Power of a PS3 in your pocket in 3 years. (Article)

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By CornontheCobbe

According to an article on Gizmodo that i have just read, Imagination Technologies (maker of the PowerVR chip that powers smart-phones like the iPhone, Android) claim that you will definitely be able to have graphics comparable to a PS3 in your hand in 3 years.

They know this because these are the chips they're designing right now. The way the development process works for phones is that Imagination comes up with a chip, which they license, and that works its way through development cycles and people like Apple or HTC, which then incorporate them into their phones, which they in turn have to productize and bring to market. The whole thing takes three years. But in three years, says Imagination, you're going to have a PS3 in your pocket. And that's not just running at the 480x340 resolution that most phones have now, that's PS3-esque graphics on 720p output via HDMI to a TV. 

720p in your hand? Now that will be impressive.  

No Caption Provided

What are your thoughts on this? Do you guys think this will be possible, or are they exaggerating by a mile? It's one thing to claim such a thing, but i suppose time will only tell.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By meteora

I doubt it.

Even if they do manage to get all of the processing power packed into a mobile; it's gonna need a helluva lot of batteries. The PSP already suffers from short battery life, how can we possibly think of an idea where the graphics are as high as the PS3/Xbox 360?

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Sambambo

It may be possible, however is 720p useful at such a small size?

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By TheHBK

I want to know how you are gonna have a portable 720p screen, and I mean for something the size of a PSP or DS.  I think that the PSP still has a way to go with its graphics so getting the xbox or Wii graphics would be great.  480p.  With such small screens, jumping to 720 may be unnecessary.
And PowerVR is best known for making the Dreamcast kick ass.

Furyjoell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Furyjoell

I'm sorry but I can't see this, not in 3 years anyway. Also, you really don't need 720p on a handheld. 

Valco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Valco

Tomorow's Worlds all over again
OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Not sure if want...

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By CL60

Those graphics would kill the battery.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Jeust

It won't matter much to videogames, since no hardware will have that kind of power in three years, as nintendo has already planned the ds2 and sony, if going to launch one, has probably plans for it too. Maybe iphone, but i doubt it will change specs any time soon. as could possible alienate a large chunk of its consumer base.

The only area i see benefiting from it will be laptops, and netbooks. 

Fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Fudgeblood
@Meteora said:

" I doubt it.  Even if they do manage to get all of the processing power packed into a mobile; it's gonna need a helluva lot of batteries. The PSP already suffers from short battery life, how can we possibly think of an idea where the graphics are as high as the PS3/Xbox 360? "

They'll use a concept similar to the ZF 4 sight and searchlight used on German StG-44's. 

With this  stylish new backpack you never have to worry about a low battery! Too dark to see the screen? No worries! Just whip out your  stylish searchlight! Comes in Black and White.    
 With this stylish new backpack you never have to worry about a low battery! Too dark to see the screen? No worries! Just whip out your stylish searchlight! Comes in Black and White.    

Seriously though, in 3 years PlayStation 3 graphics will be old and ugly, and when I play a game on a handheld system I care alot less about graphics.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By iam3green

i doubt that will happen. it wouldn't really be a phone since it would be charging all the time. they need to work on making batteries last longer than hardware. batteries nowadays last about a week. i think that they should make it last like a month. 

anyway i don't think it will happen. i think maybe they will make it look like the last couple of games for the ps2, that is it.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12  Edited By Geno

Definitely not exagerrating. There are already mobile chips currently in existence that are between the Wii and PS3 in terms of graphical performance, in 3 years time we will be able to have something 3-4x as powerful, closing the gap.
Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Andheez

Moore's law - It will definently happen, I would imagine that its possible now, just not financially feasible.