• 111 results
MichaelCarusi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Edited By MichaelCarusi

Let's face it: We can't stop playing certain games.  Whether it's addictive combat, tons of replay value invested in second or third playthroughs, or just a huge appreciation for the game in question, we all have those games that we've logged countless hours into the single player alone. 

It's easy to play eighty million StarCraft matches or spend several nights on Halo: Reach binges, but there's something to be said about reaching triple digits on single player.  It means that without online match lobbies or extensive replay to be found in online tournaments, something drove us to put over 100 hours into a single-player story.  Hell, maybe you just spent 90 hours obsessively hunting for achievements.  Either way, it's a huge accomplishment that signifies what a game means to you.

So here is my venerable list of these triple digit titles.  Maybe at some point down the line I'll make a multiplayer, although that still feels a lot easier. 

Tales of Vesperia- This is easily one of the best RPGs I've played in a long time.  The story will run you a very respectable 40-50 hours, but with New Game+ there are a lot of great reasons to replay it.  At the end of the game you can spend a form of currency, GRADE, to acquire New Game+ upgrades like 2X normal experience, 10X normal experience, unlocking additional content, or even unlocking a new difficulty level.  After logging 60 hours into New Game+, I broke the 100-hour mark and actually got an achievement called "Too Much Free Time".  I'm not arguing!

Mass Effect 2 - I haven't clocked in my official time, but after three playthroughs and three No One Left Behind achievements, it's safe to guarantee that I've spent 100 hours on this one.  Mass Effect 2 is another favorite of mine, partly because New Game+, the combat, and deep character quests keep me coming back for more.  I've already written extensively on what a Mass Effect 2 fanboy I am so I won't go too much into it.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - To me San Andreas really brought out how much fun a true open sandbox could be.  Beyond a simple city, having open terrain and big mountains lent a whole new layer of fun to the experience.  I would postpone missions for hours at a time in favor of enjoying the jet pack, ramping my bike off of mountains, parachuting from planes, racking up wanted levels, and just having a ton of fun.  Between that and completing every mission in the game, hitting 100 hours was no problem.

Fallout 3 - The amount of content in Fallout 3 by itself is huge, and I'm fortunate enough to have all of the expansion packs.  The massive laundry list of quests and exploration opportunities made it impossible to put this one down even on one playthrough, and The Pitt and Point Lookout added even more chunks of territory to explore.  If New Vegas is as addictive as this, I'm in trouble.

Chrono Trigger - This one almost feels like cheating since I've played it at least seven times over the course of about ten years, eight including my review of the DS version.  It may be predictable as a favorite and well-played game but there's just a lot to love about Chrono Trigger, and to date it's one of those games that's fun to play just another time.

Honorable mentions go games where I didn't quite make triple digits, but still logged around seventy plus hours: Final Fantasy VI and VII, Dragon Quest VIII, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and Persona 3 (currently playing this one). 

It's interesting looking back on the games you've actually managed to log four days' worth of time into and see what they mean to you.  I've been playing video games since the age of three, so these really represent what I've wanted to devote my time and energy to the most.  What's your hall of fame?
MichaelCarusi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MichaelCarusi

Let's face it: We can't stop playing certain games.  Whether it's addictive combat, tons of replay value invested in second or third playthroughs, or just a huge appreciation for the game in question, we all have those games that we've logged countless hours into the single player alone. 

It's easy to play eighty million StarCraft matches or spend several nights on Halo: Reach binges, but there's something to be said about reaching triple digits on single player.  It means that without online match lobbies or extensive replay to be found in online tournaments, something drove us to put over 100 hours into a single-player story.  Hell, maybe you just spent 90 hours obsessively hunting for achievements.  Either way, it's a huge accomplishment that signifies what a game means to you.

So here is my venerable list of these triple digit titles.  Maybe at some point down the line I'll make a multiplayer, although that still feels a lot easier. 

Tales of Vesperia- This is easily one of the best RPGs I've played in a long time.  The story will run you a very respectable 40-50 hours, but with New Game+ there are a lot of great reasons to replay it.  At the end of the game you can spend a form of currency, GRADE, to acquire New Game+ upgrades like 2X normal experience, 10X normal experience, unlocking additional content, or even unlocking a new difficulty level.  After logging 60 hours into New Game+, I broke the 100-hour mark and actually got an achievement called "Too Much Free Time".  I'm not arguing!

