• 57 results
mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mrfizzy

Well I just bought a SNES off ebay, with original box and paperwork and all in really good condition. I was going to say it wasn't cheap but then again I don't have much to compare it to so yeah... Really don't know if this was a good idea or not. Anyway, games I have to have? I'll be buying Chrono Trigger from Japan at some stage but what others do I need in your opinions?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

earthbound, if you can.

Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Berezov

Donkey Kong Country, one of my favourite games of all time.

Avatar image for chickengeorgewashington
chickengeorgewashington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Well, that would really depend on what sort of genres you like. Also, I assume you're aware you will need to do a little "modding" (removing plastic tabs)  to your SNES if you intend to play Japanese games?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman

TMNT: Turtles In Time 

There are no better SNES games. 

(disclaimer: slight exaggeration may be present within this post)

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mrfizzy
@chickengeorgewashington said:
" Well, that would really depend on what sort of genres you like. Also, I assume you're aware you will need to do a little "modding" (removing plastic tabs)  to your SNES if you intend to play Japanese games? "
i have no choice, Chrono Trigger was never released here in Australia which means i can either get an NTSC copy or a Japanese PAL copy, neither of which i can play. Im getting it more in regards to just owning it and having it as a part of a future collection. If that makes any sense at all. lol 
drgrumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By drgrumbles

Actraiser, Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, Super Metroid, Earthbound.  Way too many good snes games to name but that's a few.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By benpack

Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG, Actraiser, Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby Super Star, Megaman 7 and X2, and Contra: The Alien Wars are all fantastic.

Avatar image for chickengeorgewashington
chickengeorgewashington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, I feel incredibly stupid now, ha ha ha ha. I wasn't aware you were in Australia. And believe me, I completely understand the desire to have something as part of a collection simply for collecting's sake, ha ha ha. Well then, are you interested mainly in popular well known titles, or obscure things of interest?

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By HitmanAgent47

you need contra alien wars.

Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Berezov

Oh and R-Type, don't forget R-Type.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mrfizzy

oh god, so many new names coming at me. i tried out a SNES emulator years back but all i can remember playing was Chrono Trigger, some of the Final Fantasies and Donkey Kong. 

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MistaSparkle

I really enjoyed EVO.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#14  Edited By BeachThunder

Some good suggestions so far. Have a look at this thread (there's a big list at the bottom of this page).

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire

Super Metroid, Yoshi's island, Super Castlevania IV, and Mega Man X.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mrfizzy
@BeachThunder said:
" Some good suggestions so far. Have a look at this thread (there's a big list at the bottom of this page). "
wow ok, thanks for that. no idea that topic existed. 
Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Pezen

Street Fighter II & Shadowrun

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By ch3burashka
@Berezov said:
" Donkey Kong Country, one of my favourite games of all time. "
All 3, of course. 

Killer Instinct is fun. Wait, scratch that, the Killer Cuts CD is fun. Just find a torrent of it and you should be good. 
Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Trilogy

Weird... I was just thinking about buying a snes online so I could play chrono trigger.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#20  Edited By TobyD81

All of these are great suggestions, and I'd like to throw in U.N. Squadron if you like shooters. A;so Legend of the Mystical Ninja.

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By eric_buck

Mario Kart is really fun on the SNES.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Daveyo520
@JJWeatherman: A  Link to the Past!~  ಠ_ಠ
Turtles in Time IS great though.

I bought a SNES at the Salvation Army (a great place to find old consoles BTW) a few months ago but I have yet to plug it in and even see if it works. I have no games for it you see.
Frederik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Frederik

FF6 best game ever... If you haven't played it, buy it!

