Resident Evil is dead.

EnterpriseE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By EnterpriseE

Thats it. I have had it with Capcom and how they are handling the Resident Evil series. Its almost as if Capcom has forgetten that Resident Evil was once a SURRIVAL HORROR GAME. REMEMEBER THAT!!!! I am seriously what is going on. Am i the only Fan of Resident Evil series who is disappointed by the lastest previews and videos of RE5.

First thing Capcom is the trailers. While the trailers are awesome but they pretty much shows about 80% of the games main story even someone who never played a RE game can tell how this story is going to go. Anyone who has been following the series knows who the mystery figure was from that last trailer Capcom showed to us. Yeah i know you don't have to watch it but hell its a trailer to promote your game not spoil the damn story. I really think Capcom really screwed up with the trailers because they reveal so much which begs to question what else is there to really play for? Whats bothers me is the fact that they are trying there hardest to market this game as a intense and fearful game which is funny when you add CO-Op which negates all fear in the game.

Me personally I think Co-Op kills this game for me. I don't mind it in games where Co-Op makes since like Gears of War or FPS but not in RE series. I mean yes there were the Outbreak Series which i really enjoyied despite what many gamers and critcs says about it. I think Capcom should revisit the Outbreak series because now we have the consoles in which the game can really stand on its on.

The problem is Resident Evil died with the release of Resident Evil Zero for the Gamecube. That was the last Resident Evil game that was part of Resident Evil cannon. Even the mighty Resident Evil 4 wasn't all it was cracked up to be by many RE Fans standards. But this series is done and over. Capcom should serioulsy think about killing this franchise and start over and change the name to "Action Advernture Game A".

EDIT:

I just recently read that CrapCom is adding a MP Versus mode to RE5 and it is all yours for an awesome BS price of 400pts on Xbox Live or 3.99 on the Playstation Store. CrapCom strikes again.

EDIT 2: DO NOT LOOK AT THE GAMETRAILERS REVIEW RE5 IT CONTAINS MAJOR SPOILERS. I REPEAT DO NOT LOOK AT GAMETRAILERS REVIEW IT CONTAINS MAJOR SPOILERS!!!

EnterpriseE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By EnterpriseE

Thats it. I have had it with Capcom and how they are handling the Resident Evil series. Its almost as if Capcom has forgetten that Resident Evil was once a SURRIVAL HORROR GAME. REMEMEBER THAT!!!! I am seriously what is going on. Am i the only Fan of Resident Evil series who is disappointed by the lastest previews and videos of RE5.

First thing Capcom is the trailers. While the trailers are awesome but they pretty much shows about 80% of the games main story even someone who never played a RE game can tell how this story is going to go. Anyone who has been following the series knows who the mystery figure was from that last trailer Capcom showed to us. Yeah i know you don't have to watch it but hell its a trailer to promote your game not spoil the damn story. I really think Capcom really screwed up with the trailers because they reveal so much which begs to question what else is there to really play for? Whats bothers me is the fact that they are trying there hardest to market this game as a intense and fearful game which is funny when you add CO-Op which negates all fear in the game.

Me personally I think Co-Op kills this game for me. I don't mind it in games where Co-Op makes since like Gears of War or FPS but not in RE series. I mean yes there were the Outbreak Series which i really enjoyied despite what many gamers and critcs says about it. I think Capcom should revisit the Outbreak series because now we have the consoles in which the game can really stand on its on.

The problem is Resident Evil died with the release of Resident Evil Zero for the Gamecube. That was the last Resident Evil game that was part of Resident Evil cannon. Even the mighty Resident Evil 4 wasn't all it was cracked up to be by many RE Fans standards. But this series is done and over. Capcom should serioulsy think about killing this franchise and start over and change the name to "Action Advernture Game A".

EDIT:

I just recently read that CrapCom is adding a MP Versus mode to RE5 and it is all yours for an awesome BS price of 400pts on Xbox Live or 3.99 on the Playstation Store. CrapCom strikes again.

EDIT 2: DO NOT LOOK AT THE GAMETRAILERS REVIEW RE5 IT CONTAINS MAJOR SPOILERS. I REPEAT DO NOT LOOK AT GAMETRAILERS REVIEW IT CONTAINS MAJOR SPOILERS!!!

