Sequels that broke from the originals mold?

Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Lieutenant

I was thinking to myself the other day about how much flack Gears of War 2 got for being Gears 1.5 and I tried to think of sequels that went batshit crazy and completely changed the game. I failed miserably to find any... though almost every sequel I think of seems just like a more refined and polished version of the original with a couple new mechanics thrown in.

Games I can think of that broke the mold and went for something completely different:

Zelda II
Banjo Nuts and Bolts

So please, giantbomers. Enlighten me on games I may have overlooked that changed the games foundation.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By samfo

Well from this year alone -
Fallout 3,
Grand Theft Auto 4 (to a lesser extent),
Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts.

But the oddworld games also spring to mind,
The first one (Abe's Exoddus doesn't count) was a 2d platformer.
 The second was a 3d platformer
and then Stranger's Wrath was a 1st/3rd person shooter.
There were also plans for an Oddworld RTS called Hand of Odd.

Moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Moon

I hate when games do this. If youre not going to make a true sequel make an original game.

flakhoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By flakhoe

early GTA comes to mind..........especially the jump between 2 and 3

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By DragoonKain1687

Well, sometimes, this changes are for the best, sometimes, they are for the worts, and some times, its a mild flavoured meal.

GTA 2-3.                  Great change, still preserving its nature
GTA SA-4                Somewhat weird change imo. It lost its spirit, by trying to make a more realistic approach, at which it fails as being a GTA game, but is a great game if you are not looking for a GTA.
RE 0-4                      This change is similar to what GTA IV did last year. They lost their original essence, but managed to create an amazing result.
DMC 1-2                   Way to almost kill a franchise here Capcom, though we have to admit that DMC 2 set the foundation to DMC 3 and 4 with its faster combat system, and trick moves.
Dino Crisis 2-3       Now this is the one that hurted me the most, and probably the reason of my inner hate for Microsoft. How could they DO this??? and Why!
Fallout 2-3                Fallout 3, despite of what some may say, is still Oblivion with guns. Most good things are back, but also all the bad things. Despite the fact that I played it on PC, its still full of glitches, making you wonder, how could it get such high scores with an outdated engine and terrible glitches, yet S.T.A.L.K.E.R got a 7 being the superior game for having a couple of glitches? At least in STALKER I would never loose my progress. Fallout 2 was leagues better than this in every aspect.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By TwoOneFive

mgs3-4....the fact that people are playing this like cod4 goes to show the big changes that were made. 

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By kush

I think the best example of this would be Madden 09 over Madden 08...They took out John Madden!! Like, OMGZ!!! On a more serious note, I would say that some prime examples of this would be: GTA2 - GTA3, Fallout 2 - Fallout 3, Metal Gear 2 - MGS, etc...though these all show examples of sequels changing drastically because of technological advances, not because they decided to change formulas. I don't think many sequels try to change their original mold because if it sold and worked the first time...why mess with success eh?

Postal - Postal 2 ...First-person perspective and cat-silencers are some big changes!

daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By daz0608

Burnout Paradise

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By xplodedd

Team Fortress 1 - 2
and Doom 2-3

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Drebin_893

MG - MGS

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AuthenticM

-Resident Evil 4
-Dino Crisis 2

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#12  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Police Quest - Police Quest SWAT
King's Quest - King's Quest Mask of Eternity
Might and Magic - Heroes of Might and Magic - Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Final Fantasy X - FFXI - FFXII

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

Notice how most of the ones featured are sequels on a different generation of systems.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#14  Edited By wefwefasdf

Isn't Nuts and Bolts more of a spiritual successor?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
SpikeSpiegel said:
"Isn't Nuts and Bolts more of a spiritual successor?"
No... spiritual sucessors are things that do the same type of game under a different universe and name. 

HandsomeDead said:
"Notice how most of the ones featured are sequels on a different generation of systems."
not always.
think about FF12 from FF10 (do we even count ff11? )
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HandsomeDead
SmugDarkLoser said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"Notice how most of the ones featured are sequels on a different generation of systems."
not always.
think about FF12 from FF10 (do we even count ff11? )
"
Hence my use of 'most'.
dabada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dabada

Yeah, Gears of War 2 does seem to get a lot of 1.5 bashing.