Mass Effect 2 - I haven't clocked in my official time, but after three playthroughs and three No One Left Behind achievements, it's safe to guarantee that I've spent 100 hours on this one.  Mass Effect 2 is another favorite of mine, partly because New Game+, the combat, and deep character quests keep me coming back for more.  I've already written extensively on what a Mass Effect 2 fanboy I am so I won't go too much into it.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - To me San Andreas really brought out how much fun a true open sandbox could be.  Beyond a simple city, having open terrain and big mountains lent a whole new layer of fun to the experience.  I would postpone missions for hours at a time in favor of enjoying the jet pack, ramping my bike off of mountains, parachuting from planes, racking up wanted levels, and just having a ton of fun.  Between that and completing every mission in the game, hitting 100 hours was no problem.

Fallout 3 - The amount of content in Fallout 3 by itself is huge, and I'm fortunate enough to have all of the expansion packs.  The massive laundry list of quests and exploration opportunities made it impossible to put this one down even on one playthrough, and The Pitt and Point Lookout added even more chunks of territory to explore.  If New Vegas is as addictive as this, I'm in trouble.

Chrono Trigger - This one almost feels like cheating since I've played it at least seven times over the course of about ten years, eight including my review of the DS version.  It may be predictable as a favorite and well-played game but there's just a lot to love about Chrono Trigger, and to date it's one of those games that's fun to play just another time.

Honorable mentions go games where I didn't quite make triple digits, but still logged around seventy plus hours: Final Fantasy VI and VII, Dragon Quest VIII, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and Persona 3 (currently playing this one). 

It's interesting looking back on the games you've actually managed to log four days' worth of time into and see what they mean to you.  I've been playing video games since the age of three, so these really represent what I've wanted to devote my time and energy to the most.  What's your hall of fame?
Badhands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Badhands

Mine would have to be Oblivion, fallout 3, borderlands ME1, ME2 and over the last 6 years since the game came out I have played the original fable at least 100 hours worth (I know strange) I used to love that game.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

How the hell did Chrono Trigger get 100 hours? It barely breaks 10!

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By nintendoeats

ME2 (two playthroughs with all the fixins)
Burnout Paradise (something that I share with Jeff as it happens)
GTA IV (I'm not sure, but I have played an AWFUL lot of it...)
Pokemon (I was a kid, and the early ones are actually really good...)
Super Mario 64 (again, not sure. it was one of a small number of games that I owned for many years...)

s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By s7evn
@Video_Game_King
How the hell did Chrono Trigger get 100 hours? It barely breaks 10!
I'm guessing if you play through multiple times you could reach 100 hours.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#6  Edited By BeachThunder

Borderlands... and I'm still not really done...

@Video_Game_King said:

"10!"

10 factorial? That's a lot of hours D:
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By beej

What about the elder scrolls three? Also seconding oblivion.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King
@BeachThunder: 

No, just 10. I used the exclamation mark grammatically, not mathematically.
babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By babblinmule

Oblivion - Ive lost count of how many characters i created, and S rank for that game took freaking aaaaaaaages
KOTOR 1 - Mustve played that game at least 8 times over the years
Persona 4 - 2 playthroughs
LotR Battle for middle earth 2 - According to xfire ive played that game for 141 hours (not sure if that counts though since that was all campaign and skirmish against the AI)
Pokemon Gold - When we were kids, me and my brother had 10 level 100's each.... which took some time.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Hailinel
@Video_Game_King said:
" How the hell did Chrono Trigger get 100 hours? It barely breaks 10! "
If you're psychic, take the easiest route through, and have mastered the game, perhaps.  Otherwise, nuh-uh.

My old Samurai Warriors 2 save file indicates that I've played that game for more than 100 hours.  (Fuck you haters.)
ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ZimboDK

Football Manager (Worldwide Soccer Manager in the US I think) - 300+ hours on each iteration the past 14 years. 
Civilization (all except Rev and V) - 100+ hours
Oblivion - about 110 hours
Fallout 3 - 140 hours

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ignor

Morrowind, Worms Armageddon and Serious Sam: The Second Encounter.

kyelb22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kyelb22

Mine would have to be Fallout 3, Oblivion, Borderlands, and ME1.

