Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

All JRPGs should

1)  Have a real time combat system
Turn based systems through menus are just too boring.  Usually too hard as well.

2) Star Real Men
Why is it that we're always playing as someone whose "discovering themselves" and usually is in the age range of 16-20 (well, in lost odyssey 1000, but whatever)

3) Be less anime
While there are jrpgs that aren't, I think it's well known that people just don't like to play as dumb cartoon characters

4) Be more generic
Because there's some weird consensus that makes any thought of japanese creativity generic and a dismissal of unoriginality in western games

5) Less swords, more steroids
I said it already, I like my big muscle men!  If they don't have roid-rage as a powerup, they're not suitable to be in a game

Super generic and gay!

Mega cool!

He's not interchangable!
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

1. Just played that part in Lost Odyssey where you have to juggle four arthrosauruses or however the hell you spell it. Turn based systems still rule, especially when you place some sort of time limit on them (like here).
2. Eh, good point. I guess the reason they still use that is because it's a very easy way to gradually build up character development.
3. Huh? Aren't most of the great video games filled with overly cartoon characters? Not anime necessarily, but you get the point.
4. I'm more of a magic man, but whatever, I see your point. (And I recommend you play Skullmonkeys, if you're into the whole roid thing.)

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By luce

anime is japans art style..thats like saying western rpgs should be more anime

thats their main style of drawing cartoons..why should they get rid of it unless they were trying to appeal to the west?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Brendan

Those are 100% subjective opinions and not at all possibly relatable to enough people to warrant being a must have feature (less swords???) but here's a good one for modern JRPG's: 

Your growing level is reflective in the actual combat you are viewing; for example, a character who uses a sword will have more moves or more stylish attacks as they level up, making the experience more visual then just numbers. 

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Brendan

And I've noticed that alot of your posts are very subjective in nature, but you seem to try to pass them off as objective, fact based arguments.  Your input is good, but you need to shift your style of writing a little.

Edit: I saw your second set of pictures just now, and am currently putting on a dunce cap. *sits in corner*

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King
SmugDarkLoser said:
All JRPGs should1)  Have a real time combat systemTurn based systems through menus are just too boring.  Usually too hard ... [more]
Really? Reminds me of a Cracked article.
Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Metroid545

These things are some of the aspects of JRPGs that make them JRPGs, sort of like their signum or watermark. If you remove these features you have just RPGs.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

(sarcasm)

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

I think he was being sarcastic this time, not just smug.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#10  Edited By TobyD81

Actually, I'm pretty down with turn-based combat right now (playing Valkyria Chronicles.) Sometimes I like a game that lets me slow down and take things at my own pace. Kinda like...Chess.

billcosby2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By billcosby2004

This was obviously sarcasm, but I can't really play anime style RPG's.  Just a personal preference, I guess.  Loved Lost Odyssey though, as long as they make them like that I hope JRPG's never change.

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

I actually vastly prefer turn based battle systems to real time ones. There's a fine line between real time combat and a button masher.

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

I know you are trying to be sarcastic, but 1-3 are totally right, and the first part of 5 is too.  Nothing bugs me more than when an RPG is set in a world with guns where there is no advantage with shooting a guy from far away versus hitting him with a sword close up.  Dumb.

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By auspiciousqueue

They should also have no need to actually play the game, you just watch it like one giant cut scene. 

