#1 Posted by Metal_Mills (2997 posts) -

Oh wow. That's pretty huge. http://twitter.com/#!/pmolyneux

I have left the lovely amazing Microsoft and lionhead. Now for something really amazing, scary and brave a new company called 22 Cans

I wonder what 22 Cans will do?
#2 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Peter Molyneux's Balls MMO!

#3 Edited by EpicBenjamin (626 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

It's a game about the relationship between you and his balls.

EDIT: On topic, Peter leaving Lionhead and MS is pretty damn huge. Really interested in seeing what he does next.

#4 Posted by Branwulf (407 posts) -

Fable has been getting worse since the first one, hopefully this will mean he can make games that aren't terrible.

#5 Posted by BeachThunder (11943 posts) -

Personally, I'm worried about the child he left behind in the divorce. Poor Milo =(

#6 Posted by RazielCuts (2955 posts) -

Wow, what even IS Lionhead without Molyneux? Does he personally own the rights to Black and White and Fable or what? because damn, those be his babies.

#7 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -

Whoa. Did not see this coming.

#8 Posted by RoboRobb (1052 posts) -

I always had a respect for Molyneux, he seemed like a really nice guy when I briefly met him.

His departure probably says a lot about the current direction of Fable on the Kinect.

#9 Posted by gike987 (1755 posts) -

I don't think the fable kinect game was the game he wanted to make. He has been doing almost nothing but fable games for 10 years now, not surprising that he left.

#10 Posted by Diablos1125 (179 posts) -

A blow to microsoft? Probably not? Good on him though. Hope he does something new.

#11 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

This is a move for the better for him I believe, absolutely. I think he actually ended up being rather limited by the fable series and to some extent by his kinect involvement.

You could see it coming through in Fable 2 and a lot in 3 - pre-release everything he talked about was not the actual game, it was his ideas that he found interesting and was playing around with ... what if the pause screen was different, what if weapons changed as you used them, what if you could hold someone's hand and interact with them through touch? The meat of the game, the grand fantasy adventure, rarely actually came up in his talks - it was a vehicle for trying out what he found interesting, not really the focus of his imagination.

I expect this new studio will probably focus on smaller games ... the Double Fine kind of model. Where one idea can be one game & he's less restricted by the weight of franchise and peripheral. Oh, I think he's a complete loon, but I'm glad he'll be able to cut loose and dance his crazy lunatic dance.

#12 Posted by aspaceinvader (257 posts) -

@metal_mills probably make drinking games. Seriously he will make the games he wants to make.

#13 Posted by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (592 posts) -

@drag: They said the same about Steve Jobs back in the day... God rest that magnificent bastard's soul.

#14 Posted by MEATBALL (3244 posts) -

Hope this results in Molyneux making something a little more fresh and interesting (and no doubt flawed).

#15 Posted by Humanity (9263 posts) -

@Branwulf: I doubt it since he's largely responsible for those games.

#16 Posted by Eidderf (506 posts) -

I've heard comments about people thinking he left because he was forced to do all this kinect stuff but I got the impression that he was the one who always seemed to be pushing it, maybe it's more likely now that Fable 4 (whenever that comes out) will be a bit more traditional in how it plays without his influence. I'm not saying him leaving the studio is good, I mean he should be applauded for trying to do new things with the medium, but perhaps it'll result in Lionhead playing it a bit more safe in the future, or perhaps they'll go even more heavily down the kinect, more experimental route.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with both teams.

#17 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

Ah, man, I knew Fable: The Journey was not even possibly his main focus. Glad to see I was proven right. Very interested to see where the fella goes next; even if I've only played Fable II of his work, I always find his speeches and ideas (for games and about games) fascinating.

#18 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

I really liked Molyneux, but at the same time, I never found his ideas to be good. On concept, they were, but on executions, it always, always fell flat. The whole King-thing in Fable 3 wasn't very good. I LOVE the art style, music, british-fantasy and everything that oils the machine of the Fable Universe. But I also hated that a lot of energy was put into stupid stuff, like the ability to fart and belch on people. I'd rather have a better fighting system, some unlockables and more quests than those weird actions as a mean of interactivity with the NPC's.

#19 Posted by Winternet (8019 posts) -

"Today is 7th day of 3rd month of 12th year. Add them all up and you get 22. 22cans" - Peter Molyneux

I think Peter is just making up companies as he goes.

#20 Posted by Jimbo (9814 posts) -

Fantastic news. Lionhead can keep flogging Fable to death and Molyneux can stop pissing his reputation away and go make something good.

