The Most Relaxing Games in the World! (another old AOL article)

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

Edited By Tireyo

I would all like you to know that I’m going to be busy this weekend and probably won’t be on, so to keep some of ya’ll busy I’ve decided to post another blog about another article I found on AOL a while back.  It’s about the most relaxing games in the world!  Also, next week is the starting of my SPRING BREAK!!  WOOHOO!!  So, I might post a few more things if I can think of anything to share.  I really don’t know of anything else at the moment.  Daylight’s Savings Time is this weekend; it’s just around the corner!  Before you’ll know it will be summer again!  I have a new avatar and wallpaper set up for spring, so I’m going to miss my master sword background with all the trees, and my avatar, which is my favorite singer Enya with a Dark Castle in the Background.  My new background is not up yet.  Even though I haven’t had the original wallpaper long, spring is coming and I want something that is spring.  Spring is the time of new beginnings and a time where everyone starts to get sick again.  I already have a stuffed up nose, which sucks because ya’ll know it’s hard to function with one.

Anyways, all material and content is from an article on AOL.  I think that this is very interesting, so do check out what is said to be the best games for relaxation.  This is long, but it’s worth reading.  I actually added my own pictures to it to make it more interesting.  What do ya’ll think about all this?  As the usual drill, if ya’ll have any questions or comments for me that you need to ask in private, you know where to find me!  Enjoy the article.

“Most Relaxing Games in the World

No Caption Provided
Tetris relieves stress, a recent study says

Most people think video games drain the brain, and electronic entertainment bears the blame for a myriad of problems, including (and not limited to) laziness, obesity and teen violence. A recent report from Oxford University says otherwise – saying that playing the addictive game Tetris can help patients suffering from traumatic stress syndrome.

Researchers found that playing the popular game shortly after a traumatic event helped them wipe out bad memories. About 40 volunteers waited for half an hour, one half of the group played Tetris for 10 minutes and the other half did nothing. The group who played the game experienced fewer flashbacks than the control group the following week.

The researchers used Tetris because moving the colored blocks uses a large portion of the brain and competes with other things requiring brain resources – in this case, bad memories.

The team at Oxford is not sure other games would work in the same manner, but we say otherwise.

Flower (PS3)

You star as the wind (as in, the wind that blows through your hair) and your goal is to guide a swarm of flower pedals across scenic environments, interacting with them to achieve specific goals, such as changing the grass from yellow to green or activating windmills, which then opens up new areas. It's not quite like getting a Shiatsu massage, but it's a lot more relaxing than doing your taxes.

Peggle Nights

The premise is simple -- shoot a ball from the top of the puzzle and eliminate all of the orange pegs on the board to get to the next level. Yes, it's mindless, but that's what make it such a great five-minute break during a hectic day.

No Caption Provided

Endless Ocean (Wii)

This Wii game lets you go under the sea and check out aquatic wildlife and search for treasure without having to squeeze into a wetsuit or worrying about sharp-toothed predators.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour

What's more relaxing than kicking back and taking in 18 holes with Tiger Woods? Guess that depends on who you talk to but anyone who needs an instant nature fix will appreciate the miles of manicured golf greens and the perfect breeze.

Katamari Damacy on Endless Mode

This kooky game puts you in shoes of a tiny prince who uses a giant sticky ball to roll up objects littering various environments (a living room, an entire city) while soothing J-Pop tunes play in the background. Put on the endless mode (which removes any time restrictions) and roll up stuff until your heart (and your mind's) content.

Mystery Case Files

You've played this before, whether in the newspaper or on your computer -- find a list of objects hiding in the scenic photographs.

Lego Star Wars

Play through the entire Star Wars saga with adorable Lego renditions of Leia, Luke, Darth Vader and Chewbacca. Go at it solo or play cooperatively, working with a friend to solving puzzles and blast enemies into cute little Lego pieces while saving a galaxy far, far away.

No Caption Provided
The Sims

This people simulation game is one of the best-selling games of all time -- and we credit the laid back vibe for its success. Create a family and manage their lives (their home, jobs and overall happiness). For some reason, handling other people's lives is less stressful than dealing with our own.

Animal Crossing City Folk

This Wii game sets you down in a town inhabited by animals, and you decide what do to next. Should you run errands for the townsfolk to earn extra cash? Should you try to catch the a rare fish and donate it to the museum? We prefer to hit the beach and pick up shells -- it's almost as good as being there.