Yozora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Yozora

Terranigma was my favourite RPG back in the SNES days.

wormz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By wormz
MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MayorFeedback

Don't skimp on the Donkey Kong Country sequels.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By crusader8463

Find one of those torrent files that have every SNES game ever in them and play them all. Then keep a list of the ones you really like and start hunting.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By DeF

get one of those import adapters. then you never have to worry about importing again.

you put a game from your region in the back and the import game in the front and plug the thing into the cart slot of the snes and switch it on. awesome invention!

as for a specific game: get Terranigma. and since you're from australia, you're in luck cause that got a PAL release (and no US release for some stupid reason)

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mrfizzy
@DeF said:
" get one of those import adapters. then you never have to worry about importing again.

you put a game from your region in the back and the import game in the front and plug the thing into the cart slot of the snes and switch it on. awesome invention!

as for a specific game: get Terranigma. and since you're from australia, you're in luck cause that got a PAL release (and no US release for some stupid reason) "
any idea where the heck i would be able to get one of those adapters and do they have an official name i can search ebay for? 
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Hizang

Tiny Toons Adventure is a gem of a platformer :)
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By beej

man chrono trigger was going to be my suggestion. So i'll repeat someone else's suggestion of Donkey Kong Country.

Zealousadonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Zealousadonis

Link to the Past

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By dagas
@mrfizzy said:
" @chickengeorgewashington said:
" Well, that would really depend on what sort of genres you like. Also, I assume you're aware you will need to do a little "modding" (removing plastic tabs)  to your SNES if you intend to play Japanese games? "
i have no choice, Chrono Trigger was never released here in Australia which means i can either get an NTSC copy or a Japanese PAL copy, neither of which i can play. Im getting it more in regards to just owning it and having it as a part of a future collection. If that makes any sense at all. lol  "
Japan does not use PAL, but rather J/NTSC. However since the shape of the cartridge is the only region-lock on SNES it doesn't matter. You can play Japanese games on a PAL system no problem. However I recommend importing the US version so you can play and understand it, you only need an adapter, I had one of those adapters back in the day and it worked fine. I paid €40 for a 100% mint condition copy of Japanese Chrono Trigger including shipping and other fees so the Japanese version is much cheaper than the US version, of course that was in 2003 or something like that so prices may have changed, but back then a US copy cost at least twice that and finding one in the perfect condition mine was in the US, well good luck with that since they aren't as delicate with their games as the Japanese :P
mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mrfizzy
@dagas said:
" @mrfizzy said:
" @chickengeorgewashington said:
i have no choice, Chrono Trigger was never released here in Australia which means i can either get an NTSC copy or a Japanese PAL copy, neither of which i can play. Im getting it more in regards to just owning it and having it as a part of a future collection. If that makes any sense at all. lol  "
Japan does not use PAL, but rather J/NTSC. However since the shape of the cartridge is the only region-lock on SNES it doesn't matter. You can play Japanese games on a PAL system no problem. However I recommend importing the US version so you can play and understand it, you only need an adapter, I had one of those adapters back in the day and it worked fine. I paid €40 for a 100% mint condition copy of Japanese Chrono Trigger including shipping and other fees so the Japanese version is much cheaper than the US version, of course that was in 2003 or something like that so prices may have changed, but back then a US copy cost at least twice that and finding one in the perfect condition mine was in the US, well good luck with that since they aren't as delicate with their games as the Japanese :P "
wow ok, i was sure that i had heard that Japanese games wouldn't play on a normal PAL SNES. Also i keep hearing about these adapters and i get how they work but iv had a look on ebay.com.au and its not showing anything. Might just have to keep looking around. 
Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By captain_clayman
@Laketown said:

" earthbound, if you can. "

no.  if he was hardcore enough to buy earthbound for like 100 bucks (at the cheapest)  he would already have a snes.
Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Tsoglani

I regret getting rid of my SNES; luckily, they are still relatively easy to get. 

Great machine, the SNES. Need a MegaDrive also...