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Brendan
@billcosby2004:
Really? I'd agree that the story of LO was awesome, but I found it's battles (and those of Blue Dragon's as well) to be far too sluggish and drawn out.  If LO's battles were snappier (especially the ingress and egress) I would have found it much more enjoyable.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King
auspiciousqueue said:
They should also have no need to actually play the game, you just watch it like one giant cut scene.  [more]
Huh? Something about this smells funny. *ignores smell, responds to post otherwise* You mean like Final Fantasy XII? Probably not a good idea.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Brendan
@Video_Game_King:
Whatever, FF12 ruled in my opinion, I loved it's run around gameplay:)  Of course, FF fans can be hard to please, as they went from complaining about FF12 "not being a FF game" from complaining about the franchise being lazy and not doing anything new. 
billcosby2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By billcosby2004
@Brendan:

Well, it might be different for me, as I hadn't gotten into a JRPG in a long time before LO.  So it was sort of the game that pulled me back into the genre, it reminded me of the old school FF and Chrono Trigger a little bit.  And yeah, it was the story that drew me in.  I had no problems with the combat myself, but would've loved it more had they made the 1000 year dream sequences into side quests or part of the main storyline or whatever.  Just made them playable in some fashion.   
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King
Brendan said:
@Video_Game_King: Whatever, FF12 ruled in my opinion, I loved it's run around gameplay:)  Of course, FF fans can be hard ... [more]
I have other complaints, but it not being an FF12 game is definitely one of them. Others include the pretentious/narcissist story and the complete lack of gameplay.
mean_cheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mean_cheez

The biggest problem I have with some of the latest JRPGs is the voice acting. I barely made it through Star Ocean 4's story and then sold it a few weeks later. It's the first game I can remember playing where I couldn't help but actively hate the main character for at least half the game.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By PureRok

I stopped reading at the first one since I disagree with it wholeheartedly. I decided I probably wouldn't agree with anything else.

What would be nice is if they all had a skill or option like in Dragon Quest 8's "Whistle" skill which allowed you to initiate a random encounter right then and there. This made grinding much less tedious.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By JJOR64
PureRok said:
I stopped reading at the first one since I disagree with it wholeheartedly. I decided I probably wouldn't agree with ... [more]
I agree with your DQ8 statement.  This should be a standard JRPG menu option now.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#23  Edited By AgentJ
SmugDarkLoser said:
All JRPGs should1)  Have a real time combat systemTurn based systems through menus are just too boring.  Usually too hard ... [more]
At first i thought you were serious. This was genuinely hilarious!
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dethfish

Jeez, I didn't know you were joking for a minute there. I see what you did there now, let's turn all JRPGs into western RPGs. Jokes are so much funnier once you understand them.

Turn based battle is way better than real time battle. Waaaay better. And what's better than a sword? It's like a giant knife! In Lost Odyssey you can even make you sword into a Fire sword!

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#25  Edited By delta_ass

Yea, pretty much. You nailed it.

Good going, old sport.

OhdK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By OhdK

JRPGS should also never have the words "final" or "fantasy" in the title

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By Tordah

Get rid of the random battles and grinding and tone down the anime-style a bit and I would be happy. With that said though, I've still enjoyed most JRPGs that I've played (mostly old-school SNES or GBA titles).

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_A_Drain

This is a sarcastic post. Sarcasm may be hard to detect on the internet, but my sensors are overloading here.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By penguindust

Interesting critique, Smug...but, you know I really think some improvements could be made in Western RPGs, as well.  Personally, I don' t think there are enough cat girls in games developed in North American or European countries.  Sure, Mass Effect claimed to have an androgynous character, but she wasn't nearly as flamboyant as I would have preferred.  And with all the weapons options available to me in Fallout 3, how come so few are actually the size of a small vehicle?  Don't Western game designers understand that the only way I can counter my character's effeminate hairstyle is by lugging around an gigantic weapon.  I need my phallic symbols to be bold and blatant.  Finally, there's not enough amnesia in Western RPGs.  I need another reason to grudgingly accept my role as the world's last hope.  Saving the world because that's where I keep all my stuff isn't enough.  I need to uncover my past and prove my suspicions that I really am a prince and not related to my boring and mundane "parents".

Also not enough sailor schoolgirl uniforms in Western RPGS...but that's also true about life in general.

minotaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By minotaka

rofl so you don't like the huge swords (wink wink) but u wouldnt mind being in control of someone  hench and grunty :D

I laike the logic lol