EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

Edited By EpicSteve

No Caption Provided

Take a hard look at yourself. You're fat, pale, and the closest you've gotten with a girl is when you held Stacy's hand in Middle School before you gained all that weight. Look at your phone. No one in your contacts besides mom? All of this is because you're a pathetic nerd. Wait, non of that is true?

I read an article from Cracked titled “5 Reasons It's Still Not Cool to Admit You're a Gamer”, written by David Wong. The author clearly exists in some parallel universe were anyone who ever touched a gamepad is cursed with eternal virginity. Half his arguments are statements about the game industry that “real people” wouldn't even be aware of. I mean, do your non-gaming friends know what the hell DRM and DLC even are!?

Ign's GameScoop podcast has a segment called “Knockin' Boots”. This is were the listeners email in their questions regarding love and sex. The segment is actually pretty funny, and surprisingly enlightening. However, a user asked if he should “break it” to his girlfriend that he plays games. Is that code for he's having a homosexual affair? Doing drugs? He's a Taliban spy sent to America? Or deep-down is he ashamed to own a Playstation?

Why would anyone hide a hobby? Unless of course that hobby includes teddy bears and tea-parties. We all have our secrets. However, videogames are socially acceptable and often times utilized as a social tool. Not many of my friends are hardcore gamers by a longshot, but they all own a 360 and they all play games. I'm puzzled as to why anyone would be embarrassed to be a gamer. Lets take the obvious, impressing females. No, your date doesn't care about that purple drop you looted in WoW last night, but you being a gamer isn't going to be a deal-breaker if she was thinking about giving you some.

I've dated a lot of attractive girls in my life. I never dated a “gamer girl”, but all of them were actually interested in learning to play games. Or at least didn't care about how I spent my free time. Females typically have a mind set that outside the Wii, videogames are just a guy-thing. Our girls go shopping, we play Halo. Tell your love-interest you enjoy gaming, but like any subject she may not care about, don't go on about it.

I'm probably more into games than anyone that knows me has ever met. I love reading reviews and news and my life is planed with a job in game journalism in mind. I mean, who else would piss-away four years of education for that? Who else goes to war to get that? However, I'm not a loser. I'm healthy, in-shape, I'm social, I go to parties most weekends, and I'm getting married to an attractive girl who has a GiantBomb-signed Dsi and wears the Vinny shirt to college time to time. Not because she gives a shit about games, but just wants to include herself in my hobby.

There exists a type of person that makes us look bad. It's that guy. You know, that guy. That guy who wears his faded black “For the Horde!” T-Shirt, reads Manga at school and doesn't have good hygiene. There's also that muscle-head guy who always shows-off how many push-ups he can do in 2 minutes (I can do 83), that guy who talks about his car too much (I have an 01' Eclipse GT), and that guy who drinks too much (I drank like 2 whole cases a couple of weeks ago). So every activity has its assholes.  

Also, anyone who does looks-down on gamers is weird. I've never encountered that person but I'm sure they exist, it's something I'll never understand. You can Larp for all people care, but it's about how you present yourself. A person is a loser based on how the act and carry themselves, not their hobbies. That's the only reason you'll ever need. 
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By EpicSteve

No Caption Provided

Take a hard look at yourself. You're fat, pale, and the closest you've gotten with a girl is when you held Stacy's hand in Middle School before you gained all that weight. Look at your phone. No one in your contacts besides mom? All of this is because you're a pathetic nerd. Wait, non of that is true?

I read an article from Cracked titled “5 Reasons It's Still Not Cool to Admit You're a Gamer”, written by David Wong. The author clearly exists in some parallel universe were anyone who ever touched a gamepad is cursed with eternal virginity. Half his arguments are statements about the game industry that “real people” wouldn't even be aware of. I mean, do your non-gaming friends know what the hell DRM and DLC even are!?

Ign's GameScoop podcast has a segment called “Knockin' Boots”. This is were the listeners email in their questions regarding love and sex. The segment is actually pretty funny, and surprisingly enlightening. However, a user asked if he should “break it” to his girlfriend that he plays games. Is that code for he's having a homosexual affair? Doing drugs? He's a Taliban spy sent to America? Or deep-down is he ashamed to own a Playstation?

Why would anyone hide a hobby? Unless of course that hobby includes teddy bears and tea-parties. We all have our secrets. However, videogames are socially acceptable and often times utilized as a social tool. Not many of my friends are hardcore gamers by a longshot, but they all own a 360 and they all play games. I'm puzzled as to why anyone would be embarrassed to be a gamer. Lets take the obvious, impressing females. No, your date doesn't care about that purple drop you looted in WoW last night, but you being a gamer isn't going to be a deal-breaker if she was thinking about giving you some.

