The PACHTER's Take on The Xbox Rumors (The Pach Attack)

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By bigjeffrey

The dude either knocks down some rumors, or using his logic to confirm some rumors.

Although i find some of his positivity bias seeing as GT is part of Spike and they will be streaming the Xbox Event

I thought this dude made tons of sense.

GET PACHTED

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

pachter kinda bums me out...

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By FengShuiGod

Man, he really nailed the X-box always connected thing.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By joshthebear

Pachter gonna Pacht...

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JayEH

He really went into "I don't give a fuck" mode this episode haha. Especially when he was talking about trading in your 360.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Green_Incarnate
triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By triple07

That last rumor was pretty fucking stupid. Always love watching Pach-attack. Such an interesting dude.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bigjeffrey
Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It took me a while to like his show. And this episode was just great. Sony is 6 months behind you know? Valve too.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't heard the rumor of a Xbox 360 mini that can attach to the next Xbox and I'm surprised Pachter thinks it will be a 100% certainty, it seems silly and a waste of money to me. I'll agree that there is a good chance that Respawn's next gen game will be a timed exclusive for Microsoft as being tied to one console with an initially small install base might not be in EA's best interest financially.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Winternet

Pachter is da man. Whatever that means.

Edit: Haha, he is always entertaining to watch. Though it seems he has got the always-connected thing wrong. But, we'll see.

MeganeAgain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MeganeAgain

I've heard of Pach Attack, but this has been my first time watching it. Anyway, I think Pachter did a good job of evaluating these rumors. He's provided strong reasoning for each prediction.

And lol, Kotaku on blast.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't help but feel like it's his trolly side that's perpetuating the always online rumor.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe I'm on my own here but over the years it seems to me that he gets lots of things wrong.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

Great episode. I also love that he openly has that DmC art in the background of his office.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Kotaku writes shit like that and people clicks on it?"

Perfect

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love how he called out Kotaku, that was quite entertaining.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@turambar said:

"Kotaku writes shit like that and people clicks on it?"

Perfect

Well if there is one thing Pachter knows, its link bait.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RE_Player1

Even if you disagree with the guy on things you have to admit there is a charm to him. Love this new kind of rapid fire show format. He should do it more often.

EDIT: You should link to the actual Gametrailers page instead of a random youtube upload. Show's like this, Giant Bomb, or any content in general can't keep going if people subvert the ads and page views.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By Deranged

Ha, I'd have to agree with him on most points regarding the "Xbox Mini". I am personally going to purchase the Next Xbox, don't really give two shits about being "always connected" because honestly, what isn't constantly connected in today's world? Secondly, if I continually want to play 360 games, I'll just plug in my 360... For those complaining about backwards compatibility, keep your damn console and stop whining. We all know you'll get next to nothing for trading in your 360/PS3 and once the next consoles hit, good luck with trying to sell your current console for anything substantial.

Just my two cents.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21  Edited By veektarius

@arabes: I enjoy his show except for when he gets worked up about fan entitlement - I definitely feel like he makes some predictions specifically to piss off people who watch his show. At the same time, I think you're right; a lot of the predictions he makes come out wrong. I would imagine that in general these predictions are not quite the same (in type or detail) as the ones he makes big bucks for passing on to investors.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EXTomar

It has never been a problem that devices are "always online". The issue has always been most of the stuff connect to your TV work by being "net aware" which is wholly different than "always online". Hell even Roku, Boxee, and Apple TV have features and functionality that work without the Internet because as it turns out most people arrange their house to have Internet in "the office" while it is poor or unavailable in "the family room".

I view the whole thing again like Kinect. On paper it sounds like neat technology but in practical execution it is far from perfect and often times tricky or even undesirable. People use the free space in front of their TV where buying a device that says "For best results, make free space in front of the TV" is not going to work well for many people. In a 1500 sq/ft house getting the wireless to be stable all the way over to the TV might be a trick where asking the family to make sacrifices for the XBox is as reasonable as suggesting they rearrange the living room to play Kinect Adventures. It is not impossible or tricky but it is also not "automatic" or some might not even want to buy other pieces of hardware or re-setup other pieces to make it work.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcderby4: I think he's looking at the Mini thing from totally the wrong angle. If there's an attachment for backwards compatibility through the new console, it'll be a luxury item and a space saver, not a way for poor gamers to cut costs.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcderby4: I agree on the backwards compatibility thing. I don't want to sound like an elitist or some snobby rich guy but if you need to sell your older console to mitigate $100 or so off the price of a next gen machine maybe you should evaluate your finances.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AlexW00d

I wondered why there was a single worded capitalised in the thread title then I realised it must be a BigJeffrey thread.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he's looking at the Mini thing from totally the wrong angle. If there's an attachment for backwards compatibility through the new console, it'll be a luxury item and a space saver, not a way for poor gamers to cut costs.

