The Biggest Turkeys of 2011

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Edited By turboman

I love the holiday of Thanksgiving, but let's be honest, Turkey is the worst choice of meat you can have. It's always disappointing whenever you see this you bite into a dry piece of turkey, and try to neutralize it's awfulness by dowsing it in gravy and stuffing. Anyways... you guys love end of the year lists, right? So why not a "Most Disappointing Things of 2011".... except holiday themed.... right?

No Caption Provided

Video Games

Video Games (DisHonorable Mentions):

• Duke Nukem Forever: Sure, I wasn't expecting the greatest FPS of all time from Duke Nukem, but the final product of the game was a mess. Extremely old multiplayer, loading in between levels, horrible dick jokes, uninteresting scenarios, and bad frame rate. The biggest crime is that there was no full on behind the scenes feature, because I would love to know what the hell caused this dull game to be delayed for so long.
  • Red Faction Armageddon: Aw man, I loved that open world mars game from two years ago... oh you took out the open world? Great.
  • X-Men Destiny: Oh sweet, the Silicon Knights guys are going to get back on their feet by making an X-Men RPG game... except it's a mediocre button masher

Most Disappointing Game: Dragon Age II

The Escapist : Zero Punctuation : Dragon Age II

Dragon Age: Origins is perhaps my favorite RPG this generation (until I get my hands on Skyrim). It was long, strategic, and open. So what kind of "improvements" did Bioware make to the sequel? How about turn the strategy behind the game and turn it into a button masher, and take all of the open world stuff and force you go to the same exact place over and over again. As long as we can rush out a sequel, people will buy it, right? Instead, this game tarnished the Dragon Age brand for everyone that loved the first game.

Music

Music (DisHonorable Mentions):

• Lupe Fiasco - Lasers : Lupe Fiasco's first CD is something that I'm not afraid to say is one of my favorite rap albums of the last decade. It was the last rap album I really connected to before I abandoned the whole genre entirely. When Lupe's second album came out, I listened and somewhat enjoyed. But this album feels like a reaction to his one commercially successful song, which meant every song sounds like some crappy radio song. It doesn't help that he ruined Modest Mouse's "Float On".
  • Lou Reed & Metallica - Lulu : Neither of these two names has made anything of quality since the 80's, but when you saw that Lou Reed and Metallica was making an album together, the first thing that popped into my head was "Huh, I bet that's going to be crazy". Yes, it is crazy, but is also impossible to listen to.

Most Disappointing Album: Radiohead - The King of Limbs

I don't care if you're a fan or not of Radiohead, you have to admit that 2007's "In Rainbows" was one of the better albums of that year. Radiohead has four albums that would make any music critics all time favorites list, so any release from them is something to look forward too. However, what we got from them this year was a steaming pile of unlistenable shit. It was only eight songs long, the drum loops were too complicated, they abandoned guitars, and Thom Yorke's mumbling throughout the album drives me insane. Phooey.

Movies

Movies (DisHonorable Mentions):

• Cars 2 : Damnit Pixar, I let you get away with the first Cars, but this movie somehow made me lose respect for the Pixar brand. Shame on you for cashing in a dull movie for money.

• Captain America : Thor was surprisingly awesome, this movie was not.
  • Green Lantern : This comic book movie was straight up awful.

Most Disappointing Movie: The Hangover II

Hangover was a surprisingly fun, dumb comedy movie. Anything that makes Zach Galifinakis a star is ok in my book. I was a bit hesitant to see the rushed sequel, but I laughed a few times during the trailer, and planned accordingly to go into the midnight screening of The Hangover II drunk. I'm not making this part up, towards the end of The Hangover II, I proceded to yell at the movie screen that "THIS IS THE SAME GOD DAMNED MOVIE AS THE FIRST ONE". Sure, might have been a bit harsh, but it was a true statement. Every story element in this movie is exactly the same as the first movie... it was like the script writers played Mad Libs to write this movie.

Wrestling

Wrestling (Oh yeah, I'm including wrestling.):

• Wrestlemania XXVII - The Undertaker/HHH match was fine, but the rest was extremely dull. The Miz is main eventing at Wrestlemania? Snooki is in a match? Michael Cole vs. Jerry Lawler? Absolutely unacceptable matches to be thrown into the biggest event of the year.
  • TNA In General - Seriously, where the fuck did Alex Shelley go? Crimson is awful, and them forcing the "Winning Streak" angle on us is worse. Samoa Joe is booked horribly. The X Division now has a weight limit. Hogan is back to his backstage antics. This show is awful in general. It's picked up a little bit in the past month by having Roode and Storm being the top two guys, but man....
  • Summer of Punk ruined - CM Punk changed the wrestling industry in one month. Then, WWE changed it back to business as usual within the next month.