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HandsomeDead

Shinji Mikami has left the team, so yeah, i'd say Resident Evil is done.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bullet_Jr

Undead.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

Why do people always rant before even trying the game out?  It does seem like there's things I don't agree with in the formula of RE5.  I think Capcom is using RE as a money machine, what with all the RE rails shooter spinoffs for the last few years.  All the remakes and ports.

Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Ujio

Isn't this the first game in the franchise to be given to a Western developer? There ya go...

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Let's just face it. There's no good Surrival Horror games nowadays.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bullet_Jr
Diamond said:
"Why do people always rant before even trying the game out?  It does seem like there's things I don't agree with in the formula of RE5.  I think Capcom is using RE as a money machine, what with all the RE rails shooter spinoffs for the last few years.  All the remakes and ports."
In defense of RE, not everything with the franchise name slapped on it is bad. I've enjoyed plenty of the RE spin-off games, particularly Outbreak I &II and Umbrella Chronicles.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Diamond
Arkthemaniac said:
"Let's just face it. There's no good Surrival Horror games nowadays."
Dead Space

Bullet_Jr said:
"Diamond said:
"Why do people always rant before even trying the game out?  It does seem like there's things I don't agree with in the formula of RE5.  I think Capcom is using RE as a money machine, what with all the RE rails shooter spinoffs for the last few years.  All the remakes and ports."
In defense of RE, not everything with the franchise name slapped on it is bad. I've enjoyed plenty of the RE spin-off games, particularly Outbreak I &II and Umbrella Chronicles."
I don't think people will consider RE5 bad at all either.  Just less than what they expected.  Personally I liked RE1, didn't care about RE2 and 3 because of the continuing tank controls, RECV on Dreamcast got me excited because of real time camera, REmake on GC was cool.  It's just that RE4 was the big refreshing comeback of the series.  Hope it won't be until RE7 before we see another remake that reclaims true greatness.

Ujio said:
"Isn't this the first game in the franchise to be given to a Western developer? There ya go..."
You thinking of Dead Rising 2?
Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Ujio
Diamond said:
You thinking of Dead Rising 2?"
I don't know? I thought RE5 was passed to a Western dev. as well because the lead Japanese designer guy said that he wouldn't be playing it due to it being "developed by a Western company." I could be be wrong or not remembering correctly, however.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Diamond
sidescroller said:
"Dead Rising 2 doesn't have a western developer does it?Neither does this..."
Dead Rising 2 does, being made by some Canadian company or something.  This was developed in Japan though.
EnterpriseE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EnterpriseE

Maybe it does have something to do with us RE Fans living in the past but back then RE games were scary with its outdated Pre-rendered Camera Angles.  What made Resident Evil Resident Evil seems to been  taken out of Re4 and RE5. Not that I had no problem with the series we reinventing itself  with RE4 which it kinda had to.  

I understand that the fans of RE4 are not fans of RE Series or better yet never played a single RE title till RE4. As a die hard fan of RE series I think I have to just be gratefull that the franchise is still alive but that still won't stop me from going after capcom for basically  droping all the previous RE games and what they contributed to the series for a more Action style of game. 

I think they kept RE5 to close to the forumula of RE4. As one person said Resident Evil Franchise went from Leader to follower with RE5 while getting rid of the things that make RE; RE. 

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#12  Edited By Icemael
Diamond said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
Dead Space"
Dead Space isn't survival horror. The Fatal Frame games, on the other hand, are good examples of recent, awesome survival horror games. If they would just localize the fourth one...
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Diamond
Icemael said:
"Diamond said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
Dead Space"
Dead Space isn't survival horror. The Fatal Frame games, on the other hand, are good examples of recent, awesome survival horror games. If they would just localize the fourth one..."
People have different definitions of survival horror.  Actually I take back what I said about Dead Space, I agree that isn't survival horror.

Dead Rising and Left 4 Dead are the only 2 survival horror games ever.
Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Gump
EnterpriseE said:
"I understand that the fans of RE4 are not fans of RE Series or better yet they never played a single RE title till RE4."
100% agreed. RE4 was a total departure from the Resident Evil franchise. In fact, Resident Evil 5 doesn't reflect the soul and spirit of the Resident Evil games. This game was only made for money and money and where are the traditional survival horror roots, the spirit and soul of the franchise? This game is more an average and generic shooter than survival horror game.