Avatar image for thelegendofluke
TheLegendofLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheLegendofLuke

Fifa 10, Final Fantasy XII and probably Pokémon Blue (my gameboy broke, so I can't check :( ) are the ones that spring to mind. 

I know Fifa is a multiplayer game, but the majority of my time with it has been spent in the manager and be a pro modes playing on my lonesome, raging at how the computer is a cheating cunt.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By JJOR64

Street Fighter IV and Super Street Fighter IV - 700+ Hours

EDIT:  Just noticed it says single player.  Does a game's glitch time count?  My Blue Dragon time glitch and I have like 1,700 hours in it.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Hailinel: 

Since the game encourages replay, yea, it's very easy to know where to go and what to do. Even if you take the longest route (let Crono die, revive him, do all the sidequests, and attack the floating Zeal Palace or whatever (it's been a long time)), it only takes about 14 hours, if I remember correctly.
Onno10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Onno10

Only civilization and Dynasty warriors games broke 100 hours for me with only singleplayer.
I'm probably way too much into dynasty warriors. Even worse they're exactly the opposite: hardcore strategy and brainless buttonmashing

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@Ignor said:

" Morrowind, Worms Armageddon and Serious Sam: The Second Encounter. "

Outside of Morrowind, that's pretty badass if you fit 100+ hours into Worms Armageddon and Serious Sam 

For me, it's Oblivion (Shocker I know) and Borderlands. Pokemon Blue took probably half my young life.
HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HypoXenophobia

Odd to consider, the Persona 4 endurance run missed it by a minute.

DEllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By DEllen

FIFA 09 (and probably '10 too), Fable and Pokemon Red/Blue.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hailinel
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Hailinel:   Since the game encourages replay, yea, it's very easy to know where to go and what to do. Even if you take the longest route (let Crono die, revive him, do all the sidequests, and attack the floating Zeal Palace or whatever (it's been a long time)), it only takes about 14 hours, if I remember correctly. "
Replays are always faster, given that the New Game + starts you off at the level you were at when you beat it previously.  I need evidence you can beat it in that span of time on your first go through.
TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By TomA

Oblivion and Burnout 3 really. And SOCOM 1-3 on highest difficulty. And Medieval 2 Total War.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ignor
@wolf_blitzer85:  Hey, what can I say? They're both pretty old games by now. 

I find it strange that no one has mention WOW yet.
MichaelCarusi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MichaelCarusi

@Ignor Can you consider that single player?  I suppose technically you can do a lot of quests yourself but you're signing onto a server.

@Video_Game_King Like I said, I've played Chrono Trigger a *lot*, mostly to see different endings.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Hailinel: 

I'm not talking about New Game +, though; I'm talking about New Game. As for proof....shit, I deleted that PS1 save. Gimme a minute....Fuck the past version of myself for not having the courtesy to put in a comment on how short the game is. You win this time, but give me several months, and I'll be back with a screenshot.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hailinel
@Video_Game_King:   And the day is mine!
Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ignor
@MichaelCarusi said:

" @Ignor Can you consider that single player?  I suppose technically you can do a lot of quests yourself but you're signing onto a server. "

Eh, It wouldn't  surprise me if some people do =S
I hadn't read the title of the topic thorougly enough. No surprise there, either.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BeachThunder said:
" Borderlands... and I'm still not really done...

@Video_Game_King said:

"10!"

10 factorial? That's a lot of hours D: "
WHOA. 

I understand that.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#29  Edited By citizenkane

I've put about 200+ hours into Fallout 3+ DLC.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Hailinel: 

But the week belongs to me! Nya-ha-ha! *twiddles mustache*
CuddlyKnife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#31  Edited By CuddlyKnife

CLassic gamer in the house!

Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3, World, 64, and SUnshine, each have over 100 hours played.
Ninja Gaiden trilogy on the NES, plus the 2 Ninja Gaiden games on the 360. Black is b/c.
Castlevania 1, 2, 3, 4, SotN, Dos each have 100 hours.
Battletoads and Battlemaniacs(SNES)
Bubble Bobble 
Sonic trilogy
Street Fighter 2/MK 3
 Actually, there are a lot of games from the NES/GEN/SNES era that have over 100 hours each.  Many of those games have hundreds of hours. Yeagh, I been playing since early eighties and still play my classics all the time.

Trials HD, Hexic, Mutant Storm Reloaded, Super STardust HD, Shatter, Pain also have over 100 each. Plus other last/gen current gen games. I just don't have time to think about them all.

Oh yeah, and every Oddworld game up to and including Stranger's Wrath have over 100 each.

Badhands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Badhands
@Ignor said:
" @wolf_blitzer85:  Hey, what can I say? They're both pretty old games by now.   I find it strange that no one has mention WOW yet. "
The amount of time that I played WoW when I played is so high I don't even like telling people. Haha
tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#33  Edited By tearhead
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • Tales of Symphonia
  • Pokemon Ruby
Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By Cwaff

Pretty much any Pokemon game 
Dragon Age 
Final Fantasy 7, 9, 10 
Spyro the Dragon 
Persona 3 

Avatar image for thelegendofluke
TheLegendofLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheLegendofLuke
@CuddlyKnife: 100 hours on the Sonic games?! That's insane. I've played Sonic 2 a lot, but no where near 100 hours.
Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By Jayzilla

Morrowind. Legend of Zelda. Super Mario Bros. Oblivion. Madden 04. Rogue Squadron 2. Perfect Dark. COD World at War.  

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Oblivion 
Fallout 3 
Borderlands 
Sly Cooper 2
coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By coaxmetal

Morrowind (multiple dudes, all expansions, did everything, so many mods)
Oblivion 
Baldur's Gate 2 (multiple playthroughs, including expansion) 
Borderlands (PC) 
Resident Evil 4 
Tales of Symphonia 
Castlevania SOTN, AoS (guessing based on number of times played, don't have numbers) 
Escape Velocity Nova (probably the original EV too, but I am not sure).
and more, probably

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By me3639

Totally agree with you on both ME2 and Fallout 3 with all the DLC. A lot of time on both but worth the time. The other title i would add is Dragon Age.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hailinel
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Hailinel:   But the week belongs to me! Nya-ha-ha! *twiddles mustache* "
Only if you can beat Chrono Trigger within that time frame. :P
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Hailinel: 

Due to time travel, I already have, and I already will :P.
MichaelCarusi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MichaelCarusi

It's interesting to see so many people listing Oblivion.  I just couldn't get into that game for some reason, which is mystifying since I loved Fallout 3.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#44  Edited By obcdexter

Quite a lot throughout the years. 
I'm certain I invested 100+ hours into the SP modes of the following games:
 - Final Fantasy VII, VIII and XII
 - Disgaea 2 and 3
 - Persona 3 and 4
 - Fallout 3
 - Gran Turismo 3 and 4 (though I didn't necessarily spend all those hours in front of the screen)
 - Anstoss 3
 - Freelancer 
 - some Pro Evolution Soccer titles

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheFreeMan

Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing
Viewtiful Joe

.....every now and then, I replay the living hell out of certain games. I have literally played through the campaign for EoN ten times.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By mikemcn
TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By TehFlan

About half a dozen pokemon games, maybe SMW, and definately SM64. 
Also tetris, I don't even want to think about how much time I've put into that.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#48  Edited By StarFoxA
@Video_Game_King said:
" How the hell did Chrono Trigger get 100 hours? It barely breaks 10! "
I've probably played 100 hours of Chrono Trigger after about five playthroughs (I've never bothered to get any other endings than the default one...)
yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By yakov456

Oblivion was my first and only 100+ game.

rargy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#50  Edited By rargy

Fallout 3, Oblivion, Morrowind, Borderlands, Dragon Age, Tales of Vesperia, FFXI, GTA3, Lost Odyssey, and Mass Effect 1.   90+ hours in Demon's Souls.

Drawing a blank on older games.  Maybe some of the Final Fantasy's or Tales of the Abyss.