PC Gaming or Console Gaming? Which do you prefer and why?

• 109 results
miko1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm 80% console gamer and 20% PC gamer. If I were to choose one, I would go with console. I reckon my two foremost reasons for going with a Console is I) for the exclusives etc. Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, Last of Us, Gears of war II) I prefer to play games on the BIG screen, instead of a smaller PC screen. Also, with Console, you get free games each month if you subscribe to PS Plus or XBOX Live.

What about you guys? Please submit with your unique responses on why he prefer Console or PC gaming. Thanks guys.

- Miko1222

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can play PC games on your tv. Those games aren't free since you're paying for them.

The only difference between the two is PC games look better.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like console gaming because it's just a more relaxed experience for me, just turn it on and play some games. I'm not that intense anymore when it comes to video games.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Sooty

PC. Looks better, runs better, it's quicker to get into games - I consider it a negative having to move to the couch and turn a console + TV + amp on. It might sound lazy but it's one less barrier to hopping on a game.

That said I still play on console because exclusives. I like both, but I prefer the experience of PC. Being able to tab out and do something else for a few moments or easily load up background music/podcasts is a great bonus.

As for screen size it's a non issue, my PC is connected to both my plasma TV and a 27" monitor. When I'm using my TV I use surround sound speakers, when I'm at my desk I use my headphones. (which I find more immersive than speakers) My monitor is pretty big so I don't really care about moving to the couch because of how close I sit to my monitor it's just as immersive as a big TV to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

100% PC gaming. I've owned consoles from the megadrive/genesis up to the ps2 but haven't had any interest in them since then. Saying that I'd like to play forza or gt but trying them out after playing on a PC with SSDs, the loading times turned me off completely.

In response to the big screen, I've got a cheaper mATX media pc for steam streaming & I'm pretty sure with all the sales the 'free' subscription console games work out to be more expensive.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RonGalaxy

@hunkulese said:

You can play PC games on your tv. Those games aren't free since you're paying for them.

The only difference between the two is PC games look better.

And cost a lot more upfront if you want them to look better.

Edit: I really shouldn't have commented. I dont feel like arguing about this; to anyone who wants to comment back at me.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By beforet

I'm in a PC place right now. Not from any real devotion to the platform, but because I don't have the money to upgrade my consoles, and PC is where the nice framerate lives. Steam sales of yore have also equipped me with a bounty of games I've yet to play, but then so have PS+. I would not mind switching to console and having my PC become primarily a workstation, though.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I like how console games are guaranteed to work with a controller and you don't need to worry about optimizing for your rig. I like having both PC and consoles, so I can choose the version that fits best for me. The best thing about PC is cheap games from steam sales etc.

I'm not a graphics whore so as long as the console version runs fine I'm ok playing the console. It's worse now at the end of the PS3 and 360 life cycle that the difference between versions is more considerable. But between PS4 and PC versions I'll probably be perfectly happy playing the PS4 version opposed to buying a new video card for my PC.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

95% PC; 5% 3DS; nothing about using home consoles appeal to me, so I haven't had one since the original PlayStation.

Also, paying for my Giant Bomb subscription gives me access to all site content for free, right?

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC. Started there (well, okay I started on a Sears Pong game and then the mini computer at my Dad's office [Adventure/Colossal Cave and Trek])... I like the flexibility, couch or desk, KB/M or Controller or HOTAS or Wheel or...

Do I love my consoles, sure, but I like the PC juuuuuust a bit more...

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#11  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I'm primarily a PC gamer, but I've traditionally liked console games for not having to be patched all the time, not needing any CD keys (or code wheels and other copy protection nonsense computer games used to have) and it all being contained on the tape or disc it shipped on. But the past few generations have rapidly implemented all the bad parts about PC gaming, while offering little advantage over the PC experience, so I'm not quite sure anymore. I guess I still like playing with a game controller though - having a standardized control device that you can hold in your hands, not forcing you to sit in front of the screen with one hand on the keyboard and the other on the mouse is worth the slight sacrifice in accuracy to me, but then, gamepads have made a huge comeback on PC in the past 5 years too, and since the 360 pad has become the de-facto standard, that part isn't much of an advantage either.