And of course, RE5 will get very positive reviews, which it obviously doesn't deserve.
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#15  Edited By the8bitNacho

Okay, I'm sick of this.  We all KNEW this was coming.  With the fall of the Umbrella Corportation in the main storyline, we all KNEW that the horror aspect of the series was over.  Resident Evil 4 presented very few scares, which really isn't a big deal.  How many more cheap dog-through-window jumps do you want?  Really?  Resident Evil 5 is very close to what Resident Evil 4 was, and Resident Evil 4 received an enormous amount of positive reception from critics and fans alike.  Now this game comes out, essentially the same game with a new story and several improvements and it's suddenly a total departure from the series.  What the hell?

It's sad to see the survival horror theme of the series pass, but that doesn't make the game bad for taking a more action-oriented approach.  It makes it different, but not bad.  It really just sounds like you WANT to hate the game.

Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By Gump

Resident Evil as one of the founders of the Survival Horror genre, should never become an action-oriented franchise. NEVER and NEVER, that's simply unacceptable. Unfortunately, that's irreversible at this point.

The Survival Horror genre is dying very quickly and only very few Survival Horror franchises are still there: Silent Hill, Siren (which was created by one of the developers of Silent Hill), Fatal Frame... ummm...

I don't really care anymore about the Resident Evil franchise. That's it.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By StarFoxA

I'd say that Resident Evil 5 looks like a great game as a whole, but not really a Resident Evil game per se.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By RHCPfan24
Arkthemaniac said:
Yeah. Dead Space =/= survival horror, it is an action game with a horror atmosphere. And I am fine with that actually. I am a bit disappointed to hear that RE5 eschews the horror and scary parts of its backlog in favor for pure action. RE4 held a good balance between the two. This may be different. I am huge fans of both the RE series and Dead Space (and Condemned for that matter), and I think it should be said that survival horror is not around anymore or that it has taken a new form. I think RE5 may not be the best example of this.
liquidsol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By liquidsol

How about you focus on the gameplay and not the title?  If this game wasn't called "RE5," it wouldn't be bashed nearly as much.  It's still at least a solid to great game.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By StarFoxA
liquidsol said:
"How about you focus on the gameplay and not the title?  If this game wasn't called "RE5," it wouldn't be bashed nearly as much.  It's still at least a solid to great game."
Yeah, I was reading a review and they brought up an interesting point; most of the negative things about the game is due to expectations not being met. It is very difficult--near impossible, in fact--to improve upon Resident Evil 4, for those who enjoyed Resident Evil 4. But, if you go into Resident Evil 5 without incredibly high expectations, you will find yourself enjoying it quite a lot.
EnterpriseE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EnterpriseE
To StarFox:

I am curious what you think if you are a long time RE fan since RE1 on the Saturn? 
Galrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Galrick
StarFoxA said:
"liquidsol said:
"How about you focus on the gameplay and not the title?  If this game wasn't called "RE5," it wouldn't be bashed nearly as much.  It's still at least a solid to great game."
Yeah, I was reading a review and they brought up an interesting point; most of the negative things about the game is due to expectations not being met. It is very difficult--near impossible, in fact--to improve upon Resident Evil 4, for those who enjoyed Resident Evil 4. But, if you go into Resident Evil 5 without incredibly high expectations, you will find yourself enjoying it quite a lot."

Very true. High expectations can ruin even a great game. My wife knows next to nothing about past Resident Evil games and she's enjoying RE5 tremendously. She see's the game for what it is and for what it offers, not for what she feels like RE5 should be in her opinion. She's unbiased and having fun, and that's what is important.

This kind of reaction however is nothing new: just look back at Gears 2. Fans are the worst critics.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#23  Edited By Icemael
Diamond said:
"Icemael said:
"Diamond said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
Dead Space"
Dead Space isn't survival horror. The Fatal Frame games, on the other hand, are good examples of recent, awesome survival horror games. If they would just localize the fourth one..."
People have different definitions of survival horror.  Actually I take back what I said about Dead Space, I agree that isn't survival horror.Dead Rising and Left 4 Dead are the only 2 survival horror games ever."
Survival horror is a genre with certain attributes. Just because it's horror and you need to survive doesn't make it survival horror. That would make most JRPGs action adventures, since they contain action and the people in it are on adventures. Dead Space is a horror third person shooterStarFoxA said:
"liquidsol said:
Yeah, I was reading a review and they brought up an interesting point; most of the negative things about the game is due to expectations not being met. It is very difficult--near impossible, in fact--to improve upon Resident Evil 4, for those who enjoyed Resident Evil 4. But, if you go into Resident Evil 5 without incredibly high expectations, you will find yourself enjoying it quite a lot."
If this game wasn't called "RE5" it would have been bashed more. Much more. Most people(including many of the ones who now defend it) would have hated the controls so much, they wouldn't have bought the game. And I didn't expect something better than RE4. I expected something at least as good. And the singleplayer(which was wonderful in RE4) in RE5 isn't even close to RE4. Sheva's AI is horrible, ruining the entire game(co-op, on the other hand, is great fun, but still...).
Jimbo7676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jimbo7676

