Sell me Xbox Live - what will it do for me?

• 77 results
REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By REDRUN

oldschool, for the record, my persona on the forums is usually idiotic at best. you can check my history an see how stupid my posts are, you may get some lulz out of them.

nothing personal, just trying to make light through something dark.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#52  Edited By oldschool
REDRUN said:
"oldschool, for the record, my persona on the forums is usually idiotic at best. you can check my history an see how stupid my posts are, you may get some lulz out of them.nothing personal, just trying to make light through something dark."
Ummm, okay.  Again with the vagaries of the internet.  It is so hard at times to get REAL meaning from someone's posts.  I do try not to over react, but hey, we are all human :-)  I tend to be flippant for my own amusement and sometimes that is misread.
REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By REDRUN

btw, welcome to the overly defensive and angry xbox 360 owner's club?...

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By oldschool
REDRUN said:
"btw, welcome to the overly defensive and angry xbox 360 owner's club?..."
There's a club?

Do we go out on the weekend and spam PS3 forums?  If so, I am so there :-)  (until the price comes down and I buy one of those as well, then I am a member of the United Nation of Gamers)
PolyesterPimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By PolyesterPimp

Owning all 3 systems I think i can comment on any and all of the above statements. Before I do i'll say that getting a Gold account without decent access to an online component is pointless; Gold is simply multiplayer. If you cannot play multiplayer due toyour connection then Gold is a waste and you should stick to silver until you can find a better connection.

Speaking on the whole Microsoft brainwashing campaign I'll say I disagree i much perfer microsofts online capabilities then that of sony or nintendo's. Being free doesnt always mean good and with microsoft i feel im paying for qualit services i rarely have slowdowns while playing my xbox but my  ps3 is totally different story as is my wii. I feel 50$ a month, just recently reduced to 39.99, is a small price to pay for a yearlong subscription to QUALITY service plus all the additional features related to it. Although the ps3 is free i find mines continiously collecting dust unless i want to stream videos. In no way am i outright bashing any system I use them all for different purposes I just enjoy my GAMING on my 360.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By REDRUN

yes, even the Wii Wankers aren't safe.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By iamjohn
oldschool said:
"Wait, are you saying that Chuongster and Seganet say I am an idiot or is Seganet saying that Chuongster is an idiot?"
The latter.  Seganet proves his stupid argument of "ONLINE GAMING HAS ALWAYS BEEN FREE" wrong.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yeah, people should never exagerate even when they obviously already acknowledge exceptions exist, and they're simply against them, otherwise they get attacked by douches. Don't exagerate on teh internetz plx.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By iamjohn
Al3xand3r said:
"Yeah, people should never exagerate even when they obviously already acknowledge exceptions exist, and they're simply against them, otherwise they get attacked by douches. Don't exagerate on teh internetz plx."
"Microsoft has brainwashed the majority of the console gaming public to accept paying for what has always been free" is not exactly an exaggeration that acknowledges exceptions.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yeah, it is an exageration, and XBL is an acknowledged exception. Always contradicts that if you take it so literally after all. Fact is, Microsoft brought online gaming to consoles in a big way (yeah, SEGA did it first etc, didn't catch on outside PSO and a few other games and the console failed anyway etc) and by asking for pay, they made it appear like standard practice, and many people consider it so when the truth is there are far more examples of companies offering such services for free, even if there's the odd one that's charged for it in the past, or even the present.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By cspiffo
Al3xand3r said:
"Yeah, it is an exageration, and XBL is an acknowledged exception. Always contradicts that if you take it so literally after all. Fact is, Microsoft brought online gaming to consoles in a big way (yeah, SEGA did it first etc, didn't catch on outside PSO and a few other games and the console failed anyway etc) and by asking for pay, they made it appear like standard practice, and many people consider it so when the truth is there are far more examples of companies offering such services for free, even if there's the odd one that's charged for it in the past, or even the present."
You should ask yourself though why you are so against the practice of pay for play.  Standard practice?  Give me a break.  The only place you can play 360 games is on a 360.  If you don't want to pay then don't play there.  It's only standard for those who play on a XBOX console.  You said yourself that there are many other different avenues.  I think many people who cling to free online believe that that is the way it should be simply because of the free "wild west" nature of the internet.  The fact of the matter though is that these companies pay a lot of money to allow gamers this "freedom".  It's not getting any cheaper for them.  If we value our hobby we should allow these companies the chance to expand.  The only way for them to do that is to raise capital.  The only way to raise capital is to make more money.  We live in a Capitalist society not a Marxist one.

Chuongsters post has been completely debunked due to it's false statements.  For you to suggest they are fact after they have been debunked is wrong.  It's also wrong to spin wrong statements to fit a certain viewpoint.

