The "Can't remember the name of this game" Thread v3.0

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@x19: Sorry but even after that extensive research you gave me I still have no idea what game it is. It definitely isn't Tomba, since I love the Tomba series and would know if that were the game I was talking about. It's quite possible that it could be a combination of my memories of wild 9 and tekken. I'm still not sure, that's the only conclusion I can think of for now anyway. On the bright side, I remember playing wild 9 a lot, completely forgot about that game so thanks for reintroducing me to it.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@mrsignerman44: Hmm sorry I'm out of ideas as far as demos go. I couldn't see something like you described on a demo disc that had MGS or Medievil on it. Agreed Wild9 was awesome, I had a lot of fun playing that game :D

On another note I discovered a game I'd been looking for called Star Ixiom during the quest to find the answer to your question. Guess we both gained something XD

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#454  Edited By audioBusting

@supermonkey122: Pretty sure it's Dual Hearts.

I'm trying to remember this game's title:

• Two main characters to choose from, a boy and a girl
  • 3D action platformer. Some JRPG stuff in it too (it's from Japan)
  • The boy has green clothes, wears a hat, uses some kind of axe to fight, and turns into animals
  • I think the girl has pigtails. She uses rings to fight and can cast magic.
  • One of the levels is some sort of imaginary world that plays like a 2D platformer.

I think it's on the PSX but it may be on the PS2. Sorry if this has been asked.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#455  Edited By X19

@audiobusting said:

I'm trying to remember this game's title:

• Two main characters to choose from, a boy and a girl
  • 3D action platformer. Some JRPG stuff in it too (it's from Japan)
  • The boy has green clothes, wears a hat, uses some kind of axe to fight, and turns into animals
  • I think the girl has pigtails. She uses rings to fight and can cast magic.
  • One of the levels is some sort of imaginary world that plays like a 2D platformer.

I think it's on the PSX but it may be on the PS2. Sorry if this has been asked.

Loading Video...

Threads of Fate?

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#456  Edited By audioBusting

@x19: That's it! Thanks a lot. I was excited to see that it has a PSN release, but not in Australia =[

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@x19: That's great man, the ps1 has such an extensive library that I'm surprised at the work you put into finding old games. Keep up the good work duder!

HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Ok, let's see if anyone can help me:

• It's a Super Nintendo game and I played this sometime between 1994 and 1996
  • You play as a boy who would only move sideways on the screen shooting up, like Space Invaders
  • There were huge marbles slowly bouncing in the in the screen and you were supposed to dodge and break them with you gun
  • Every time you shot one i would break into 2 marbles rougly half of the size of the original until they were so small that you could break them with one shot
  • As you cleared a screen you would proceed to the next and the background art was based in many countries of the world
  • I think it was japanese and maybe published by Data East
Doomduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#459  Edited By Doomduck

@haroldonvu: Haven't played it myself, but some searching lead me to Pang. It has sequels too.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#460  Edited By AlexW00d

@chibithor said:

Okay, I've got three games and I really don't remember much about them so the descriptions might be entirely incorrect and not very in-depth. Still, worth a shot if someone recognizes what I'm talking about right away.

1. Looks very, very much like Altered Beast. I'm not convinced it's not Altered Beast, but I recall that you played a knight and had a sword. It was from around that era as well. No idea concerning platform.

2. A sort of third person polygonal mech game, where you could get on top of roofs and such. I remember a red mech that reminded me of a ladybug? Graphics were maybe late PS1 era quality. Not quite Deus Ex level. Might've been on the PC.

3. A car-combat type game, as far as visuals go it was sort of like F-Zero in a desert arena with guns. Looked similar to Star Wars Episode I Racer. I think it was first-person and for the PC but maybe not.

That bottom one is possibly/probably A.I.M. 1/2/Racing. (Turns out I thought Aim Racing was like the podracing game too)

No Caption Provided

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haroldonvu: You're talking about Pang/Super Pang dude. Great game.

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@alexw00d: The other two are too recent, but it could be the first one. Thanks to the name I couldn't find actual gameplay video but I did find a screenshot that looks close to what I was thinking. So, thanks (probably at least)! Looks like it's on Amazon for $10 so I guess I'll check it out sometime.

Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#463  Edited By Cyrus_Saren

I've got one game I'm having trouble remembering:

1. It was on the SNES
  2. It was a mech game
  3. You could get in different mechs or just walk on foot if you wanted
  4. It had a versus mode

I realize some of this is pretty vague but this is all I can remember about it.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#464  Edited By confusedowl
Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#465  Edited By Cyrus_Saren
supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#467  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Some kind of adventure game from the early 90's, probably on Amiga or PC, possibly Tandy Coco or Macintosh. I really only remember one scene from the game - a death scene, as was common in adventure games of that era. It was set in a pretty dark room, with metallic panels covering the walls - most of the screen was black as far as I can recall, with some wall and lightning details highlighted in blue, gray and red. The main character had a Metroid-ish blue suit with a red visor, and was disintegrated by a roof mounted laser cannon, leaving just a pile of dust on the floor. After a couple of seconds a panel opened in a wall, and two cleaning robots appeared, one of them had the shape of a dustpan, and the other had a broom mounted on it, they cleaned the dust up and went back into the hole in the wall.

There is a similar scene in Beneath A Steel Sky, but without the robots and the color palette. The game doesn't seem to be any of the Space Quest games either. I remember the graphical style looking better than the early EGA/CGA Sierra adventure games, but I don't recall it having scanned hand painted graphics like later Sierra games and Beneath a Steel Sky had.

HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#469  Edited By HaroldoNVU
Avatar image for reasonablesteve
reasonablesteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#470  Edited By reasonablesteve

I am on a vision quest across the internet to find a game I played sometime around 2007. It was a first-person action RPG, vaguely similar to Dark Messiah of Might and Magic or Arx Fatalis, less so to Oblivion and Legend of Grimrock. It was obviously unfinished, perhaps just a prototype that was eventually abandoned. You started as a strangely trapezoidal warrior with significant musculature and tiny legs (which you could see when you looked down) who was naked but for a loincloth, in a dungeon made up of rather well bump-mapped bricks, with some really solid dynamic lighting provided by torches. You beat up a few very green (like really green) little goblins, gathered armor, knocked around some physics-enabled barrels and eventually faced off against some rather powerful skeletons. The name "Ogre" keeps coming to mind, and I think it might've been made with Ogre 3D, the graphics engine, but that may be untrue. I have been through several databases to no avail. I'm almost certain it died in development, but I'm definitely sure that I downloaded and played an alpha version of it. Help me internet! You're my only hope!

I also vaguely recall a windowed menu interface with a picture of a golem or other stony creature in center frame. That could be something else mixing in my mind though.

Nothing has made me more sad than

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py7HJiOeJjw&list=PLFA661EA11F947FF0&index=4

which is not the right game but absurdly close.

If this description comes up in your Googling that is because I have seeded it as many locations as I can, because it's kindofa long shot. I keep accidentally running across it and getting my hopes up.

RESOLVED It got submitted to the IGF so I found it on there. Holy damn. http://www.esenthel.com/projects/esenthel_rpg/en/screenshots.php

ProfessorBread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#471  Edited By ProfessorBread

You guys are super amazing for keeping this all going still. Have been scared to post in here because...well crazy neuroses also not really sure what I will do with the information but, G.I. Joe.

1. An RPG that was on the SNES
  2. I recall your saves being clones of yourself that were activated when you died.
  3. Battle system had you facing enemies and pulling from a menu (Earthbound would be a good parallel).

Kudos to the community to constantly surprising me with amazingness =).

Avatar image for reasonablesteve
reasonablesteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#472  Edited By reasonablesteve

@mrpapershead: Are you sure it was on SNES? Because Phantasy Star II on the Genesis totally had a system of cloning your characters to bring them back to life after death.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#473  Edited By Video_Game_King

@mrpapershead: Are you sure it was on SNES? Because Phantasy Star II on the Genesis totally had a system of cloning your characters to bring them back to life after death.

After a quick browse on MobyGames, this is the only option that makes any sense, unless you spent a lot of time emulating obscure games in your youth.

ProfessorBread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: @reasonableman: I really thought it was on the SNES, but I guess I was mistaken. Emulation wasn't a thing I knew about until College (PS2 era), so it would have had to have been a real cart =). Every part of the game seems spot in line with memory except for some weird coloring issues, but who knows how much of that is simply the fact that it is an old memory of a game I only played for a day.

Thank you so very much for the help! =). Random lingering question put to rest.

maxehlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#475  Edited By maxehlin
No Caption Provided

Could somebody tell me what these games are please?

Mysterysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#476  Edited By Mysterysheep
SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#477  Edited By SamStrife
mikejamoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has been doing my head in for ages.

