Recommend any good iOS games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Baillie

I've been looking for a few good iOS games that me and my girlfriend can enjoy. I've got plants vs zombies and stuff but I was looking for something like professor Layton or pushmo, but I can't find anything. Any ideas duders?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Baillie said:

I've been looking for a few good iOS games that me and my girlfriend can enjoy. I've got plants vs zombies and stuff but I was looking for something like professor Layton or pushmo, but I can't find anything. Any ideas duders?

Phoenix Wright is on there. So is Puzzle Agent.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#3  Edited By pyromagnestir

Ghost Trick?

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Venatio

Ghost Trick, Sword and Sworcery, Galaxy on Fire 2, Infinity Blade 2 and Beat Sneak Agent are some good ones

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By mtcantor

Any of the kairosoft games.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Shookems

Rayman Jungle run is great

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By MildMolasses

Tiny Village. It's a shitty Farmville type game, but the music is fantastic. So just get it for the music and leave the game open as you do other stuff

Or just open this video and do the same thing

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mordukai

Rat on a Snowboard. 

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

Dream of Pixels.

NME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By NME

Certainly Puzzle Agent if you want a Professor Layton-ish game.

Ignoring that stipulation: McPixel, Game Dev Story, and Pinball Arcade if you're using an iPad and like pinball.

galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By galacticgravy

Personally, I've been playing Happy Street casually for a while now. Animal Crossing sort of game, naturally with iOS free to play trappings. Haven't sunk a dime into it yet. You can visit friends happy street and stuff. It's pretty bare bones, but I like it.

Shaunatate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Shaunatate

I think I have a good idea of the type of games you're looking for. Puzzle/thinking/cerebral/not too bloody/non platform type of games? I hate shoot em up/blood and guts/racing/fighting games. If i had to choose between the Wii or Xbox system, ill choose the Xbox. Based of the type of games available and the graphics so if you're like that. You'll like my suggestions. Here is a list of games Ive purchased and I HATE purchasing games. Some of them have a lite version available to see if u like them. And then make the upgrade buy purchasing it. I didn't know how to insert links, but ere's the list: Puzzle Agent- some of the puzzles can be a bit tough. But it's worth buying all three. Hector: Badge of Carnage 1-3- I own all three and LOVE them. It's like Phoenix Wright and NYPD Blue had a baby and that baby was Detective Hector. Your goal is to used objects around you to stop a terrorist. Funny script. Pick Me Up!- it's a series of puzzles based off a British kid's puzzle book. I'm not a fan of the sudoku, but they have this amazing pixel type game. Similar to Flow on iOS Some of the words you have to solve or spell can be tricky. Since its a brit base game the vocabulary is a bit different. Colour vs color elevator vs lift type of thing. I literally play this app hours a day. I can't put it down. Lego Harry Potter- while I'm not a fan of the film series. I absolutely love their Lego series. You solve different quests throughout his tenure at Hogwarts. It's pretty much obvious harry potter meets lego. Great graphics and soundtrack. The more you accomplish, the more achievements you unlock. And for someone like me who hasn't watch the films before, the cutscenes were a great way to get the gist of what's going on the the film. I own years 4-7. Sam & Max- don't own it. Just played a few scenes on a friend's phone. Planning on getting it when I can afford it. Ghost Trick- it was totally free when i got it months ago. Not sure now. you play a soul who can occupy different inanimate object. And your goal is to try to change history and save the life of a witness, by issuing various objects. If I think of more ill let you know. I'm very cheap. And if I'm willing to pay for these games, they must be good. If u have any questions feel free to ask. I'll check back later.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vexxan

Don't know about puzzle games but Rayman Jungle Run is probably the best iOS game I've ever played.

Spudonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Spudonkey

punchquest

Shaunatate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shaunatate

I forgot to add Cricklers. It's like crosswords on steroids. It's free. I've played it for years.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SexyToad

Get Ghost Trick. It's "free" to try but you'll need to buy chapters via in-app purchase. Phoniex Wright is awesome as well. So those 2!

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mellotronrules

SU-PER-

HEXAGON.

and- sword & sworcery is one of my favorite games from the past few years. PLAY WITH HEADPHONES.

Mishutiirio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mishutiirio

I think the iOS release of 'The Last Express' is a nice version of Jordan Mechners adventure title from 1997. It is not as lighthearted as a Professor Layton game but I really dig the rotoscoped art nouveau style and it's still interesting 15 years later because of the attempted real time simulation.

Also, if you like retro inspired arcade action, a couple of friends of mine and I have been taking a little more than half a year off of university, to create a little game that's based on the snake mechanics but with a more action oriented and tactical approach to it's gameplay. I don't know if it's in your wheelhouse but have a look at the trailer if you like.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#20  Edited By Little_Socrates

Code Runner is the most fun I've ever had playing games on my iPhone. It DOES very much require an iPhone over an iPad or iPod touch, though.