@ Oldschool

Okay, sorry for the late post on this.  I must have missed it.

It turns out belkin has a very good website which explains how to log into your account and change its settings.  http://www.belkin.com/support/
It doesn't say specifically how to change channels on the router but it will help you find the setting.

Once you're logged into your router you need to find the Channel/SSID link under the "Wireless" header.  just follow that link and it should be self explanatory what you need to do.  Just make sure that when you change your settings you have your laptop wired to the router or else you'll risk being locked out.  Make sure you remember (write down) the original settings in case something goes wrong.  Normally I'd do a step by step on this stuff but belkin's videos are very easy to follow.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By penguindust

It's as simple as this, unless you plan on playing games online (or have that option available to you) or if you need to get demos the week they are released instead of a week or so later, then there is no reason for you to get XBL.  Microsoft knows that not everyone needs Live which is why silver accounts exist. You can still download games, updates and patches but you don't need to pay the $80 for an unnecessary service for your needs.  You'd be better served purchasing a bunch of Arcade titles than tossing your money away on XBL.  Microsoft would love you just as much.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By iamjohn

PenguinDust, why are you paying $80 for Live?

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By cspiffo
iAmJohn said:
"PenguinDust, why are you paying $80 for Live?"
The OP is Australian.  Live costs $80 there.  Different currency though to the American dollar.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By iamjohn

Yikes.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By oldschool
iAmJohn said:
"Yikes."
Yikes indeed.  That is why it seems (aand is ) so expensive for the wireless adapter at $150.  It was so much better for me when our dollar was almost the the same as the US.  Still, we finally goot back over 70 cents, so it is getting better.cspiffo said:
@ Oldschool
Okay, sorry for the late post on this.  I must have missed it.

It turns out belkin has a very good website which explains how to log into your account and change its settings.  http://www.belkin.com/support/It doesn't say specifically how to change channels on the router but it will help you find the setting.Once you're logged into your router you need to find the Channel/SSID link under the "Wireless" header.  just follow that link and it should be self explanatory what you need to do.  Just make sure that when you change your settings you have your laptop wired to the router or else you'll risk being locked out.  Make sure you remember (write down) the original settings in case something goes wrong.  Normally I'd do a step by step on this stuff but belkin's videos are very easy to follow."
Thank you very mich for that.  I will give it a look on the weekend.

Just  to add my  personal opinion on paying to play games online, I avoid it like the plague.  Once I have the game, I don't expect to keep paying to play it.  Online multiplayer is a very poor substitute for split screen multiplayer that is far less frequent these days.  If Mario Kart was not split screen, it wouldn't be worth owning.  However, if I really played a lot of ames online with friends I have around the world, I could see a reason to make an exception.  I a, always concerned that the more we support these now, the more and more they will charge us for in the future (not relative to inflation).
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#67  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Al3xand3r said:
"Yeah, it is an exageration, and XBL is an acknowledged exception. Always contradicts that if you take it so literally after all. Fact is, Microsoft brought online gaming to consoles in a big way (yeah, SEGA did it first etc, didn't catch on outside PSO and a few other games and the console failed anyway etc) and by asking for pay, they made it appear like standard practice, and many people consider it so when the truth is there are far more examples of companies offering such services for free, even if there's the odd one that's charged for it in the past, or even the present."
Don't actually believe at any time that before my post and 2nd post chung acknowledged that xbox live was the exception infact what i took from his iniital post was.

1.every thing in online gamig was free TILL xbox live.
2.Demos were all ways free till xbox live
3.Trailers were all ways free till xbox live
4.Game chat was standard and free till xbox live
5.unified friends list were standard and free till xbox live.

The entire post by chung was a liars bash againest xbox live and gave no real reasons why oldschool should get xbox live beyond FREEE (not every thing free is good) but as for that why is this thread still going on? its obvious oldschool has never had any intention on geting xbox live and i doubt any of us will change his mind since hes still debating with people about it.

Old school you only really need to know is if you are going to play online with the 360 you ned xbox live to do it if your not gonna play online then you dont need it its really as simple as that.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By iamjohn
Also, if you want wi-fi for your 360, here's a protip: the Xbox wireless adapter works with the 360.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Al3xand3r

"its obvious oldschool has never had any intention on geting xbox live and i doubt any of us will change his mind since hes still debating with people about it."

It's only obvious in your twisted mind, his question was valid, genuine, and several people responded decently to help him decide, or were otherwise helpful for any future possibilities if his situation changes, like the post above this one. And without making a fuss over him being a little snarky or because he wasn't 1000% satisfied with the offered features and the price of the available options.

