• 52 results
Tiger_Got_Wood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Tiger_Got_Wood

FF13 is getting some bad reviews for it being very linear and even saying the story is not that great. I'll post some links in a bit. 

I just want other peoples take on this? I was looking forward to this game but now I'm very upset to be hearing these things. 

According to the review , FF13 suffers from severe linearity, whereby there isn't even any towns or free exploration where you can do what you want. You are forced to be dragged along with the story and follow its pace. What kind of an rpg doesn't let you do what you want?

http://rpgland.com/games/reviews/final-fantasy-xiii-japanese/  

I guess the thing that really upsets me is being they have made it more of a push you down a path with no open feel to the world. I'm hearing the story is not that great? IDNO I guess after a few years of western RPG's being so good at a more open play as you go feel it spoils me. I sense that FF13 will be an AA at best looks like most reveiwers are going to feel and think the same about this. 

And let me be clear for some of you. I know the sales are good. I meant fans and review sites are starting to poor in with some mixed bag concerns and some are even saying the game is just not that great.

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By empfeix

I heard it was selling really well.  I thought the definition of "flop" was bad sales not bad gameplay.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Demyx

Well, the only review I know off the top of my head was 39/40 from Famitsu, and since its only in Japan, I'll just reserve my judgement for other reviews.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ryanwho
@empfeix said:
" I heard it was selling really well.  I thought the definition of "flop" was bad sales not bad gameplay. "
Fan disappointment is maybe the better word. But then, anyone who thought all of these delays somehow correlated to the game being even better were just being cartoonishly naive. That's never been the case. Games are delayed 4 years because they're a goddamn logistical mess.
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Rhaknar

by reviews of course the TC means "forum users"

crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By crystalskull2
@empfeix said:
" I heard it was selling really well.  I thought the definition of "flop" was bad sales not bad gameplay. "

This.

1 million sell in the first day is not the sign of a flop game.

Avatar image for supersecretagenda
SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SuperSecretAgenda
@Rhaknar: Pretty sure he means reviews. You know...as in 'reviews'. Hard concept to grasp -_-
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho
@Rhaknar said:
" by reviews of course the TC means "forum users" "
So, a step down from 50% of the reviews on Metacritic which are forum users with a domain name?
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cspiffo

Eh, FF has been moving more and more linear ever since it excaped its 2D roots.  Almost none of the original creators even work on it anymore.  Personally, I like linear experiences.  I just don't have the time to deal with vast worlds to explore anymore.  I'll reserve judgement until the game is released here in the states.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By FluxWaveZ

The game is selling well and the majority of the reviews, even the one the op linked, are saying the game is very good.  I don't know what you're talking about.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By MildMolasses
@empfeix:
It is.  That's why nobody ever said that 50 Cent: Bulletproof was a flop. 

This is a troll.
Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Aishan

All the FF games, apart from XII and X-2, are highly linear. Why were people expecting otherwise?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

Flopping? It became the top selling third party title in Japan on home platforms, selling almost the whole first shipment in the first week (though FF is front loaded so won't sell too much more). The game that was the best selling before that was Monster Hunter 3 on Wii, but still, it's selling great and on par with past FF titles. Also, again, all FF games are 100% linear, you don't buy a JRPG to have an open ended world with choice and consequence, you buy it for the battles and that linear story. All games get at least a few bad reviews, check FFXII's for example, usually from sites you never heard of before, or that really need the hits, like the one you linked (though it says it's very good so wtf are you talking about flops for?).

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Drebin_893

This is a troll.

Mgsfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mgsfreak

Overall: very good out of 10, lol I like that! Anyway empfeix dropped a knowledge bomb on your ass.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#16  Edited By the8bitNacho

This fits fairly snugly into the definition of "forum troll."  By asking these questions about "free-roaming" and all that jazz, you're essentially asking why this is, in fact, a Final Fantasy game.  It sounds like you've never even played a game in the series to question why it is that an RPg wouldn't let you "do what you want." 

This is a troll post.  It really is.  So stop.

Regardless I'd say FFXIII is far from flopping.  It's sold a ridiculous amount of copies (for Japan) in the first few days, and while there does seem to be an air of disappointment about its release, the reception from a critical standpoint has been inarguably positive.

