• 67 results
laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@ares42 said:

@elixirbronze: Noone at giantbomb is hired as a content-creator. In fact the primary goal of the site isn't even to create content. Although I can't speak for the site, from my impression their primary agenda is to be a filtered media outlet for the gaming industry. While it's not strictly what you traditional think of as news, it's basically a news-site. They mostly just cover what is current, relevant and interesting in the industry.

I disagree I would think that making videos is their primary agenda. If it's to be a news site then they are doing a piss poor job of it.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@soothsayergb: Funnily enough, before they switched completely over to the new site the page detailing what a subscription got you actually said there was "New premium content every day".

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I think we're all aware that we could be doing more content and more premium content as well. Part of the downtime right now is, as Superkenon mentioned, some behind-the-scenes upkeep (E3 planning is also starting to ramp up). And going forward, my ability to take some of the random stuff people have had to worry about in the past (like support emails and billing issues, etc.) should help them get more content-focused. Plus when I have a better grasp of my day-to-day duties, I should be able to help create some of the premium content that Dave used to do, as well.

I don't think anyone's happy when a day's worth of content is just three trailers. But hopefully we'll start doing more stuff in the near future. Sorry for the slowness, at any rate.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@rorie said:

But hopefully we'll start doing more stuff in the near future.

I'll thank you in advance for a Screening Room of Bloodrayne 2.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I didn't get much out of the Wednesday live show. Chris Waters was alright, I guess. Carolyn Petit tended to get way too into story on camera; I remember her somehow taking longer than about 6 seconds to explain Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon's story, despite the fact that that game really has nothing more than a basic premise in terms of story. And I think she tried to really briefly explain Naruto, when I think at this point people either follow Naruto and get it or are quite certain they have no interest in a Naruto game. A lot of the Gamespot staff had live stream awkwardness issues.

The Shrink Shack seemed to wildly oscillate between "trying to do a really fast like 5-15 minute Quick Look" or "immediately being completely dismissive of the game if it isn't a genre Patrick already understands and likes". And aside from the Shrink Shack, most of the "bigger" games they played on the couch were almost universally stuff that eventually got its own Quick Look, either before or after the Wednesday show, so that just seemed redundant.

So I just really never saw the point of the whole thing.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Slay3r1583

@lackingsaint said:

Basically what i'm saying is they need to hire Matt Kessler and Steve Ramirez, and bring back Fear Gauntlet.

Hell yes. The Fear Gauntlet is still some of my favorite GB content ever.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@rorie: You are the hero that GB needs, but not the one it deserves, Matt Rorie.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#59  Edited By Mento  Moderator

The Shrink Shack could be its own show if they could save the dismissiveness for objectively terrible games and not those that might be good if they had any interest in the genre. Failing that, there could be some kind of monthly community round-up of content for the new games Giant Bomb itself didn't get around to covering. Everything else on Professional Wednesdays just felt redundant and if certain reviewers aren't happy to be on camera, I'm not happy about making them. Many of the more awkward GameSpot people (and Alex Navarro for that matter) can better get across what they want to say in text than when speaking in front of a camera anyway. Lord knows I'd be a similar case.

I don't want to necessarily scrap this spirit of site cooperation though. Maybe the two offices could have occasional inter-office Scrub Leagues or the like. Some manner of an ongoing Team GS vs. Team GB rivalry recurring feature.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#60  Edited By williamhenry

@lackingsaint said:

Basically what i'm saying is they need to hire Matt Kessler and Steve Ramirez, and bring back Fear Gauntlet.

Some kind of steady, regular feature would be great. Quick looks are great, but I would definitely enjoy a feature with some type of continuity, whether it be thematic, story, etc.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slay3r1583 said:

@lackingsaint said:

Some kind of steady, regular feature would be great. Quick looks are great, but I would definitely enjoy a feature with some type of continuity, whether it be thematic, story, etc.

You mean like an enduran-

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't mind Professional Wednesdays as a weekly thing, but it seemed dead in the water before it even began. No one seemed thrilled about doing it, and I don't blame them since most games that come out in a week are boring and/or garbage.

I wouldn't mind more crossover between staffs. There definitely needs to be a Wednesday show, though, whether it's someone playing through his pile of shame like Bradley May Cry, @rorie picking up the slack for Random PC Game once he gets settled with the new job, Scrub Leagues, or even Bombastica in the studio. Like, an hour of someone from Giant Bomb (or even Gamespot) talking about a classic game they really like, or split it up in two 30-minute segments with two people. More Bombastica guys!

Honestly, now that Matt is back, I secretly want him and @alex talking about movies again. I know it's a "video game" site, but whatever, people will love it. I feel so out of the loop with films since they left that one site.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@otakugamer said:

Giant Bomb is over-saturated with live shows. I would much prefer their efforts be put on something else imo.

More than anything I wish they would focus more on targeted content instead of the easy go-to of "I don't know let's just get a few people together at the set and turn the camera on" shows. I love Unprofessional Fridays, because it's basically mandated to have everyone together at once, but they're WAY too obsessed with streaming anything and everything they do. Instead of doing catch-all live shows to try and get everyone happy, I just wish they would focus on producing the more specific features on a regular basis instead. Bradley May Cry should be finished by now.

And for better or worse depending on who you are, Patrick's content output lately is putting the rest of the staff to shame.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@minipato said:

@williamhenry said:

@slay3r1583 said:

@lackingsaint said:

You mean like an enduran-

Not necessarily. Endurance runs only work with the right game in the right context. I was thinking more of thematic continuity. Like before a new release in a franchise, they could play the prequels. Or they could pick a certain feature that is in a lot of different games and play those. Or they could do a feature on a particular developer or studio and play all the games they have worked on. It doesn't have to be them playing through an entire game start to finish.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@wjb said:

Honestly, now that Matt is back, I secretly want him and @alex talking about movies again. I know it's a "video game" site, but whatever, people will love it. I feel so out of the loop with films since they left that one site.

I've heard this sentiment a fair amount lately. We'll see if we can work something out!

SeanCoughing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I agree that things have gotten stale lately, definitely not raging over it though. The whole "nothing is coming out" thing kinda falls apart when you look at new releases on Steam and PSN, they may not all be great or even all that good but I think they are worthy of quick looks, and would for sure help this slight drought o' content. And also I mentioned in another thread that we never got quick looks for games like Knytt Underground or Oregon Trail: Director's Cut, why not go back and take a "quick look"?

namesonkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really missing my weekly fix of GB livestream. I also feel like I'm missing out on Unprofessional Fridays.
Maybe I'm at the point where I should consider a premium membership.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Really missing my weekly fix of GB livestream. I also feel like I'm missing out on Unprofessional Fridays.

Maybe I'm at the point where I should consider a premium membership.

Spend the five bucks for a month and have a Giant Bomb marathon! It's definitely worth it. Here's a taste of what you're missing.