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#70  Edited By Giantsquirrel

Find a 1 year subscription card somewhere for shit cheap. Or save your dollas.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By oldschool
WilliamRLBaker said:
its obvious oldschool has never had any intention on geting xbox live and i doubt any of us will change his mind since hes still debating with people about it.
Oldschool said:

So, PC online arguments aside, then there is no reason for me to get Gold, which is fine.
I am still keen to know exactly what you guys get up to on Live, so I can make best use of it.  It is only the real users like yourselves that can point me in the right direction, so I don't miss anything good.  Assume I know nothing - because it isn't ffar from the truth.
You see that - it was early in the second page.  It is very hard to like you Wii, you don't read what won't suit your purpose.  Your only purpose here is just to troll.  You made your point and you like a dog with a bone, you just keep going.  Why?

The debating part had finished for me about 40 posts ago, please keep up.  Not only was I genuine in asking, but I also freely admt that not only did I know nothing about Xbox Live, I didn't even know Silver was free!  I was absolutely clueless on the subject.  Why would I know?  I didn't own a 360 and I have never bothered to read threads about Live as it wasn't a subject of interest to me.  Now it is.

As it is, Gold is still not completely out of the question.  Having for a one month trial, I see no reason not to take a game online this weekend (overnight) and actually find out what the lag is really like.  It may not be as bad as I think.  It is only a result of talking to the sensible and constructive people on this thread that I have actually learned some things.  You howeever - not helpful.

I will try Halo Wars, Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, Mass  Effect (that one sounds good), Enchanted Arms, Naruto: Rise of a Ninja, Devil My Cry 4, PGR 3 and Star Trek Legacy.  Those being the Live games I have.  I think I will make a blog of it and call it "Xbox Live adventures on a crappy internet connection"  It will be intersting (for me).
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Al3xand3r

Uh, I think some of those are single player only and just have the live icon for other features. But I may be wrong. I had Mass Effect on PC and didn't notice any MP options, lol. Maybe they list it for the available DLC, which I guess you can get with just silver.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By oldschool
Al3xand3r said:
"Uh, I think some of those are single player only and just have the live icon for other features. But I may be wrong. I had Mass Effect on PC and didn't notice any MP options, lol. Maybe they list it for the available DLC, which I guess you can get with just silver."
See Alex - more examples of my genuine ignorance :-)  I just saw the Live logo on top and named them.  Still, I will learn more by  taking them online and finding out for myself.  You can teach an old  dog new tricks.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#74  Edited By Karmum

Xbox Live Gold lets you...play games online...with friends. So if you don't want to do that, don't buy it. You know what you should try? Buy a month, or even 3 months of Xbox Live (with a prepaid card), and try it out. Obviously if you don't like it, don't renew your membership after the expiration date.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By oldschool
Karmum said:
"Xbox Live Gold lets you...play games online...with friends. So if you don't want to do that, don't buy it. You know what you should try? Buy a month, or even 3 months of Xbox Live (with a prepaid card), and try it out. Obviously if you don't like it, don't renew your membership after the expiration date."
True.  Which is exactly why I should see just how multiplayer games actually work with my internet connection, whilst I have the one month trial.

I am getting the feeling though, that because I don't play shooting games, most of the 'good' multiplayer games are not part of my games life.  Looking at my games, the ones that have online multiplayer are:
Star Trek Legacy (are there still enough trekker geeks out the to play?)
PGR3 (it's old, will there be anyone still playing it?)
Naruto Rise of a Ninja (surely there are 12 year old Naruto fans out there to kick my arse?)
Enchanted Arms (seems fairly limited and does anyone still play it?)
Halo Wars (surely there people playing this?)

Not a great range of choices for online.
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By cspiffo
oldschool said:
"Karmum said:
"Xbox Live Gold lets you...play games online...with friends. So if you don't want to do that, don't buy it. You know what you should try? Buy a month, or even 3 months of Xbox Live (with a prepaid card), and try it out. Obviously if you don't like it, don't renew your membership after the expiration date."
True.  Which is exactly why I should see just how multiplayer games actually work with my internet connection, whilst I have the one month trial.

I am getting the feeling though, that because I don't play shooting games, most of the 'good' multiplayer games are not part of my games life.  Looking at my games, the ones that have online multiplayer are:
Star Trek Legacy (are there still enough trekker geeks out the to play?)
PGR3 (it's old, will there be anyone still playing it?)
Naruto Rise of a Ninja (surely there are 12 year old Naruto fans out there to kick my arse?)
Enchanted Arms (seems fairly limited and does anyone still play it?)
Halo Wars (surely there people playing this?)

Not a great range of choices for online.
"
Don't forget to get Uno!  it's like 400 points and will keep you going on live for a long while.  Oh, and let me know how your adventures in networking go either here or with a PM.  Can't wait for your blog post.
libertyordeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By libertyordeath

Nothing that isn't free somewhere else.  Sure there is the marketplace but all other consoles have a similar function.