Avatar image for arthursunderland
ArthurSunderland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ArthurSunderland

Well guys, I created a thread about disturbing moments in gaming sometime ago, and it seems that many of you liked it. It was very fun indeed, and I enjoyed seeing what made you guys really scared! So, this time, I wanna know what games made you sad, depressed... hell, have you ever cried during a specific moment in any game? Wich one? I admit it, I did cry sometimes. I'm not ashamed of that, really...!

Anyway, post your experiences with these kinds of games, or, a specific moment in a game that wasn't that sad in its entirety! If possible, share with us a video of that scene, that would be nice.
I hope you guys like this thread, and have fun! (:

Let me start it. ^^

Well... I never thought I could be so depressed by just a conversation in a game. I think you all know that Silent Hill 2 is really gloomy and sad and the way until the end, but this was one of those particular scenes who did leave a big impression on me. I cried at the time, and when I watch it, it still brings tears to my eyes. It is that powerful.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Akeldama

Metal Gear Solid 3's ending. Cliched answer, but it was a hell of an ending...

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ
NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By NathHaw

@Akeldama said:

That was a good one.

...and for it's time I'm gonna throw in the obligatory Aeris scene. Don't think it made me cry or anything like that, but my jaw was on the floor.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By IBurningStar
@Akeldama said:

It is only cliche because everyone agrees that it is sad as fuck. 

A lot of what happens at the end of Red Dead Redemption was pretty depressing.  Oh, and speaking of Silent Hill, the scene where Lisa comes to terms with what she really is and just wants Harry to hold her is kind of a bummer as well.
Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Clonedzero

Gears 2 when you find maria.
i mean wasnt the saddest but it was pretty messed up

Avatar image for arthursunderland
ArthurSunderland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ArthurSunderland
@IBurningStar: Hell yeah, the Lisa scene was a tough watch for me. The track that plays during it, "Not Tomorrow", just makes things even saddest. Damn you Silent Hill series and your tearjerker cutscenes.
InsidiousTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By InsidiousTuna

The last 4 hours or so of RDR was beautiful and moving, and I imagine plenty of people here have similar feelings about a few choice moments in Persona 4.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bybeach

From Metal Gear Evolved...whoops, Substance on, I always feared Octagon loosing his shit. I was the happiest person in the world when in MGS4 he said he had no more tears to shed. I said THANK GAWWWWWD!!!.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Maajin

The first time I played the Overlord DLC for Mass Effect 2, I was on a full Renegade run. That ending is sad and disturbing enough on its own, but taking the renegade route there really messed with me, I kept thinking on it and feeling bad for days.

Also, the ending of Half-Life 2: Episode 2 almost had me in tears.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NathHaw

@bybeach said:

From Metal Gear Evolved...whoops, Substance on, I always feared Octagon loosing his shit. I was the happiest person in the world when in MGS4 he said he had no more tears to shed. I said THANK GAWWWWWD!!!.

I may have stood and applauded at that moment. One of the reasons I didn't like MGS2 was the stupid, stupid Otacon crying. Ugh!

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Silent Hill 3.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King

Go ahead and pick any of the memory items in Fragile Dreams. Prepare to weep as you hear how a dictionary or a photo can be turned into a dying person's unsung regrets.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By project343

@Akeldama said:

This.

Closely followed by the murdering of your entire party toward the end of an evil KOTOR playthrough.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PeasantAbuse

The "end" of RDR was pretty sad.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iam3green

what other people said, metal gear solid 3 ending. 

heavy rain if you dont' do good is also a sad ending.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zippedbinders

"Snake has had ... a hard life... " and Tobi's "death" in Okami are two that quickly spring to memory. 

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheFreeMan
kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kingzetta

disaster report 1 is really depressing actually

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By crusader8463

The day I finally got to play Dragon Age 2 and realized that it was a physical manifestation of the developers of said game taking a giant steaming shit on the first Dragon Age game, all the fans of Origins, and all the time and work that went into its creation.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By uniform

Lost Odyssey, and I mean a lot of Lost Odyssey moments.

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TwilitEnd656

@Video_Game_King said:

Go ahead and pick any of the memory items in Fragile Dreams. Prepare to weep as you hear how a dictionary or a photo can be turned into a dying person's unsung regrets.

