Series where you've beaten every mainline entry?

norm9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I'm running through Halo Reach right now since I took a few vacation days off and once I finish Reach, all I have to do is beat Halo ODST and I'll have beaten every one of the mainline Halo games.

I started thinking and couldn't come up with a series that I've beaten every single game that's in it.

I can't even come up with a close second place series. Maybe Zelda? But I'm missing majors mask and skyward sword. Maybe Mario? But I'm missing Odyssey, Sunshine, and Galaxy 2.

So who's run through an entire game series and which was it?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

MGS, DMC, BioShock...

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

I'm only going to include things with three or more games (I also might be missing a few things):

• BioShock [I haven't played the Infinite DLC]
  • Sam & Max
  • Zero Escape
  • Dead Space [I haven't played the spin-off games]
  • Borderlands
  • Doom [I haven't played Doom 64 or the phone games, and I haven't finished Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil]
  • Crysis
  • Commander Keen [I haven't played the Game Boy Color one]
  • Picross e [All the ones that were released here, at least]
  • Half-Life [Does this count as having three or more games??? Regardless, I've beaten all of the main entries...but not the Japanese arcade game...]
  • Darksiders
  • Doorways
  • Catacombs
  • Puzzle Quest [1, Galactrix, 2. I haven't played the Marvel or Magic: The Gathering ones...]
  • Penumbra [including Requiem...]
  • Penny Arcade Adventures
  • Hexcells
  • Dishonored
  • The Banner Saga

Edit: added more.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Efesell  Online

I've got a couple really long ones, Final Fantasy and Tales of X. Though it depends on how strict of a definition of mainline you use. I've finished every numbered and primary entry there though.

For smaller series it's pretty rare for me not to finish them all if I've committed to one, may as well see things through.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

My completed series:

• Command & Conquer: 9 games (C&C 1-4, Red Alert 1-3, Generals, Renegade) and 8 expansion packs
  • Grand Theft Auto: 7 games (1-5, Vice City, San Andreas)
  • Fallout: 6 games (1-4, New Vegas, Tactics) and all DLC
  • Metal Gear Solid: 5 games (1-5), plus Revengeance and Ground Zeroes
  • "Soulsborne": 5 games (Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1-3, Bloodborne) and all DLC
  • Deus Ex: 4 games (original, Invisible War, Human Rev, Mankind Divided) and all DLC
  • BioShock: 3 games (1, 2, Infinite) and all DLC
  • F.E.A.R.: 3 games (1-3) and 2 expansion packs
  • No More Heroes: 3 games (1, 2, Travis Strikes Again)
  • Dead Space: 3 games (1-3)
  • Max Payne: 3 games (1-3)

Close:

• Final Fantasy: 11/13 games (1, 4-10, 12, 13, 15), not counting MMOs--haven't played 2, didn't finish 3
  • Burnout: 5/6 games (2, 3, Revenge, Dominator, Paradise)--haven't played 1
  • DOOM: 4/5 games (1-3, 2016)--haven't finished 64 or all expansions yet
  • Far Cry: 4/5 games (1-4)--haven't played 5
  • Uncharted: 3/4 games (1-3)--haven't played 4
  • Mass Effect: 3/4 games (1-3) and all DLC--haven't played Andromeda
  • Phantasy Star (old): 3/4 games (1-3)--haven't played 4 yet

That's all I can remember right now. I'm not a completionist about series, so I won't play a game I don't want to play, even if it's the only one in the series I'm missing. As a result, I don't expect to finish any of the series above, except for Phantasy Star and DOOM because those are the only ones whose remaining games I actually want to play.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS (i wish they'd re-release them all so i can play them easily), Half Life, Max Payne, Bioshock, Skate, Hitman, Tekken (as much as you can "beat" Tekken), definitely missing some.

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The only series I can say I played all mainline game is Uncharted

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By BoOzak

I have trouble remembering things but i'll try my best... (in no order)

• Saints Row
  • MGS
  • Crysis
  • Far Cry
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Burnout
  • Dead Space
  • DMC
  • Darksiders
  • Yakuza
  • Gears of War
  • Mass Effect
  • Halo
  • Dead Rising
  • Fear
  • Half-Life
  • Dark Souls
  • Pikmin
  • Call of Duty
  • Bayonetta
  • Codemned
  • Max Payne
  • Banjo Kazooie
  • Dead or Alive
  • Bioshock
  • No More Heroes
  • Uncharted
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Jak & Daxter
  • Deus Ex
  • God of War
  • The Witcher
  • SSX
  • Crackdown
  • Fable
  • Titanfall
  • Gravity Rush
  • The Evil Within
  • Batman: Arkham
  • Just Cause
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Infamous
  • Resistance
  • Dragon Age
  • Mirror's Edge
  • Dishonored
  • Shenmue
  • Force Unleashed
  • KOTOR
  • The Crew
  • The Division
  • Watchdogs
  • Portal
  • Shadow of Mordor
  • Prototype

I'm sure i'm missing some but I tend to commit to franchises for better or worse.

