So which, if any, of the two console-exclusive, GOW-acronymed prequels are you planning to pick up in March?

• 72 results
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Poll So which, if any, of the two console-exclusive, GOW-acronymed prequels are you planning to pick up in March? (277 votes)

I'll be getting Gears of War: Judgment. 5%
I'll be getting God of War: Ascension. 9%
I'll be getting both. 4%
I won't be getting either of 'em. 44%
I may get Gears of War: Judgment down the line; waiting on reviews/user impressions/price drop. 11%
I may get God of War: Ascension down the line; waiting on reviews/user impressions/price drop. 12%
I may get both down the line; waiting on reviews/user impressions/price drop. 6%
RESULTSSSSSSSSSSsssSSS 8%

So next month is bleedin' packed. Given that we've got both the new Tomb Raider and BioShock Infinite leading the charge of March, that's making the prospect of people buying either of the PS3/360's respective GOW acronymed exclusive prequels all the more unlikely.

Given the strange series of similarities between the two lesser enthusiastic releases, though, I figured I'd make a poll about them to see if anyone least around here is all too interested in at least one of 'em, let alone both. Between the two, I have to imagine that people are somewhat warmer overall towards Judgment. Which includes me! I am so pervasively excited for Judgment's release whereas Ascension definitely looks incredibly tired and unwelcome. I'm a fan of God of War, but they've pretty much stayed on the same page for five games now. Gears of War has always played rather similar across each new game, too but they still grow in some key areas and change things up, especially when it comes to the multiplayer.

And Judgment is no exception! With so many multiplayer alterations being made--some understandable, some less so--a campaign that's to be fitted with a L4D AI director derivative, and, for as much I know a lot of people around these parts dislike him (though he has his defenders!), a new prequel being lead by Baird and Cole adds another bullet point for me personally as to why I'm looking forward to Judgment.

Ascension's adding multiplayer, though, and... well, that's about it. And multiplayer isn't exactly what a lot of people were clamouring for in a new God of War game no doubt. Besides that the campaign is looking to be completely unnecessary in the grand scheme, too. It's (yet another) prequel, but one where Kratos is still the ghost of sparta, he's still using those fucking blades of his, and his family's still dead. I would have actually been rather excited if this game would star a story that would lead up to Kratos inevitably massacring his family and becoming the Kratos we all know. But as it is, it's all looking like a big blood-soaked case of deja-vue. I am curious to see how it turns out, though, and it's certainly on my ''maybe'' list where I'll probably get it down the line once it goes through a price cut.

They're both going to be well made games, though, there's very little doubt about that. But Judgment, for as unnecessary as it may appear, still thoroughly justifies its existence more so than Ascension does in any case. I'll be getting that sucker day 1 anywhoo, so feel free to add moi on XBLM! Gamertag is BrianMcIrish. It was initially DayLiam, but... well, passwords and secondary emails have been forgotten so besides for offline play, it's pretty much a dead account. Plus setting up a new profile gifts me with like a month's worth of Gold so, whoopee!..

• 
Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

i'll be picking up gears. i kinda love gears, plus im pretty good at it *pats self on back*.

i know they're changing a ton of shit in it, but i'm not mad, i dont really understand people who get super pissy that a sequel (or in this case a prequel) is changing stuff. if i wanted to keep playing gears 3 i'd be playing gears 3.

bioshock infinite is the game i'll be waiting for reviews to get. pure single player games like that i wanna know its good before investing in it, cus it doesnt have that "messing around in multiplayer" added value.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm in save all-money-mode. But if I could?, God of War.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

I think I'd rather buy three separate copies of Bioshock Infinite.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonedzero: I'm a little hesitant about BioShock Infinite, too. But that's purely because I'm much more cautious about how a console port is going to turn out. I was burned awfully hard by Far Cry 3's mess of a PS3 version... That's also the reason why I'm holding off on Tomb Raider, which otherwise looks pretty great imo.

And Gears! I love Gears, too! I'm not very good at the multiplayer, though, but that's admittedly because I played so damn little of it. That's also why I'm a little excited to dig into Judgment; it'll be the first Gears game I get at launch so I can hopefully jump in with a load of fellow new players. I'll be on a more even playing field, much more so than, say, jumping into Gears 3 competitive like a year in.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SaFt

If any, i'll probably get God of war. I feel kind of done with Gears at this point.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gears

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

I'm good at leaving the God of War series at III. Especially since my fill of that type of game is coming from DmC and MGR.

Gears at least has awesome TPS mechanics behind it, and I'm at least a little curious to see what People Can Fly does with it

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Judgement when it drops in price

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By pr1mus

I'm very unlikely to get either. I never cared at all for Gears of War and i sold my 360 last year so that take care of that.

I'm most likely done with God of War at this point. I have all the games except for Ghost of Sparta and will pick that one up if i ever need a God of War fix.

If i do go back to playing my PS3 regularly before the PS4 launches i'm more interested in picking Killzone 3 and InFamous 2 than another God of War prequel.

Still with a big enough price drop who knows. The chance is closer to none than slim but never say never.

rentacop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rentacop

Likely both.

God of War: Ascension is 100% yes. Love this series too much to miss the release of a sequel. The MP probably isn't for me but as long as the campaign is more than a few hours I'm happy.