Nintendogs

Raise adorable puppies -- feed them, play with them, talk to them -- on your Nintendo DS. It's practically virtual Prozac.

fl0w

Pilot an aquatic organism though ethereal environments, where you consume other organisms and evolve as spa-ready instrumental tunes play in the background.

Catan (Xbox Live)

This Xbox Live game is a takeoff of a strategy board game where you -- as a world leader -- try to dominate the planet by building settlements, setting up a huge army, building big roads, and more. This game requires more brains than brawn, so despite the aggressive theme, it's a great way to relax.

No Caption Provided

Wii Fit Yoga

Yoga -- it's one of the most relaxing exercises in the world. Now you can do Yoga courtesy of Wii Fit, an exercise game for Nintendo's Wii console. Just follow the virtual instructor's directions on screen to find Nirvana.

World of Goo

This puzzle game is built around crafting structures using large balls of goo -- the end goal is to build the highest tower using goo collected while playing through the game. Stacking goo balls might sound gross, but it's one puzzle game we can't wait to play after a long day at school or the office.

Bejeweled

It's hard to find anyone who hasn't succumbed to the mesmerizing charm of Bejeweled, in its many forms. The game involves combining three or more gems of the same color to make them disappear, and more jewels fall down from the top of the screen. Play this on endless mode and let the cheery colors brighten your mood.”

That is all for now.  Anyone reading this please feel free to leave your comments, and I’ll see everyone soon.  To all my GiantBomb friends, have a great rest of the week!  Tireyo643 (AKA: "Ti" – Tie) out!! 

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Tireyo

I would all like you to know that I’m going to be busy this weekend and probably won’t be on, so to keep some of ya’ll busy I’ve decided to post another blog about another article I found on AOL a while back.  It’s about the most relaxing games in the world!  Also, next week is the starting of my SPRING BREAK!!  WOOHOO!!  So, I might post a few more things if I can think of anything to share.  I really don’t know of anything else at the moment.  Daylight’s Savings Time is this weekend; it’s just around the corner!  Before you’ll know it will be summer again!  I have a new avatar and wallpaper set up for spring, so I’m going to miss my master sword background with all the trees, and my avatar, which is my favorite singer Enya with a Dark Castle in the Background.  My new background is not up yet.  Even though I haven’t had the original wallpaper long, spring is coming and I want something that is spring.  Spring is the time of new beginnings and a time where everyone starts to get sick again.  I already have a stuffed up nose, which sucks because ya’ll know it’s hard to function with one.

Anyways, all material and content is from an article on AOL.  I think that this is very interesting, so do check out what is said to be the best games for relaxation.  This is long, but it’s worth reading.  I actually added my own pictures to it to make it more interesting.  What do ya’ll think about all this?  As the usual drill, if ya’ll have any questions or comments for me that you need to ask in private, you know where to find me!  Enjoy the article.

“Most Relaxing Games in the World

No Caption Provided
Tetris relieves stress, a recent study says

Most people think video games drain the brain, and electronic entertainment bears the blame for a myriad of problems, including (and not limited to) laziness, obesity and teen violence. A recent report from Oxford University says otherwise – saying that playing the addictive game Tetris can help patients suffering from traumatic stress syndrome.

Researchers found that playing the popular game shortly after a traumatic event helped them wipe out bad memories. About 40 volunteers waited for half an hour, one half of the group played Tetris for 10 minutes and the other half did nothing. The group who played the game experienced fewer flashbacks than the control group the following week.

The researchers used Tetris because moving the colored blocks uses a large portion of the brain and competes with other things requiring brain resources – in this case, bad memories.

The team at Oxford is not sure other games would work in the same manner, but we say otherwise.

Flower (PS3)

You star as the wind (as in, the wind that blows through your hair) and your goal is to guide a swarm of flower pedals across scenic environments, interacting with them to achieve specific goals, such as changing the grass from yellow to green or activating windmills, which then opens up new areas. It's not quite like getting a Shiatsu massage, but it's a lot more relaxing than doing your taxes.

Peggle Nights

The premise is simple -- shoot a ball from the top of the puzzle and eliminate all of the orange pegs on the board to get to the next level. Yes, it's mindless, but that's what make it such a great five-minute break during a hectic day.