I would have included Metroid but I havent played through 1 or 2 just the remakes. (official or otherwise) Nintendo are a bit weird in how many spinoffs and remakes they have, it's hard to keep track of whats "mainline" with them.

EDIT: Removed some stuff.

RE-EDIT: Added some stuff.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of my examples have already been listed, so I guess I'll add the Infamous and Resistance series (didn't play that Vita release for latter).

I'm having a hard time thinking about a series with most mainline entries that I've beaten. If counting in A Quest for Booty, Into The Nexus and the 2016 remake, then it's Ratchet & Clank. It's probably still R&C even if you drop those.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By darkvare

let's see

resident evil(evn spinoffs)

castlevania

contra not the newer one thoug

metal slug

yakuza(evan all 4 japan only spinoffs)

silent hill (except the psp mp one)

doom

zelda

max payne

gta

borderlands

diablo

dark souls

halo

and some others that i can't remember now

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Suikoden, Fallout, Disgaea, Metal Gear Solid, Saints Row, Bioshock, Monkey Island, Quest for Glory, Dead Island (and Dying Light)... sure I'll have more to add to this soon when I remember them.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I play one and like it I make a point to play them all (even if some are generally regarded as bad) it would be a lot easier to list series' that I haven't played or haven't liked enough...

Gears of War

Grandia

Breath of Fire

True Crime

Saints Row

Tropico

Most certainly a few others but I have eclectic tastes and I play a whole lot so there isn't a massive amount of stuff I haven't tried by now.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rahf

@someoneproud: Breath of Fire is my guilty pleasure. That is really a run-of-the-mill RPG series that somehow stuck with me during childhood and teenage years.

The fifth iteration was and is quite poor.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Efesell  Online

@rahf: Dragon Quarter is rad as hell, I think it probably holds up more than any of the others at this point.

Plus it introduced the restart system that would go on to confuse and delight fans of Dead Rising.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rahf: It was a surprising one for me, on paper they seem like the sort of games I'd like but I've tried IV multiple times and always bounce off real early for some reason.

Grandia is also in that same boat for me but I like the Dragon Quest games and they are extremely generic/run-of-the-mill JRPGs for the most part so I guess I dunno what puts me off Breath of Fire really, maybe if I started playing them in m younger years.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Fuck, I don’t know...Uncharted, Halo, Gears, Mass Effect (wait, I bailed on Andromeda), Dragon Age, Bioshock, Metal Gear Solid, Doom, Diablo, Max Payne, Witcher, Fable...

Honestly, I’m shocked how many series I’ve skipped an entry or gave up on entirely.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a cool thread idea. You really made me think.. Oftentimes these days I put a game down before I've beaten it.

BioShock, Batman Arkham, Deus Ex (old and new), GTA, Half-Life, Quake.

Jesus. That's it?! I'm severely disappointed.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rahf

@efesell: "Hey, Player, here's the awesome dragon ability this game series is known for! Here's a caveat though: you gain percentage on a meter everytime you transform or use an ability, and once that meter fills up completely your game's over. And there are no ways to replenish it as you play the game whatsoever. Neato, huh!"

I mean, wow, talk about a bold choice that completely backfired.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Efesell  Online

@rahf: I mean yeah it kinda ruled. It gave you a literal cheat mode and then challenged your willpower in using it.

Except not really, you can use it quite a bit. It's mostly just intended to scare you into not and it worked really well at that.

tp0p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess only gears of war and mass effect, if you dont count andromeda. I never got through bioshock 2 or halo 4. Surprised I finished halo 5. That was the least memorable game ever.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By frytup

I've finished every RPG Bioware has ever released.* Yes, including Andromeda. No, Anthem doesn't count.

*Except for Sonic Chronicles. A game I just now learned exists. Time to break out the DS emulator.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: except it is the fifth iteration in a series which has used the dragon theme as a pull.

To saddle the game with a time bomb that can completely wreck your progress at any point if you're not cautious? Ludicrous.

Pooch516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Pooch516

I'm sure I'm missing a few lesser known/important series, but this is what I can remember. I usually quit series after it's clear that they've reached their "logical" conclusion (end of a trilogy/main storyline, new company making it, etc.)

Legend of Zelda- Have played/beat all of them (and always max out hearts if not every other collectible ((not Korok Seeds because fuck that)))

Oddworld- Rescued everyone in every game.