What is it that we expect a sequel to have within the same generation of hardware? What did Gears need to do to "deserve" a 2 instead of a 1.5? I consider it a full sequel.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zitosilva
DragoonKain1687 said:

Dino Crisis 2-3       Now this is the one that hurted me the most, and probably the reason of my inner hate for Microsoft. How could they DO this??? and Why!
I didn't even know that a Dino Crisis 3 existed. But it's still true from 1 to 2. First one was more survival horrorish. The second one was more arcade, with you getting money for killing dinosaurs and buying stuff.
dabada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dabada

Dino Crises 1 to 2 was one of those rare times that a fairly significant change was made, and I liked both. I actually was predisposed to hating Dino Crises 2, but I ended up liking it. Normally, I don't want or expect changes like that in a sequel. Besides, I did not like Dino Crises 3.

The Dino Crises series isn't the norm. Normally a sequel within the same console generation is more of the same, but improved. Why is Gears 2 being viewed so harshly?

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

Anybody ever play Ground Control? That game was freakin sweet.  You only got a couple of units and you had to really think about how you used them and what equipment you gave them,

The sequel was shite, unit spamfast with a lot less focus on tactics.

I thought the new gears was a pretty good sequel, it added a lot without actually changing the gameplay.  The hostage thing, heavy weapons and new enemies were pretty cool.  A pretty good sequel imo

AvD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By AvD

Super Mario 1 - 2... but than 3 brought it back

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By DragoonKain1687
zitosilva said:
"DragoonKain1687 said:

I didn't even know that a Dino Crisis 3 existed. But it's still true from 1 to 2. First one was more survival horrorish. The second one was more arcade, with you getting money for killing dinosaurs and buying stuff."
I still believe that DC 2 was the foundation stone for RE 4. DC 3 was released exclusively on the Xbox (talk about Capcom EVER being loyal) and it was set in the distant future, in an space ship with mutant monsters that "resembled" dinosaurs. A complete piece of Ar.... Yeah sure, a complete piece of bull shit.
The change from 1-2 was great, at least, DC could escape from RE shadow, with its new, action packed gameplay (I loved, and still do DC2, in fact, I have it installed in my PC). But the third game was terrible.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#24  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Oh - Super Mario World to Mario 64.  Huge difference.

Deathawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Deathawk

Jak and Daxter to Jak.: In the first game it was a cutesy platformer similar to Mario 64 or Banjo Kazooie, then the sequel went in a much darker direction and resembled GTA more than anything.

Speaking of Open World Sly 2 also went in ithis direction, the first onme was a level based platformer that could be compared to Crash Bandicoot, but the sequel removed all of the straight forward levels, replacing them with various sandbox where you'd have to take on multiple missions to set up a 'heist' and complete the levels.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By jakob187

Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal to Ratchet and Clank: Deadlocked.  That was an ALARMING change for the franchise...and one that wasn't for the better IMO.  Glad they took it back to being good ol' R&C.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By DARKIDO07
Moon said:
"I hate when games do this. If youre not going to make a true sequel make an original game."
Wrong, and damn I really need to write an article about this when I'm not feeling lazy or bogged down with homework, but, re-inventing a series is the best thing you can do to it. After a while your ideas for a game start to slide or the game doesn't change at all. When developers try something different they are taking a huge gamble, it either works and sells great, or it fails and a game in a fantastic series is ruined and they loose part of their fanbase. There is too much repetition in games and between games, its nice when developers think outside the box and make something great. Take Nuts and Bolts for example, the change is allmost seemless and I'm having so much fun with the game. The freedom the game now gives you is rewarding and works great within the world of Banjo and Kazooie. Look at Far Cry 2, Ubisoft took an idea, and made it into something far greater than Crytek probably would have made. Now Far Cry and Crysis are two distinctive franchises, allbeit still similar, they are now no longer the same series. The best Zelda games in my opinion are Majora's Mask and Wind Waker simply becuase it offered something tottally new that worked and wasn't the same Zelda we had played the previous 100 times.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By TheGreatGuero
Kush said:
"I think the best example of this would be Madden 09 over Madden 08...They took out John Madden!! Like, OMGZ!!!
WHAT THE?! Dude, are you serious?!?!?!
AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By AndrewGaspar

Jak and Daxter to Jak II

Deathawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Deathawk
jakob187 said:
"Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal to Ratchet and Clank: Deadlocked.  That was an ALARMING change for the franchise...and one that wasn't for the better IMO.  Glad they took it back to being good ol' R&C."
I don't think Deadlock was ever meant to be anything more than a spinoff. So I'm not sure it should count. Although the mention of Nuts & Bolts so much in this thread may beg to differ.