I've dated a lot of attractive girls in my life. I never dated a “gamer girl”, but all of them were actually interested in learning to play games. Or at least didn't care about how I spent my free time. Females typically have a mind set that outside the Wii, videogames are just a guy-thing. Our girls go shopping, we play Halo. Tell your love-interest you enjoy gaming, but like any subject she may not care about, don't go on about it.

I'm probably more into games than anyone that knows me has ever met. I love reading reviews and news and my life is planed with a job in game journalism in mind. I mean, who else would piss-away four years of education for that? Who else goes to war to get that? However, I'm not a loser. I'm healthy, in-shape, I'm social, I go to parties most weekends, and I'm getting married to an attractive girl who has a GiantBomb-signed Dsi and wears the Vinny shirt to college time to time. Not because she gives a shit about games, but just wants to include herself in my hobby.

There exists a type of person that makes us look bad. It's that guy. You know, that guy. That guy who wears his faded black “For the Horde!” T-Shirt, reads Manga at school and doesn't have good hygiene. There's also that muscle-head guy who always shows-off how many push-ups he can do in 2 minutes (I can do 83), that guy who talks about his car too much (I have an 01' Eclipse GT), and that guy who drinks too much (I drank like 2 whole cases a couple of weeks ago). So every activity has its assholes.  

Also, anyone who does looks-down on gamers is weird. I've never encountered that person but I'm sure they exist, it's something I'll never understand. You can Larp for all people care, but it's about how you present yourself. A person is a loser based on how the act and carry themselves, not their hobbies. That's the only reason you'll ever need. 
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Snipzor

Although I'm still the exception to the reality, I've never dated any girls to date... I wonder why?

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Jadeskye

must resist urge to cool story bro you...

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

Here's a reason: it's intellectually stimulating. *goes on to suck the cock of the game industry, particularly those of my favorite games*

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

Technically you realize that it's the number 4 in that article (well, 17-year-old douchebags, anyways) that would have a problem with the number 5.  Why should you be so obsessed with being 'normal'?  People that care about that sort of stuff aren't worth your time anyways.

Pocky4Th3Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Pocky4Th3Win

My reason? My GF finds it attractive... seriously... I mentioned one day about selling my PS2 games (I have over 200) and she freaked.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EpicSteve
@Snipzor said:
" Although I'm still the exception to the reality, I've never dated any girls to date... I wonder why? "
Your videogame habits aren't the reason. 
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ninjakiller
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Snipzor
@EpicSteve said:
" @Snipzor said:
" Although I'm still the exception to the reality, I've never dated any girls to date... I wonder why? "
Your videogame habits aren't the reason.  "
Also not being a lesbian is another ;)
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King
@EpicSteve said:
" @Snipzor said:
Mind telling us what the major problem seems to be? Is it that I'm married (it's only political!), or is it something else?
Zen313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Zen313

Your a retard if you think gamers cant get females. WTF? Only simple minded people think that. I have a beautiful girl(check out my page if you dont beleive me) and she plays games and reads manga. Doing none of those activities makes you any less than anyone else. Heres a question, what do you "cool" people like to do for fun? 

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Zen313 said:
what do you "cool" people like to do for fun?
Certainly not the things we do, that's why they're cool.
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By bonbolapti

then you got lucky?

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ninjakiller
@Snipzor said:
" @EpicSteve said:
" @Snipzor said:
Also not being a lesbian is another ;) "
I KNOW WHY IT'S CAUSE SNIPZOR IS A CATHOLIC PRIEST.  Yep, that's the only conclusion one could make from his statements.  He's forbidden to date/marry. 
apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By apathylad

The funny thing about Wong's article is that his '5 Reasons' can be attributed to all aspects of "geek culture". Comic book fans, anime fans, etc. all get stereotyped of being socially awkward, and elitist snobs when it comes to their hobby. Some people might think that comics and games both have poor stories compared to novels as well.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EvilTwin
@EpicSteve: I think you linked a picture of your girlfriend twice. 
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EpicSteve
@EvilTwin said:
" @EpicSteve: I think you linked a picture of your girlfriend twice.  "
Oops, thanks for pointing that out. The link to the original article is up. 
threeve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By threeve

I read this cracked article this morning.  I liked it.  I like David Wong.  I agree that if you admit to people who don't play games that you consider yourself a "gamer" then you are setting yourself up for ridicule.  I don't talk about games to anyone but those that I play games with.  I don't reference video games in my daily conversations.  There is definitely a stigma attached to playing video games, and I aim to avoid that stigma.  I'm sorry if it offends you that such a stigma exists.  