So, yeah, console gaming is weird these days, I still consider getting an PS4 and possibly the WiiU, but as for why, I'm not sure.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#12  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

Used to play more console games than PC games even though I preferred playing PC games, now I haven't turned on my consoles in a couple months. Been chipping away at my Steam catalog trying to get under 100 unplayed games. Currently at 140.

As for why, games can look better, perform better, and have much greater variety than console games. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy playing games on console, and there are exclusives that I feel are definitely worth playing that I wish wouldn't be held from the PC. However, I have played 312 hours of Skyrim due to mods that I just wouldn't be able to do on consoles.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to be a console gamer but then 4 years ago I got a gaming PC and have been playing on the PC ever since. I still play some games on my PS3 (like Dark Souls 2. For now) but everything else has been on the PC. Soon though I'll probably need to update some of my parts and I have no idea what to replace and what to keep, so that kind of makes me nervous.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Stealthmaster86

Anything that can play games. I don't have a powerful computer, but it can play some of the older games like Half Life. I got a PlayStation 3 while hoping to get a PlayStation 4 by the end of the month. If I was super rich, I would get a PlayStation 4, Wii-U, Xbox One, and a powerful top of the line PC for gaming.

If I have to choose, it would be consoles. I grew up with consoles, but I'll play a PC game if I can.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I typically identify myself as a PC gamer, but I've been really getting into playing my Vita lately, so I guess a mixture of the two. I have no intentions of buying a PS4 or an Xbone any time soon (if ever), but I definitely need to upgrade my computer desperately, since games coming out later this year are apparently using what I have in my system as its minimum requirements. Though I still have a year, since The Witcher 3 was delayed - THAT is the game I'm upgrading my PC for!

Edit: As for why I'm a PC gamer, well, I guess it's just because the computer is a much better machine than the consoles? I have instant internet access, I can easily minimize my games and do other things, and stuff like that. I know the consoles can sorta do the same thing too, but it's just a lot easier and MUCH quicker with a keyboard. Though the plus side to consoles is that I don't get as distracted as easily - the impulse to check Giantbomb or view any other random webpage isn't really there, so it has that going for it.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

console gaming i just like the UI and simplicity of it. I like PC gaming but console gaming is where i primary spend my time.

Gantrathor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gantrathor

I will move between console and PC depending on what takes my fancy at the time. I don't see one as being superior to the other, though they both have their advantages.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

When i first got my pc i did most of my gaming there but since then i moved back to my consoles, i like mods and the raw power of pcs but i prefer the simplicity of my consoles. I just like grabbing my controller, laying on the couch, and playing some games. I also like Trophies, that draws me in with that platinum shiny goodness.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Console gamer with PC gaming on the side. There are little nitpicky things that bug the shit out of me on PC's. Sound stupid, but for example I hate that in most games on PC (even those with native controller support) you see the mouse button pop up on the screen from time to time, or when you open menus and stuff. I also hate how Steam has to update literally every single time I launch it if I don't just have it running in the background at all times. Tons of other little stuff that make me gravitate towards console gaming.

Also, a big reason is that my friends mostly play on consoles, so joining up with them is always easier then on PC where I only have a few of my friends. That and I just find it more fun to compare Trophies then I do Steam Achievements.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By s10129107

The last generation i had both consoles for the exclusives and for fighting games, but i have so many games on the PC and i play most of my games there for the following reasons.