No Caption Provided

Endless Ocean (Wii)

This Wii game lets you go under the sea and check out aquatic wildlife and search for treasure without having to squeeze into a wetsuit or worrying about sharp-toothed predators.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour

What's more relaxing than kicking back and taking in 18 holes with Tiger Woods? Guess that depends on who you talk to but anyone who needs an instant nature fix will appreciate the miles of manicured golf greens and the perfect breeze.

Katamari Damacy on Endless Mode

This kooky game puts you in shoes of a tiny prince who uses a giant sticky ball to roll up objects littering various environments (a living room, an entire city) while soothing J-Pop tunes play in the background. Put on the endless mode (which removes any time restrictions) and roll up stuff until your heart (and your mind's) content.

Mystery Case Files

You've played this before, whether in the newspaper or on your computer -- find a list of objects hiding in the scenic photographs.

Lego Star Wars

Play through the entire Star Wars saga with adorable Lego renditions of Leia, Luke, Darth Vader and Chewbacca. Go at it solo or play cooperatively, working with a friend to solving puzzles and blast enemies into cute little Lego pieces while saving a galaxy far, far away.

No Caption Provided
The Sims

This people simulation game is one of the best-selling games of all time -- and we credit the laid back vibe for its success. Create a family and manage their lives (their home, jobs and overall happiness). For some reason, handling other people's lives is less stressful than dealing with our own.

Animal Crossing City Folk

This Wii game sets you down in a town inhabited by animals, and you decide what do to next. Should you run errands for the townsfolk to earn extra cash? Should you try to catch the a rare fish and donate it to the museum? We prefer to hit the beach and pick up shells -- it's almost as good as being there.

Nintendogs

Raise adorable puppies -- feed them, play with them, talk to them -- on your Nintendo DS. It's practically virtual Prozac.

fl0w

Pilot an aquatic organism though ethereal environments, where you consume other organisms and evolve as spa-ready instrumental tunes play in the background.

Catan (Xbox Live)

This Xbox Live game is a takeoff of a strategy board game where you -- as a world leader -- try to dominate the planet by building settlements, setting up a huge army, building big roads, and more. This game requires more brains than brawn, so despite the aggressive theme, it's a great way to relax.

No Caption Provided

Wii Fit Yoga

Yoga -- it's one of the most relaxing exercises in the world. Now you can do Yoga courtesy of Wii Fit, an exercise game for Nintendo's Wii console. Just follow the virtual instructor's directions on screen to find Nirvana.

World of Goo

This puzzle game is built around crafting structures using large balls of goo -- the end goal is to build the highest tower using goo collected while playing through the game. Stacking goo balls might sound gross, but it's one puzzle game we can't wait to play after a long day at school or the office.

Bejeweled

It's hard to find anyone who hasn't succumbed to the mesmerizing charm of Bejeweled, in its many forms. The game involves combining three or more gems of the same color to make them disappear, and more jewels fall down from the top of the screen. Play this on endless mode and let the cheery colors brighten your mood.”

That is all for now.  Anyone reading this please feel free to leave your comments, and I’ll see everyone soon.  To all my GiantBomb friends, have a great rest of the week!  Tireyo643 (AKA: "Ti" – Tie) out!! 

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Linkyshinks

I have a few of those games, I wonder if that says anything about me as a gamer today, I think it does. I have come to appreciate this kind of software very much now. These kind of games provide a welcome break from the other, more intense games I play.

Endless Ocean is great, I love kicking back while listening to MP3s and just swimming, sometimes aimlessly. I genuinely find it therapeutic. The same applies to picking weeds in AC, I find that Zen like, like clipping a Bonsai tree like Mr Miaggi.

Tiger Woods is great to play with friends,  I can see why that's included.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Tireyo

I like Tetris and the Sims.  They are pretty relaxing and fun to play.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

It's a very old article yet it lists just released PS3 games?

Anyway, that list needs more Endless Ocean.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Tireyo
Al3xand3r said:
"It's a very old article yet it lists just released PS3 games?Anyway, that list needs more Endless Ocean."

