RE5's Mercenaries mode is better than the Left 4 Dead games

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

Edited By Geno

Don't get me wrong, the Left 4 Dead games are great and have plenty of their own merits (large level design, interesting character dialogue, robust multiplayer etc.), but there are some things about RE5's Mercenaries mode that makes plain old zombie killing more fun.  

1) More diversity. In an L4D game you get 4 characters as per the name. Each character is the same other than their character model and voices. In RE5, there are also 4 characters but each character comes with their own weapon builds, melee attacks, and mannerisms. There are even different variations of each character, making for a total of 10 unique loadouts. If you want a character that can scissor kick zombies and then shoot them with a longbow, all while wearing a tribal bikini outfit, you've got one. From a gameplay standpoint, the characters are more than just carbon copies of each other.  

There are also more enemy types as well. You might exclaim "but wait! L4D has several different special type zombies such as the Boomer and The Spitter!"; true, but those comprise about less than 10% of the zombies you see while playing. Most of the zombies in L4D are clones that all die with 2 or 3 shots anywhere on the body. In comparison, there are a greater variety of zombie types amongst the "common" species in RE5, from ones that wield flaming crossbows to ones that wield shields and spears, while featuring many special zombies as well such as the Executioner.   

2) Better graphics. RE5 is one of the best looking games ever made and it retains its visual quality in the Mercenaries mode. Some of the prime benefits that this delivers are a cinematic feel, and more immersion as the zombies show fairly detailed emotiveness on their faces. In addition, parts of the environment can be destroyed with large explosions.     

3) More urgency. In L4D, I rarely felt any pressure even on the higher difficulties. The zombies are fairly stupid and you have a team to back you up. Though 20 zombies may come at you in a horde, since there are 4 of you that is effectively divided by 4 and really only 5-6 are allotted to you. Since they die so fast, and since they may even be killed by your teammate's crossfire, you rarely ever feel overwhelmed. The higher difficulty settings in L4D only seem to increase the damage dealt by the zombies, and not their actual numbers or tactics. 

In comparison, the zombies in RE5 will do their best to surround you before attacking; they also sidestep bullets, and wield both explosives and projectiles. If one gets too close, they will sometimes grab a hold of you to provide time for the others to close in or attack. This provides a greater sense of urgency, and forces you to make each shot count.   

4) Kills are more satisfying. Melee attacks are elaborate, and almost seem like miniature explosions in their effect. Headshots yield both satisfying visual and audio effects. L4D seems a bit limp in comparison.  

All in all, RE5 just seems like better zombie slaying action in my opinion. Characters are a bit more diverse gameplay-wise, the visual presentation is much better and it's a bit more involving. Plus, there's the good ol' arcade feel. 

So what do you guys prefer? 
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Geno

Don't get me wrong, the Left 4 Dead games are great and have plenty of their own merits (large level design, interesting character dialogue, robust multiplayer etc.), but there are some things about RE5's Mercenaries mode that makes plain old zombie killing more fun.  

1) More diversity. In an L4D game you get 4 characters as per the name. Each character is the same other than their character model and voices. In RE5, there are also 4 characters but each character comes with their own weapon builds, melee attacks, and mannerisms. There are even different variations of each character, making for a total of 10 unique loadouts. If you want a character that can scissor kick zombies and then shoot them with a longbow, all while wearing a tribal bikini outfit, you've got one. From a gameplay standpoint, the characters are more than just carbon copies of each other.  

There are also more enemy types as well. You might exclaim "but wait! L4D has several different special type zombies such as the Boomer and The Spitter!"; true, but those comprise about less than 10% of the zombies you see while playing. Most of the zombies in L4D are clones that all die with 2 or 3 shots anywhere on the body. In comparison, there are a greater variety of zombie types amongst the "common" species in RE5, from ones that wield flaming crossbows to ones that wield shields and spears, while featuring many special zombies as well such as the Executioner.   

2) Better graphics. RE5 is one of the best looking games ever made and it retains its visual quality in the Mercenaries mode. Some of the prime benefits that this delivers are a cinematic feel, and more immersion as the zombies show fairly detailed emotiveness on their faces. In addition, parts of the environment can be destroyed with large explosions.     

3) More urgency. In L4D, I rarely felt any pressure even on the higher difficulties. The zombies are fairly stupid and you have a team to back you up. Though 20 zombies may come at you in a horde, since there are 4 of you that is effectively divided by 4 and really only 5-6 are allotted to you. Since they die so fast, and since they may even be killed by your teammate's crossfire, you rarely ever feel overwhelmed. The higher difficulty settings in L4D only seem to increase the damage dealt by the zombies, and not their actual numbers or tactics. 