I'm not really seeing how it's a space saver at all though. Your 360 is just sitting there, you have everything set to go, games and all. Wasting another $100 or whatever the cost may be to play games that are already accessible at no additional cost makes zero sense to me.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ares42

@mcderby4 said:

@veektarius said:

I think he's looking at the Mini thing from totally the wrong angle. If there's an attachment for backwards compatibility through the new console, it'll be a luxury item and a space saver, not a way for poor gamers to cut costs.

I'm not really seeing how it's a space saver at all though. Your 360 is just sitting there, you have everything set to go, games and all. Wasting another $100 or whatever the cost may be to play games that are already accessible at no additional cost makes zero sense to me.

Backwards compatability isn't really there to sell consoles to people who bought your last console. The main draw of backwards compatability is that a new customer can buy a launch console with both the promise of great games to come and a rich library of games they never played before. As someone who recently bought a Wii U (while never owning a Wii) the backwards compatability is one of the bigger reasons why it's been worth the purchase.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcderby4: Just because you didn't trade in your 360 (or maybe you did? As I said, it's not necessarily a question of value proposition) doesn't mean that it's sharing space in your entertainment center with your blu-ray player, cable box, and whatever the hell else you have in there. If you only have room (or only want to use room) in front of your TV for the most recent set of consoles but don't want to lose the option of backwards compatibility, a small (ideally very small) attachment to your new XBox that allows for that would have some utility to you over a full machine.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42: That's a great point. I hadn't considered it but yeah, that was a big selling point for the PS2, back in the day, and would potentially be a selling point for the PS4 next generation (though I guess they aren't doing backwards compatibility) since I didn't have a PS3.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those complaining about backwards compatibility, keep your damn console and stop whining. We all know you'll get next to nothing for trading in your 360/PS3 and once the next consoles hit, good luck with trying to sell your current console for anything substantial.

Yeah, thats why im still holding and will finally buy a PS3 once the PS4 is out, get it for dirt cheap and a whole bunch of games for those trying to fund their PS4 money.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42 said:

Backwards compatability isn't really there to sell consoles to people who bought your last console. The main draw of backwards compatability is that a new customer can buy a launch console with both the promise of great games to come and a rich library of games they never played before. As someone who recently bought a Wii U (while never owning a Wii) the backwards compatability is one of the bigger reasons why it's been worth the purchase.

And I completely understand that as new customers are fully willing to dish out some extra cash to play some games they possibly never had a chance to before. But my point is, the addition of this "mini Xbox attachment" is more of a complaint made by the gamers already in possession of an Xbox 360 rather than the newer customers who might've never had a 360 and want to experience some backwards compatibility. I for one don't really care as I'll keep my Xbox 360 and still buy the next-gen Xbox, but most of the time, gamers would get angry and complain that it's just Microsoft's attempt at another money grab.

Just because you didn't trade in your 360 (or maybe you did? As I said, it's not necessarily a question of value proposition) doesn't mean that it's sharing space in your entertainment center with your blu-ray player, cable box, and whatever the hell else you have in there. If you only have room (or only want to use room) in front of your TV for the most recent set of consoles but don't want to lose the option of backwards compatibility, a small (ideally very small) attachment to your new XBox that allows for that would have some utility to you over a full machine.

No I have not traded in my 360 nor do I have any plans to do so but I can see what you're getting at.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Benny

PACHTER GOIN' IN HARD.

Got a couple genuine chuckles out of me saying people buying mini xboxes are dumb shits and talking a bunch of mess about kotaku.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By Sergio

I pretty much disregard anything he says after he claimed the next Xbox has already won, sight-unseen.

Edit: Crap, watching it, I have to agree with the contents of this video, especially the last part.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually really awesome. I didn't think he was such a cool guy. Sometimes his predictions are a little whacked but this was kind of spot on. Except I don't really agree about the Xbox Mini thing. I will probably get one at some point because I simply don't want to keep connecting/disconnecting my 360 (only have a few HDMI/Power plugs) and in case my 360 some day dies. (Never heard of a Slim dying as of yet though)

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Maaaaan Pac be trolling in this episode hard core. That was pretty great I like seeing him actually be honest like this.