Science-Fiction and Video Gaming

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By owl_of_minerva

To the fans of science-fiction on the site, or those that happen to play a lot of science-fictional games, what would you consider the most excellent and well-realised science fiction games to ever be released and if possible, why?

I consider System Shock 2 and Deus Ex to be fascinating looks into the negative possibilities of technology. I also think highly of games like Assassin's Creed, the first Lost Planet for its world-design, Half-Life for its celebration of the power of science, Portal of course, and Mass Effect 1/2 although in my opinion the first is much better science-fiction (more emphasis on the particularities of alien races and their interaction with humans, more epic storyline).

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By Icemael

Are you asking for good science-fiction video games, video games with good science fiction, or both?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Hamz

I can't disagree with a single game you list. They are all up there in my most memorable and enjoyable sci-fi genre games.

Could we consider BioShock as Sci-Fi?....I always found the idea of a utopian society going wrong and crumbling apart to be a fascinating idea or theme in a game. We all strive for world peace but Bioshock sort of points out eventually that peace would be short lived.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@Icemael: I'm primarily interested in the latter, although however you would like to answer is fine.
damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By damswedon

System Shock those two games created one of the best villains in video game history. Also Mass Effect which i think could become one of the new major Sci-Fi universes.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Icemael

Lost Planet, Assassin's Creed and its sequel, Dead Space and the Mega Man Battle Network series come to mind. Especially the last two.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@Hamz:  I'm actually writing a thesis on this topic, and it's hard to disentangle utopia/dystopia from science-fiction generally. Some people would argue that utopia and dystopia is a subset of science-fiction although it's highly debatable as utopia has been around for hundreds of years longer than science-fiction itself.

However, I would agree absolutely that Bioshock is science-fictional. For although its emphasis seems to be on economics (a man is entitled to what he earns, and he should have as much freedom to do that as possible) genetic manipulation and science itself has a huge role in the transition from an imagined utopia to real dystopia - the twisted splicers being a case in point. Although one of the things I like so much about Bioshock is that it leaves it up to the player to decide for him/herself where Rapture went wrong.
Contra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Contra

There are a lot...
I always liked Freelancers universe, despite it's flaws.
 Warping into a system, it feels alive with all the background things going on.  Other space games have came since, but I don't think any of them have the feel of Freelancer. 
It always felt like there werte distinct limits to their technology, and there were lots of side stories going on. 

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@Contra:  I've heard a lot of good things about Freelancer and some other older PC games like X-Com. I'd very much like to play them, I should probably hunt them down.
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@Icemael:  I don't know much about Mega Man Battle Network. Are they particularly strong as science-fiction, or just good fun to play?
haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By haggis

It's interesting that people mention Freelancer. It captures something (the freedom and exploration) that few other SF games have. To be honest, I'm tired of being just another permutation of a damned space marine. Freelancer made you something different. I'd prefer a game like freelancer that didn't have so much combat, to be honest. More exploration, gathering intelligence, maybe, and some other action rather than space battles. Not that space battles are bad...

I found games like Deus Ex and Bioshock to be rather badly written, cliched messes (yes, I know I'm in the minority on this). Which is par for the course with SF gaming. Even good examples like Mass Effect 1/2 have serious problems (far too much borrowing of plot points and not enough original material). The same can be said for fantasy games like Dragon Age. (Now it looks like I'm beating up Bioware. I love Bioware, but they need to take some story risks.)

In general, SF game writing has been far, far below the standard for published SF. It's too bad. I think some of that has to do with game genres, which focus heavily on combat. That means you're stuck within certain overly traveled plot structures. What I'd really like is for a few SF authors to get more personally involved in creating a game. Doing some writing. Perhaps exploring some alternative gameplay approaches. This isn't so much a problem with SF games as it is a problem with gaming as it is right now, stuck in the same genres. We're not seeing anything new, just variations on the same old themes. Meanwhile, we're getting some great, original SF novels. Why can't we get some of that variety into our games?

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By yinstarrunner

I agree with everything you listed.  I'd add the Metroid series to the list though.  Sure, the universe isn't very detailed or anything, but the atmosphere and the tone are incredible, and the setting is great: Journeying through the ruins of dead civilizations trying to uncover the mysteries behind every door.

Edit: EVE Online is also a very cool sci-fi universe, if only because the freedom it gives the players to fuck each other over.