1. Steam and Windows. My collection is mostly in one place with a couple of outlyers here and there. If I build a new computer, no big deal. I can always play my old games. I played Soul Reaver the other day and it totally worked. Backward compatibility is a non issue.
  2. Game Variety ("Exclusives"). Any console game can be played on the PC. There are a wide variety of PC games that cannot be played on Console (or not played well). Mostly RTS games, like Total War or Star Craft, but there are many other types as well. Think about it, how many games are "exclusive" to PC. There are quite a lot (particularly indie games). There are less "block buster" exclusives as they just don't have the same kind of ad money behind them.
  3. Free Online. I don't pay for multiplayer ever on the PC (i don't play MMOs).
  4. Games are a lot cheaper. Between Steam sales and Humble Bundles i've acquired a massive collection with no weird subscriptions necessary.
  5. Pride. I like putting together my computer and i form a sort of emotional attachment to it. It's unique to me. I was a bit heart broken when my last one died after 7 years of service.
  6. Performance. My PC generally performs better than any console. I spent a lot on it, about 800 dollars, so it damn well better. When the time comes that my PC can't handle newer releases then i can scale the graphics down a bit and still play games. Last generation my computer lasted 7 years with just a RAM upgrade and went toe to toe (if not better initially) with the consoles visually for almost it's entire life span. This generation, because the console architecture is so much more like PC architecture, i doubt i'll have to upgrade much for the life of the console cycle.
  7. Customizable. If you have the scratch for a blazing fast solid state hard drive, just go put one in. It's easy, no bullshit. The variety of different hardware you can install in that thing is limitless. If you're big into producing music you can put a pretty sophisticated sound board into it. You can put a TV tuner into it. You could put a ginormous hard drive into it and make it a DVR if you want. You can put a Blue Ray drive in it. You can put a card reader in it. You can even install data acquisition hardware and control external devices.
  8. All in One Entertainment. You know how XBOX 1 is trying to be an all in one entertainment center. My PC already is an all in one entertainment center. I have it hooked to my TV and a monitor and the stereo. Wanna watch netflix? No problem. Wanna throw in a movie? No problem. Wanna cruise the internet? There is no better solution. Wanna play a game on the couch with a controller? Go for it. Want to play with the Mouse and Keyboard on the monitor? That's great!
  9. Precision. I've been playing with the mouse and keyboard for a long time so it feels like i have a handicap when i play a shooter with a controller. It's a shame you can't have force feedback with a mouse though.
  10. Accessories. There are no weird proprietary accessories. There is also a wide variety of stuff you can use with it. Hook a Tablet up to it. Any kind of headphones, or blue tooth dongles, or cameras or whatever.
  11. Community. There are a lot of things to do with a computer and there are people on the internet to help you through just about anything. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/ That is the Skyrim modding community. It's gigantic.
  12. Modding. Modding games is totally fun and can completely change the game. It can be like a whole new thing. Games like Team Fortress or Black Mesa Source would never exist without it. It also helps you learn how to build assets if you wanna actually mode stuff.
  13. Environments. Want to play an android game on your computer. You can do that. Wanna play a linux thing? You can do that. Wanna play an old DOS game. You can do that. Wanna play a game in HTML. You can do that.
  14. Usability. A computer you can play games on is a computer you can do photoshop on. It's a computer you can do 3ds max on. It's a computer you can do MATLAB on. It's a computer you can do AutoCad on. You can write code with it. You can produce music on it. You can draw 2d art. You can animate on it. It does everything.
  15. Music and Picture Libraries. They are just so much easier to navigate through than on a console. Consoles just don't do those things well.
  16. No Proprietary Software Bullshit. Means i'll never be forced to use a service i don't want to use.
  17. Upgradable. Computer lagging behind? Overclock it. Can't, don't want to or already done it you're still lagging? Get a new videocard and put some more RAM in. It'll be current a couple more years.

There are probably more things but those are the most important ones to me (unless i forgot something important to me). There are some downsides to the PC but for me the Highs of a powerful PC are so high that there is no comparison. There is absolutely no incentive for me to get a game on console if it's out for PC (with the notable exception of fighting games. Ragequiting on SF4 on PC was super bad for me [people just ALT F4 when they're losing] and that's not to mention people with bad framerates slowing the frame rate down for everybody. The experience is really uneven. i'll not play any big fighting game save for Dive Kick on PC ever again). I know I mentioned some things in there that weren't specifically gaming related but it's a big part of the experience for me.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

In the last year I've mainly become a PC gamer after being a console gamer my whole life. I think I've officially defected to the platform.

The PC experience is just a heck of a lot more flexible, customizable and convenient. That didn't used to be true, but steam and services like that have completely changed the ballgame. I have my entire library installed on my SSHD and available in a couple clicks.

And thanks to steam and Gog sales etc, PC is much less expensive to acquire software and quicker. for whatever I have more friends who games there more regularly too.