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bombs_Away

This isn't a troll...the guys just a f**king retard.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JCGamer

Almost all FFs since VII have been pretty linear.  FFX, as I recall, didn't have a traditional overworld map--come to think of it, neither did XII.  I just hope there are options for camera control (the forced inverted axis thing for FFXII nearly killed me!)

Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cazamalos

the no-towns , linear exploring sounds awful, but anyway i'm still buying the game in march, and sure i will enjoy it

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By penguindust

Standings 機種 Model タイトル Title ジャンル Genre メーカー Manufacturer 発売日 Release 税込価格 Price 販売本数 Unit sales
11PS3PS3ファイナルファンタジーXIII(同梱版含む)Final Fantasy XIII (including bundled version)RPGRPGスクウェア・エニックスSquare Enix091217091,2179,240円9,240 yen1,501,9641,501,964
2TwoWiiWiiNew スーパーマリオブラザーズ WiiNew Super Mario Bros. WiiACTACT任天堂Nintendo091203091,2035,800円5,800 yen567,890567,890
3ThreeDSDSトモダチコレクションTomodachikorekushonETCETC任天堂Nintendo090618090,6183,800円3,800 yen165,575165,575
4FourDSDSポケットモンスター ハートゴールド/ソウルシルバーHart Pokemon Gold / Silver SoulRPGRPGポケモンPokemon090912090,9124,800円4,800 yen111,454111,454
5FiveWiiWiiWiiフィット プラス(同梱版含む)Plus Wii Fit (includes bundled version)ETCETC任天堂Nintendo091001091,0012,000円2,000 yen92,56192,561
For the week of December 14, 2009 to December 20, 2009 according to Media Create. SOURCE.  A million and a half units moved in one week is hardly a flop.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ryanwho
@JCGamer said:
" Almost all FFs since VII have been pretty linear.  FFX, as I recall, didn't have a traditional overworld map--come to think of it, neither did XII.  I just hope there are options for camera control (the forced inverted axis thing for FFXII nearly killed me!) "
The story pathway was linear but the levels themselves had dimension. FF13, at least the first few hours, is practically a b-line. Its not a "troll" to point that out. Its different.
71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By 71Ranchero
@Bombs_Away said:
" This isn't a troll...the guys just a f**king retard. "
I dont know, I am torn between both of those. I do think he is a troll, but I also think that he is really bad at it so he must be mentally challenged in some way.
alsnuts2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By alsnuts2

Id believe it, the Final Fantasy formula is getting really tired.  Which bums me out cause if i made a list of all time favorite games i might have 2 Final Fantasy games in the top 5.  Nothing ive seen of the new one has made me at all interested in playing it.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Brendan
@Bombs_Away said:
"This isn't a troll...the guys just a f**king retard. "

You can say fuck here.
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#25  Edited By the8bitNacho
@Tiger_Got_Wood said:

I sense that FF13 will be an AA at best looks like most reveiwers are going to feel and think the same about this. 

My dear LORD!  ONLY AA!?  Well you can just forget it.  No perfect score, no purchase.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Well I am worried about that. I figure they don't want anymore random battles and the only way to make you fight is a very linear path, more linear than a string of battles like your in a movie climbing up steps and fighting every opponent they have to throw at you one at a time. While dragon age orgins does something similar, it's linear path definetly was really carefully planned and players gets alot of enjoyment out of that game. I don't think this is the case with FFXIII though and that makes me worried. If it flops though and doesn't get 90% over gamerankings, I will be very dissapointed in the jrpg genre and square enix.

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JokerClown88

Another one of these threads huh? 

RiddleBrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RiddleBrother

It'll be interesting to see how it's received here. Many big north american RPG's or rpg type games (i.e. mass effect, dragon age, fallout 3, fable 2) have a focus on reacting to your decisions and dynamically changing the story. Based on past games, that's definitely not FF's style, and the rpg market has really changed beneath Squenix's feet in the intervening years since they released their last big single-player FF. I'm still cautiously optimistic that FF13 will be good (I can handle a linear game, so long as I like where it takes me), but I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

kenjisalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kenjisalk

It obviously won't be a commercial flop, but will clearly be critically mixed. 