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By 9cupsoftea

I'm gonna cheat and say the BladeRunner PC game - which was nearly as awesome as the movie.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@haggis:  I agree with the point you make, although I'm not sure excessive comparison to other mediums will necessarily provide any single-shot solutions to game writing because of the dimension of interactivity. For instance, I consider Valve's approach to writing an achievement because it demonstrates you can utilise the environment and other such cues to convey information and immerse the player without breaking storyline flow. 
Deus Ex doesn't necessarily take risks for its storyline but it does take a number of risks in how the game is structured based on player decision-making (there are some things you can do to alter the plot I wasn't even aware of after multiple playthroughs). I think Bioshock is more thematically rich than many other science-fictional games. Its representation of a utopia/dystopia has layers of complexity and it uses its environment very well as another layer of narrative.
Assassin's Creeds reference to science-fiction is highly mediated by some interesting gameplay mechanics and conceits, besides the collision of virtuality with recreated medieval worlds.
But your suggestion is very interesting, and I hope that it's something that happens. Often science-fiction is just used as an overlay to conceal tired plot structures; that would be my criticism of many of the space marine FPSes flooding the market. This isn't anything new though, it happens in film all of the time.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Icemael
@owl_of_minerva said:
" @Icemael:  I don't know much about Mega Man Battle Network. Are they particularly strong as science-fiction, or just good fun to play? "
They're great fun, but the reason they came to mind was the universe they're set it. The series' take on cyberspace is really cool: The Internet is like a parallel dimension, and everyone's got these AI avatars that run around in that dimension doing stuff for them. Viruses are enemies, and the avatars fight them with antivirus programs -- weapons of all varieties: guns, swords, elemental powers, summons et cetera -- stored on "battle chips".

I'll stop there, but trust me, it's really, really cool.
Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#16  Edited By Jazz

I think its difficult to say what can be classified as Sci-Fi and what isn't these days. 
Is FFXIII Sci-Fi? (not that I'm saying its good..not having played it) Is Ac2 Sci-Fi? 
Science Fiction themes and Archetypes bleed into so many different games and mediums these days, its difficult to tell them apart. 
For one, I'd definitely name Deus Ex as what Sci-Fi games should be...the topics they cover and questions they ask. 
As for pure space opera the KOTOR and Mass Effect games deal with that very well, while also integrating elements of fantasy. 

With Richard Morgan writing Crysis 2, it'll be interesting to see if he is able to transfer his sci-fi writing skills from one medium to another.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@Jazz:  After and including 6, a number of FF games were bizarre if interesting takes on SF - Final Fantasy VII and VIII come to mind, although FFX has some elements of it as well. I'm not sure about FFXIII not having played it. There was an interesting transition from the world of magic/espers to pure technology and exploitation of nature in FF6-7. I should have included Final Fantasy, at least as particularly well-known and loved science fiction games. Assassin's Creed most certainly is, given its focus on technological themes (the science fiction is more of a frame narrative though).
haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By haggis
@owl_of_minerva: My problems with Assassin's Creed and Bioshock are mostly that, as someone who has read a lot of SF and Fantasy, I've already been there and done that. I know what the story is going to do because it's been done to death. The interactivity makes the games worth playing--especially AC2, which was just plain fun. But it would have been fun regardless of the story. By the end of AC2 I was bored to tears with the story. It's not that it's bad, just cliched. I think games can do better than this. I compare them to novels because that's the best alternative. Games have yet to reach even the quality of a bad novel. Okay, Mass Effect 2 is about as good as a bad novel (given that the writing comes from Drew Karpyshyn, who has written quite a few bad novels). I'm yearning for something transcendent in a game. Haven't gotten it yet.

That's not to say these games are bad, just that I hope that they'd be better. After all, as I said, there are a lot of bad SF novels. And bad SF movies. But there are a handful of really great ones. But there is no handful of truly great original SF game stories out there. We have okay, and good. I know my standards are probably irrationally high, but I have those high expectations because I believe that developers can deliver on it.
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@haggis:  The shock of the unexpected is one arguably one of the defining features of science-fiction, and I have yet to see that done successfully in a game. I don't care if the world or the characters are necessarily crafted as well or in the same way as the best sf novels, but cognitive originality definitely needs to be incorporated for sf games to reach the next level. Although I found The Dig completely alien, totally bewildering and couldn't stand playing it for more than about half an hour. I'm not sure if admitting this is my failing or the game's though.
Perhaps they need to try to bring in successful SF novelists more as Crysis 2 is doing, although I'm rather skeptical that it will work out for them.
jrbl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jrbl1

The game I like the story the most was WING COMMANDER IV.  It was super great in the day.   There have been many great ones since but that was the first real great one in my opinion. 

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By Cornman89
@Icemael: Maaaan... Megaman Battle Network. That game was, like, the entirety of junior high for me.