#1 Posted by Shotgunblast97 (125 posts) -

So recently I bought A ps1 memory card and Metal gear solid, So I've decided to buy some ps1 games. So far I am thinking of buying guilty gear and the second and third resident evil. So do you have any ps1 games you would recommend ?.

#2 Posted by Bollard (5663 posts) -

Coincidentally, I have been making a list of PS1 games recently that I really like and want to go back and play.

• Driver 2
  • Lego Rock Raiders (Can't remember if PC version is better or the same).
  • Crash Team Racing
  • Ape Escape
  • Hogs of War
  • Crash Bash (Need friends)
#3 Edited by Voxus (342 posts) -

Parasite Eve 1 & 2 are pretty great.

#4 Edited by Zaccheus (1797 posts) -
#5 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5715 posts) -

Vagrant Story, it's the best game ever made. Granted you could get it for much cheaper on PSN... along with almost every other great PS1 game (of which there are numerous), FFT and Front Mission 3 are on there as well. Chrono Cross is worth playing just for the soundtrack.

Vandal Hearts 2 isn't on PSN yet as far as I know so that's one, Team Buddies is fantastic and comically rare. Syndicate Wars is a unique experience, takes a bit to get into but it winds up being decent.

#7 Posted by HarlechQuinn (450 posts) -
#8 Edited by crusader8463 (14423 posts) -

Breath of Fire IV, Front Mission 3, and Vanguard Bandits are three of my all time favourite games that happen to be on PSX. If you don't mind spending a lot then get the Lunar games as well. As mentioned above however, just go on PSN and buy them. Unless you are rich or hate having money don't waste it buying physical copies. That's going to get real expensive real quick.

#9 Edited by Max_Cherry (1136 posts) -

Final Fantasy 7, Xenogears, and Metal Gear Solid are a must. It would be also good to have FFT, Resident Evil 2, Twisted Metal 2, and Syphon Filter.

#10 Edited by Lego_My_Eggo (1063 posts) -
#11 Posted by Thevamp25 (234 posts) -

Colony Wars and parasite eve

#12 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Final Fantasy VIII because you can break the hell out of that game. Speedruns are cool.

#13 Edited by Elyk247 (369 posts) -

Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped, Hot Shots Golf, Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey, Wipeout XL, Tekken 3, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Bushido Blade, Ridge Racer: Type 4, Parappa the Rapper, and all the Tony Hawk games. That's the best stuff I played.

#14 Posted by RazielCuts (2975 posts) -

Coincidentally, I have been making a list of PS1 games recently that I really like and want to go back and play.

• Driver 2
  • Crash Team Racing
  • Ape Escape
  • Hogs of War

Hogs of War was a great game! Man, it was Worms in 3D done 10+ years ago and Worms even now can't get 3D right! Also Crash Team Racing is arguably the best kart racer of all time.

Throw in my 2 cents.

• Final Fantasy 7 - 9 (5, 6 if you want to play the re releases too)
  • Crash Bandicoot (1-3)
  • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
  • Silent Hill

A few 'big' ones to get you started.

#15 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2488 posts) -

Some lesser known games I'd recommend:

• Brave Fencer Musashi
  • Omega Boost
  • Tomba! 2
#16 Edited by posh (504 posts) -
#17 Edited by Bollard (5663 posts) -

@chavtheworld said:

• Driver 2
  • Crash Team Racing
  • Ape Escape
  • Hogs of War

Hogs of War was a great game! Man, it was Worms in 3D done 10+ years ago and Worms even now can't get 3D right! Also Crash Team Racing is arguably the best kart racer of all time.

Both of these statements are the truuuuuuuth! I don't even like Worms, but Hogs of War, well, that game is the shit.

CTR is the only other kart racer that isn't Mario Kart that deserves being played.

#18 Posted by TyCobb (1972 posts) -

Resident Evil

Resident Evil 2

Twisted Metal 2

#19 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

Dragon quest VII looked good, if you can stomach a long intro before seeing your first slime.

#20 Edited by GunstarRed (5294 posts) -

Strider 2

#21 Edited by Zeik (2537 posts) -

Suikoden 1 and 2

Chrono Cross

Final Fantasy IX

Legend of Legaia

Lunar 1 and 2

#22 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Front Mission 3

#23 Posted by SpudBug (632 posts) -

staying away from the typical RPG stuff, which is good, but you need more than that..

Ace Combat 2 and 3

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Tenchu

Ridge Racer 4

Wipeout - any of them

In the Hunt (fun 2d Shooter made by the metal slug team, with submarines)

Future Cop: LAPD (3D top down shooter where you pilot a transforming mech/car similar to the 16 bit strike series)

Destruction Derby 2

Ape Escape

Einhander

Mega Man Legends series

Tomba!

Alundra

That's a good start.

#24 Posted by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

Final Fantasy 7 and 9, Parasite Eve 1 and 2, Chrono Cross and Resident Evil 2 and 3 also get my votes.

#25 Posted by CallMeTetris (72 posts) -

I'll second a bunch of them listed already - Parasite Eve, Silent Hill, Ape Escape, Xenogears, Mega Man Legends, RE3, Symphony of The Night, Chrono Cross, Front Mission 3, Omega Boost....and add Star Ocean 2, Dino Crisis 2 (the first one's good too, but holy hell do I love 2), Rival Schools, and Threads of Fate.

#26 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2259 posts) -

The Spyro the Dragon trilogy are some of my most favorite games on the PSOne so check them out.

#27 Edited by Oscar__Explosion (2362 posts) -

Final Fantasy IX

Spyro: Enter the Dragon

#28 Edited by spyder335 (327 posts) -

soul reaver was pretty good

#29 Posted by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -
#30 Posted by McTangle (157 posts) -

Nice to see Hogs of War getting its due here. Also, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee was fuckin' YEARS ahead of it's time.

#31 Edited by Danteveli (1196 posts) -

Just Google top 50 PSX games and play them all since that console had pretty good library.

Just to throw something out I will go with Front Mission 3 as one of my favorite SRPGs ever. That game had its own version of INTERNET!! .

#32 Posted by Ekskom (1 posts) -

RAYMAN!!!! Just played that hardcore but fun game today, got a 100% years ago but this time struggling a lot more. One of the most amazing platforming experiences ever.

#33 Posted by BioSpock (13 posts) -

• Driver 2
  • Crash Team Racing
  • Ape Escape
  • Hogs of War

Lego Rock Raiders was the shit! I played it only on the PC when I was a kid so I can't speak too much to quality other than its functional. Man, they don't make Lego games like they used to. Shout out to Lego Alpha Team as well.

#34 Posted by Bollard (5663 posts) -

@biospock: I never played Alpha Team :O Also I love the voice over in RR: "Hard Rock", "Soft Rock!"

#35 Posted by two_socks (232 posts) -

LSD and Vagrant Story would be my recommendations.