It's a game on the Amstrad CPC. I had it on the CPC 464 and it came on a 3" floppy. As the 464 had a green screen, the graphics are hard to define, but it was a very simple maze game, top-down, and required either special keys or different character states in order to proceed into different sections.

All the enemies were simple shapes - I seem to remember one looking like the craft in Geometry Wars but that could be wrong.

Mysterysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're right on all of these and I'm 99% sure 2 is the original Syndicate.

Ah okay, thanks! That would've driven me crazy, never did play Syndicate.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@MikeyM: Was there any combat to the game or was it purely maze solving; can you elaborate at all scoring mechanics? Also, I realize it's pretty far back now, but any idea what year you played it? Since the CPC 464 came out in '84 and you describe it having such simple graphics, it sounds like it's probably an 84/85/86 game, but it's tough to tell. It kind of sounds like Aquad (pictured below) but there are a lot of games that have maze-like level design on the CPC. Aquad has scoring mechanics more like Pacman, where you're eating dots, whereas usually they're more along the lines of shooting enemies for points. I think getting the scoring mechanics down could help a lot, as there are a ton of CPC games.

No Caption Provided

I'll also throw Bio Spheres and Buster Block out there.

Stevensonbak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#481  Edited By Stevensonbak

I'm really impressed with all of the obscure games that have been dug up thanks to this thread, but I feel like my game may already be a lost cause because of it's obscurity and my extremely faint memory of it from my childhood in the mid 90's.

It was a 2D platformer on the PC, which I predict was made between 1993 and 1996. The (corny) premise was based on Romeo and Juliet, except the objective is to rescue Juliet from a tower. If I remember correctly, you begin at the bottom of the screen (the screen never scrolls) and there are some sort of obstacles from the bottom to the top of the screen, where I guess Juliet is in a tower. Unfortunately, I can't remember any enemies or obstacles in particular. I VERY vaguely remember it having pretty detailed graphics for it's time for a game of its simplicity.
Also, I may have played it on a Packard Bell, if that helps.

I normally wouldn't give this game much thought, but my whole family remembers me playing this game when I thought I was the only one that remembered it at all, totally blew my mind.

Reayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So glad I found this topic, I hope it's just what I need to comfort my troubled mind. Gotta apologize though, everything I remember is kind of misty. Here's what I remember:

- Most probably it was a game for an old gaming console I owned. In Poland it was called a "Pegasus", which is basically a clone of NES... But I may have played it on another plug-it-into-the-TV-console at my friend's house.

- I played it sometime between 95-98' and the graphics were neat, so it's probably from around that time.

- Speaking of graphics, it was a colorful game, kinda japanese-looking, manga style.

- It was an action game, a side-scrolling one if I'm correct.

- You controlled a boy who was probably a monk and you had to rescue a girl (a sister maybe?). Also, you were really small, as in short.

- The boy could shoot something, I think it was some sort of ki energy from his third/inner eye? Damn this is messed up, how the hell was I allowed ot play that when I was 6?

- This bit might just be my dream: I think that the last level took place in some sort of a tower, and at the end of it you had to choose one of 3 doors.

- The ending screen would show you and that mystery sister/girlfriend walking away into the sunshine. Oh wait, the girl patched the boy's third eye, or something...

- I could hum you the tune that played during the ending, but I seriously hope we can manage without that.

Well, I really hope someone can help me, because lately it's been killing me. It's one of these thoughts that tend to reappear from time to time just to torture your precious soul. Good luck guys, you're my only hope.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#483  Edited By X19

@reayer: Do you live in Poland because it will make it easier to know the type of game it could be. Was the game in English or another language?

Next step is to understand more about the Pegasus. So it could run Famicom and NES games. Most bundles of the consoles came with a cartridge called "Contra 168-in-1" which I recommend you look through. Unless you can remember the game being on it's own cartridge.

Also because of the year it might have been the Power Pegasus 16-bit which ran Sega Genesis games.

So can you remember if the game looked 8bit or 16bit?