I do really miss a lot of console exclusives mainly from Japanese publishers (mainly Nintendo, Square Enix, Atlus and Capcom) and will bust out my consoles for those.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Used to be primarily console but now I'm nearly all in on PC. I wouldn't say 100% PC because I would still get a console if the machine had several titles I couldn't get anywhere else.

miko1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@s10129107:

True for most of your things.

But, can you really play ANY console game on PC? Even Heavy Rain and Last of Us?

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Both because I don't miss out on any games or sales. And because it lets everyone know how baller I am.

BALLER TIME

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By JoeyRavn

PC, all the way, all the time. I don't even have a "current gen" console. I have a Wii U for the exclusive that really matter (3D World, NSMBU, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Zelda, etc.), and a 3DS because its has an incredible library (plus it's Nintendo, and it shits all over that Vita crap). But I spend most, if not all, of my gaming time on PC. Better graphics, better performance, better prices. Sure, it costs more than a console upfront if you want games to look better (about the same or even less if you are OK with console-like quality), but in the long rung it's cheaper, more practical and more versatile.

@beachthunder said:

95% PC; 5% 3DS; nothing about using home consoles appeal to me, so I haven't had one since the original PlayStation.

Also, paying for my Giant Bomb subscription gives me access to all site content for free, right?

I really like you. You seem like a cool duder. You're on my good list, cool duder.

@miko1222 said:

@s10129107:

True for most of your things.

But, can you really play ANY console game on PC? Even Heavy Rain and Last of Us?

How is that even an argument? Can you play ANY PC game on consoles? How's that Civ V on your consoles? Goat Simulator? Diablo II? Might and Magic X? ARMA 3? Amnesia? The Stanley Parable? Dota 2? Starcraft II? Guild Wars? League of Legends? Sins of a Solar Empire? Neverwinter Nights? And so on and so forth. @s10129107 put a massive list of positive aspects of PC gaming, and yet it's somehow trumped by the fact that Heavy Rain and The Last of Us are exclusive to PS3? Yeah, dude, whatever.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always done both. Having a semi-decent PC and a PlayStation growing up (as well as a Master-System II that my brother and I "borrowed" from our cousins for an extended period of time), I never had to choose. That trend continues to this day.

miko1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joeyravn:

You don't get what I'm trying to say. Sure, he did manage to list some PC exclusives, but it's a bold statement to say he can play ANY console game. And... it isn't just Heavy Rain and Last of Us. What about Beyond Two Souls, Metal Gear Solid, Gears of War 2, Forza Motorsport Series, Uncharted Series. Now you're the one who's overlooking.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm primarily a gamer.

I don't have a pie chart to divide up my time spent between playing games on console, PC, handhelds or tablets.

I just play my games and I'm happy with that.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By glots

My PC isn't top-notch enough to run some games without them looking like garbage, so that's already one reason for why I usually stick to console versions. One other would be exclusives, no explanation needed for that, I imagine. But some recent games have worked fine enough on this machine, (Bioshock Infinite, DmC and South Park) so if given the chance of paying 20-45 euros of a better-working game instead of 50-70 of the console version, I'll gladly choose the first one. I can also just hop to a nearby couch, connect my pc to telly and then just snatch the 360 controller.

So that said, console gaming, I suppose. I played Far Cry 3 happily from start to finish, even if that first-time look at that GB comparison between the platforms made me cringe. There's only really been a handful of games on PS3, where the techincal jankiness bothered me so much that it affected my enjoyment of the game a bit. Still, I played them through.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By HH

i stopped using my gaming pc about a year ago, too uncomfortable for my back and for my hands, and too much faffing and maintenance.

i've got oblivion modded up to the nines and running as smooth as hell, but i still prefer playing the vanilla on my 360 because that's where i really get sucked in and lose track of time.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm mostly PC, but I usually buy consoles for mostly Fighting games and some specific games. I don't play multiplatform games on consoles, usually go for PC for the most superficial little effects or I can just alt tab and play some Music instead. I also prefer Nintendo portable consoles over their home consoles since the n64.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Christoffer

PC all the way. More variety in the types of games avaliable. Generally better looking and better performing. More freedom to tweak and mod to my liking. I usually prefer mouse and keyboard and I usually don't care about the console exclusives.

