Avatar image for nightsintodreams
NightsIntoDreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NightsIntoDreams

I recently dug out and cleared the dust off of some of my older gaming systems (Super NES, Sega Genesis, Sega CD, Sega Saturn, N64).  And I think these games had a much more distinct vibe too them.  Now a days I feel like I'm just running around shooting stuff but back then it seemed like gaming had a purpose.  It wasn't all about the number of pixels or hi res textures.  Designers had to be more creative to get their vision across.  People need to play games like Earthbound, the first 3 FF games, the good old school Sonic the Hedgehog, Nights (bias I know), and many other gems from that time period.  I didnt name any NES games simply because I dont think too many people will really appreciate them.  It's hard for young gamers now to understand that these games were cutting edge at one point in time.  And I feel like Retro games were far more creative than games are now a days.  Yes there are a few games pushing the envelope, (Mirrors Edge, Little Big Planet) but as a whole games these days are just clones of other games.  Thoughts?

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By Arkthemaniac

People don't need to go back and play old games, developers need to make new games that are actually new.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By pause422

Every game for I don't know how long, since the last time a "genre" was invented, has mostly been a take on another one, and ideas from early games that carry over to the present. There's really no absolute reason for them to go back and experience that if they don't choose to. I think everyone has kind of accepted this fact by now though, that every new game has been done in one way or another. That's why it comes down to execution of how these games are made, and what sets them apart from the rest that matters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

i can`t imagine a gamer life style without having played, Donkey Kong Country,Mario 3, Timesplitters 2, Starcraft, animal crossing or The Legend Of Dragoon.
So those kids need to go out and play those.

Avatar image for nightsintodreams
NightsIntoDreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NightsIntoDreams

Devs have been forced to make games that appeal to the masses.  Because if your game doesn't make money then you are out of a job.  We have seen it many times.  A company comes out with some new fresh idea and it sells under the magic million mark and we never see it again.  I feel like we aren't going to see anymore because it doesn't make sense financially.  And that is what drives the industry today.  Gaming is no longer an art form. (there are exceptions. dont get your panties in a bunch)

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By StaticFalconar
NightsIntoDreams said:
"It's hard for young gamers now to understand that these games were cutting edge at one point in time.  "
You said it right there, Other than an academic project to be educated, they will never have the same feeling as the older gamers do, since they have been "spoiled" by the successive games of those old school ones that have refined and distilled to correct the formula.
DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By DXSSI

I disagree.  You are thinking with nostalgia and how important and wonderful games seemed to you when you were a kid.  If your children (current or future) have an interest in retro video games, by all means allow them to play them.  If they do not, don't make them, or else you will be doing to them what (odds are) your parents did to you.

Mine made me watch all sorts of awful television and listen to music that I had zero interest in, and would just as soon forget ever having done.

Andrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Andrew

I think kids should experience not necessarily "Retro" games, but Arcades... There is something about crowds of people waiting in line to play MK2... holding the same quarter  for four or five matches.. awesome!  There is just something special about my arcade memories that simply cant be recreated at MOST arcades in the states...

I think DXSSI is right too...  forcing the kids into something they dont like will just jade them in the end.
Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Aurelito

I can't determinate my sensual reactions from these new games, simply I just hate most of them. From every country. And I try pre-fourth generation games occasionally, but I can't  continue playing them after 5 minutes. (going into 16 next month.)
Also I think you're getting nostalgic and it attracts your judgments about seventh generation, there are shitty games in every decade but unmannercrafting is focused in this generation.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Red

Yes. Definitely, at least to try them out, but some games to start to feel dated, plus, playing old games like Strider and especially Earthbound is friggin hard. Not everyone has an SNES and not everyone wants an SNES. And...who wants to pay $260 for a SNES game?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By Dalai

Any kids who love video games should at least try out a few retro classics just for the history lesson, and I'll go a step further than the topic creator and I'll recommend trying out some NES and Atari games (Super Mario Bros., Space Invaders, Donkey Kong) just for the history lesson.  They don't have to love them, but just appreciate their existence.

And there's nothing wrong with nostalgia, in my opinion.  Enjoy the oldies.