In comparison, the zombies in RE5 will do their best to surround you before attacking; they also sidestep bullets, and wield both explosives and projectiles. If one gets too close, they will sometimes grab a hold of you to provide time for the others to close in or attack. This provides a greater sense of urgency, and forces you to make each shot count.   

4) Kills are more satisfying. Melee attacks are elaborate, and almost seem like miniature explosions in their effect. Headshots yield both satisfying visual and audio effects. L4D seems a bit limp in comparison.  

All in all, RE5 just seems like better zombie slaying action in my opinion. Characters are a bit more diverse gameplay-wise, the visual presentation is much better and it's a bit more involving. Plus, there's the good ol' arcade feel. 

So what do you guys prefer? 
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I prefer RE5 because of the type of game it was.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By BunkerBuster

Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 allow mods.

/Thread

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By recroulette

This blog seems like a reason to post a ton of images...

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By HandsomeDead

The outdated animations really kill any kind of tension in Resident Evil 5.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Mercenaries mode is great. You can get into some pretty tense ass moments running around getting chased by stuff.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Afroman269

I enjoyed both of the games and think they are different enough to satiate different appetites and OMG SCREENSHOTS TO DA MAAAAAX!!!!!!!!

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By triple07

I disagree. I love both Left 4 Dead games and while I also like RE4 and RE5 I don't love them like everyone else seems to.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#9  Edited By ArbitraryWater

The thing is, I find them both to be incredibly fleeting and have touched neither especially recently. However, L4D is a much, much, much better game when played with friends or people willing to cooperate than Mercenaries mode will ever be. To me, the main point of RE5 is the main game, love it or hate it, and while Mercs is a nice addon, it didn't motivate me the same way RE4 mercenaries did (I never did unlock the handcannon. Stupid Leon and his not good weapons.)

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Animasta

well at least l4d is a good game?

(never played RE5 but you know, never liked RE games.)

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iam3green

i think left 4 dead is a better zombie killing game. i kind of think that they are different games. they are different in different ways.  left 4 dead there is free shooting and in resident evil 5 you have to look in to fire a gun. just kind of different things. left 4 dead feels like it would really happen and resident evil l5 feels fake. they are both great games though.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By rjayb89

Fuck man, those are some amazing screenshots.  Regarding the topic, I really can't say as I'm not a regular player of Left 4 Dead or a fan of the Resident Evil series after 2.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Diamond

I don't know if I'd go quite that far, but there is something I really like that you failed to mention.  The scoring system in RE5 really keeps me going.  The leaderboards (dunno if PC version has leaderboards, but either way...) and comparing my scores to friends is a driving force in me wanting to play that mode more.

EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By EVHKwick

Left 4 Dead games were built to be better at the kind of gameplay. And they are. 

Also, and this is the big one: there are no zombies in RE5.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

dat graphics

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know where I stand, really, in regards to this (admittedly weird and not entirely sound) debate, but those screenshots make me want to play through Resident Evil 5 again. 

TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By TonicBH

They're two different styles of play, bro. You can't compare a single-player time attack gauntlet to a co-operative zombie shooter. This is a dumb argument and I can't believe I read it. 

However, your words have made me consider buying RE5. I haven't done so and I heard it's pretty cool, so....

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Geno
@HandsomeDead said:
" The outdated animations really kill any kind of tension in Resident Evil 5. "
Yeah that's a valid point, the animations could have been improved a bit. Deaths should've been physics-based, zombies all dying in 3-4 set ways is certainly one of the weaknesses in the game. 
GreyFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By GreyFox

Apples and oranges....

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21  Edited By Deusoma
@TonicBH: 
Mercenaries mode is playable in co-op mode in RE5. So they're not all that different.
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By ESREVER

I almost forgot how beautiful that game is.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By McGhee

RE5 has tank controls, which is lame.  There is a problem with your game design when you need poor controls to make your game more intense.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By MikkaQ

By virtue of being painfully over-animated, and having horrible controls, RE5's mercs is much worse than the L4D games.  

I also feel like the only person who didn't like RE5's graphics. Typical japanese over-use of motion blur, and everything and everyone is too shiny. L4D felt grittier, but yeah source is showing it's age. 

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Haha

JohnnyMcmillen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JohnnyMcmillen

The gore in L4D2 is so god damn good, and the animations are so amazing. Sorry I love them to much.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ragdrazi

I have to say, from a poster so a student of thee illustrious Professor Oak, Geno's assertions don't seem anything like true.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SSully

It makes more sense to compare L4D's survival mode with mercenaries mode in RE5. And if you dont glitch, survival mode in L4D is much more intense, most of the time you cant even make it to 6 minutes. 10 mins is just stupid luck.