So there's my reasons. If I would get a console it would be a WiiU, seems like the best complement to a PC in terms of game variety.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Pezen

I wouldn't say I am exclusively either, it goes back and forth. Right now I am spending more time playing games on my computer than I am on either consoles. But I am sure that'll swing back the other way some week.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I own every system I want but my PC is hooked up to my tv and surround system and runs circles around my ps4 and x1. I prefer to game on it. It's probably why my 350+ steam collection eclipses my total console game collection so much.

Ioan-Alexandru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@miko1222 said:

@joeyravn:

You don't get what I'm trying to say. Sure, he did manage to list some PC exclusives, but it's a bold statement to say he can play ANY console game. And... it isn't just Heavy Rain and Last of Us. What about Beyond Two Souls, Metal Gear Solid, Gears of War 2, Forza Motorsport Series, Uncharted Series. Now you're the one who's overlooking.

Dont put Sony and Microsoft exclusives togheter. PC is A platform, not two. You cant play a bunch of those on a single console either.

Saying you prefer a console for it's exclusives is a valid statement and no one can disagree with you. If you dont care as much about the graphics and just want those games then more power to you.

But the same can be said for the PC. The greater variety in indie titles, strategy games, modding, the ability to play hundreads of games from various generations easily are all things that make people prefer PC over a console. Even stuff like Dota 2 and LoL that are incredibly popular; many of those players are very invested in those games and dont care about console titles.

I am way into turn based and realtime strategy, but I also play a ton of multiplats, making my PC the prefered platform.

smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What if I play my console games on my PC? What does that say about me?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

To me, playing on a console is just a little bit more relaxing. I also like having the option of renting games, borrowing them from friends, or selling them when I'm done with them, this comes up a whole lot for me. It's nice to have menus that are designed around controllers too, I hate having to juggle my keyboard, controller, and mouse. This is probably my fault for playing in a recliner instead of at a desk though.

But I love using my PC too. Those load times man, I can't imagine how great it will be when I get an ssd.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smokeyd123: it says you like to play games at least two generations old.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@miko1222 said:

I prefer to play games on the BIG screen, instead of a smaller PC screen. Also, with Console, you get free games each month if you subscribe to PS Plus or XBOX Live.

You can buy a bigger screen. And the games are hardly "free" when you are paying more than the price of a game for a subscription to a service that isn't very good otherwise.

I really can't stand paying for online, which is probably why I've enjoyed switching to PC over the last 3 years. Also having 2 monitors means I can be way more productive while gaming. Not to mention PC games load faster and look better. The only redeeming factor for consoles to me is there are usually more of my friends on them, but that's barely true now either.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was PC early in my gaming life then I switched to console when I got a N64. After I built my rig back in September I wonder why I ever left. It's so awesome to be a PC gamer again. A lot of the reasons have all ready been listed by others. Yea the price of entry is a bit steep but once you're in you save a lot on games.

spacebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By spacebob

I've always had a gaming PC with typically 1 console. I decided to skip this generation of consoles for a few reasons.

1. There aren't may Console exclusives right now. For whatever reason developers haven't jumped on the next-gen bandwagon as quickly as they did when the 360 & PS3 were released. Perhaps when there is a good library of exclusives and a price cut in a few years I'll reconsider.
  2. The indie scene has EXPLODED on PC the past few years. The only 2 "indie" titles I purchased for the lifetime of my Xbox 360 are Fez and Braid, both of which were eventually released on PC. 8 out of 10 of GiantBomb's game of the year 2013 list can be played on PC.
  3. The consoles are PC's more than ever before. With the consolidation of Graphics Card architectures and many older CPUs still being "Powerful enough". Desktop PCs sold over the last 2-3 years have still have very capable CPUs compared to the consoles. Simply throw in a $150 GPU into your current PC and you have a very capable gaming rig. I think this accounts for the decline in PC sales over the last few years. Pretty much all PCs sold over the last 4 years are still good enough for everyday tasks. Other than games and photo/video editing software, nothing really pushes PC hardware. I also think console ports to PC will not only be easier and cheaper but be able to take advantage of the PCs power more than previous ports.