Most Disappointing Wrestling Moment: Jeff Hardy vs. Sting

This is the definition of a train wreck. Jeff Hardy shows up to the PPV completely drugged up, and he's supposed to be in the main event with Sting. Sting basically forces the end of the match within a minute and TNA does the right thing and fires Hardy for disgracing the TNA brand. Except that last part never happened. Jeff Hardy is still working for TNA, even though he ruined the main event and cost all of the customers of that $40 TNA PPV their trust in that organization. Absolutely Horrible.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By turboman

I love the holiday of Thanksgiving, but let's be honest, Turkey is the worst choice of meat you can have. It's always disappointing whenever you see this you bite into a dry piece of turkey, and try to neutralize it's awfulness by dowsing it in gravy and stuffing. Anyways... you guys love end of the year lists, right? So why not a "Most Disappointing Things of 2011".... except holiday themed.... right?

No Caption Provided

Video Games

Video Games (DisHonorable Mentions):

• Duke Nukem Forever: Sure, I wasn't expecting the greatest FPS of all time from Duke Nukem, but the final product of the game was a mess. Extremely old multiplayer, loading in between levels, horrible dick jokes, uninteresting scenarios, and bad frame rate. The biggest crime is that there was no full on behind the scenes feature, because I would love to know what the hell caused this dull game to be delayed for so long.
  • Red Faction Armageddon: Aw man, I loved that open world mars game from two years ago... oh you took out the open world? Great.
  • X-Men Destiny: Oh sweet, the Silicon Knights guys are going to get back on their feet by making an X-Men RPG game... except it's a mediocre button masher

Most Disappointing Game: Dragon Age II

The Escapist : Zero Punctuation : Dragon Age II

Dragon Age: Origins is perhaps my favorite RPG this generation (until I get my hands on Skyrim). It was long, strategic, and open. So what kind of "improvements" did Bioware make to the sequel? How about turn the strategy behind the game and turn it into a button masher, and take all of the open world stuff and force you go to the same exact place over and over again. As long as we can rush out a sequel, people will buy it, right? Instead, this game tarnished the Dragon Age brand for everyone that loved the first game.

Music

Music (DisHonorable Mentions):

• Lupe Fiasco - Lasers : Lupe Fiasco's first CD is something that I'm not afraid to say is one of my favorite rap albums of the last decade. It was the last rap album I really connected to before I abandoned the whole genre entirely. When Lupe's second album came out, I listened and somewhat enjoyed. But this album feels like a reaction to his one commercially successful song, which meant every song sounds like some crappy radio song. It doesn't help that he ruined Modest Mouse's "Float On".
  • Lou Reed & Metallica - Lulu : Neither of these two names has made anything of quality since the 80's, but when you saw that Lou Reed and Metallica was making an album together, the first thing that popped into my head was "Huh, I bet that's going to be crazy". Yes, it is crazy, but is also impossible to listen to.

Most Disappointing Album: Radiohead - The King of Limbs

I don't care if you're a fan or not of Radiohead, you have to admit that 2007's "In Rainbows" was one of the better albums of that year. Radiohead has four albums that would make any music critics all time favorites list, so any release from them is something to look forward too. However, what we got from them this year was a steaming pile of unlistenable shit. It was only eight songs long, the drum loops were too complicated, they abandoned guitars, and Thom Yorke's mumbling throughout the album drives me insane. Phooey.

Movies

Movies (DisHonorable Mentions):

• Cars 2 : Damnit Pixar, I let you get away with the first Cars, but this movie somehow made me lose respect for the Pixar brand. Shame on you for cashing in a dull movie for money.

• Captain America : Thor was surprisingly awesome, this movie was not.
  • Green Lantern : This comic book movie was straight up awful.

Most Disappointing Movie: The Hangover II

Hangover was a surprisingly fun, dumb comedy movie. Anything that makes Zach Galifinakis a star is ok in my book. I was a bit hesitant to see the rushed sequel, but I laughed a few times during the trailer, and planned accordingly to go into the midnight screening of The Hangover II drunk. I'm not making this part up, towards the end of The Hangover II, I proceded to yell at the movie screen that "THIS IS THE SAME GOD DAMNED MOVIE AS THE FIRST ONE". Sure, might have been a bit harsh, but it was a true statement. Every story element in this movie is exactly the same as the first movie... it was like the script writers played Mad Libs to write this movie.

