metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By metal_mills

Oh wow. That's pretty huge. http://twitter.com/#!/pmolyneux

I have left the lovely amazing Microsoft and lionhead. Now for something really amazing, scary and brave a new company called 22 Cans

I wonder what 22 Cans will do?
Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Peter Molyneux's Balls MMO!

EpicBenjamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 46

#3  Edited By EpicBenjamin

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

It's a game about the relationship between you and his balls.

EDIT: On topic, Peter leaving Lionhead and MS is pretty damn huge. Really interested in seeing what he does next.

Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Branwulf

Fable has been getting worse since the first one, hopefully this will mean he can make games that aren't terrible.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder

Personally, I'm worried about the child he left behind in the divorce. Poor Milo =(

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By RazielCuts

Wow, what even IS Lionhead without Molyneux? Does he personally own the rights to Black and White and Fable or what? because damn, those be his babies.

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By valiantgrizzly

Whoa. Did not see this coming.

roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By roborobb

I always had a respect for Molyneux, he seemed like a really nice guy when I briefly met him.

His departure probably says a lot about the current direction of Fable on the Kinect.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gike987

I don't think the fable kinect game was the game he wanted to make. He has been doing almost nothing but fable games for 10 years now, not surprising that he left.

Diablos1125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Diablos1125

A blow to microsoft? Probably not? Good on him though. Hope he does something new.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a move for the better for him I believe, absolutely. I think he actually ended up being rather limited by the fable series and to some extent by his kinect involvement.

You could see it coming through in Fable 2 and a lot in 3 - pre-release everything he talked about was not the actual game, it was his ideas that he found interesting and was playing around with ... what if the pause screen was different, what if weapons changed as you used them, what if you could hold someone's hand and interact with them through touch? The meat of the game, the grand fantasy adventure, rarely actually came up in his talks - it was a vehicle for trying out what he found interesting, not really the focus of his imagination.

I expect this new studio will probably focus on smaller games ... the Double Fine kind of model. Where one idea can be one game & he's less restricted by the weight of franchise and peripheral. Oh, I think he's a complete loon, but I'm glad he'll be able to cut loose and dance his crazy lunatic dance.

aspaceinvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By aspaceinvader

@metal_mills probably make drinking games. Seriously he will make the games he wants to make.

Avatar image for makoto_mizuhara_sakamoto
Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drag: They said the same about Steve Jobs back in the day... God rest that magnificent bastard's soul.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By MEATBALL

Hope this results in Molyneux making something a little more fresh and interesting (and no doubt flawed).

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By Humanity

@Branwulf: I doubt it since he's largely responsible for those games.

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Eidderf

I've heard comments about people thinking he left because he was forced to do all this kinect stuff but I got the impression that he was the one who always seemed to be pushing it, maybe it's more likely now that Fable 4 (whenever that comes out) will be a bit more traditional in how it plays without his influence. I'm not saying him leaving the studio is good, I mean he should be applauded for trying to do new things with the medium, but perhaps it'll result in Lionhead playing it a bit more safe in the future, or perhaps they'll go even more heavily down the kinect, more experimental route.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with both teams.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#17  Edited By Little_Socrates

Ah, man, I knew Fable: The Journey was not even possibly his main focus. Glad to see I was proven right. Very interested to see where the fella goes next; even if I've only played Fable II of his work, I always find his speeches and ideas (for games and about games) fascinating.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Klei

I really liked Molyneux, but at the same time, I never found his ideas to be good. On concept, they were, but on executions, it always, always fell flat. The whole King-thing in Fable 3 wasn't very good. I LOVE the art style, music, british-fantasy and everything that oils the machine of the Fable Universe. But I also hated that a lot of energy was put into stupid stuff, like the ability to fart and belch on people. I'd rather have a better fighting system, some unlockables and more quests than those weird actions as a mean of interactivity with the NPC's.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Winternet

"Today is 7th day of 3rd month of 12th year. Add them all up and you get 22. 22cans" - Peter Molyneux

I think Peter is just making up companies as he goes.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jimbo

Fantastic news. Lionhead can keep flogging Fable to death and Molyneux can stop pissing his reputation away and go make something good.

