Random things you've noticed about the GB crew

• 74 results
dsouvannarath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ok, I know this is a weird topic but I'm bored at work. Are there any strange quirks or anything you've noticed about the guys, whether on video or podcasts that you're wondering if other people have noticed? For example, I've noticed the guys, most notably Vinny use the word juice in reference to meter building in games. Another thing is the phrase "rich tapestry" which I've heard on numerous occasions. Sorry, like I said, I'm very bored. Humor me?

loudgeekjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"super fun"

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Everyone's got phrases they fall back on often. "Hot garbage" comes to mind. I actually think that phrase is a really funny way to describe something terrible and I've found myself using it occasionally.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they say "huh" A LOT when reacting to something or someones opinion on the Bombcast that is.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Brad during live shows tends to rest his feet on the side of the coffee table. Never seen a live show on the set where he hasn't done that. He also tends to sit in the same spot.

onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

'it's one of those things...'

JeremySpittle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When something super weird happens in a game that Vinny is playing he will sometimes say "Yeah...sure...okay!" really enthusiastically. I don't know why but I never stop laughing

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

The way that Dan adds a vocal exclamation point to violence is going to slowly make me insane.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Alex says "I love this plan" a bunch and I always wonder if it's a Ghostbusters reference.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By VannaDwight

@i_stay_puft: Brad also plays with his left ear a lot on live shows.

D4RKSH33P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Waaaaaah" - Jeff or Brad almost always at the mention of stoners or getting stoned.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Nubster

The way that Dan adds a vocal exclamation point to violence is going to slowly make me insane.

It's hilarious to me. Dan is just a big kid, really.

lylebot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Alex and the tautology "it is what it is." Brad and Jeff will say it on occasion too.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the random references to music, TV or movies that Alex will drop in QLs. It's great because half the time Vinny doesn't respond to them, and Alex doesn't press the issue because he's just happy he got to make the reference. I like to imagine him chuckling about it on his way home

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By monkeyking1969

Jeff likes to shake the baby, despite being told on numinous occasions to not shake the baby.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ares42

Almost every time they compliment how a game looks they will summarize it by saying something along the lines of "it's got great lighting". I'm still not sure if it's some sort of insider joke I'm not aware of or they're just unable to point out any other aspect of the visuals that makes it look impressive.

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#17  Edited By FakeKisser

I have been holding back on saying anything about this, because I don't want to be a jerk, at all (because everyone has verbal ticks and common phrases)... However, since you asked... ;)

I have noticed that almost all of the guys speak in the second-person a lot, such as "you just want to..." or "you can't help but..." (i.e. "On one hand, you're like, 'They really went for it.'"). Personally, this drives me crazy, because the speaking person is assuming my view on something (though I know that's not what he/she actually means).

When someone I know (well) uses a phrase like, "When [this] happens, you just want to [do something]," I will say, "No, I don't want to do that," or, "Don't tell me what I want to do" (said with a grin...since, again, I don't want to be a complete jerk - I just want to draw his/her attention to the assumption he/she is making).

Anyway, I know this is a common thing people do in conversation, but it's just often not not accurate or even "appropriate," because the statements are often not universal.

Also, the alternative is easy...just speak in first-person... "When ever I see pop-in, it just takes me out of the game." :D

Similar to this is when my wife adds "you know" to the end of sentences. She hates when I say, "No I didn't know that..." :P

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

From the few videos of Dan I've watched, he seems to be in a constant state of hyperbole. For better or worse.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@csl316: I'm excited to be a part of this post! I'm sorry, I- I had to.

Jeff exclaiming "AHHH!" during a particularly shocking or weird part of a game has got to be the easiest way to make me laugh ever.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fakekisser: This just seems like you deliberately misinterpreting the generic "you". We all know what it means, so if somebody "corrected" me on it, it would be kinda annoying.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brad always referring to dan as "young ryckert" never fails to make me smile.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By alex

Vinny smells of lavender and marinara sauce.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I noticed that Vinny pronounces forward as "foe-ward", and I can't not hear it, and it always gets to me.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Levius: That has nothing on Jeff's pronouncing channel as "chennel"

SJQPersonal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SJQPersonal

The word CRUX suffers fragrant overuse and abuse on the podcast for the last 3 years. Everyone is guilty.

Brad does things because the zeitgeist consumes his interest. (Everyone is doing it I need to be a part of it)

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

They have crazy fans who spend their time thinking about random things they notice about them- like they're an obsessed teenager who cant get the nerve to ask the girl out already.

Also Jeff's pronunciation of Channel is perfection personified.

DirtyRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Patrick talks like Obama when he's in serious/condescending mode.

ashkev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alex frequently makes small quips about his endless depression and malaise and everyone awkwardly laughs.

GIynny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess?

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I am rubbing the back of my head right now"

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By monetarydread

A lot of people tend to whine about how grizzled Jeff is. I have noticed lately that what tends to irk Jeff the most is bullshit from the PSX era that we ignored back then but should have fixed by now.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Hey Brad, you should do (X thing) [so you stop dying/start making progress in this video game]"

"Eh." *continues to do the bad thing*

Always funny, but man, I want to yell "LISTEN TO YOUR COWORKERS" every single time. But hey, Brad's Bradical Braditude is what makes him so Bradass.

---

Alex, Dan, (sometimes) Drew:

"Do a thing!" (I love that phrase, never stop :P)

---

And, of course, the famous "Ostensibly" from Patrick. He's since become aware of it and has stopped using it so frequently, though. (shame, as it made for an awesome drinking game :P)

Avatar image for conduitfoursale
ConduitFourSale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brad. Three words. "Order of magnitude".

