That's it! No more buying video games!

Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Teaspoon83

Now, I am not going to rant about prices or my hatred for publishers and my mission to pirate everything. Nope, I'm going to stop buying video games. Why? My video game library is too big. Okay, maybe not that huge but I need to end it. I'm stating this right now as my mission because I have games that sit on my shelf that I never completed. When I was a kid, my parents would purchase very few games. I could expect one for my birthday, another for Christmas and maybe one or two here or there depending on how I performed in school so I never had many titles. Instead, if anything came out that I was interested in, I would camp the local Blockbuster down the street and try to snag the latest title from anybody else on weekends. This also meant long gaming marathons which I love and miss. Imagine grabbing Super Mario RPG and playing every living moment during the weekend to beat it. Yup, I should have purchased that game but when I beat the game in under 3 days, talk about a bargain price. 

Okay, going off topic but the games that I owned were the games that I dedicated the most time to and I could say I beat them. I'll generate a list but they were the games you were proud to have. As I grew up, I was introduced to PC gaming and never got into the Playstation/Dreamcast era of consoles. I did play Final Fantasy 7 on the PC, a decent port but it was things like Quake and Unreal that had my attention. That and Blizzard Entertainments Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo series. Although I believe this is where things started to go bad for me. 

Cast your stones at me now. I never finished Deus Ex. I knew it was a great game and I actually enjoyed it but for some reason I lost interest in it and moved on. I did finish other games like Mechwarrior 4 but as I got older, my disposable income grew and I got pretty bad about buying games that I was interested in and were considered awesome additions by the gaming sites and I now have my pile of shame. What is worse and I'm sure everybody agrees? Steam weekend sales, especially the holiday sale. I would also take part in grabbing games used if I happened to miss them.  

A general idea of games that I need to finish first before I move on is Metal Gear Solid 3, I picked Metal Gear Solid VR missions for a buck, Splinter Cell for a buck, couple of XBLA titles and last, the horrible RPGS. But wait, Teaspoon... didn't you say you bought games that generally are considered good? Yup, I did. I have Morrowind, Oblivion with the expansions and Fallout 3, not one of the DLC packs but I'm loving the game that I'm sure I'm going to get them. So really, I'm screwed out of getting into a lot of the latest titles for quit some time.

With everything that is coming out this year, especially those that just came out, it is heartbreaking that I can't run out to grab it. The last two that I really would like to grab is Mass Effect 2 and Bad Company 2. I'm tempted to but it is for the best that I wait. That being said, I am enjoying the games I stopped playing for who knows what reason. I can only hope that PC games of yore will still work with Windows 7. Guess there is always DOSbox. Oh and let me finish with this, stay away from thrift stores! Although they may not have much when it comes to great games, there are those few moments where you actually find something that is actually good for the price of $1-$3 dollars. 

So I ask you guys, do you have any experiences you want to share about games you never finished? I'll update this on my blog from time to time if anybody ever feels like seeing my progress. If you catch me on Live, throw me a message. You'll find all the details on my profile or you can visit my blog at www.teaspoon83.com 

My Pile of Shame:
http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/teaspoon83/pile-of-shame-games-that-i-need-to-complete/46-26223/

Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Teaspoon83

Now, I am not going to rant about prices or my hatred for publishers and my mission to pirate everything. Nope, I'm going to stop buying video games. Why? My video game library is too big. Okay, maybe not that huge but I need to end it. I'm stating this right now as my mission because I have games that sit on my shelf that I never completed. When I was a kid, my parents would purchase very few games. I could expect one for my birthday, another for Christmas and maybe one or two here or there depending on how I performed in school so I never had many titles. Instead, if anything came out that I was interested in, I would camp the local Blockbuster down the street and try to snag the latest title from anybody else on weekends. This also meant long gaming marathons which I love and miss. Imagine grabbing Super Mario RPG and playing every living moment during the weekend to beat it. Yup, I should have purchased that game but when I beat the game in under 3 days, talk about a bargain price. 

Okay, going off topic but the games that I owned were the games that I dedicated the most time to and I could say I beat them. I'll generate a list but they were the games you were proud to have. As I grew up, I was introduced to PC gaming and never got into the Playstation/Dreamcast era of consoles. I did play Final Fantasy 7 on the PC, a decent port but it was things like Quake and Unreal that had my attention. That and Blizzard Entertainments Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo series. Although I believe this is where things started to go bad for me. 