Gears of War: Judgement will be purchased as long as the changes aren't shitty enough to turn my friends away. Gears 3 kind of killed my hype so I'll probably not be too butthurt from any further changes made since the first 2 games.

Zornack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Zornack

Never been a fan of Gears, thought God of War 1/2 were great and 3 was okay. If Ascension is good I'll pick it up.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

God of War because I'm a fan & I don't own a 360. Plus, I found Gears to be boring when I played it at someone else's house.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By awesomeusername
@rentacop said:

Love this series too much to miss the release of a sequel.

You mean prequel. ;)

@Pr1mus Go play inFAMOUS 2 now!

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Tired of both.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

I'll be picking up Garden of Wario.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By GunstarRed

Judgment. I'm cautiously optimistic about it.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GoW. I have no interest in Gears.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

never neither

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I thought God of War got kinda boring by the middle of the second game and I think Gears 3 really rounded that story out - as for gameplay I also had enough of that specific cover based wall bouncing to last me a while and am not really interested in the competitive multiplayer side of it.

I WILL be picking up Tomb Raider though.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

I'll get Gears since my brother and I like playing the co-op campaign. My brother may get God of War since he's a huge fan of the franchise.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty sure I'll get God of War as I know it'll be a decent fun romp and I really enjoy the genre. Not as convinced with Gears as I've grown tired of shooter campaigns and the Gears multiplayer never stuck with me as much as I wanted it to.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like God of War or Gears of War so I'll be avoiding both.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I have to play Judgment at some point. I have really liked every Gears game and even if this one has made some terrible multiplayer changes, I can't leave Baird hanging.

bmehlers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be getting God of War. I can't wait to see what crazy boss fights and set pieces they came up with. I also played the multiplayer beta and really enjoyed it, nice to play multiplayer that isn't shooting someone.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting to see the results. Most people don't really seem to care about these games.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Both eventually. God of War on day one though, I'm most excited for Tomb Raider during that month though.

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I may indeed pick up Gears of War, but ultimately I find I'm no longer invested in either of those franchises. Gears was one I enjoyed quite a bit, so there is the potential for me to go back to it.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#28  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

I won't be getting either one but it's possible I might rent God of War at some point.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legion_ said:

Interesting to see the results. Most people don't really seem to care about these games.

Most people on Giant Bomb don't seem to care for the Gears of War or God of War franchises in general I've noticed.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

both god of war first and then gears of war

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

God of War if i still have some cash left. I played the beta and enjoyed it way more than i thought i would. It feels like a good arena brawler and I kind of wish Sony Playstation All Stars was more like this.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Fredchuckdave

God of War, because fuck Gears of War. Also neither, I'll be busy.

Edit: Nice poll options, well done.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mellotronrules

yeah, i played gears 1-3, so i've had my fill. and i haven't played god of war since the ps2, but that has more to do with not owning a ps3. bayonetta and arkham asylum filled the action void for me, however.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I'll play Gears if my little brother gets it and he happens to leave the room.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Neither, but if I could get one it would be Gears.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting Ascension down the line, when the price drops. Loved both 1 and 2, but was slightly let down by 3, so I am a bit cautious about this new entry. Definitely getting Infinite on release though.

FearMyFlop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am going to get GoW because I am so tired of GoW.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BaneFireLord

Not interested in either game. Hell, I'm not interested in either genre.

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a little bit of the God of war online beta and it was actually alright. Still not going to get either one of them though unless they are super cheap.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Either of them because.....they don't look that great and I am kinda sick of Kratos, they should just create a new God of War, go to fuckin roman mythology or Norse, try something different guys. And I hate Baird enough to not get Gears

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They both look reaaaaally boring.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Neither, because I need to be able to pay rent next month and I have very little affinity for either franchise except that I played through Gears 1 once like 4 years ago and I thought it was pretty fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither. But at this point I'd rather play a God of War than a Gears of War.

Again, though. Neither.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a pretty big fan of the God of War series, the first game being one of my favorite games of all time. That being said, I haven't actually played any of the games past God of War 2 so I will probably buy Ascension once I catch up on the series.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#45  Edited By MEATBALL

Both. If I had to choose one it'd be God of War because it's only the second time a game in the series has been developed for the PS3. I think both will be great games.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both games would take a back seat to Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider for me. That said I'm kinda interested in how Ascension rates. I know not a lot of people asked for a multiplayer God of War, but sometimes the best things are things we didn't think we wanted. It could be really cool, and if it works would be a really unique experience on consoles at least. Judgement seems like more of the same, but thats ok because Gears usually delivers.

fokma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use to be a huge fan of both game series, for some reason though I'm feeling a lot of franchise fatigue on any game series that has gone beyond 3. It has to be psychological though cause I loved aC up until 3, I was bummed that they announced another Mass Effect even though I loved 3, and now with the GoWs I'm just feeling completely empty about them. I wouldn't have even given a second thought of them if another one wasn't coming out.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48  Edited By shivermetimbers

Neither of them. I have disinterest in anything related to Gears of War and God of War (I once did have interest in both). I'm actually surprised that the 'neither of 'em' option is winning, though.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll probably pick up both but maybe not together in March since Bioshock Infinite will be around that time too.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only have a 360. So Gears by default if the reviews are decent. Bioshock Infinite is really the only other March release that I'm interested in. Also, Metro: Last Light if it keeps the "March 2013" date.