The quest from inverted to normal

• 62 results
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

So, I've played inverted for about as long as I could remember. I think it started with golden eye, and was solidified with Halo.

However, after years and years of playing this way, I want to see if I can relearn and learn how to play just using normal. I'm kinda tired whenever I play that I have to invert the y axis and it makes playing games locally with friends passing around a controller a pain.

Every time I've tried playing normal it feel like a gear is stuck and won't shift in my head.

Is it a easy feat you think to unlearn about 16 years of muscle memory, though? Would you see yourself being able to do a similar thing .

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@raven_sword: But why would you unlearn how to do something right in order to do it the wrong way!

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#3 sgtsphynx  Moderator

@humanity said:

@raven_sword: But why would you unlearn how to do something right in order to do it the wrong way!

Seriously.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By bigjeffrey

It's called Normal for a reason. Inverted Sheeple. hurry and cleanse your body and mind from that terribly wrong control method.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Traitor. Traitor! How dare you betray us inverters! Get him!

Loading Video...

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Leave the inverters will ya? Get a rope!

We'll hang you down until you are 6 feet above!

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So, I've played inverted for about as long as I could remember. I think it started with golden eye, and was solidified with Halo.

However, after years and years of playing this way, I want to see if I can relearn and learn how to play just using normal. I'm kinda tired whenever I play that I have to invert the y axis and it makes playing games locally with friends passing around a controller a pain.

Every time I've tried playing normal it feel like a gear is stuck and won't shift in my head.

Is it a easy feat you think to unlearn about 16 years of muscle memory, though? Would you see yourself being able to do a similar thing .

I played with inverted since the early 80s, early 2010s I unlearned it and now I'm a happier person. It can be done!

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By bacongames
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The inverters will not forget this..

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best way to explain the difference between wrong inverted and normal style is this:

Inverted players view camera movement as moving the characters head while normal players view it as moving the characters eyes. If you can break yourself of the stupid "I'm moving this head!" and instead recognize that you are controlling a camera that functions as a pair of eyes the easier it'll be to break out of your funk.

Jazz_Bcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My flatmate managed to learn normal and I don't really know how. I try and play inverted sometimes to repay the favour and I've got better, but I still don't really invest much effort into it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By mike

@raven_sword said:

Is it a easy feat you think to unlearn about 16 years of muscle memory, though?

Is this a serious post? Why don't you just start writing left-handed while you're at it.

I don't understand why anyone would spend time even thinking about such a thing, let alone actually atempting it.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was in the same boat some years back. I used inverted controls for Golden Eye, Halo, and any number of other FPS. I can't remember the exact game that got me to switch over, but it was a game that didn't offer an inverted option. For a while your brain will seem resistant to your movements any time you want to adjust the y-axis, but after a while it'll flop around enough to get used to it, and you'll never look back.

I don't think trying to adjust how you approach the camera movement by rationalizing what you're controlling (head vs eyes) is what's going to trigger your brain to make the switch. It really just takes repetition.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I found FF XII's camera to be nearly impossible to get used to for the first few hours (it's inverted with no way to change it for some fucking reason), but I definitely got used to it after a while and it even kinda screwed up other games for me for a while because I was so used to playing inverted......so I mean, maybe it won't actually be that hard for you? Also, maybe going from inverted to normal is even easier than normal to inverted. Or maybe not, I dunno.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to be a filthy inverter, I can't remember why I changed, but I did so maybe about 10 or more years ago. I recall the transition being very quick and easy, but maybe that's outside the norm. I dunno, I tend to be quite quick to adapt to changing things like that, so I could be wrong, but I feel like if you just play something non inverted, you'll pick it up quickly enough.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Humanity

@damodar said:

I used to be a filthy inverter, I can't remember why I changed, but I did so maybe about 10 or more years ago. I recall the transition being very quick and easy, but maybe that's outside the norm. I dunno, I tend to be quite quick to adapt to changing things like that, so I could be wrong, but I feel like if you just play something non inverted, you'll pick it up quickly enough.

Watch your back at night.. filthy normal

No Caption Provided

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Seriously.

Seriously seriously.

Jazz_Bcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jazz_Bcaz

@mb: Because we're blessed with human dexterity and intelligence? It can be done fairly quickly, and there's very little reason not to if you're sick of changing the settings in every game.