P.S.  I'm married and have a child.  My wife obviously knows that I like to play video games.  What I will choose to do as far as games are concerned as my daughter gets older is an issue that I think about a lot.  The most likely scenario is that she will never know that I ever touched a video game.  Because video games are for children, right?

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Evilsbane
@threeve:  I agree with what you said and I can understand not using in normal conversation (few due) but hidding it from you kid is a terrible thing to due, video games are fun and there are few enough women who game as it is.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Video_Game_King
@threeve: 

That is the wrong way! Teach her of the ways video games can benefit mankind! Combat the wrongs of humanity, and enlighten her with the truth!
Fuzz_Butt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fuzz_Butt

I read your post and didn't find a reason on why it's cool to admit that you're a gamer. Anybody?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EpicSteve
@threeve said:
" I read this cracked article this morning.  I liked it.  I like David Wong.  I agree that if you admit to people who don't play games that you consider yourself a "gamer" then you are setting yourself up for ridicule.  I don't talk about games to anyone but those that I play games with.  I don't reference video games in my daily conversations.  There is definitely a stigma attached to playing video games, and I aim to avoid that stigma.  I'm sorry if it offends you that such a stigma exists.    P.S.  I'm married and have a child.  My wife obviously knows that I like to play video games.  What I will choose to do as far as games are concerned as my daughter gets older is an issue that I think about a lot.  The most likely scenario is that she will never know that I ever touched a video game.  Because video games are for children, right? "
You can totally play games with your daughter assuming shes not a baby. 
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mutha3
@bonbolapti said:
" then you got lucky? "
Doubt it. None of the nerds I know in real life fit the common stereotype at all(I only know one gamer, but plenty of comic/anime nerds).

Actually, In my experience, nerds tend to be more attractive and intelligent then people of other walks of life:P
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By LiquidPrince

This is exactly why Steve is epic. This and a few other things.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Belonpopo

I'm proud to admit I'm a gamer because people automatically think I'm a computer expert and believe I can steal their IP address and stuff.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Binman88
@EpicSteve: I think Bob Kelso said it best, so I cut this clip out of an episode of Scrubs to illustrate my opinion on this matter.

@Fuzz_Butt: I did, you must have missed it.
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mutha3
@Fuzz_Butt said:
" I read your post and didn't find a reason on why it's cool to admit that you're a gamer. Anybody? "
''most people don't  give a fuck about what you do with your time''

...was that a accurate summary? :P
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EpicSteve
@mutha3 said:
" @Fuzz_Butt said:
" I read your post and didn't find a reason on why it's cool to admit that you're a gamer. Anybody? "
''most people don't  give a fuck about what you do with your time''  ...was that a accurate summary? :P "
Yep. No one cares what you do. It's all about how you carry yourself. 
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bonbolapti
@mutha3:  meh, Everyone could fit into the stereotype, they just have to be comfortable to admit it.
Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lambert

Well, the characteristics that were described in that article most likely represent 101% of the Giantbomb community.

But that article is pretty shitty. He basically made arguments for shooters, yet, did not mention Half-Life, System Shock, even Bioshock which were all fantastic story-wise. He mentioned one MMO.  He didn't even mention the many, many other genres of games either. 

Unless you live in some small town, being a gamer is "cooler" than ever. I have people constantly ask me about games because they are becoming more accepted. As much as I, and others, don't like to admit, the Wii is a large part of that.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I'm sorry I fit into typical gamer stereotypes that make the rest of you look bad.  I apologize.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AlwaysAngry
@EpicSteve: WHOA! 

You're eating ice cream in your avatar pic.
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mutha3
@FluxWaveZ said:

" I'm sorry I fit into typical gamer stereotypes that make the rest of you look bad.  I apologize. "

No need, dude. We're awesome enough already :P

And I remember you mentioning that you were in High School(...right?). I know a lot of people that were reclusive and social awkward in that period of their lives but are social now, so, I'm sure thing will work out just fine(I know I was shy in middle school!). What's important in High School fades away the older you get.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Maybe in the 90's it made you look like a nerd, however these days videogames are part of popular culture. Rappers plays videogames and almost everyone had a ps2, now alot of ppl has a wii, 360. It's normal and expected that ppl are gamers, games are like entertainment, very much like movies are.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Video_Game_King
@HitmanAgent47: 

Unfortunately, that's just casual games. Remember when ScrewAttack went crazy over Soulja Boy for the Street Fighter thing? Exactly; casual gaming is accepted, but hardcore gaming isn't. Hell, you can pass yourself off as an intellectual if you watch a lot of movies, but you're just a nerd if you play a lot of games. Don't get me wrong, that acceptance is a step, but not the final one.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ryanwho

Do things you enjoy and stop being such a girl about perceptions.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Fuck people.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#38  Edited By giyanks22

Congrats on getting married man. That's awesome. Nice post, thanks again for your service. When do you ship out to Afghanistan....unfortunately it looks like Korea's going to hell also. 