I still have to get through that game. Still. It's just... It can be such a downer sometimes. D=

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By Marz
Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's a bit long, but it's mostly the first section of this that was really emotional if you played through the game. Also HL2: EP2 ending goes without saying.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By crusader8463
NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NathHaw

@TheFreeMan said:

Also, that part at the end of Super Metroid. You know which one.

Awww. Yeah. Remember the musical buildup. One of the greatest games ever.

cornwalliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cornwalliz

@FluxWaveZ: Same thing happened to me

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By Marz
RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RobotHamster
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#30  Edited By Hailinel

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the part in the A Ending path of Valkyrie Profile when Lenneth regains her lost memories.

This is incredibly long and still doesn't cover every last detail, but the context is important to the moment. I'm sorry.

The scene is just heartbreaking. The game opens with a prologue seemingly unrelated to the main narrative, with a poor, abused peasant girl named Platina who is beaten by her parents and about to be sold into slavery when her only friend Lucian takes her away from the village. However, she dies shortly thereafter when they accidentally stumble into a field of flowers with toxic pollen.

For most of the rest of the game, you play as Lenneth, a recently awakened Valkyrie who must perform her duties in collecting the souls of warriors to fight in Ragnarok. Along the way, one of the souls she encounters is a grown Lucian, who senses an odd familiarity in Lenneth. After he's sent to Asgard, he still can't get Lenneth out of her mind and suspects that she might be Platina. Loki tricks him into using one of Odin's sacred artifacts to contact her and present her with an earring. Lenneth, however, becomes enraged that Lucian would break the rules so callously and cuts him off after receiving the gift. Lucian then discovers Loki's treachery and dies fighting him.

As the A-ending kicks into high gear, Lenneth puts on the earring and regains all of her lost memories. She remembers her days as a human with Lucian, and as a result, Odin and Freya, whom Lenneth had until them presumed were her loyal allies and retainers, attempt to kill her and give the Valkyrie body to her more ruthless sister, Hrist.

After a brief struggle by Lenneth's allies to defeat Hrist and recover the body, Lenneth's soul is returned to the Valkyrie vessel, and when she awakens, she freaks the hell out and returns to the meadow where Hrist had discarded the earring. It's agonizing to watch when she realizes that she had blown off the one person in the realms of gods and mortals that ever cared one bit about her and she can't take it back.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#31  Edited By Sooperspy
@PeasantAbuse said:
The "end" of RDR was pretty sad.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By crusader8463
@Marz: Sorry, I forget that some people enjoy being the douche bag that spoil stories for others. Carry on.
Avatar image for saffronrevolution
SaffronRevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

I can list plenty of moments in games that are supposed to be depressing or emotionally involved that end up overreaching themselves.

I won't overreach, myself, and list them. The Maria scene in Gears of War 2 is the premier example of the unmediated desire and envy most games and their developers have for rich and ponderous narratives. Unfortunately, Gears of War 2 manages to make authentic emotion it's rival rather than be it's disciple.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#34  Edited By MightyDuck

The end of RDR was quite a bummer.  I'll have to agree with some of the others that mentioned it.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Nottle

Anything I Involving Otacon in a third act of any Metal Gear Solid he appears in. Someone he loves always dies. I was actually just playing MGS4 act 4 earlier. God damn he is a tragic character.  Every character has a tragic moment in that series though. I feel bad for all of them except maybe Fatman.

Numerous moments in FF6.  Some moments in 4 and 7 are pretty moving as well. 

Mother 2 and 3 have some pretty powerful moments in them. I don't want to say anything specific, but people should play those games. 
 Oh and how can I forget, RDR and.... did anyone ever do the sun social link in Persona 3. That guy is just dying, and its so sad. It mirrored the state of thing near the endgame for me and I thought it was very fitting.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Tsoglani

The end of Snake Eater for mine also. 

Perhaps surprisingly, I also found God of War to have depressing parts, especially where you see Kratos slaughter his family. And to continue with God of War, was it Chains of Olympus or the Ghost of Sparta, where Kratos chases his daughter Caliope around in the Eleuysian Fields; just something about the whole environment, and the concept of a father losing his daughter and then seemingly has her within his grasp again. It is a scene that tugged at the heartstrings.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

The whole Duke Nukem Forever campaign and I'm being super serious.

Ksaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ksaw

In GTA 4 I initially made the decision to kill dwayne. I thought about how dwayne had asked Nico to take back his strip club without first informing him that the club now belonged to associates of Playboy x. It seemed like a deliberate and manipulative omission of information on dwayne's part, and while playboy was a total scumbag, he hadn't lied to Nico up to that point. Not to mention that playboy seemed to hold more influence over the city and would therefore be a more powerful ally as I progressed through the story.

Upon making my decision to kill dwayne, I went over to dwayne's shitty apartment, disposed of the single friend he had left to protect him ( a homeless looking guy armed only with a baseball bat ) and listened to Dwayne lament about how everyone he knew had betrayed him, right before shooting him in the back of the head. Not long after, I received a call from Playboy informing me that he would have nothing to do with me from that point on. It was the only time I've ever felt legitimately bad about a decision I've made in a game. In fact I felt so bad about it that I sacrificed about four hours of playtime to go back to an old save so I could kill Playboy instead of Dwayne.

Gildermershina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Gildermershina

I was weirdly moved by one moment in FFIX, somewhere off the beaten track - when you find Vivi's grandpa's cave...

There's a bunch of height markings on the wall, from when Vivi was growing up with his beloved grandpa Quan, one of those big clownish gluttons like Quina, and one of them markings has a note that reads "Vivi at six weeks. Still too small to eat." I don't think Vivi ever reads it, so he doesn't know that his adoptive grandpa at one time planned to eat him.

To be fair that game has a lot of really existential stuff in it that really resonated with me as a 15 year old, with a fair chunk of plot devoted to manufactured beings that basically live for a set amount of time and then simply "stop". Also some pathos in the fact that Vivi, a child, was obsessed with his own mortality.

Also ultra bummed out by a moment in Limbo, which I played for the first time recently:

When that spider is literally down to one last useless leg and you heartlessly pull it off and roll its helpless body along into a spike pit so you can jump over to the next section.
NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NathHaw

@Nottle said:

did anyone ever do the sun social link in Persona 3. That guy is just dying, and its so sad. It mirrored the state of thing near the endgame for me and I thought it was very fitting.

Yeah, that one was one of my favorites. He was such a smart guy. Kinda deserving of an arm punch at times, but yeah.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mmmslash

The moment in Shadow of the Colossus where... 

The bit of Silent Hill 2 where...   
In Red Dead Redemption where... 
The end of Crisis Core where... 
In The Darkness where... 

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MariachiMacabre

The end of FFX where

You realize that no matter how hard they fought and the things they accomplished, Titus was never meant to exist at all. Not sure why, but after playing that game for roughly 165 hours, watching that ending made me tear up.
solidejake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By solidejake

Metal Gear Solid 4 takes the cake, and eats it too.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By NathHaw

@solidejake said:

If you mean it ate away a lot of time without a worthy payoff, I agree.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Zippedbinders
@Mmmslash:  For that part in The Darkness it really wasn't sad or depressing. It was unmitigated rage. I wanted Uncle Paulie and I wanted him dead. 
solidejake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By solidejake
@nrh79 said:

@solidejake said:

If you mean it ate away a lot of time without a worthy payoff, I agree.

I think it's safe to assume if I meant that, I would have said something at least remotely similar. But did I? If you think I did not, I agree.
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By mylifeforAiur
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Second playthrough of Nier is one of the most aggressively depressing times with a game you can have. And the first playthrough isn't exactly a dance on roses either.

If you're up for even more punishment, there's an even more depressing third and fourth ending waiting for you.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By NathHaw

@solidejake: I was joking. A friendly mention I would call it. MGS4's ending was so long-winded and...well, Kojima. I look forward to his future works. MGS3 is one of my favorite games.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#50  Edited By Jeust
@Mmmslash said:
The moment in Shadow of the Colossus where... 
The bit of Silent Hill 2 where...   
In Red Dead Redemption where... 
The end of Crisis Core where... 
In The Darkness where... 

All of these, plus: 

• Lost Odyssey, especially the short stories. There are some really moving ones.
  • Deadly Premonition, the ending. It was disturbingly sad.
  • Silent Hill 4, the last level. The music, the story, made for a very sad ending.
  • Nier, just before the final bout. Understanding the scope of everything, and how everything went down was just heartbreaking.