@Klei said:

I really liked Molyneux, but at the same time, I never found his ideas to be good. On concept, they were, but on executions, it always, always fell flat. The whole King-thing in Fable 3 wasn't very good. I LOVE the art style, music, british-fantasy and everything that oils the machine of the Fable Universe. But I also hated that a lot of energy was put into stupid stuff, like the ability to fart and belch on people. I'd rather have a better fighting system, some unlockables and more quests than those weird actions as a mean of interactivity with the NPC's.

Well, he also made / oversaw the creation of some seminal and genre-defining games, before he became trapped in the Fable cycle.
Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's so cray cray

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By phish09

I've tried to distance myself as much as possible from Fable 3 too. 

dbol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dbol

The bigger news is that somehow people still give a shit about Peter Molyneux.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

• Destroy image of the company you built
  • Leave
I like your style Monopoly.
Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Ravenlight

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Is it weird that I instantly thought the same thing?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So he doesn't have the rights to Fable or Black and White? I wonder what will happen to both series and what he will make next.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By penguindust

I am pleased by this news. I like Molyneax and was worried that his talent and natural enthusiasm were stifled by being the head of Microsoft Studios Europe. Being a "company man" you've got a lot more responsibilities and limitations. I like him best when he's being creative, full of wonder and spewing a great line of bullshit. I think MS reined him in to avoid public embarrassment. Hopefully, now he can get back to making something unconventional that ultimately falls short of genius.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BonOrbitz

I'm interested to see what he cooks up with the new company, but am a bit disappointed we won't see how he attempts to make up for Fable 3 with it's follow-up.

Edit. Video NSFW.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Let's not forget that Molyneux has been responsible for plenty of other really ground breaking games, besides Fable.

Populous, Syndicate, Theme Park, Magic Carpet, Dungeon Keeper, Black & White..

I'm glad to see him leave, it clearly wasn't his choice to keep churning out Fable games, so I'm not surprised he's sick of it. A lot of his games may be flawed, but he puts a lot of genuine imagination and passion into making them.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#30  Edited By Pepsiman

I didn't believe the name of his new company was actually called "22 Cans" until I saw the tweet. I mean, I do totally believe it, but in a way that I thought petermolydeux would come up with it first.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Itwastuesday

Looking forward to whatever he's got for us next. I'm sure we'll hear all about it at E3 2014, unfortunately.

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I guess he thought his career at Lionhead was a little too on rails, huh? HUH?

Anyway, I think it's cool. I want to hear Molyneux talk crazy about something other than Fable.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By WickedCobra03

I hope it works out better for him. I felt like Fable 1 was good, but flawed. Also, far too short, but I feel like that was an expectations thing where they over promised and somewhat under delivered. Cool world, interesting interactions with environments.

Fable II was much better than Fable I and just expanded upon the concepts layed out, but also refined what they already had brought to the table. And Fable II semmed like it had a ton of holes were it looked like the developers wanted to add something, but just didn't have the time or means. And Fable III, well I didn't even play due to hearing just how bad it was.

I just hope at this company he is less constrained by maybe not feeling pressured to put out a big-budget AAA game that is gears for the mass market. It is not like he has to go to small bite-sized games, but maybe just be alright with a niche audience.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By mrcraggle

@WinterSnowblind: I'll be interested to see what his new work will be. Fable never quite reach his lofty promises but he made some amazing games way before then like you listed. Only time will tell.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mordukai

@RazielCuts said:

Wow, what even IS Lionhead without Molyneux? Does he personally own the rights to Black and White and Fable or what? because damn, those be his babies.

Doubt it. I believe EA owns the rights to B&W and MS owns the rights to Fable.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mordukai

22 cans of beer on the wall, 22 cans of beer. Take one down pass it around, 21 cans of beer on the wall.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By Yanngc33

So his new game studio is all about recycling then?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'll bet he makes social games from here on.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#39  Edited By Hailinel

TEH MEGATON!!!!1

Well, good luck to him. Though I don't know if he'll ever escape his penchant for over-promising on his games.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NegativeCero

I'm sure his passion/insanity will create another great game.