Crash Bandicoot- 100%'ed the original PS1 games 1-3 and CTR.

Spyro- 100%'ed the original PS1 trilogy. I should probably play the remake!

Batman: Arkham series- Beat all the main storylines

Sonic- 1-3&Knuckles, nothing else counts

Mass Effect- Finished the main trilogy and most of the DLC stuff. Didn't touch Andromeda

Halo- Beat everything Bungie put out; pretty much stopped keeping up with the series after finishing 4

Metroid- Only one I never beat was the original on NES... but I did finish the remake so that counts right??

Pikmin- Finished 1-3 multiple times.

This was a fun little thing to think about; I think it would also be really interesting to know which series you're CLOSE to finishing all of. I've never finished Mario Bros. 1 or 2 (US or Japanese versions). I 100%'ed all of the Ratchet and Clank games up until the very last one because my PS3 stopped working. I fell off of most series after the second or towards the end of them... Dead Space, Uncharted, MGS (never played 5).

norm9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"This was a fun little thing to think about; I think it would also be really interesting to know which series you're CLOSE to finishing all of. I've never finished Mario Bros. 1 or 2 (US or Japanese versions). I 100%'ed all of the Ratchet and Clank games up until the very last one because my PS3 stopped working. I fell off of most series after the second or towards the end of them... Dead Space, Uncharted, MGS (never played 5)."

@pooch516: thinking it over, I'm close to beating the MGS series. I'm missing Peace Walker and in the second chapter( or whatever it's called) of Phantom Pain. I need to finally beat Bioshock 2 and I'll have cleared that series. And I lost momentum but I'm close to beating Mass Effect 3, beat the rest of em in a marathon session after checking out the GB mass effect playthrough.

One more, beat first three Uncharted games but don't have a ps4. Don't actually want to play 4 though as another poster mentioned that some games just feel "done" after a trilogy cycle. I don't want to ruin the good memories; even 3 was starting to wear out it's welcome for me.

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

Dark Souls

Metal Gear Solid

Uncharted

Batman: Arkham

Dragon Age

Darksiders

God of War

Max Payne

Dishonored

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By Tom_omb

@pooch516 said:

Legend of Zelda- Have played/beat all of them (and always max out hearts if not every other collectible ((not Korok Seeds because fuck that)))

Zelda is my favorite franchise in games, but I haven't even gotten 100% in every one. To me, getting all the Koroks was a more approachable goal than attempting to fight the final boss of Skyward Sword again. I lost motivation with the last bosses of Spirit Tracks and LttP too. Although I'm currently replaying the SNES game, so that may change soon. I haven't reached the end of either Oracle game yet.

Mass Effect, Fable, Uncharted, Rogue Squadron and Batman: Arkham are the only ones I can think of that I've beaten every entry for. I'm close with Mario, but I never completed the Galaxy games.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By wollywoo

Despite how many games I've played over my lifetime, I'm struggling to think of a single series where I've beaten all the entries (not counting series of only two games, like Half-Life, Portal) The closest is Zelda, but I've never beaten Zelda II and I'm not planning on it, and I skipped most of the portable games. And StarCraft, if StarCraft II counts for three games.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's see...

Batman Arkham - 100% on Asylum, City, Knight, with everything but all riddler trophies for Origins
Half Life - 1+Blue Shift and Opposing Force, 2 + both Episodes, and both Portal game for good measure
Telltale Walking Dead - All 4 seasons + the Michonne mini season
Dead Rising - 1-4 plus the 360 exclusive 2 prologue/epilogue DLC
Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Including Dark Forces 1
Penumbra/Amensia - Really every game Frictional has put out so far

I've got a lot of nearly complete/conditionally complete ones I can think of

Devil May Cry - Just missing 5, played 4 on release and just this year played through the HD collection, and yes I did beat 2...
Resident Evil - I've played all of the "modern" era of games, 4-7, along with 1, REmake, CVX, RE2 remake, and ORC
Halo - Played all the bungie games but haven't played 4 and 5

Those are the bigger ones that come to mind, I'm sure there are a lot more other ones that I'm forgetting. There are some that I would like to finish like MGS and Silent Hill, but just aren't practical being a PC only kind of guy these days.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Shindig
  • Dark Souls.
  • Bioshock
  • Mass Effect
  • God of War
  • Infamous
  • Championship Manager.
  • Sonic 1-3.

I'm not sure whether to count MGS. Peace Walker's the only one I haven't finished but it is canon. I'm close on the Arkham games but I cannot be bothered to finish up Knight. The only Yakuza I haven't finished is 1 and Silent Hill is missing The Room.

