Out of the Game Podcast. The next GFW radio?

Scorched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Scorched
Out of the Game is a new biweekly podcast featuring Shawn Elliott, Jeff Green, Robert Ashley, Luke Smith, and N'gai Croal.  An outstanding cast.
I'm very excited about this podcast.  Fans of GFW radio "The Brodeo" will love this podcast.
Currently they are episode 2.
This will probably be the equivalent of GFW radio to me.  Just wish it was weekly.
Though I should spread this news to others.
mchew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By mchew

I listened to the first episode earlier today and i thought it wasnt too bad for a first episode, considering the cast they could really talk about anything and it would make a solid podcast.

Plus.... N'gai? Podcast? Sold!

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By prinny_god

having N'gai there completely unsold me

Scorched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Scorched

Why would the presence of N'gai unsell you?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jayge_

Man I hate N'Gai.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Lies
Jayge said:
"Man I hate N'Gai."
It's cause he's black isn't it?
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jayge_
Lies said:
"Jayge said:
"Man I hate N'Gai."
It's cause he's black isn't it?"
No, but his whole racism in re5 shitstorm is a large contributor.
Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Cheapoz
Jayge said:
"Lies said:
"Jayge said:
"Man I hate N'Gai."
"
And the longwinded post-storm explanation of such.

I don't mind him mostly, but that was laughable.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jayge_
rottendevice said:
"I don't understand why the internet (i.e. NeoGAF) has shown so much resentment toward N'Gai Croal lately.  Was it to do with his RE5 comments?  Is it just trendy?I think N'Gai is a great addition to any podcast.  He's an intellegent guy with a lot of interesting ideas and opinions, which is more than I can say about a lot of people on podcasts."
I'm not a fan of most of the hardcore-games-discussion verbose bloggers that write interrelated features with each other about common sense things that anyone could realize for themselves after 5 minutes of introspection. Unless you ask me about Leigh Alexander >.>

A podcast with this lineup sounds like another Rebel FM, which is something I DO NOT WANT. I'll stick with my Bombcast, where awesome, informative, hilarious interviews and discussions take place without ridiculous, meaningless overhead, and Three Red Lights, where IGN editors continuously make fun of everyone who thinks they take their jobs seriously in the slightest.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By penguindust

The podcast is good.  I mentioned it over in the "How many podcasts do you listen to" thread.  It's worth a listen for Jeff Green and Shawn Elliott alone.  RebelFm has been getting on my nerves as of late with it's randomness, but they are young and recently lost a founder to Sony.  The only downside to Out of the Game so far is the low sound quality but that's likely do to Skypeing the group together.  I think it has a lot of potential though to hear the observations of mature people now a part of the industry.  For really in depth commentary on video games, Idle Thumbs is probably the best podcast in production right now.  Well, that's my opinion, at least.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

N'gai is the most pretentious fuck on the planet. No thanks.

MC_Izawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MC_Izawa

I'll admit, N'Gai was usually an automatic podcast delete, but he's not his usual self on this one.  Maybe it's because it seems like Luke and Robert don't like to talk about pretentious indie game bullshit so he doesn't even dare bring them up.  Hey, he even made a joke about the whole RE5 racism thing.  I'm happy about it regardless since it brings the lost podcast gods back together.

Scorched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Scorched
Cheapoz said:
"Jayge said:
"Lies said:
"Jayge said:
"Man I hate N'Gai."
"
And the longwinded post-storm explanation of such.

I don't mind him mostly, but that was laughable.
"
true
and yeah he's hella pretentious
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Since when did a little bit of pretentiousness hurt anyone?

Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Ghostin

I'm not sure it's the new GFW but it is a cool podcast.  I get the feeling this is more an excuse for Jeff, Shawn and Robert to stay in touch, but I'm cool with that.  Listened to all so far and while they are ostensibly not about games, they are all interesting.

The N'Gai thing I read more and more, and honestly is starting to piss me off... while not always on the mark his take on games is often refreshing.  As a guy who read a lot of his work, I am more than happy he can still comment on games through this podcast.

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mercator

I like this podcast but mainly because its alittle more relaxed and not as videogame focused. My favorite podcast from the whole 1up fallout was, much to my surprise, the geekbox. The reason is its more casual. Rebel FM is a bad episode or two away from being unsubcribed too because I cant stand that Arthur guy and the overall serious tone of their "discussions." Truth be told even Ryan's attempts to reign in the bombcast I find irratating. If a podcast gets on a 30 minute rant about Jedi, weird sexual practices, crazy shit on the internet, or the history of the Wu Tang Clan, I will probably enjoy it more.

I hope out of the game continues to be just that, off of the topic of games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rebel FM just gets worse and worse. I've stopped listening to it, though I'm gonna listen to their Game Club thingy about Bully they're starting since I thought that game was pretty great.

I've downloaded Out Of The Game due to how great GFW was, but haven't had the time to have a listen.
Don't wanna listen to N'gai though. that dude can just fuck off. His opinion is absolutely moot to me after what he's done.

Scorched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Scorched

I actually still like Rebel FM, and all the cat action that goes down in it.
I've pretty much accepted that there will never be another GFW radio though which sucks.
I kinda hate change considering it has killed all my favorite podcasts, and replaced them with new podcasts that are not as good.

Avatar image for alfredpmclovely
AlfredPMcLovely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AlfredPMcLovely

All the guys on that podcast are smart dudes, but I have to admit, after he started that RE5 racism ridiculousness I lost a lot of respect for N'Gai and would almost rather he wasn't on the show.  Its a video game that takes place in Africa, what did you expect?  Eskimos?  Such a retarded topic that too many video game enthusiasts pretended to be journalists while covering.  I'm sure I'll get over it eventually because I still think N'Gai is an intelligent person.

Plus, I can't stay away from any recording that has Jeff Green's "Hello and welcome" as the introduction.
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By mracoon

I like the podcast because it's got the views of people who aren't games journalist (except N'Gai and Robert who still do some journalism stuff) but are still in the games industry, so it's cool to get another perpective. Also they're all funny and so even the more boring parts can still be entertaining.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By FlipperDesert
AlfredPMcLovely said:
"Its a video game that takes place in Africa, what did you expect?  Eskimos?"
No, that's in RE6 dude.

I've only ever really listened to the Bombcast and Idle Thumbs, looking this up now on iTunes
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pause422

It sounds good at first definitely, but I would only want Jeff, Robert and Shawn on a podcast either by themselves, or with someone other than N'gai because he annoys the fuck out of me and knows shit for anything. I loved GFW Radio, but this is definitely not that again.

austinj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By austinj

I'm not a huge fan of N'gai either... every time he's on the 1up podcast he acts as if he's better than everyone else.