It's an FMV spy game that uses GPS as a primary gameplay mechanic.

The trailer provides a pretty accurate summary.

spexeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By spexeh

@StarvingGamer: Wow I had no idea Civ Rev was on iOS. Thanks!

LilithGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LilithGamer

I was about to suggest Plant vs Zombie but you've already played that one.

Have you looked at the iOS game list on www.bigfishgames.com?

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ducksworth

Spy Mouse. It's a sort of RTS-ish type game where you control a mouse by drawing paths for it to follow with your finger. The Goal of the game is to grab x pieces of cheese in the level while avoiding patrolling cats. Cats see you via line of site and then begin their chase but it's often possible to use the environment to loose them. The game very gradually introduces new concepts like mouse holes (think of them like portals) and small power ups like chilli peppers that give you a temporary burst of speed. Levels use sort of a three star ranking system but what you need is always predetermined. Things like "Don't get detected", "Draw a maximum of three paths", and "cause a cat to collide with a wall" are what give you your "stars". Very user friendly, a fairly expansive set of levels/worlds and a cute cartoony art style. Free to play, you can unlock stuff using cheese you collect during the game and I believe there are also extra levels or something you can purchase only with in game money. It is an EA game so they will bother you to get an Origin account ever once in a while but you can say no and it will let you carry on.

Where's My Water. Another puzzle game where you "control" a puddle of water. The object of the game is get the water from the top of the level to a pipe at the bottom o the level so a sad alligator can take a bath. You move the water by "cutting" away at the environment and letting physics do the rest of the work. It starts off simple enough but soon things like bombs that explode when wet, levers, and water pipes get introduced making some of the puzzles quite tricky. For the collectors, the game also uses a "three star reward system" in the form of rubber duckies that can be collected by having a set amount of water passed through them. This game is also free and you can pay to unlock extra levels.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By JoeyRavn

Run Roo Run?

iOS is shit, if you ask me, but that game is OK. Easy to understand, hard to master.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Raven10

There is a Professor Layton game called Layton Brothers that was released a couple months ago in Japan for iOS. Since Level 5 now has an American arm, I'd expect it to be released in the West eventually. So keep an eye out for that.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ben_H

GTA: Vice City! It actually works pretty well, at least on iPad it does. I'm just starting the Cortez missions myself on it.

Other stuff I think is pretty good

• Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (if you haven't played it. It is so good that I ended up buying all of the Ace Attorney games on DS)
  • Ticket To Ride
  • Superbrothers: Swords and Sworcery
  • Jetpack Joyride (free and a ton of fun)
  • Whale Trail (the goofiest thing I have played)
  • Kingdom Rush (My favourite Tower Defense game)
  • Puzzlejuice
  • Plague Inc.
  • ALL OF THE KAIROSOFT STUFF
  • Scribblenauts
  • Worms 2: Armageddon (kinda finicky but it seems to work well overall)

That should be a good start. The Ace Attorney game is hilarious and would be a fun thing to play through with someone else.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kindgineer

Spellwood just game out, and that's a lot of fun. It's sort of like an animal-world alternate reality of Hogwart's where people battle on a scrabble table. You can play mutli-player, and there are plenty of power-ups to freshen things up a bit. Here's a link to the iTunes store.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ben_H

@ck1nd said:

Spellwood just game out, and that's a lot of fun. It's sort of like an animal-world alternate reality of Hogwart's where people battle on a scrabble table. You can play mutli-player, and there are plenty of power-ups to freshen things up a bit. Here's a link to the iTunes store.

That looks quite neat! Thanks for the recommendation. I was looking for a puzzle game like that.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By ThePickle

Game Dev Story

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I'm almost sure Punch Quest and Hero Academy are going on my top ten list for the year so yeah. Those.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ledicek22: Oh, internet. This is fucking hilarious.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vexxan said:

Don't know about puzzle games but Rayman Jungle Run is probably the best iOS game I've ever played.

I second this... Jungle Run and Where's My Water and the two greatest iOS games I've ever played.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars. It's the best version of the game, believe it or not.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bad Piggies is currently free on the App Store. It's kind of a 2D Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@baillie:

Year Walk is going to end up on my GOTY list this year. Just remember to get the companion app.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Room

Chaos Rings

Magic the gathering 2014

Infinite blade 2

Xcom: Enemy unknown

Deus Ex: The Fall

Final fantasy 4

Frozen Synapse

The Walking Dead

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#45 chaser324  Moderator

Locking this down.

These recommendations are 6-12 months old and this thread has become primarily just an easy to find place for spammers to promote their own iOS game.