Cast your stones at me now. I never finished Deus Ex. I knew it was a great game and I actually enjoyed it but for some reason I lost interest in it and moved on. I did finish other games like Mechwarrior 4 but as I got older, my disposable income grew and I got pretty bad about buying games that I was interested in and were considered awesome additions by the gaming sites and I now have my pile of shame. What is worse and I'm sure everybody agrees? Steam weekend sales, especially the holiday sale. I would also take part in grabbing games used if I happened to miss them.  

A general idea of games that I need to finish first before I move on is Metal Gear Solid 3, I picked Metal Gear Solid VR missions for a buck, Splinter Cell for a buck, couple of XBLA titles and last, the horrible RPGS. But wait, Teaspoon... didn't you say you bought games that generally are considered good? Yup, I did. I have Morrowind, Oblivion with the expansions and Fallout 3, not one of the DLC packs but I'm loving the game that I'm sure I'm going to get them. So really, I'm screwed out of getting into a lot of the latest titles for quit some time.

With everything that is coming out this year, especially those that just came out, it is heartbreaking that I can't run out to grab it. The last two that I really would like to grab is Mass Effect 2 and Bad Company 2. I'm tempted to but it is for the best that I wait. That being said, I am enjoying the games I stopped playing for who knows what reason. I can only hope that PC games of yore will still work with Windows 7. Guess there is always DOSbox. Oh and let me finish with this, stay away from thrift stores! Although they may not have much when it comes to great games, there are those few moments where you actually find something that is actually good for the price of $1-$3 dollars. 

So I ask you guys, do you have any experiences you want to share about games you never finished? I'll update this on my blog from time to time if anybody ever feels like seeing my progress. If you catch me on Live, throw me a message. You'll find all the details on my profile or you can visit my blog at www.teaspoon83.com 

My Pile of Shame:
http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/teaspoon83/pile-of-shame-games-that-i-need-to-complete/46-26223/

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Venatio

Sorry for sounding stupid here but can I get a quick summary of this?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By EpicSteve

Word, son

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Binman88
@Teaspoon83 said:
"Cast your stones at me now. I never finished Deus Ex."
*starts casting stones*

I tend to agree with most of what you said. I buy too many games on impulse, but never really get around to playing them all (I will eventually). I'd never stop buying them though; I can always make time for a new game :)
Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Jayzilla

I just rent now. I can finish most games within a rental period now. It seems to me that there were more titles a few years ago that would last a really long time, or I wanted to play them for a really long time. I finished DragonAge and ME2 in a week. I can't imagine paying $60 for either of those. I buy my multi-player games though.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Venatio said:

" Sorry for sounding stupid here but can I get a quick summary of this? "

He's going to stop buying games because he's got too many games he hasn't even finished. i.e Deus Ex.

*casts some more stones*
Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Teaspoon83
@Venatio: I have too many games I bought in the past, going to finish what I bought before I buy anything else.
RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By RankRabbit

Yeah, I've got games I need to finish. I'm not one to really go out and buy every game when it is brand new, I usually wait for the price to drop with a lot of games or wait for special sales. To name a few on my backlog of games to play are Dead Space, Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, Resident Evil 5,  Scribblenauts, Motorstorm, and I know there's a few more. Right now I'm getting around to playing the first Battlefield: Bad Company and I've been playing Fallout 3 with all the DLC for more than a year now. So I have too many systems, meaning all of them, and enough games to entertain me for months to come. I still plan on getting Bad Company 2 soon and Just Cause 2 the day it comes out.

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Kiemoe

Since I'm starting to make money again, I'm sure that I'll have a lot of games I'll never finish, but I didn't have a job for a few months and was just going to school, I had plenty of time to finish playing my back catalog.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Venatio
@Teaspoon83 said:
" @Venatio: I have too many games I bought in the past, going to finish what I bought before I buy anything else. "
Okay, you scared me with the thread title, thought you would never buy a game ever
Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Brunchies

I'm having the same problem as you right now, I bought way to many games at the steam sale and it seems like I'll never finish them all. I also still have to beat somewhere around 10 to 12 games. 