If it's not a Pegasus and is just a random "plug-it-into-the-TV-console" with games built in, then it will be a bugger to find the game.

mikejamoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winsord said:

@MikeJAMoran: Was there any combat to the game or was it purely maze solving; can you elaborate at all scoring mechanics? Also, I realize it's pretty far back now, but any idea what year you played it? Since the CPC 464 came out in '84 and you describe it having such simple graphics, it sounds like it's probably an 84/85/86 game, but it's tough to tell. It kind of sounds like Aquad (pictured below) but there are a lot of games that have maze-like level design on the CPC. Aquad has scoring mechanics more like Pacman, where you're eating dots, whereas usually they're more along the lines of shooting enemies for points. I think getting the scoring mechanics down could help a lot, as there are a ton of CPC games.

No Caption Provided

I'll also throw Bio Spheres and Buster Block out there.

Hi, winsord. I'm pretty sure it isn't those three. I played it in about 93-94 (and I was 4-5 - I realise the Amstrad CPC was ancient by then). I also played it on an CPC 464 with a green screen, so that makes it harder to remember! I don't believe there was combat, but there wasn't Pac-Man pellets either. The maze wasn't on a a single screen either, and it wasn't a maze in a lines sense, like the screen, but in different connected areas, a lot of which you could see but had to figure out how to get to them.

Reayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#485  Edited By Reayer

@x19: Yes, I live in Poland. I think it was in English.

I'm almost certain it was 16 bit, it had a pretty charming graphics. And I'm pretty sure it had its own cartdrige.

Sorry for not being precise enough in my first post, by "plug-it-into-the-TV-console" I meant a Sega Genesis or NES clone, a console with cartdiges.

Anyways, thank you for trying to help ^^

Reayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#486  Edited By Reayer
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#487  Edited By X19
TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 29

I'm looking for a late 80s/early 90s arcade brawler. It features a couple of kids on rollerskates as the main characters and they fight through a run-down urban environment. Racial stereotypes abound. I believe American Sammy had some involvement. Thanks for the help!

MarcoDeGammo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im looking for the name of a pc game that came out in the mid 90s it was a pirate themed fps on a DOOM like engine. It had a cannonball gun.
Im pretty sure it had a one word title. i think the cover had a dude with a beard on it.

CallMeTetris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#490  Edited By CallMeTetris
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

side scrolling cartoon shooter (like contra), could play as a guy or girl. zombie enemies.

anything?

jtdnole13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#492  Edited By jtdnole13

What was the game where you played as a starship and in the intro the homeworld was attacked, the fleet was destroyed, the enemy fleet was attacked by kamikaze ships, and then the enemy attacked the homeworld. There were orange ships shaped like a U, three prong orange ships, and massive ships that spawned barrel shaped fighters. in the first level you protect against an assault. then the next level u escort the fleet to the warp point. its a 2d game with special weapons and health picked up from destroyed enemy ships. please help. i also know the f keys toggled the lasers and rocket weapons. you went after outposts and there was a skirmish difficulty, two difficulties idk, and a blitzkrieg difficulty

Avatar image for razieleatssouls
Razieleatssouls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#493  Edited By Razieleatssouls

@mrsignerman44: I dug out my PlayStation Underground Jampack from Winter '98 since it has both MGS and MediEvil. I think the game you're remembering is Small Soldiers.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razieleatssouls: Wow I'd never heard of that series of demos. Will make sure to check through those if another playstation demo question comes up.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is legendary!

I'm looking for a PC sidescroller from the early 90s where you're a fox and you carry objects over your head and throw them at enemies. You can carry up to 3 objects I think. And you can climb emergency ladders up, and sewer ladders down.

Also another early PC game, all I remember from it is that you're a pre-historic tribal guy wearing a yellow piece of cloth with black spots on it, carrying a big wooden club. It's very popular I think but all I can remember is the theme/setting.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#497  Edited By JouselDelka

@x19: The nostalgia, it's too much, it's too much!

gif won't work, as usual..
gif won't work, as usual..

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#498  Edited By X19
Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razieleatssouls: Oh wow, I definitely remember playing that game. That might be it since I remember the menus and such being similar but I don't remember the game I mentioned being a shooter like Small Soldiers. Thanks for the nostalgia attack though.

embryonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#500  Edited By embryonic

A few years back I remember watching a friend of mine from school play this game. My memory of it is really vague, though.

• It was super self-aware, for instance a character would say press the x button to do such and such and the mc would reply with something like "what the hell are you on about?"
  • It was either on the PS2 or Gamecube. Possibly both (helpful, I know)
  • The art style resembled that of Fable
  • I can't for the life of me remember what genre it was. I think I can narrow it down to being something like Zelda or a 3D platformer
  • I THINK the main character spoke in an old London cockney accent