It's several months old, so it's kinda recent.  Some games were quite short on description.  Don't really know why, but that's just the way it is.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By natetodamax

Sport games are never relaxing, at least they aren't for me. If something goes wrong, especially in Tiger Woods, I get pissed. Seems more like an anger inducing game.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Tireyo
natetodamax said:
"Sport games are never relaxing, at least they aren't for me. If something goes wrong, especially in Tiger Woods, I get pissed. Seems more like an anger inducing game."
LOL, are you another Happy Gilmore?  Keep missing the ball or something and can't get it into the hole?
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crunchUK

i'd add test drive unlimited

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By grilledcheez

Uno on XBLA is the most relaxing game I've played :D

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I could not disagree more about The Sims. Lego Star Wars is questionable too. As for the others, from the ones I've played, I'll agree. I happen to find Vice City to be very relaxing, actually.

Avatar image for deactivated-61da50756e1e4
deactivated-61da50756e1e4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

viva pinata can be at times but at others it gets really intense.. oblivion is pretty relaxing when you play on the easiest setting, it was fun and easy playing threw the story on the easiest setting, maybe the pokemon games too, just grinding listening to the repetitive music...ahhh

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By natetodamax
Tireyo643 said:
"natetodamax said:
"Sport games are never relaxing, at least they aren't for me. If something goes wrong, especially in Tiger Woods, I get pissed. Seems more like an anger inducing game."
LOL, are you another Happy Gilmore?  Keep missing the ball or something and can't get it into the hole?"
"Yeah it is about time. I mean I just couldn't get the ball in the hole. I *wanted* to but I just couldn't do it." *punches you out*
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By TheGreatGuero
Champy said:
"viva pinata can be at times but at others it gets really intense.. oblivion is pretty relaxing when you play on the easiest setting, it was fun and easy playing threw the story on the easiest setting, maybe the pokemon games too, just grinding listening to the repetitive music...ahhh"
I think Viva Pinata and The Sims are two of the most demanding and stressful and time consuming games I have ever played.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tireyo
natetodamax said:
"Tireyo643 said:
"natetodamax said:
LOL, are you another Happy Gilmore?  Keep missing the ball or something and can't get it into the hole?"
"Yeah it is about time. I mean I just couldn't get the ball in the hole. I *wanted* to but I just couldn't do it." *punches you out*"
LOL!! :D

Champy said:
"viva pinata can be at times but at others it gets really intense.. oblivion is pretty relaxing when you play on the easiest setting, it was fun and easy playing threw the story on the easiest setting, maybe the pokemon games too, just grinding listening to the repetitive music...ahhh"

Oh, well.  We all have different opinions.  Even those jokers that wrote the article have opinions.

TheGreatGuero said:
"I could not disagree more about The Sims. Lego Star Wars is questionable too. As for the others, from the ones I've played, I'll agree. I happen to find Vice City to be very relaxing, actually. "

Sims ain't that bad.  I like making them slap each other silly. :P

GrilledCheez01 said:
"Uno on XBLA is the most relaxing game I've played :D"

The card game?  I'm asking because I don't have an XBOX360.

crunchUK said:
"i'd add test drive unlimited"

Not a bad selection really, I think that there may be too many games to list though.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By natetodamax

Aha, I love Happy Gilmore.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tireyo

TheGreatGuero:  The Sims can get stressful.  Perhaps build mode is the stress reliever part, and not the live mode where you need to keep them alive.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Jayge_

Catan is really, really fun.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Tireyo

natetodamax:  I like Adam Sander!  Happy Gilmore is one of my favorites out of his movies!

Jayge: Catan? Never heard of it!  What's it for?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By natetodamax

Oh wow, my sister plays Catan on my laptop for hours. Gets annoying after awhile.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tireyo
natetodamax said:
"Oh wow, my sister plays Catan on my laptop for hours. Gets annoying after awhile."

Do you ever get a break?
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By natetodamax
Tireyo643 said:
"natetodamax said:
"Oh wow, my sister plays Catan on my laptop for hours. Gets annoying after awhile."
Do you ever get a break?"
What do you mean?
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tireyo

natetodamax:  It was intended to be a joke. :D  I guess I got dry humor.

It seemed that she gets on your laptop alot to where you can't seem to get on it as you want to.  Probably my mistake.  If it is, sorry.  My humor stinks.

figmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By figmo
animal crossing  is a relaxing after a nightmarish day at the office.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Tireyo

figmo: I heard it was good.  Having technical difficulties?

