• 52 results
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Aetheldod

So the rest of the eve content that the dudes are putting up is behind premium wall , well that is low I mean last year when I did had my subscription we went through a dry spell of content and know when I cant afford it now they do stuff .... that makes me sad and and angry , because more stuff is being put behind the premium wall .... ah forget it probably Im wrong to feel this way ;_;

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MiniPato

On the bright side, you got a week without Patrick. HEYOOOOOOOOOOO!

jk patrick

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Aetheldod

@minipato: But Patrick has been winning my heart little by little ... a week without is like no week at all ... er... I mean ... what? Yeah D:

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

The North Korea stream was premium as well and it makes sense that content that has pretty much nothing to do with video games would be premium.

Killercombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5  Edited By Killercombo

I agree: I am sure they spend a lot of time doing these types of streams not game related so they should be premium

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By monetarydread

Something has to be for subscribers. We get a live stream once a week and a handful of subscriber only videos. This just happens to be one of those videos.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aetheldod

@milkman: I know ... maybe Im more frustated by the fact I wont be able to watch it .

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

There are a load of audio interviews, a video interview, and that amazing compilation Drew put together. Really doesn't seem unreasonable to have some premium content out of it.

If you break it down, every single piece of premium content is chosen arbitrarily. The vast majority of the site's content is free.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By viking_funeral

$5 gets you a month subscription. Just sayin'.

I usually spent at least twice that on lunch.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viking_funeral: Right now 5 bucks means 2 days of food for me or no food at all .... -__-

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#11 gamer_152  Moderator

Unfortunately the staff have to skirt a fine line. If they put too little behind the pay wall, they're told that premium subscriptions don't give you enough for your money, while if they put too much behind it, the non-premium users feel upset that they're not being given a large enough portion of the content the site is producing. From my perspective I think they're doing a good job of walking that line, and looking back over the past couple of weeks I don't think there's been a particular content drought. I don't think you can ever be "wrong" for the emotions you feel involuntarily, but I wouldn't call it "low" of the staff to make that stuff subscriber-only by any means.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aetheldod

@gamer_152: I know duder ... :/ it just sucks that I am now on the flip side and I´ll be missing something cool .... I mean I really like what Pat and Drew did and I will be missing out ...

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Look on the bright side. Sooner or later you're going to have enough money for a subscription. When that happens, you'll have access to hundreds of hours of premium content that you missed out on when it was new, including the bonus Iceland video. You'll be entertained for weeks!!!

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Aetheldod

@mattyftm: Wish it was sooner though ^_^ ... but it that regard yeah you are right.

Ryzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember when paying a sub for a website was fun. Gamespot complete anyone?

You was able to stream HD movies, download at high speeds, change your colour of your forum name, change the theme of your website, get subscriber only videos, get access to exclusive forums, get access to certain game guides, access into betas and so much more.

What happened?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@ryzon said:

You was able to stream HD movies, download at high speeds, change your colour of your forum name, change the theme of your website, get subscriber only videos, get access to exclusive forums, get access to certain game guides, access into betas and so much more.

What happened?

The good things you listed are in the Giant Bomb premium membership, the not so great ones and the redundant ones aren't, I don't see the problem.

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think they put the majority of stuff from Iceland up for free, didn't they?

There were several dump trucks, video interviews, written articles and then the Iceland video (which was awesome). I think that's probably enough right?

All they have left is some clips that didn't make the cut. Most sites would just leave it at that and the left over footage would go in an archive somewhere, never to be seen. Instead the guys are polishing it up and releasing it as a small bonus for subscribers, which is cool. With the exception of the recently created friday livestream, that kind of behind the scenes video is typically subscriber content because most sites wouldn't surface that kind of footage anyways.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By alternate

It will likely be Iceland travelogue stuff and nothing EVE related. i.e. none core game coverage that is precisely what premium is meant to be for.

Also, you can't afford it? You can't afford $5? If you are strapped for cash and patient you could sub for one moth a year and download hours of premium content to enjoy for the other 11 months.

Avatar image for librorumprohibitorum
LibrorumProhibitorum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'm more worried that you only have $5 of food budget for every two days, honestly.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By wrighteous86

@aetheldod: I'll watch it and then give you my impressions. Try to tell the story as best I can from memory.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killercombo: Time zone is right, it just doesnt seem to be on yet...

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not trying to be a dick, but if your food budget is $2.50 a day (or ~$75 a month) and you can't afford to eat if you spend $5 on anything else, maybe gaming isn't the hobby for you.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@huey2k2 said:

Not trying to be a dick, but if your food budget is $2.50 a day (or ~$75 a month) and you can't afford to eat if you spend $5 on anything else, maybe gaming isn't the hobby for you.

Oh hai strawman!

If you can't afford to wax your car every month, perhaps owning a car isn't for you.

Dumb statement is dumb.

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@huey2k2 said:

Oh hai strawman!

If you can't afford to wax your car every month, perhaps owning a car isn't for you.

Dumb statement is dumb.

You compared owning a car, which for some people is an essential part of every day life, to playing video games, which is an essential part of nothing.

Obviously if someone can barely afford food they probably shouldn't be spending money on frivolous things like video games. If I was *that* poor I certainly would not be buying them.

Good job buddy.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26  Edited By JasonR86

Weird, I can see all the videos just fine.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@huey2k2 said:

@clonedzero said:

@huey2k2 said:

Oh hai strawman!

