Show me your anger! SHOW ME YOUR RAAAAGE!

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

Edited By DocHaus

If you've played a fighting game online (or maybe any game, but I've personally noticed this only when playing fighting games), there's a good chance you run into a certain kind of people. The kind of people who send you a personal message after a match that didn't go in their favor because their "surefire" strategy was utterly useless when you saw it coming and did something super cheap and complicated like "blocking low and then counter-attacking" or "pressuring in a corner."

I'm not talking about mere rage-quitters, though I have come into my share of them. Like when I played a mirror T. Hawk match against someone in SSF4 and he pulled the plug just as I busted out a U1 that would have ended the match. Or that time when I fought a Hakumen player in BB:CT who had no other strategy than to simply use a standing 6C and hope for the best, then pulled the plug when I did something like jump over his attack and knock him down. I'm talking about the people who go that extra mile to tell you just how much they hate you. Who send you a personal message when the match is over expressing their disapproval of your actually learning to play the game when they bust out that one combo that always won against their friends but doesn't seem to affect you at all.

There's the simple "fuck u fagot" from some 12-year-old who probably should not be playing the game in the first place. Also, the incomprehensible "try playin me on PS3 o wait u cant", as if it was Microsoft's fault that they couldn't backdash to avoid a grapple move. Or even one who apparently thought that because he tacked "USMC" (US Marine Corps) on to his gamertag that his military experience held more weight than the fact that he played a bad Makoto in a SSF4 match. These folks project their utter inability to adapt and grow stronger on you. Doubly so when you beat them with a lower-tier character, like using Dragunov in Tekken 6.

When I play someone in a good or a close match, I give them a simple "gg" message to approve. When I get blown out of the fucking water in a fighting game, I get angry, but I don't take it out on them in a personal message. After all, even if I did, there's a good chance they would simply react as I would: chuckle at the stupidity of the message and then delete it before moving on with their lives. I use it as an impetus to do better, to learn a few more combos, or simply learn to block the somewhat predictable mix-ups and counter-attack when the timing is right.

I'm sure similar topics have been posted across GB, but here's the question I ask you fighting game fans: how do you deal with people who feel the need to project their losses on you? The RAGE and the hatemail? Do you send them a mocking message back? Do you simply say "gg"? Or do you just ignore it and move on to the next challenger?

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DocHaus

If you've played a fighting game online (or maybe any game, but I've personally noticed this only when playing fighting games), there's a good chance you run into a certain kind of people. The kind of people who send you a personal message after a match that didn't go in their favor because their "surefire" strategy was utterly useless when you saw it coming and did something super cheap and complicated like "blocking low and then counter-attacking" or "pressuring in a corner."

I'm not talking about mere rage-quitters, though I have come into my share of them. Like when I played a mirror T. Hawk match against someone in SSF4 and he pulled the plug just as I busted out a U1 that would have ended the match. Or that time when I fought a Hakumen player in BB:CT who had no other strategy than to simply use a standing 6C and hope for the best, then pulled the plug when I did something like jump over his attack and knock him down. I'm talking about the people who go that extra mile to tell you just how much they hate you. Who send you a personal message when the match is over expressing their disapproval of your actually learning to play the game when they bust out that one combo that always won against their friends but doesn't seem to affect you at all.

There's the simple "fuck u fagot" from some 12-year-old who probably should not be playing the game in the first place. Also, the incomprehensible "try playin me on PS3 o wait u cant", as if it was Microsoft's fault that they couldn't backdash to avoid a grapple move. Or even one who apparently thought that because he tacked "USMC" (US Marine Corps) on to his gamertag that his military experience held more weight than the fact that he played a bad Makoto in a SSF4 match. These folks project their utter inability to adapt and grow stronger on you. Doubly so when you beat them with a lower-tier character, like using Dragunov in Tekken 6.

When I play someone in a good or a close match, I give them a simple "gg" message to approve. When I get blown out of the fucking water in a fighting game, I get angry, but I don't take it out on them in a personal message. After all, even if I did, there's a good chance they would simply react as I would: chuckle at the stupidity of the message and then delete it before moving on with their lives. I use it as an impetus to do better, to learn a few more combos, or simply learn to block the somewhat predictable mix-ups and counter-attack when the timing is right.

I'm sure similar topics have been posted across GB, but here's the question I ask you fighting game fans: how do you deal with people who feel the need to project their losses on you? The RAGE and the hatemail? Do you send them a mocking message back? Do you simply say "gg"? Or do you just ignore it and move on to the next challenger?

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

HERE IT IS!!

litrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By litrock
@DocHaus: I always report the 'fuck u faggot' kids for their trouble. Not only does it feel like the only satisfying response, but if enough people do it the person will learn their lesson (probably the hard way when they get kicked from live). 

Further hilarity will ensue when they eventually post to the 360 boards (or any gaming forum) about how they'll sue microsoft for kicking them, despite their clear and repeated violations of the ToS.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By BraveToaster

I laugh, because their anguish sustains me. 

*Sinister Laugh*

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By cookiemonster

Well, maybe if you just let me win for once, I'll stop sending you messages, fagot.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
"  HERE IT IS!!
you seem annoy 

are you annoy ? 

why are you annoy.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let me tell you a bedtime story: 
Long ago, in Russia, these rage-quitters lived a small sea-side village. One day, army men took over the camp and tortured all the inhabitants, forcing them to play fighting games.  Every time they lost a round, they would be beaten and tortured.  This is the reason that these players have such rage flowing through their veins... 

Or, all Drebin impersonations aside, because they are insecure little fucks. 

allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By allprox

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose
@Ahmad_Metallic: My glasses are dirty and my tie is uncomftarble.
RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By RandomHero666

I dont play fisty cuff games, but I get my fair share of arseholes messaging me.
This one time.. some chick sent me about 7 abusive voice messages after i blew her brains out for killing my horse on Red Dead Redemption. 

I always reply to these people, either with a picture message or a thorough text message, then block them. That pisses them off.. not being able to reply

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I wish I was good enough to get hate mail.  All I get is stern victorious silence.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By TechHits

Oh you need to send them something back, otherwise how will they know how awesome you are?

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By sparklykiss

I've gotten my fair share of rage/hate mail over various games. I usually read them aloud to friends and come up with goofy retorts because I'm a grown up like that.

But I find it worse when you're playing a ranked match in a fighting game and you goof up and lose. And the winner is all "YO, DUDE, YOU FUCKING SUCK." :( Typically, though, if no message happens, I send a GG in hopes that someone will understand what I expect as a reply.
DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DocHaus

I wrote this thing 8 months ago. Good to know it still persists today, I guess?

(Hint: No, it's not good at all.)

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By JJWeatherman

I usually send people back a GG regardless of what they said. And then I hit the GG button on my Android phone.

I'm not joking, I seriously use that app quite often. Thank you again to its creator.