@Klei said:

I really liked Molyneux, but at the same time, I never found his ideas to be good. On concept, they were, but on executions, it always, always fell flat. The whole King-thing in Fable 3 wasn't very good. I LOVE the art style, music, british-fantasy and everything that oils the machine of the Fable Universe. But I also hated that a lot of energy was put into stupid stuff, like the ability to fart and belch on people. I'd rather have a better fighting system, some unlockables and more quests than those weird actions as a mean of interactivity with the NPC's.

Well, he also made / oversaw the creation of some seminal and genre-defining games, before he became trapped in the Fable cycle.
#21 Posted by Zacagawea (1594 posts) -

That's so cray cray

#22 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -

I've tried to distance myself as much as possible from Fable 3 too. 

#23 Edited by dbol (92 posts) -

The bigger news is that somehow people still give a shit about Peter Molyneux.

#24 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
  • Destroy image of the company you built
  • Leave
I like your style Monopoly.
#25 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Is it weird that I instantly thought the same thing?

#26 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

So he doesn't have the rights to Fable or Black and White? I wonder what will happen to both series and what he will make next.

#27 Edited by PenguinDust (12522 posts) -

I am pleased by this news. I like Molyneax and was worried that his talent and natural enthusiasm were stifled by being the head of Microsoft Studios Europe. Being a "company man" you've got a lot more responsibilities and limitations. I like him best when he's being creative, full of wonder and spewing a great line of bullshit. I think MS reined him in to avoid public embarrassment. Hopefully, now he can get back to making something unconventional that ultimately falls short of genius.

#28 Edited by BonOrbitz (2193 posts) -

I'm interested to see what he cooks up with the new company, but am a bit disappointed we won't see how he attempts to make up for Fable 3 with it's follow-up.

Edit. Video NSFW.

#29 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

Let's not forget that Molyneux has been responsible for plenty of other really ground breaking games, besides Fable.

Populous, Syndicate, Theme Park, Magic Carpet, Dungeon Keeper, Black & White..

I'm glad to see him leave, it clearly wasn't his choice to keep churning out Fable games, so I'm not surprised he's sick of it. A lot of his games may be flawed, but he puts a lot of genuine imagination and passion into making them.

#30 Posted by Pepsiman (2478 posts) -

I didn't believe the name of his new company was actually called "22 Cans" until I saw the tweet. I mean, I do totally believe it, but in a way that I thought petermolydeux would come up with it first.

#31 Posted by Itwastuesday (967 posts) -

Looking forward to whatever he's got for us next. I'm sure we'll hear all about it at E3 2014, unfortunately.

#32 Edited by Gooddoggy (411 posts) -

I guess he thought his career at Lionhead was a little too on rails, huh? HUH?

Anyway, I think it's cool. I want to hear Molyneux talk crazy about something other than Fable.

#33 Edited by WickedCobra03 (2106 posts) -

I hope it works out better for him. I felt like Fable 1 was good, but flawed. Also, far too short, but I feel like that was an expectations thing where they over promised and somewhat under delivered. Cool world, interesting interactions with environments.

Fable II was much better than Fable I and just expanded upon the concepts layed out, but also refined what they already had brought to the table. And Fable II semmed like it had a ton of holes were it looked like the developers wanted to add something, but just didn't have the time or means. And Fable III, well I didn't even play due to hearing just how bad it was.

I just hope at this company he is less constrained by maybe not feeling pressured to put out a big-budget AAA game that is gears for the mass market. It is not like he has to go to small bite-sized games, but maybe just be alright with a niche audience.

#34 Posted by mrcraggle (1938 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind: I'll be interested to see what his new work will be. Fable never quite reach his lofty promises but he made some amazing games way before then like you listed. Only time will tell.

#35 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@RazielCuts said:

Wow, what even IS Lionhead without Molyneux? Does he personally own the rights to Black and White and Fable or what? because damn, those be his babies.

Doubt it. I believe EA owns the rights to B&W and MS owns the rights to Fable.

#36 Edited by mordukai (7150 posts) -

22 cans of beer on the wall, 22 cans of beer. Take one down pass it around, 21 cans of beer on the wall.

#37 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

So his new game studio is all about recycling then?

#38 Posted by Brodehouse (9951 posts) -

I'll bet he makes social games from here on.

#39 Posted by Hailinel (24831 posts) -

TEH MEGATON!!!!1

Well, good luck to him. Though I don't know if he'll ever escape his penchant for over-promising on his games.

#40 Posted by NegativeCero (3003 posts) -

I'm sure his passion/insanity will create another great game.