Wrestling

Wrestling (Oh yeah, I'm including wrestling.):

• Wrestlemania XXVII - The Undertaker/HHH match was fine, but the rest was extremely dull. The Miz is main eventing at Wrestlemania? Snooki is in a match? Michael Cole vs. Jerry Lawler? Absolutely unacceptable matches to be thrown into the biggest event of the year.
  • TNA In General - Seriously, where the fuck did Alex Shelley go? Crimson is awful, and them forcing the "Winning Streak" angle on us is worse. Samoa Joe is booked horribly. The X Division now has a weight limit. Hogan is back to his backstage antics. This show is awful in general. It's picked up a little bit in the past month by having Roode and Storm being the top two guys, but man....
  • Summer of Punk ruined - CM Punk changed the wrestling industry in one month. Then, WWE changed it back to business as usual within the next month.

Most Disappointing Wrestling Moment: Jeff Hardy vs. Sting

This is the definition of a train wreck. Jeff Hardy shows up to the PPV completely drugged up, and he's supposed to be in the main event with Sting. Sting basically forces the end of the match within a minute and TNA does the right thing and fires Hardy for disgracing the TNA brand. Except that last part never happened. Jeff Hardy is still working for TNA, even though he ruined the main event and cost all of the customers of that $40 TNA PPV their trust in that organization. Absolutely Horrible.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By eccentrix

I'm not a turkey, you're a chicken!

PerfidiousSinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By PerfidiousSinn

I had low expectations for Lulu, but WOW! You're right, this is actually unlistenable.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I kinda want to get into TNA again because it looks so hilariously awful. I'm sure I'll regret it. I watched a PPV earlier this year and turned it off after 30 minutes because it was putting me to sleep.

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By AnimalFather

battle field 3 was the biggest disappointment/turkey for me.

cabelhigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By cabelhigh

Man, King of Limbs is no way worse than Lulu. That's inconceivable!

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Mystyr_E

I finally came to terms with it too: King of Limbs is terrible. So terrible I can't even remember a simple melody from it; I at least can recall the guitar line of House of Cards or that haunting piano of Videotape but I can't remember how songs go in that album

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By jorbear

I want a turducken award show.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Dragon Age 2 is definitely deserving of biggest disappointment.

And wow, didn't know about that TNA thing at all, but that's really bad. I don't know why that guy keeps getting hired, he's ridiculously unreliable and pulling that at a PVP is really disrespectful to everyone involved.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By EuanDewar

I disagree about King of Limbs. The first half of the album is an acquired taste, I've been listening to it since it came out at the beginning of the year and I still don't quite "get" it. However, the second half is beautiful. Although I'll spare you my long form opinion on that. I don't think you want this blog clogged up with a whole review.

Still, love you Turbo <3

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By turboman

@cabelhigh said:

Man, King of Limbs is no way worse than Lulu. That's inconceivable!

It's not worse than Lulu. It's more disappointing. My expectations for Radiohead is much higher than expectations for Lou Reed

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#11  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Nice blog Turboman. I don't even like turkey and I wanna eat that turkey.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Afroman269

Definitely agree on Dragon Age 2 being a huge disappointment. I seriously keep forgetting the game came out this year, crazy. I do disagree with King of Limbs being disappointing. It's no In Rainbows but the album is still pretty good. You just have to listen to it a lot to let it sink in.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By coakroach

I agree King of Limbs was disappointing, but its still nice to listen to in certain circumstances.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By ThePickle

"Turkey is the worst choice of meat you can have"

I'm gonna stop you right there and formally request to ban you from everything.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By turboman

@HandsomeDevil said:

Had Turkey today. It was dry as shit, almost choked on it.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lockwoodx

Duke Nukem Forever > RAGE. That is all.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Afroman269

@TurboMan said:

@HandsomeDevil said:

It has to be cooked just the right way. Most times it ends up being dry and the only thing that's somewhat good are the legs which just results in you having to drown the damn thing in gravy. Overall, turkey is overrated.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lockwoodx

@Afroman269 said:

@TurboMan said:

@HandsomeDevil said:

It has to be cooked just the right way. Most times it ends up being dry and the only thing that's somewhat good are the legs which just results in you having to drown the damn thing in gravy. Overall, turkey is overrated.

I think people have this artificial fear of turkey because after eating too much they wake up in compromised positions.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By ThePickle

@TurboMan said:

@HandsomeDevil said:

Then quit messing around with white meat and try some real-man dark meat (we're still talking about turkey).