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DeF
@mrfizzy said:

" @DeF said:

" get one of those import adapters. then you never have to worry about importing again.

as for a specific game: get Terranigma. and since you're from australia, you're in luck cause that got a PAL release (and no US release for some stupid reason) "
any idea where the heck i would be able to get one of those adapters and do they have an official name i can search ebay for?  "
a search for SNES Import on eBay should suffice. more specific searches might not turn up any good results since people probably don't name these accessories properly. the one I've been using for 16 years now (damn, I feel old now) is called "fire adapter".

the one at the bottom
 the one at the bottom
it's the one on the bottom

I was able to find three adapters on eBay (worldwide search). HERE is a fire adapter (like mine) from Germany (=PAL so that's suitable for your needs). HERE is the same one sold from Austria and a different one, again, from Germany.

If you need help translating the item description or contacting the seller about shipping to AU or something, just let me know :)

I'd recommend the one from Austria, since the seller offers worldwide shipping from the get-go and seems to have a shipping costs set to 10 EUR regardless of where he's shipping to.

again, if you need any help, just hollaaa :D
alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By alexl86

I was thinking about doing this once(except I wanted a NES), but ended up getting a Wii and a classic controller instead. Many NES and SNES games can be pretty expensive, and most of what you want is on virtual console anyway...

Rashermon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Rashermon

If you can find it, E.V.O, the game of natural selection where you ate your enemies to earn evolution points to go from a simple fish to a dragon shark thingie via evolution. 

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By audiosnag

Killer Instinct and F Zero are a must.
Super Mario World. Obviously.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheHBK

Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2, TMNT 4, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario RPG If you can find one... 

Disclaimer, Super Mario Kart is the real Mario Kart.  It is hard as hell when you get up to it, the Rainbow Road has no barriers and badass music.  Also, no rubber band AI, so you can lap folks and they can lap your ass.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By EVO

You shoulda just imported one from America. There's a way bigger market over there for the SNES and especially now that the dollar is roughly 1:1, you might've even saved money. 

Nevertheless, I got one in Japan some time ago. While I got some use out of it, a lot of the games I wanted to play like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI and Mother 2 are in Japanese and now sadly rest in a shoebox never to be played.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43  Edited By blackbird415
@GlenTennis said:

" Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG, Actraiser, Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby Super Star, Megaman 7 and X2, and Contra: The Alien Wars are all fantastic. "

That with the earthbound, chrono trigger, and a personal favorite zombies ate my neighbors and youll have an amazing snes collection
ooooohhhh and maybe mario kart, but only if you can find this stuff at a reasonable price. Don't feel bad if you cant find em' or they're at ridiculous prices because I know many of these are collectibles.

edit:

@bukkookkub said:
" Rock N Roll Racing :) "

OOOHHHHHH YES I got addicted to that game for a while
TerraDelu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TerraDelu
FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

Super Mario World, A Link to the Past, Sunset Riders, Contra III, Final Fantasy II & III, Super Metroid, Castlevania IV, Super Mario World 2, Super Mario RPG, Top Gear 2, Super Street Fighter 2, Lethal Enforcers, Phalanx, R-Type and a lot others.
Avatar image for deactivated-5bce12b22bc03
deactivated-5bce12b22bc03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yoshi's Island!

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47  Edited By FesteringNeon

Rock N Roll Racing :)

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By iam3green

i forgot to ask my counsin if she had the old SNES

anyway good times man playing that all the time. here is a great list of games to get
super mario brothers
super mario all stars- it had a bunch of mario games from NES. 1, 2, 3, lost worlds, you could also save the world that you were at. 
megaman X 
ninja turtles: ninjas in time
battle toads - never played it but it's a joke, people call up gamestop and ask for it. 
mario kart
super R type

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By nintendoeats

Super Metroid.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By yakov456

I'm sure most of these are repeats: Actraiser, Super Castlevania 4, Mario Kart. So many that don't come to mind right away, highly suggest Actraiser though.

@FiestaUnicorn said:

" Super Mario World, A Link to the Past, Sunset Riders, Contra III, Final Fantasy II & III, Super Metroid, Castlevania IV, Super Mario World 2, Super Mario RPG, Top Gear 2, Super Street Fighter 2, Lethal Enforcers, Phalanx, R-Type and a lot others. "

Good taste sir, all good choices.