RE5

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Edited By gearhead

So my friend and I got and played Resident Evil 5 from a gaming store in my town that was not supposed to sell it early, but the mangers like to break release dates often. :P And wow, that game is a HUGE disappointment. So instead of me writing all of my impressions, I think I will let Adam Sessler tell you my thoughts, as he gave the game a 3 out of 5 and I completely agree with him. When comparing this to RE4 and other games now, four years after RE4 came out, I find it just not up to par, and its very upsetting:

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By gearhead

So my friend and I got and played Resident Evil 5 from a gaming store in my town that was not supposed to sell it early, but the mangers like to break release dates often. :P And wow, that game is a HUGE disappointment. So instead of me writing all of my impressions, I think I will let Adam Sessler tell you my thoughts, as he gave the game a 3 out of 5 and I completely agree with him. When comparing this to RE4 and other games now, four years after RE4 came out, I find it just not up to par, and its very upsetting:

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Vinchenzo
Gearhead said:
So my friend and I got and played Resident Evil 5 off of a gaming store in my town that was not supposed to sell it early, but the mangers are complete idiots.
Why are you insulting a gaming store that isn't a chain? I'd love to shop at a game store that doesn't cram all that corporate shit down your throat. On top of that, you got the game early. You must be pretty nit-picky.
gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gearhead

Yeah, your probably right. I changed it, thanks for showing me that my wording was incorrect Vinchenzo. :)

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

I respect the Sess.  Think he really is trying, at least now.  Speaks about some points of games and game reviewing.  The big drain on game reviews is reviewers who are bad at their job.  RE5 may deserve a 3 out of 5, I'll play it tomorrow.  However, so many games should be reviewed much worse by that logic.  Wii Sports should have gotten 0 out of 5s.  The actual number of a score doesn't matter, but why aren't they lambasting the games that really deserve it.  If reviewers are all about expressing their opinions, why not go on a tirade about how Nintendo is in many respects hurting videogames?  I guess I feel like these reviewers stop caring if it isn't something high profile and wanted by hardcore gamers and are willing to give a 'pass' to games not made for the critics.  That never stopped a movie critic!  Reviewers need to be more consistent, either review or critique.

Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Ujio

Interesting points...

Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Kratos81

Im still buying it, but I think game review sites overrate big games, because its the thing to do for some reason. There is no excuse for the dated ass controls. I think they only did it that way to try and not make it look like its  just another shooter.  Re4 was great but I beat that on the wii that had great controls. I was turned off by the re5 demo at first due to the controls. I got used to them but that dosent mean they dont suck. I keep hearing the ai teammate sucks and needs to be played by a real person to feel right. That sucks for me because none of my friends are gamers, so I have to find a random person on live. Dont think I will be doing that often, it would be like LFD and getting all of those crappy teammates.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude

I was frustrated with RE 4 on the GameCube, but loved the Wii version, because I liked the controls. I played the Demo of RE 5 and was frustrated right away, so I'm staying away. It sure does look pretty though.

unclejohn0525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By unclejohn0525

I see where he's coming from. I guess we'll all just have to play it for ourselves. I just know it will be a lot of fun in co-op. I played the SHIT out of that demo, and loved it every time.

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By Artie

I always thought Sessler was a little too close to the medium he writes about and has become as noteworthy of an opinion as any internet forum dweller. So regardless of what he said, I don't really care. Besides his argument has a lot of holes. For instance, here's a question for the Sess:

Did you play Resident Evil 2 or 3 when they were released? Did you enjoy them?

If he says "yes" than his argument is completely baseless. Capcom decides to give RE4 better controls, and we're all happy, then the sequel comes out and and we all clamor "IT SHOULD PLAY LIKE GEARS OF WAR!!!" Well we had no problem with RE2 or RE3, so what's the problem now? The game works with the controls it has, so shut the hell up. I"m sure the game can be disappointing because of bad AI, or boring level design, or repetitive nature of the game. But do not rag on the controls.

Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kratos81
Artie said:
"I always thought Sessler was a little too close to the medium he writes about and has become as noteworthy of an opinion as any internet forum dweller. So regardless of what he said, I don't really care. Besides his argument has a lot of holes. For instance, here's a question for the Sess:Did you play Resident Evil 2 or 3 when they were released? Did you enjoy them?If he says "yes" than his argument is completely baseless. Capcom decides to give RE4 better controls, and we're all happy, then the sequel comes out and and we all clamor "IT SHOULD PLAY LIKE GEARS OF WAR!!!" Well we had no problem with RE2 or RE3, so what's the problem now? The game works with the controls it has, so shut the hell up. I"m sure the game can be disappointing because of bad AI, or boring level design, or repetitive nature of the game. But do not rag on the controls."
Shut the hell up your self, No problem with RE2 or RE3 how fucking long ago was that? I get sick of you people defending bad controls and not calling a spade a spade. Yes the controls were great 5 fucking years ago.
Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By Artie

Kratos who were you talking to five years? First off it should be mentioned that RE2 and RE3 came out 10 years ago, but that's besides the point.

Everyone has always criticized Resident Evil for it's terrible controls, but the games continued to receive 8s 9s and 10s. But now after they've finally changed the formula everyone is crying foul? Anyone complaining about the controls is either:

A) Not really a Resident Evil fan, and only liked RE4 out of the entire series
or
B) A god damn hypocrite, and should shut the hell up

In either case, you have no reason to talk. If you don't like the game than don't play it, it has it's niche. You don't see FPS fans complaining about Final Fantasy because headshots don't do damage like it does in their FPS games. Don't apply the same expectations to different games.

Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kratos81
Artie said:
"Kratos who were you talking to five years? First off it should be mentioned that RE2 and RE3 came out 10 years ago, but that's besides the point.

Everyone has always criticized Resident Evil for it's terrible controls, but the games continued to receive 8s 9s and 10s. But now after they've finally changed the formula everyone is crying foul? Anyone complaining about the controls is either:

or
B) A god damn hypocrite, and should shut the hell upIn either case, you have no reason to talk. If you don't like the game than don't play it, it has it's niche. You don't see FPS fans complaining about Final Fantasy because headshots don't do damage like it does in their FPS games. Don't apply the same expectations to different games."
Im just bought it and am playing it right now. Just because I dont agree with the controls, dosent mean I wont enjoy the game. I loved re4, I just think at this time the controls are dated, 5 years ago they were not. That is all, Im not saying the game totally sucks, just that it would have been better with better controls.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#13  Edited By AgentJ
Diamond said:
"I respect the Sess.  Think he really is trying, at least now.  Speaks about some points of games and game reviewing.  The big drain on game reviews is reviewers who are bad at their job.  RE5 may deserve a 3 out of 5, I'll play it tomorrow.  However, so many games should be reviewed much worse by that logic.  Wii Sports should have gotten 0 out of 5s.  The actual number of a score doesn't matter, but why aren't they lambasting the games that really deserve it.  If reviewers are all about expressing their opinions, why not go on a tirade about how Nintendo is in many respects hurting videogames?  I guess I feel like these reviewers stop caring if it isn't something high profile and wanted by hardcore gamers and are willing to give a 'pass' to games not made for the critics.  That never stopped a movie critic!  Reviewers need to be more consistent, either review or critique."
This might be a topic for another time, but was Wii Sports really that bad? It certainly could've been better, but i think saying it was worse than the latest Spongebob game is a little harsh. While it certainly wouldn't make any top 20 list of mine, it was still fun for a while, especially the bowling. 

Claude said:
"I was frustrated with RE 4 on the GameCube, but loved the Wii version, because I liked the controls. I played the Demo of RE 5 and was frustrated right away, so I'm staying away. It sure does look pretty though."
I dont know if this is representative of what most people think of the controls, but if it is, than the problem most people have is with the aiming. In which case,(assuming they have already tried changing the aiming sensitivity) shouldnt this game have been made for the Wii?

Artie said:
"Kratos who were you talking to five years? First off it should be mentioned that RE2 and RE3 came out 10 years ago, but that's besides the point.

or
B) A god damn hypocrite, and should shut the hell upIn either case, you have no reason to talk. If you don't like the game than don't play it, it has it's niche. You don't see FPS fans complaining about Final Fantasy because headshots don't do damage like it does in their FPS games. Don't apply the same expectations to different games."
Actually, I think the people who enjoyed RE4 are mostly defending RE5s controls. 
Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By Spencer

Damn it, you need to stop posting these things before G4's podcast feed updates.