I wouldn't equate it to writing with a non-dominant hand either, and I also wouldn't recommend that.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By HH

@oldirtybearon said:

The best way to explain the difference between wrong inverted and normal style is this:

Inverted players view camera movement as moving the characters head while normal players view it as moving the characters eyes. If you can break yourself of the stupid "I'm moving this head!" and instead recognize that you are controlling a camera that functions as a pair of eyes the easier it'll be to break out of your funk.

don't eyes tilt back to see up the same way a head does?

back for up is how rotating bodies are controlled in the real world, let's see how y'all cope in a helicopter emergency with your "normal" conditioning. smash straight into the ground, that's how, while the rest of us laugh our asses off, obviously.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

totally possible, it won't even take that long. I did it around the time I got an xbox360 and started playing GoW.

Then, around 3 years later when I went back to playing PC shooters with a mouse I WENT BACK. Now I'm 100% inverted, all the time, controllers and mouse. Guys, it just feels right.

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@tourgen said:

totally possible, it won't even take that long. I did it around the time I got an xbox360 and started playing GoW.

Then, around 3 years later when I went back to playing PC shooters with a mouse I WENT BACK. Now I'm 100% inverted, all the time, controllers and mouse. Guys, it just feels right.

Inverted mouse? I think both inverted controller and normal controller folks can both agree you're a monster.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xyzygy

I used inverted as a kid but then I think I played a game where there was no option to change it from normal so I changed to normal. That was like 1 years ago haha. It takes all of 15 minutes, it's not a lengthy process.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I'm happy to say I'm inver...dextrix? In any case while I prefer normal, I can surprisingly easily adapt to inverted. Hell, even the wretched horizontal invert I can (just about) manage. Fortunately in this day and age I pretty much never need to.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mijati said:

@tourgen said:

Inverted mouse? I think both inverted controller and normal controller folks can both agree you're a monster.

Back in 1998-1999 it was widely known that playing inverted made you aim better in Counter-Strike.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven_sword: i have a copy of Silent Hill Homecoming for probably 5 years that i haven't played because they don't have proper inverted controls... Lets just say I'm expecting a update before i give in and play it. I shouldn't have to play wrong to play that game!! I guess that might actually be the scariest part of that game!

Just think of it a team of developers all playing the wrong way lol.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it was mostly I'm growing tired of switching settings all the time.

Thedrbrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hh said:

@oldirtybearon said:

back for up is how rotating bodies are controlled in the real world, let's see how y'all cope in a helicopter emergency with your "normal" conditioning. smash straight into the ground, that's how, while the rest of us laugh our asses off, obviously.

Pilotmasterrace chiming in. Pull back to go up and make the houses smaller. Push forward to go down and make the houses bigger. Push either way to much and it switches.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HH

@thedrbrian: damn, really? well i guess it's no surprise none of us would in fact fare too well in a helicopter emergency, but that seems like some cheap-ass bullshit, push one way too much and it switches function? imagine they tried to get away with that in a souls game, heads would roll. i guess they take things a bit less seriously in the world of flying aircraft.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

F that, I'm inverted and DAMN PROUD OF IT.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ripelivejam

@humanity said:

TROOF

PREACH IT

YOUR FRIENDSSHOULD HAVE TO CHANGE FOR YOU

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Ummmm, does anyone move just their eyes to look around? If you were walking around with a gun you wouldn't just use your eyes. Nope, inverted makes more sense.

I also invert X Axis. Double inverted

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Giant Bomb-ness of this thread is delightful.

You pull down to make something that is flying go up. You push up to make a character you're walking around look towards the sky.

It's all context dependent. Anybody that picks one side of this fight is shitty at video games.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@oldirtybearon said:

Ummmm, does anyone move just their eyes to look around? If you were walking around with a gun you wouldn't just use your eyes. Nope, inverted makes more sense.

I also invert X Axis. Double inverted

You're missing the point. The difference between normal and inverted controls is purely psychological. Whichever "feels" right entirely depends on how you rationalize camera movement in a first person game. I personally view it as moving my characters "eyes" and so I push up to look up, and down to look down. Whether or not it's technically correct in terms of how human eyes actually work is irrelevant. It's about perception, and for the majority of people the perception is we don't "look down" to look up.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it a flight sim? No? Then up should be up.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I prefer inverted but I can play normal after about 5 minutes of fumbling around. Maybe that's just me though. I'm also a switch hitter, a mongo skater and shoot left in hockey but right in golf, so I'm all sorts on non standard.

Good luck with being able to make the switch, but I'm not sure why you'd want to or need to.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hh said:

@oldirtybearon said:

I hope you invert both x and y axes, otherwise your argument is some hot garbage ;)

Neither preference is "right" or "wrong." They're both just styles people have gotten used to.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You shouldn't let the invertiphobes tell you how to live. You were born that way! Celebrate it!