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dbz1995

The stereotype that all gamers are fat, short and have no friends is completely untrue from my perspective.

12-18-I know a lot of people under this category who are extremely popular. These are probably the most hated of people online and are regarded as the basis of gamers worldwide. Not everyone is like this. Saying that every gamer is like this is like saying every black person is a delinquent. It simply isn't true for a lot of these people. Let's take for example a friend of mine called Will. He plays a fair amount of Playstation daily, yet he's in the football team, the basketball team, and he has a huge amount of friends. We (as in, our school) all regard him highly. So what if he plays MW2 an hour or so a day? He has a hobby and it doesn't deter from anything else.
19-25-I guess my brother is a good example of this. Not only is he a big gamer, he also has parents who do not want him to have a girlfriend (because they want to arrange a marriage for him later). Yet he plays, and now, as well as being in the cricket team and table tennis team for his university, he has a girlfriend.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#40  Edited By Yummylee

I just told a whole team of football players that I'm a gamer!!...They then pillaged my property and raped my woman....I don't feel cool at all.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#41  Edited By JJWeatherman

lol @ Larp. 

I've never personally run into a person that looks down on gamers either. That would be the same as someone looking down on someone for fishing, or playing basketball, or collecting something. It doesn't make any sense.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By Jeust
@Abyssfull said:

" I just told a whole team of football players that I'm a gamer!!...They then pillaged my property and raped my woman....I don't feel cool at all. "

Nobody knows i'm a gamer outside of my close friends and partners.  Where i live it isn't as well-accepted as that. Never had a gamer girlfriend. :(
nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By nail1080

cool story brah

RedneckedCrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RedneckedCrake

Some people just confuse the hell out of me. 

Seriously, just be yourself. If you want to dress in trashy video game t-shirts and play games all day, fucking do it. NO ONE is stopping you. As long as you can afford to pay for it and keep a good financial standing, the government couldn't care less what the fuck you do. 

In high school, I was fairly popular. This is coming from someone who was #2 in his graduating class, AND got Valedictorian because I took higher level classes than #1. People were well aware that I played video games, I wore Halo t-shirts and other various things. However, I balanced out that hobby by doing sports like cross country and track. I acted how I wanted to act, said what I wanted to say, and did what I wanted to do, and no one had a problem with it. I don't really like people much, I thought most of the kids were "squares" as me and my sister call them, but that didn't stop me from being in relationships and having friends. Being a gamer does NOT mean you have to be a social outcast. It's just that stereotype that is pissing me off. When I took the bus to meets during track season, video games was the number one topic.

This dude and so many others are full of shit when they say gamers can't have lives. If you want to sit inside all day, play games, and get fat, you're still a person. I'm still going to treat you like one.

RedneckedCrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RedneckedCrake
@JJWeatherman said:
" lol @ Larp.  I've never personally run into a person that looks down on gamers either. That would be the same as someone looking down on someone for fishing, or playing basketball, or collecting something. It doesn't make any sense. "
Can't stress this statement enough. 

Gaming is a hobby like any other. Men nowadays want to be seen as manly and strong and most of them walk around like they want to beat someone's ass because they have so much fucking pent up aggression and have never been in a fight in their life. Fact of the matter is, that's NOT a real man. The definition of a real man is someone who is secure with who he is and works hard to get what he wants.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#46  Edited By Claude

I love my hobby and I wear it proud.

Manchild FTW!!!
 Manchild FTW!!!

I need a couple more shirts though. The Wii is not my only gaming machine.
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ArchScabby

I wish I was cool.

Avatar image for griefersstolemykeyboard
griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have any friends or any of the sort, and I am well kinda ugly I guess. And I frequently play games.

Thing is, video games has nothing to do with the fact that I am a ugly loner, and people who for some reason still thinks so are either:

A) Idiots.

B) People insecure about themselves.

C) Old people.

D) All of the above.

LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By LeetBalla

My eyes left the article wondering how this topic is even relevant. Also, the title of this blog is misleading; no where in the article do you actually address why being a gamer is "cool". You do, however, address why you think gaming is socially acceptable.

Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Organicalistic_
@Apathylad said:
" The funny thing about Wong's article is that his '5 Reasons' can be attributed to all aspects of "geek culture". Comic book fans, anime fans, etc. all get stereotyped of being socially awkward, and elitist snobs when it comes to their hobby. Some people might think that comics and games both have poor stories compared to novels as well. "
My gf digs anime, i really dont as much.