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teaoverlord: I definitely understand it can be annoying. :) That's why I only usually bring it up with close friends. However, the "generic you" that you are referring to is still only actually only appropriate in certain circumstances. For example, "If you were to do [this]" or "If you ever wanted to..." In these examples, using "you" doesn't make an assumption on a person's viewpoint, actions, or desires. Instead, it just present possibilities that one may act on. So, I do understand that the "you" that is being used in my original examples are due to common colloquialisms. However, that doesn't make them actually correct or "appropriate" (i.e. for what is trying to be conveyed).

So, yeah, I'm not the type of person that gets joy out of pointing out things like this to people or correcting people on grammar or spelling or whatever. I just figured it was appropriate for the thread. :)

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brad does this thing where whenever he begins to explain something or respond to someone, he'll stroke the back of his neck. It discomforts me.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Drew is the secret funniest guy on the podcast I feel like he makes so many amazing in-jokes about things they are talking about that go right over so many peoples heads.

"Looks like Monolith is back on the menu boys" Is my most recent favorite so damn funny.

I feel like he does ones that I miss he can be really subtle about it I love it.

defordj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By defordj

Everybody says "bop out" or "bopping out" when they're talking about exiting to a menu (or exiting something in general). It's kinda endearing, because it definitely sounds like it's a little piece of slang one person brought to the group and everybody just started using because it's handy.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teaoverlord: I definitely understand it can be annoying. :) That's why I only usually bring it up with close friends. However, the "generic you" that you are referring to is still only actually only appropriate in certain circumstances. For example, "If you were to do [this]" or "If you ever wanted to..." In these examples, using "you" doesn't make an assumption on a person's viewpoint, actions, or desires. Instead, it just present possibilities that one may act on. So, I do understand that the "you" that is being used in my original examples are due to common colloquialisms. However, that doesn't make them actually correct or "appropriate" (i.e. for what is trying to be conveyed).

So, yeah, I'm not the type of person that gets joy out of pointing out things like this to people or correcting people on grammar or spelling or whatever. I just figured it was appropriate for the thread. :)

In the examples here the "you" is actually being used as a third person pronoun, because people feel pretentious if they use "one" as a non-specific third person pronoun, cause what is one, the queen? I think this is the spirit it's meant in in your previous examples as well (eg "it really takes you [one] out of the game"). With that said, that doesn't necessarily stop it potentially being an unwarranted appeal to universality, which is what annoys you about it.

I think, though, it is justified because it is an attempt to say that the reason in takes one out of the game is not because of some idiosyncrasy of the speaker, but some property or set of relations within the game that can reasonably be expected to be understood by everyone. Other opinions are available.

Bajumeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bajumeru

Brad humming. Also, he does this "aaaAAAhh" thing. It's like when he's thinking about something to say or wondering how to do something in a game, like "I wonder if thiiiis is gonna work. aaaAAAhh". I dunno how to explain it. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FakeKisser

@thomasnash said:

I can see that, for that example, and I do think there are definitely places where using "you" does make sense. I just very often disagree with the statements being made, which is why it sticks out to me so much. However, considering how often people make statements with "you" instead of "I" (or "one," though I think that is even overused where "I" is more appropriate, since "one" also can be used to make assumptions), it is obvious that most people don't bat an eyelash at the use.

But, yeah, I'm sure there are a ton of opinions on this...as well as things like the use of "they..." :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Dan loves to bring up what or where or how much he drank any chance he gets.

Avatar image for indiana_jenkins
indiana_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Whenever Patrick was on the Bombcast and emphasizing a point, he would tap the table with his finger and the mic managed to pick up the sound.

It was basically the worst.

dsouvannarath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also love when Dan calls something "horse shit"

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whenever Patrick was on the Bombcast and emphasizing a point, he would tap the table with his finger and the mic managed to pick up the sound.

It was basically the worst.

Ironically I've noticed Patrick says so and so is "the worst" A LOT.

I am fully aware that you might have used that on purpose..

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#46 fisk0  Moderator

Drew is the secret funniest guy on the podcast I feel like he makes so many amazing in-jokes about things they are talking about that go right over so many peoples heads.

"Looks like Monolith is back on the menu boys" Is my most recent favorite so damn funny.

I feel like he does ones that I miss he can be really subtle about it I love it.

Yup, wanted to mention that. He's usually so subtle that the others don't even notice his jokes. "I'm dressed as a speed bump!" is still stuck in my head.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've noticed that whenever Jeff is walking somewhere in a game or when they've been quiet for a bit he will do the same humming tune every time. Hm hm-hm hmmm.

dsouvannarath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0: Gah, I almost want to start a Drew appreciation thread now. One of my favorite Drew moments was his Pac-Man voice during the Demo Destruction Derby. Dans reaction to it only made it funnier

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0 said:

@evilsbane said:

Yup, wanted to mention that. He's usually so subtle that the others don't even notice his jokes. "I'm dressed as a speed bump!" is still stuck in my head.

Haha thank you! I remember losing my shit when drew said that. He delivered that line perfectly too.

My contribution is Vinny preceding what he's about to say with "You knnnnnow....", you know what I'm talking about

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0 said:

@evilsbane said:

I feel like the Metal Gear Scanlon series has been a really good showcase for the way Drew can pick out a really perfect reference for maximum hilarity. The impromptu "name that action movie" game they played was weirdly entertaining...