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RetroIce4

Why does Tertris stress me out so much? I got pissed if I start losing... *sigh* For me it would be like Super Smash Bros.

insanegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By insanegamer

great read i agree about flower that can be relaxing. tetris is relaxing but i think all games are relaxing or they relax me anyway.  i don't find the sims relaxing it find it very stressful, tp keep your dude happy its very stressful.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By Claude

I love World of Goo, but I don't relax while playing it. My tower of Goo could fall over at any moment... NOOOOO!!!

I've always wanted to try Endless Ocean, relax and learn... Cool, here fishy fishy.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By penguindust
Tiger Woods PGA Tour?  Not for me.  Golf games never relax me, be it Tiger Woods, Hot Shots, or (jigglefest) Outlaw Golf.  In fact, I don't think there are any games that relax me.  If a game has a goal, task to complete, or some method of scoring then I'm going to get tense as I play.  It may not start out that way, but eventually, it ends with me saying, "Screw it, I've had enough."  Then I pout.

There are games, however, which induce a Zen-like state.  Games which place me "in the zone" which is a kind of calm where muscles act without thinking.  The mind is then left free to enjoy the pretty light show.   Shooters from the 2600 days like MegaMania up to the 360's Geometry Wars do this for me.  It isn't something that happens every time.  Often, I end up just as frustrated as I would be with any game, but on occasion, everything goes perfect, the stars align, and I become one with the universe...for a few minutes at least.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Tireyo

Wheww!! Ok here we go!!!!

Retroice4: LOL!  Having the amusement of seeing others in danger that is virtual a stress reliever? I do get that kind of amusement too!  :D

insanegamer: Yep, live mode on the sims is stressful, but build mode isn't that bad I think.

Claude: You like World of Goo!!  Have you beat it yet?

PenguinDust: Looks like we have another Happy Gilmore!  And you do have a point there on the space games!

All: Ya'll know what , I thought Art Style: Orbient would be on the list!  Looks pretty relaxing, yet kinda boring.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Claude

World of Goo

I haven't beat it yet, but I'm stuck on one puzzle and I don't want to cheat. I might have to look it up on gamefaqs. I just can't seem to get past it. I still love the game, but I just take my time with it, plus there is some replay value for the puzzles you have already beat; better your score, OCD and whatnot. OCD scores are hard to get. You should try it, I think you would like it. You can download the demo on your PC, I don't think it takes a fast machine to run it.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Marzy

I found Lostwinds really relaxing, the combat elements weren't too frantic and the music was nice and relaxing.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Tireyo

Claude: Ok, I'll look into it.

Marzy: I heard bad things about Lostwinds.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Al3xand3r

What? WHAT? WHAT BAD THINGS? It's incredible. A little on the short side, but that seems to be the trend even with full retail titles. Lost Winds is just beautiful in every way.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By shadows_kill

im sorta surprised that little big planet wasnt on the list :/ but tetris seems to be the only game on that list that i actualy liked playing.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Tireyo

Al3xand3r:  I heard that eventhough it had beautiful visuals, it was too short.

shadows_kill: Might be too many games to list to be considered as relaxing.  Tetris is fun, and I think that everyone should play Tetris at least once to try it out.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By mracoon

I find Burnout Paradise relaxing. Just driving around the city just to look around is a real stress reliever.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Claude
Tireyo643 said:
"Al3xand3r:  I heard that eventhough it had beautiful visuals, it was too short.

LostWinds took me about 5 hours to complete and it was worth every penny. The gameplay was fluid and the premise sublime. The soundtrack was great and really put you in the mood... of wind lost. I played it twice, so I got about 9 hours of game time out of it.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Tireyo

Claude: I like games that have more substance to it.  You know, something that you can come back to easily.  Once I play a game once, it's hard to go back to it again.

mracoon: I know that this has nothing to do with anything, but I like seeing a city at night because you can see all the colorful lights.  I don't live in the city, but I have went though one at night.  It was absolutely awesome! :D

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Al3xand3r

The price of Lost Winds is proportionate to the game length though. It may be shorter than the average, but being a WiiWare title it's also much, much cheaper. You aren't paying $50 for those 5 hours. I'm just sad we don't have a sequel yet, then it would be 10 hours total (so like an average game) and still cost less than a full retail title.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Tireyo

al3xand3r: I still feel that the time to complete and the price tag on Lost Winds is still a rip off.  Some of the Virtual Console games, in my opinion, have much more value and more bang for your buck; and, they can be less expensive and may even last longer depending on what you get.