A lot of people argue that PC gaming is expensive and they're kind of right. Laying down $700-$1000 for a gaming PC is a TON of money for a lot of people. Ordering one from a boutique shop can be even more expensive. But you know what else you get? A PC! I would guess that 9/10 people who own a console have also purchased a $300-$500 laptop in the last few years. A console + laptop budget can build a killer gaming PC.

Now, if all your friends are playing on consoles then I can see an advantage of owning just a console. Not only can you couch play with them but you can trade games with eachother much easier than PC (although solutions for that are coming). Plus it's super simple to get the same experience as everyone else, just buy the same console.

My 2 cents.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither. Cardboard all the way motherfuckers!

Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a middle of the road PC (i5, 660ti) and have yet to run into a game that I can't have a good time with. I built it with the expectation of playing the latest games with better performance than my PS3. While it does that, I actually have come to appreciate PC gaming for the titles like Hotline Miami and Gunpoint, neither of which are about performance. I spend most of my time playing games that could run on a crappy laptop, but that's not the point - PC gaming has made me appreciate the functionality of games, not just how pretty they are. For the time being, those types of games are predominantly found on PCs.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Massive PC gamer, though childhood was PS2 all the way (and the Genesis). I discovered the joys of PC gaming through Steam through the Orange Box, as back then (by which I mean about 4-6 years ago), Australian retail prices for games were atrocious. Now they've evened out (a tiny bit), but buying on Steam is still the superior option (new triple A game in store=$100 , and stays at that price for quite a while, Steam is $50-$60 (depending on publisher), and you can get it for dirt cheap if you choose to wait it out). Plus I just love tinkering with stuff. I also only recently finally bought a HDMI cable and 360 controller for Windows, so I have taken to playing certain games on the big screen. I know this sounds weird, but I have a certain mental block about not being to imagine certain games being played on a console. Most of them are basically FPSs, but they include stuff like Fallout 3/NV, Deus Ex HR, Bioshock, and Dishonored. To me, those games just are 'naturally' at home on the PC.

I bought a PS3 only last year, on the cusp of PS4 release, and I already have 10+ titles for it, especially since they were all quite cheap, and some of the console/Sony exclusives are great. Considering getting a PS4 sometime next year if the rumours of PS2 emulation on it ever come to fruition, as then my PS2 games won't look terrible on my TV. If not, probably just wait for the library to fill out just like I did with the PS3.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By s10129107

@miko1222: No, I misspoke. Performance wise you can run any cross PC/Console game on the PC if your PC is powerful enough. Conversely there are a lot of games that perform beautifully on PC (and if it doesn't you can scale it down usually) but hitch on console. Also functionally you can play any cross Console/PC on the PC (you can plug whatever kind of controller in) without much trouble, save for games that use things like the Kinnect. I think i cut and paste that sentence from another bulletpoint because it fit there better and didn't read things through well enough.

Broomhitches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Broomhitches

I'm leaning more towards PC gaming now. Cheaper games and I don't have to subscribe to anything to play multiplayer.

And as a response to OP's reasons for his choice, you can play PC games on a big screen and the "free" games you get for purchasing Xbox Live/Playstation Plus, that subscription money could go towards buying a ton of games during a Steam sale or GMG.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By confusedowl

I'm more of a console gamer as of right now for several reasons:

1. I have no job so buying a console is slightly easier
  2. I grew up with them so it's what I have always played on primarily
  3. I like Jrpgs, which are almost all console/portable games
  4. Exclusives

Now all that said, two of my favourite games of all time happen to be PC games so I'm not completely biased. I still love playing on PC I just don't have one that can play most modern games right now.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd have to say I'm a console gamer, but that's simply due to my lack of a decent PC. It can play stuff like Stanley Parable and Football Manager, but nothing really more strenuous than that. Also, 60 fps still weird me the heck out for some reason, my eyes just are not used to it.

Illuminosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Illuminosopher

I have way to much trouble getting games to run just right on my PC I have no such problems on my consoles. Also I really dislike mouse keyboard for most games.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I slightly prefer consoles because that's what I grew up with. I don't have to think about drivers and settings. And that's where most of my friends are.

But there are certain series I simply refuse to play on the console because I feel like they are kind of handicapped there. Like The Sims and Bethesda RPGs.