Dumb statement is dumb.

You compared owning a car, which for some people is an essential part of every day life, to playing video games, which is an essential part of nothing.

Obviously if someone can barely afford food they probably shouldn't be spending money on frivolous things like video games. If I was *that* poor I certainly would not be buying them.

Good job buddy.

I assume clonedzero's point was that even if Aetheldod's budget is tight right now, then A) he could still continue to play games he already owns for free, or play free indie games, and B) he could still read gaming news and watch most GB content which is also "free", as long as you're paying for internet access. So no reason to just give up video games forevs, just because he doesn't have a lot of money at the moment.

Though you guys should stop being so hostile about this. Relax.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Shave your legs, put on a little lipstick, borrow one of your moms dresses, and get out on the corner for a night. That should earn ya enough money to sub for at least a year or two. Three if you do the you know what.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#29  Edited By LordAndrew
@ryzon said:

What happened?

High speed downloads is a really dumb subscriber benefit. But I guess it looks cool if you're paying for it.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

No need to be upset. Just wait until enough premium content has built up and you're able to buy a month long subscription. You can watch all of it then.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By I_smell

A reel of footage they decided to not use in the public videos IS pretty inside-baseball.

If you're Vinny and you have to put something up as subscriber content: this is a pretty fair one to pick.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sucks when people are left out, but @gamer_152 is right. I know you know, but giving everyone access to the proper, edited experience of Iceland while the uncut, "deleted scenes" is reserved only for premium members was the best way to go.

I personally don't mind what's premium and what isn't because my monthly subscription is more of a "donation" for the guys to keep doing what they do (Mr. Moneybagz, here), but others want direct justification for the money they spend and that's fair.

Like others have said, the bright side is you can collect all these videos and watch them in a span of a month when you do have some spare cash.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Well you could get a month sub at some time and watch all of the stuff you missed.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Sometimes I am amazed at how much people pay for things they don't watch. I've never paid for cable, but my cable company (which is my ISP) has been trying to shove it down my throat by raising the price of my internet connect, and then offering bundle deals (TV + internet) that are very close to what I am paying for just internet. You know what? FUCK THEM. as far as my kids are concerned, Giantbomb IS TV. They've never even seen "regular" TV.

Not that I am suggesting OP has cable or anything, I actually assume he is not in the US and a sub may indeed be very difficult to come by. But I am not rich, and regularly make decisions about what my family can and cannot afford (and that responsabillty SUCKS), but $50 a year to send a message to CBSi that they should keep the lights on at Giantbomb? Priceless. (Although I assume Jeff knows that he could get that money for a bi weekly, one man podcast, but he likes to think bigger than that.)

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These complaining threads piss me off. At the end of the day, Giantbomb is a business, and it needs to create revenue. Yes, it isn't always pretty, but these dudes work hard and therefore they are allowed to feel their work should attract this revenue.

As Jeff mentioned in a Jar Time, he doesn't like talking about revenue, but he (and the site) NEED it to continue the great work they do, and (as he stated) grow the site creating greater, and more dynamic content for us to enjoy.

Just as @daveyo520 says, just pay a month and watch it, don't take to the forums complaining.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#37  Edited By DarthOrange

@jasonr86 said:

Weird, I can see all the videos just fine.

You are just the worst kind of person.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#38  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Think of it this way; Without subscriptions they probably wouldn't be able to make this content in the first place.

It's a really good video, too. You should subscribe.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Where even is the sub only Iceland stuff? I see nothing.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#40  Edited By Dagbiker

The Op isn't so much complaining as he is sharing his opinion, that the content is not as consistent, as it was.

But even a year ago we would get 2-3 quicklooks a week a show on thursday and (maybe) a premium show on friday.

now we get 2-3 quicklooks a week, a show on thursday, and definitely a show on friday.

So you arent losing content as a non-premium user. And it will still be there when you resub.

I get the impression that CBS is putting pressure on the crew to do more streams. Thats why their is more content now a days.

byrjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm conflicted. I would pay the membership even if there weren't premium videos - it's definitely not the dealbreaker for me. I just want to continue supporting these people creating stuff. Of course I can't talk about other people, but fundamentally, I think a site with such a sympathetic crowd of creators and community as this, it kind of hits a strange note to have this sort-of-a-bribe to make people pay for stuff. If anything, the FACT that they would be able to watch all this should inspire people to donate, rather than hold them off.

But then again, I'm no businessman, I have no idea, maybe more people actually pay if it's like this...

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aetheldod:

1. Get a job

2. Stop using emotes constantly, like a 12 year old girl

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#43  Edited By Humanity

Even though I'm a gold member I still think the whole idea of premium subscriptions is pretty awful.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$5

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I could gift you a $5 sub I would but they only allow yearly gift subs.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I think I'm more worried that you only have $5 of food budget for every two days, honestly.

If you buy dog food, you can stretch $5 pretty freaking far.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@humanity said:

Even though I'm a gold member I still think the whole idea of premium subscriptions is pretty awful.

The site needs to make money somehow.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ripelivejam

@humanity said:

rationale?

i just like giving the duders money (i did hold out for a long time, mostly cause of laziness and perceived excessive poorness)

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They took away the option to gift a member a subscription.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@ripelivejam: @hailinel: I realize the site needs to make money I just wish it could do so without putting content behind paywalls - it seems to restrict exposure at the cost of revenue.