As for Pro Evolution Soccer, I skipped 2014 because I didn't like how the Fox Engine was handling things first time out.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The two series I'm closest to finishing would be Halo and Mass Effect. I've yet to finish Mass Effect: Andromeda, and haven't got around to Halo 5 at all.

Avatar image for electricbarrier
electricbarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By electricbarrier
  • Resident Evil, unless 0 counts as mainline.
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Bioshock
  • Silent Hill, even including Origins, Homecoming, and Downpour.
  • Megaman X, did it in the recently released collecton.
  • Megaman Zero, did it in the collection for DS.
  • Kingdom Hearts, thanks to the collections once again.
  • Mother/Earthbound.
  • Soul Blazer Trilogy(Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma)
  • Yomawari(there are only two games so far but I wanted to tell everyone about these games because they're really good little japanese indie horror games and you should play them)
  • Xenosaga

And that's about it, for as many games as I play I not only haven't gotten around to all mainline entries in series I really like, or spend a lot of time playing games that only spawned 1 or 2 games sadly.

@rahf: Efesell is right and you are wrong. Dragon Quarter is the best entry into the series, exactly because it's so different. It keeps the core concepts of a man who can turn into a dragon and flips everything else upside down. You might not have enjoyed it, it might not have been what you wanted, but it was a beautiful game that challenged your expectations. Think of it like this, each BoF game before it is essentially a self insert power fantasy, but this Ryu talks and can't even use his power too long before it kills him. You as the player need to be smart and only use it when it's necessary instead of just spamming it all the time. The mechanics fit the tone and story of the game, where living conditions and resources are low, and everyone's trapped in a damn underground dystopia where people have numbers for last names. The transformation isn't fun because your characters aren't having fun.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

The answer to this question SHOULD be Mass Effect... should be...

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Rahf

@electricbarrier: to each his own. I am not a fan of a game that can end your progress, and effectively prevent you from finishing it through one of its core game mechanics. "Being different" does not necessarily a good game make.

Of course I'm not wrong. It's an opinion, bud.

Pooch516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pooch516

@tom_omb said:
@pooch516 said:

Zelda is my favorite franchise in games, but I haven't even gotten 100% in every one. To me, getting all the Koroks was a more approachable goal than attempting to fight the final boss of Skyward Sword again. I lost motivation with the last bosses of Spirit Tracks and LttP too. Although I'm currently replaying the SNES game, so that may change soon. I haven't reached the end of either Oracle game yet.

I feel like Link's Awakening might be one of the easier ones to 100%. Not sure about the remake (apparently some stuff is unlocked through the new dungeon Builder section, which sounds more tedious than actually difficult) but the original was pretty good about being fair with hints and I don't remember any complete BS minigames like later ones in the series.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@pooch516: Yeah, I've always liked Link's Awakening more than A Link to the Past. I've 100%'ed the Game Boy Colour version multiple times. Granted, a huge part of that is because I played LA first. But they definitely learned some lessons from the Super Nintendo game. Enemies are super aggressive and some things are pretty obtuse. I would never have known I needed to use the Ether medallion to uncover hidden paths without looking it up. ALttP also has some BS minigames, like a digging game where you have to repeatedly play until you just randomly find the heart piece. Or a difficult shooting gallery that has no reward.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mass Effect (Yes, even Andromeda)

Dishonored

Far Cry

Half Life

Ghost Recon

Splinter Cell

Max Payne

Doom

I am sure I am forgetting some others.

Avatar image for electricbarrier
electricbarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rahf: Oh I know you're not actually wrong, trust me I don't think it's even possible to be fully objective with interactive or non-interactive mediums. I just agree with Efesell there, I think it's rad. The game's only like 10 hours long, and not understanding what you're doing and getting that game over can actually be a good thing. Saving party XP for if that happens let's you breeze through if you want, and the SOL system adds a bunch to the story. I say try it again if you only played it that one time, and see how you feel. I think it was ahead of it's time and is a lot like an indie game that would be made now.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Efesell  Online

@rahf said:

@electricbarrier: to each his own. I am not a fan of a game that can end your progress, and effectively prevent you from finishing it through one of its core game mechanics. "Being different" does not necessarily a good game make.

Of course I'm not wrong. It's an opinion, bud.

Well to be entirely clear it does not end your progress. That game is designed to be restarted several times and the dragon mechanic plays into that. If you are finding that you can't progress without wasting too much % then that means you are due for a reset in order to get stronger.

Now obviously you can find this mechanic to be bad, there are plenty of people who don't like it's refined form in Dead Rising either, but it WAS well thought out and in line with the rest of the games mechanics.