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By frankfartmouth

I definitely agree that we tend to glut ourselves on games these days. I liked your reminiscence about Super Mario RPG; that is how it used to be. You would play the shit out of anything you bought. 

I've been trying not to hop around so much lately. Some games that I've dropped for one or reason or another that I'd like to pick up again: Castlevania: Lament of Innocence, Arkham Asylum, Final Fantasy XII, R-type Final, Dead Rising, and now that you mention it, Deus Ex, I never finished that one either. All great games that I was enjoying and either had something come along and break my stride or another game stole my attention. 

I'm sure the list could go on and on, but there's a few of them.

Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Teaspoon83
@frankfartmouth: Aha, I have a brother to stand in front of me while they cast the stones! 

Yeah, I don't know why I didn't finished Deus Ex. It was a fun game and I did enjoy the conversation trees and the ability to mod yourself... maybe I'll load that up soon.
Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Teaspoon83

Oh god... no. I just realized looking through my games so I can create my list. I bought Persona 4 off Amazon when Giant Bomb was playing it for the Endurance Run. Damn it, I'm horribly screwed. XD Does watching the Endurance Run count as beating the game?

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Binman88
@Teaspoon83:  For Persona 4 I'd say yes. I played a little over half of the game before deciding to just watch the rest of the endurance run. Never felt like going back to the game because I felt I'd somewhat finished it.
Sabin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sabin

I have the same issue.  I continue to buy games but I fully agree with what you're saying.  I have games on my shelf that I've had for years that are still in the shrink wrap.  I have been trying to make a concerted effort to tackle these games but with all the new games to start off the year it has been difficult. 

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#17  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

There are some games that I have just never finished but every game I've ever bought I've played for at least a fair amount of time. I'm sure if I had the cash I'd be buying games right, left and center but the steady pace at which I've acquired games through the years I've been gaming so far has meant that I haven't often had more games than time for them.

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bombs_Away

Yeah I always have a big back log of games. Right now Ive got Dead Space, the Orange Box, Gears 2, Hitman Blood Money, Condemned 2 and Deus Ex to play and finish. Ive got 2 weeks till all my exams are done and then its gonna be a huge gaming marathon for me!

Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Teaspoon83

Yup, screwed. I never finished Baldur's Gate II and I'm up to 20 games on my list.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Ace829

I share your pain. I still have a good 15 games I haven't beaten and I don't have much time to play them. I'm just buying FFXIII and then just not touching anymore video games until maybe Halo: Reach. Damn you 2010! Why must you come out with so many good games!?

Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Teaspoon83

And yup, thought I was done and then realized I took advantage of Direct2Drives 5 year anniversary sale... 

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By TheHBK

damn, i have been going through the exact same thing.  I have so many games on the shelf, many that I feel I could get more out of, and they are are just there.  And it is this that makes me not want to buy games.  I think I would have run out to get BC2 by now, or ME2, or the God of War Collection, but nope, I just dont feel it right now.  Halo Reach is the only one because I know I will play that with my friends a lot.  Maybe Ghost Recon 4 for the same reason, friends insure replay value.

Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Teaspoon83
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Brians
@Teaspoon83: Not to brag but I beat Deus Ex...:) however I bought and tried to play Deus Ex 2 which I would heartily recommend not doing. As the story sucks in it, it's a lot harder, and it's not an rpg, also because the story and game play I paid attention to the graphics sucking a lot more.
zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zityz

Work at them a few a ta time. and for some of those games, its perfectly fine if you never beaten them.  
Also, don't feel bad. You've never finished Dues Ex... I've never PLAYED Dues Ex, and I never have any intention on it either so.
Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Teaspoon83
@zityz:  Why would you not want to play Deus Ex? I think a lot of people would call it a great game in its time. I'll see if it still holds up. XD
Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#27  Edited By Jazz

Wow talk about a Deus Ex resurgence..was it on sale or something recently?  
I played and finished that when it first came out..and it is as good as most claim.
I'm just playing Valkyria Chronicles 1&2 and borderlands at the moment, but i do have Dragon Age to finish. Unfortunately i don't have the space on my ps3 (40gb) to keep games on there for long if i get new ones. I only tend to buy games once they're below £20 or about, so i'm usually a good 6 months behind everyone apart from the Japanese stuff i get. 
I have a ton of games i never finished cause they were either god awful (dead space) much of a muchness (Prince of Persia Nolan North Edition) or just boring (Fallout 3) and were under £10 when i got them. I would trade them in, but Spanish retailers don't take UK games due to barcode discrepancies..sigh.

Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Teaspoon83
@Jazz: Have you put in some time with Fallout 3? I initially didn't get into it when I bought it but with the constant talk on the Bombcast and Fallout New Vegas in the works, I tried it again.  Put in some time and it opens up to be quite engaging. Janky at moments but funny as hell too.
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Brians

Nope

Also take my advice
Avoid Deus Ex 2

Such a disappointment

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#30  Edited By Jazz
@Teaspoon83:  
Yeah, I put in about 10 hours..but it really wasn't my thing. I loved fallout 1 and 2 at their respective times, but fallout 3 left me cold. I disliked Oblivion as well, so it kind of makes sense. I really don't like 'open world' type games. I have no problems with linearity.  I'm more about storyline than anything else, and Bethesda's method of storytelling is very flawed IMO. 

My best friend however wouldn't shut up about fallout 3 and cow tipping for months. 
and Deus Ex 2 indeed left a lot to be desired...though it followed the same route as Mass Effect 2 by tearing out tons of the RPG elements and upping the FPS/Adventure aspect.
Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Teaspoon83

Understand, if you think Oblivion or Fallout are terrible with the open world, atleast they have the bread crumbs to help you get around. Morrowind... that game dumps you in a town after you create a character and you go from there with little direction.  

I'll finish Fallout 3 first because it has caught my attention and go from there I think. Sigh, anybody wanna estimate how long it will take to finish my list? 

Fur1ousApollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By Fur1ousApollo

I've done some similar stuff, bought too many games and then left them uncompleted. 

However I just became more disciplined. Now I buy what I will play and the games that stay uncompleted are ones that I REALLY couldn't get into. It's rare these days I don't finish a game.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By iam3green

i have a pile of shame also. i buy games but never finish them. i am thinking about getting heavy rain because i borrowed it from a friend. i have stopped from buying a crapload of games. i need to start playing them.  a lot of my xbox 360 collection i need to still restart because of the hard drive breaking a year ago or around that time.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By hockeymask27

Wow, your opening on waiting in front of the video store brought back allot of memories. Also your whole blog in general mirrored most of my feeling as of late. How as a kid I could enjoy 8 games over the lifespan of the n64. However now after a month i`m bored of a game and want a new one. I have become spoiled, before i got maybe 2 games a year if I was lucky.

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Joshakazam

that was an interesting read, i hope to hear when you start buying video games again

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By shirogane

Pretty much 90% of the games i own i did not complete. I have a commitment problem. I've never finished a single Final Fantasy game, although i've played most of them. Yes, not a SINGLE one. Except Dirge of Cerberus, but that doesn't count right? 

I didn't finish Deus Ex either, got quite far though. And i can tell you, it doesn't really hold up that well...Makes me kinda sad, cause it means i can't really go back and play it again and finally finish it. 

Also, i notice your list has a lot of games which, i would consider, are impossible to complete. Unless you mean doing everything you possibly can, which i consider absolutely insane.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By oldschool
@Binman88 said:
" @Teaspoon83 said:
"Cast your stones at me now. I never finished Deus Ex."
*starts casting stones* "
I never even bought it.
jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#38  Edited By jacksukeru

Definetly recognized this, I can't stop buying games though. I spend way to much time on forums during my free time to actually get much gaming done. 

Uncharted 2: Among Theives ( I should really get on this)
FFXIII (Once I'm done with FF12? Maybe..)
Folklore (Just bought used, remember the demo was pretty good)
Phoenix Wright 3 (want to finish before starting M.E)
Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations
Pokemon: HeartGold version (8 gyms down, Elite Four + 8 gyms left)
Brutal Legend (Not that long, so probably 80% through it, first on my to-do list)
Resonance of Fate (Oh boy, another RPG, sigh, gonna be on here forever)
Mario&Luigi: Bowsers inside story (In the middle somewhere, getting back to it sometime before the end of time prob)
Final Fantsay 12 (In the middle? I dunno, grinding's been fun.)
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis core (might give up on this one sooner or later) 

Also been some games that I've flat out given up on, like DQ8 and Valkyire Profile 2.