Sound effects across different games!

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Pie

I've been playing the HD re-release of Chaos theory and I noticed that a computer idling noise in it (more specifically in the "displace" mission) was the same noise made by the weapon shop computers in the other Ubisoft release Far Cry 2. Can you think of any other examples of this kinda thing happening?

Yamoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Yamoto

yes the developer Cauldron uses the same reloading animation and gun sound effects on all their new games 

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By crusader8463

As someone who has played City of Heroes since the day it came out, I have a pretty good ear when it comes to hearing the SFX that the game uses. So when I was in the Champions Online beta, you can bet I was surprised to hear a lot of it being copied. I mean A LOT of them. The game was complete crap so I can't comment on if it was just a place holder beta thing, or if it carried over into launch, but Champions had a metric crap ton of sound directly from City of Heroes.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By BeachThunder

I think DNF uses some Borderlands gun sounds, I'm not 100% sure which ones though.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

The sound of horse galloping in Tear Ring saga was ripped from Fire Emblem. That shouldn't be very surprising, though.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By JTB123

The locked door noise from Alan Wake is the same as in Max Payne.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By jewunit

Nintendo was fond of reusing sound effects in its older games.  The crowd fanfare from Pro Wrestling and Punch-Out!! is the same.  Also, the springs in Donkey Kong and the skulls in Popeye make the same "bwuh-bump" sound when they hop. 

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

There are literally hundreds of games that share sound effects. Lots of them share them with movies as well (the bullet-hitting-metal sound from Source engine games can be heard in countless other games and movies).

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Pie
@Rolyatkcinmai said:

There are literally hundreds of games that share sound effects. Lots of them share them with movies as well (the bullet-hitting-metal sound from Source engine games can be heard in countless other games and movies).

Really? I always thought that noise was unusual and sounded unique but maybe it stood out to me because I recognised it, just didn't know though
Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Devoid

I swear there's one noise for static, and it's the same in every single game.

Also, there's that Japanese cricket noise that I hear everywhere, but that's more other media than games.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Pie said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Really? I always thought that noise was unusual and sounded unique but maybe it stood out to me because I recognised it, just didn't know though

Yeah. There's a traffic noise where a truck driver honks his horn twice, the second time as he drives by the camera, which I have spotted at least twenty times in my life across TV shows, movies, and games.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jewunit
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By eroticfishcake

Puzzle Quest takes a lot of sound effects and item icons from the Warlords Battlecry series. Which is interesting considering how I can't find any connection between those two developers and I'm pretty sure they aren't stock sound effects.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Spoonman671

Every Source engine game ever?

nazer858

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nazer858

@jewunit said:

Video games are the new home for movie stock sound effects. The Wilhelm Scream has gotten some mileage more recently in games. The same can be said of the Howie Scream. I personally wish more games used the Goofy Holler when characters fall into bottomless pits. I imagine it would break the sense of immersion though.

Yup, plenty of games now are using sounds from more common libraries, but just as many games if not more are using custom sound effects from scratch. Sound design can really help to set any piece of entertainment apart from the rest, but to the OPs post, yes, many games share SFX.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16  Edited By Yanngc33
Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Levius

Thanks to the Game Room Quick Looks I know that most Intelivision sports games shared the same crowd whistling/ cheering sound

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By Sooperspy
@Spoonman671 said:
Every Source engine game ever?
Yes. That's what I was going to say. 
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#19  Edited By BeachThunder
@nazer858 said:

@jewunit said:

Video games are the new home for movie stock sound effects. The Wilhelm Scream has gotten some mileage more recently in games. The same can be said of the Howie Scream. I personally wish more games used the Goofy Holler when characters fall into bottomless pits. I imagine it would break the sense of immersion though.

Yup, plenty of games now are using sounds from more common libraries, but just as many games if not more are using custom sound effects from scratch. Sound design can really help to set any piece of entertainment apart from the rest, but to the OPs post, yes, many games share SFX.

I feel the need to post this video:
George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By George_Hukas

@Pie:

This has been a very overused clip over the years. Most recently used in LA Noire.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#21  Edited By D_W

It's very rare that a team has the time, money, and equipment to create and record their own sounds so it's very common that for companies to licenses sounds from various sound libraries. It's really unofruntate because a lot of games, movies, etc have pretty terrible audio directions. I swear every time I hear a Wilhelm scream I cringe due to the shear laziness of the Sound Director.

@BeachThunder:

That's was an awesome video!

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@IntramanDW said:

I swear every time I hear a Wilhelm scream I cringe due to the shear laziness of the Sound Director.

That's different because a lot of sound editors insert Wilhelm screams as a joke.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#23  Edited By D_W

@President_Barackbar:

But that's about as clever and funny as making a "Cake is a lie" joke. It's just damn lazy.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iam3green

a lot of gun sounds are the same in different games. it's just something that everyone uses.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By medacris

I can excuse the Wilhelm Scream because sometimes a death cry is the only dialogue a nameless thug gets, and it's not worth hiring another voice actor for something like that.

Source games, definitely. The boot noises and ammo pickup from Half-Life 2 are in Team Fortress 2, as well.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AuthenticM

In Duke Nukem 3D, the sound made by the vertically-opening doors is in a couple of other games I have played.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Those Source noises for when you try and click on shit that can't be used are dope.