themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By themartyr

Hello world, 
Are there any other folks out there who are starting to find themselves preferring single-player games to multiplayer? Back when I first got Xbox Live, I started to find it impossible to play single-player games. They felt so lonely, without other people to share the experience with. Roll on about 5 years and now I totally cannot be assed with online gaming, except for occasional games of Horde on GoW2. 
I'm now finding myself actively seeking out games with a compelling, and more long-term, single-player experience. I'm still torn about Arkham Asylum because I don't think I actually really like the Batman story, although I used to love the gothic style of the animated series... 
Anyway, are other giant bombers starting to find themselves tiring of online play?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax
I'm basically done with online gaming because I find single player to be less frustrating and in some cases more fun
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By iam3green

i like single player more then multiplayer. i wish games were a lot longer then how they are right now.

morningdrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By morningdrive

I prefer single player of online play most of the time, yeah multiplayer adds to the length of a game you purchase, but I feel more immersed in a single player story then just playing online. 

While playing online is fun at times, you just get headaches more often then not.

Maclintok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Maclintok

Single-Player.  I've always preferred single-player games although I have had major, short-term addictions to multiplayer. 

Single-player games have more longevity. You can pick up a game 1 or 2 years after its release and still have a full game to play.  With a few exceptions, multiplayer communities die out & move on to the next hot game after a year, maybe sooner.  Multi-player gaming can also be fickle... your enjoyment depends a lot on the other gamers, play balancing, glitching, cheats and overall developer support. 

It seems like we're on the cusp of a new movement where single-player experiences are being rolled into multi-player areas and vice-versa and I think that's really great.  To me, I'll always look for that great single-player game, where I can play it any time of day and it's just me experiencing the vision of the game designer & creating my own story.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By xyzygy

I've never, ever liked multiplayer besides Halo, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark with friends. Never with randoms. I hate talking to people I don't know and I'm not the type of person to act differently on a mic... plus I'm extremely shy :(

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By Hamst3r

I prefer single-player games.

I used to be really into multiplayer. Then one day I decided I just wasn't interested in it anymore. It wasn't satisfying.
JDMan1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JDMan1313

I've always preferred single player games.

misterpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By misterpope

Single-player games can deliver the ultimate experience, far more than multiplayer can. 

Personally though, especially in shooters, there's nothing like playing against other humans.
Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mariek430

Single player here as well. Only MP games I can play are ones with some leveling up/unlocking new things, and as Jeff says the worst part about MMOs, is that other people play them

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikkaQ

I think I'm done with online games that aren't call of duty at this point.  

There are so many games coming out each week that I can hardly keep up, so I just end up LOOOVING the games with a nice, short, tight singleplayer experience.  

When the releases slow down, or I want a game that me and my friends play idly... it's basically COD MW2 at this point. Or 1 vs 100, because that shit's awesome.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#12  Edited By citizenkane

I need to have both.  Not in the same game, but just in general.  Enjoying the madness of online gaming with other people is just too much fun and memorable.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#13  Edited By vager

I don't care much for competitive multiplayer. Cooperative multiplayer on the other hand is right up there with single player.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

Never really tried multiplayer, mainly because I'm too lazy to pay for things or make friends.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By mracoon

I've always preferred single player.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By InfiniteGeass
@natetodamax said:
"
I'm basically done with online gaming because I find single player to be less frustrating and in some cases more fun
"
Basically this. You don't have any annoying, racist, or immature people talking to you and if you die it is most likely your fault, not lag or a team mate.
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By luce

Single player is a more solid experience. The value you get from multiplayer is unpredictable.

Dyermaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dyermaker

I'm finding the exact opposite.  As time goes on I have less and less interest in this revolving door of forgettable 8 hour story driven experiences at $60 a pop.  I bought a PS3 not even 2 weeks ago and I'm already starting to regret my decision--believe it or not I've lost interest 75% of the way through Uncharted 2, though I will finish it seeing as I paid for it.  To me at least, games are about gameplay, not attachment to characters or plot--that's what books and movies are for (for me at least).  I gain much more satisfaction by constantly challenging myself to improve and outsmart another player.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By breadfan

I've always preferred a top notch single player experience over online multiplayer. 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By JJOR64

I've always preferred Single Player over Multiplayer except for Fighting Games.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Brunchies

I used to be interested more in the multiplayer part of the game two years ago but I fell out of that when I got fallout 3.

Laharl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Laharl

I prefer single player over multiplayer. I grew up playing rpgs and other single player games, just always have more fun immersing myself into the world; which is hard to do while a 12 year old is calling you a faggy cocksucker. For whatever reason theres this requirement to become a douchebag when people go online, cant stand it.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By maxszy

I am definitely more of a single-player person than a mutli. Granted, I can still enjoy a good multiplayer game as long as I am playing with friends...but honestly, that is rare as many of our schedules are different. Therefore I really do stick to single-player mostly.

periscope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By periscope

I've always preferred single player games, mostly because they deliver a better story overall.  That's probably why I'm so in to RPGs

That's not to say I'm completely against multiplayer games, I played Wow for a few years and loved it, but it's frustrating to have so much of the experience dependent upon other people.  Half the time you have a great experience in a dungeon and the other half you want to claw your own eyeballs out.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By themartyr

Wow, excellent responses everyone. I'm glad I'm not the only one. 

I do feel it's perhaps a backlash to how so many games these days feel like they're tacking on a single-player, where the opposite used to be the case. As online play has opened up multiplayer gaming in ways never before possible, I can totally understand that there is a market for it. I guess my experience came after not playing my xbox for a year or two, and then coming back to it. Suddenly, I was out of touch with what was 'hot' (I haven't played a CoD past 3...), and decided that, rather than start playing catch-up, I would start going through all my older games, and suddenly I was back in my true gaming childhood: sitting on my own, and as mentioned above, totally immersed in another world. Not all the games I'm playing are necessarily the highest quality, but I am really enjoying the pleasure of being able to game at my own pace, whether that is a marathon 6 hour session, or a quick 30 minute dip-in.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Cornman89

Definitely a single-player gamer.

I've never had any interest in competitive multi, though I'll do co-op with my brother if it's available.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By evanbrau

Up until this generation of consoles I was always solely single player apart from a few games of CS or Quake in the old days. Now I'm much more open to playing the multiplayer aspect of a game but it in no way makes up fro a crappy single player. I still much prefer to play a really good single player game to a really good multiplayer one but I'm way more into multiplayer than I've ever been in the past.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By Tireyo

I think most people prefer single player, unless if they like playing multi-player online.

For me and my lonely self, I prefer single player.