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bacongames

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#39  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I did do it. Back when I played Mass Effect for the first time I accidentally switched the controls to inverted vertically, and from that point forward I was stuck inverting every game I played. By the time I figured out how to fix it, I had already put too much time into Mass Effect and gotten used to the camera being inverted. It was too difficult to try and go back. So for the last 6 or 7 years I've played every game inverted on the x axis (Up and down) while the y (side to side) was normal. So sometime last year I picked up the Kingdom hearts hd remake. I started the game and messed with the settings to try and change it to my play style. One thing led to another and after five or ten minutes of trying to get the camera right I wasn't able to set it to my normal level of inversion. At least where it felt right. That game is notorious for an awful camera, but I wanted to replay the game, so I made myself get used to it.

Once I finished playing the game and subsequently tried to play an Fps, I ended up reverting back to normal x axis and now my muscle memory was accounting for the y axis being inverted. MADNESS. At this point I had already gone through the process of making myself get used to a new control scheme, so I chose to set everything to normal. From that point forward I've not inverted any games I play and my muscle memory reset. So if it was possible for me to switch back after being used to inversion for 7 years anyone can do it.

Either way, I've never understood the dogma of which way a person sets their camera being the right way. Do whatever you want. We all play video games and that's already a niche. I don't see a reason to further isolate the fandom than it already is.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Dr. Slaps is gonna write a prescription for you @raven_sword. I want you to take a light dosage of normal controls during a Call of Duty campaign on the second hardest difficulty. Take one level a day for a week, or until you beat the game. It's very important that you don't play any games with inverted controls in the mean time. We don't want you relapsing. This should fix the problem. If it doesn't help, take some fiber pills. If the problem still persist, then come back to my office and we'll talk surgical solutions (most likely a kneecap enlargement procedure).

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inverted is super weird to me. I understand it, but my brain can't handle it. I use inverted for flying, but not looking. It's definitely interesting how different people use a controller. Do inverted people use a mouse that way too?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Humanity

@mooseymcman said:

No Caption Provided

Our brother @raven_sword is straying from the cause brothers. The social stigma, the pressure, the world is trying to take what is natural away from him. In this time of crisis he needs our support more than ever, to know that he's not the problem, his friends are the problem.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MooseyMcMan
@humanity said:

@bacongames said:
@mooseymcman said:

No Caption Provided

Our brother @raven_sword is straying from the cause brothers. The social stigma, the pressure, the world is trying to take what is natural away from him. In this time of crisis he needs our support more than ever, to know that he's not the problem, his friends are the problem.

I think we need to take a page from the LGBT community and create an Inverted Pride Flag. You know, a symbol that we can rally behind, and know that there are others out there like us. So we can stand tall, and united against the haters!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Humanity

@humanity said:

@bacongames said:
@mooseymcman said:

No Caption Provided

I think we need to take a page from the LGBT community and create an Inverted Pride Flag. You know, a symbol that we can rally behind, and know that there are others out there like us. So we can stand tall, and united against the haters!

and when he does finally come around I'll shake his hand, and to shake it up, I'll pull my hand down, like a real man does it.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I've already got some ideas for the Inverted Pride Flag, I'll make sure to keep everyone up to date once I've finished one. And, of course, others (by which I guess I just mean whoever finds this random post in this thread) are free to design their own! If I have more than one, I'll make a poll on GB to let the people decide which shall be our symbol.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whenever someone says they can 'get used to' either I feel like cracking their skull.

I can NOT for the life of me play any other way, I've tried desperately to do so because of how many old games have completely fucked up inconfigurable camera controls, it's infuriating how I can't simply make my mind work the way I need it to.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman: I made this earlier in the day - then again I was waiting to come home so I can watch the new Game of Thrones episode.

No Caption Provided

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Well, it's certainly well made, but I have two problems with it. The first is that it's a bit too graphic, what with the sword going through that...thing's head. And the second is that it doesn't really represent inverting the y-axis in a video game. Inverting isn't about being upside down, it's about up being down and down being up!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman: Yah for me the whole joke is that you're upside down. I had another idea of two knights fighting and one is simply upside down stabbing the other one. For some reason I always imagine this as a medieval banner

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I was thinking more along the lines of a very literal interpretation. Show a controller with a stick going down, and a first person shooter gun aiming up (with an arrow to indicate movement, given that it's a static image). Something along those lines.