Dead to you maybe. Everyone else will be buying RE5 and having a blast. I couldn't play the old Resident evil games. I liked them somewhat but I got tired of moving like a tank, shooting down hallways I couldn't see because the camera was pointed at my face, and finding multiple shapes of keys. Capcom brought the game to modern standards with RE4 which is one of my favorite games of all time and are continuing it in RE5. The fact is you are a minority, a niche. Capcom wants money so they will appeal to the majority. At least it is still a great game in it's own right. If you hadn't played the old games you might like this one. They could of gone whole hog and made it a gears clone but they didn't. I personally can't wait to play this game. By making Resident Evil modern they are making it continue to live and not die. Had they not done what they did with RE4, Resident Evi would of been dead a long time ago.

Retrogimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Retrogimp
Jimbo7676 said:
"Dead to you maybe. Everyone else will be buying RE5 and having a blast. I couldn't play the old Resident evil games. I liked them somewhat but I got tired of moving like a tank, shooting down hallways I couldn't see because the camera was pointed at my face, and finding multiple shapes of keys. Capcom brought the game to modern standards with RE4 which is one of my favorite games of all time and are continuing it in RE5. The fact is you are a minority, a niche. Capcom wants money so they will appeal to the majority. At least it is still a great game in it's own right. If you hadn't played the old games you might like this one. They could of gone whole hog and made it a gears clone but they didn't. I personally can't wait to play this game. By making Resident Evil modern they are making it continue to live and not die. Had they not done what they did with RE4, Resident Evi would of been dead a long time ago."
Ahh, finally some sense on this thread.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By crunchUK

I have to say, making resident evil an action game can only go wrong, since TPS has been done better pretty much everywhere

Lifestrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By Lifestrike
Diamond said:
"Icemael said:
"Diamond said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
Dead Space"
People have different definitions of survival horror.  Actually I take back what I said about Dead Space, I agree that isn't survival horror.Dead Rising and Left 4 Dead are the only 2 survival horror games ever."
You guys spelled Surrival wrong.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By toowalrus

Game first, judgment later.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By atejas

Resident Evil was never scary. Unless not being able to aim worth a damn is your idea of horror.

EnterpriseE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By EnterpriseE

Most of yall are correct about Resident  Evil  needing to change and RE4 brought that change and put it on top of everything else.  I am not saying Resident Evil needed to keep the tank like controls or pre-deterimined camera angles to make it scary. I am saying they need to make the game what the first trailer  was shown to us. Remember that trailer folks the one where Chris was walking down a hallway or alley way and then a swarm of enemies came to rush him. That was tense because it was implied that the enemies would rush u and not stop then attack. 

Or it could be my expectations are just to  damn high for Resident Evil. This is a great discussion despite what others say. 
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Arkthemaniac

No, it's not dead. RE5 may be disappointing to some, but RE6 is supposed to "revamp" the formula. Also, Darkside Chronicles for Wii . . . and this isn't me preferring Wii or anything . . . looks pretty awesome.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#32  Edited By AgentJ
Arkthemaniac said:
"No, it's not dead. RE5 may be disappointing to some, but RE6 is supposed to "revamp" the formula. Also, Darkside Chronicles for Wii . . . and this isn't me preferring Wii or anything . . . looks pretty awesome."
Well yeah! It's the first time revisiting RE2 ever! granted, I never played RE2, but of the original formula games this is often called the best, so how can i NOT be excited?
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Arkthemaniac
AgentJ said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"No, it's not dead. RE5 may be disappointing to some, but RE6 is supposed to "revamp" the formula. Also, Darkside Chronicles for Wii . . . and this isn't me preferring Wii or anything . . . looks pretty awesome."
Well yeah! It's the first time revisiting RE2 ever! granted, I never played RE2, but of the original formula games this is often called the best, so how can i NOT be excited?
"
If the camera shakes too much, as it seems to in the trailer. That might make you not excited.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#34  Edited By AgentJ

Maybe, but i don't anticipate it being much of a problem.