From the look of it, it's going to be a big sweeping cinematic game, but that the RPG aspects of the game are odds are going to be pretty basic, as per Nomura Tetsuya formula.  There's nothing wrong with a relatively easy RPG, but it's probably going to be a disappointment to a lot of RPG veterans looking for a challenge.  That's just not what Square is about anymore, they focus on accessability. 

Nothing with the name Final Fantasy on it at this point is going to be a commercial flop (with maybe the exception being Crystal Chronicles).

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By trophyhunter

uhhhh no

Tiger_Got_Wood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Tiger_Got_Wood
@cazamalos said:

"the no-towns , linear exploring sounds awful, but anyway i'm still buying the game in march, and sure i will enjoy it "

This is my whole concern. NO TOWNS for upgrades and buy things? another thing is Square openly came out a few years ago and said they badly wanted to apeal more to the western market of gamers. This is doing nothing to do so at all. Especialy being all great rpg's now have some form of open feel to them even if very small. Look at Drago Age it is not all open but is still a tad open with towns.  

And what is up with IGN just scoring Crystal Bears like a 6.2. I think the Western market is going to be harsh on it's scores for FF13. I think the western market will feel square has not moved into current times enough. Just my thoughts again not a troll just my take on things.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ryanwho

The idea behind no towns was sound. They were attempting to streamline certain things. But, it looks like, they did it with the wrong things. FF12's big problem for me was the mind numbingly too-long puzzleless dungeons. The cities, by contrast, were a highlight.

Avatar image for 21stcenturyjesus
21stCenturyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By 21stCenturyJesus
@Aishan said:
"All the FF games, apart from XII and X-2, are highly linear. Why were people expecting otherwise? "

ive only played x and xii, but x was very linear.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#34  Edited By Hailinel

Just like pretty much every other Final Fantasy game ever created after the first, the fan reaction to XIII was destined to be mixed from the start.  The sales that the game will generate will make it anything but a flop, though.

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ

who the fuck cares about reviews and other peoples opinion????

online people all care is review and other peoples opinion. online people take things too seriously. its all about me and my own opinion. ff13 is the best!

1- ff13
2- ff8
3- ff7

fuck ff10.

ff12 was soso and combat is complicated and confusing but soso. ff10 is the worse. same goes to ff 10-2

ff9 goes back to classic combat like 7 which not enhancing, moving foward at all. 7 was great for its time then 8 came along and huge enhancement.

Tiger_Got_Wood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Tiger_Got_Wood
@AnnouncerGXZ said:

"who the fuck cares about reviews and other peoples opinion????  online people all care is review and other peoples opinion. online people take things too seriously. its all about me and my own opinion. ff13 is the best!   1- ff13 2- ff8 3- ff7  fuck ff10 "

I think most had assumed me one of them that Square would fix what was wrong with FF12 and then add some Western feel to it and offer some even if small open feel to it to be able to compete more with the big guns of the western world. Hey I'm just going by what Square had said a few years ago when then began production of FF13 they led people to beleive they wanted to be more appealing to western gamers with there game content.  

FF13 has apparently done nothing to do this. So this has mis led a bunch of people into expecting a more open and fleshed out FF experience. And when I hear that the story is a tad meh! then this does not fit well with a total linear experience? 

It's looking kind of like Square made a great battle system with a meh story and nothing to make it come into current times and compete with modern rpgs"
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By Whisperkill

Wait what? There aren't any towns? Ok maybe it is very linear

Damn, and I was hoping this game would be awesome.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#38  Edited By Hailinel
@Whisperkill said:
" Wait what? There aren't any towns? Ok maybe it is very linear  Damn, and I was hoping this game would be awesome. "
Since when did linearity equate to guaranteed suckage?
Diagnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Diagnostic

Yeah it sucks pretty bad.

cooger10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By cooger10

Final fantasy X was linear and awesome :)

Tiger_Got_Wood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Tiger_Got_Wood
@Whisperkill said:
"Wait what? There aren't any towns? Ok maybe it is very linear  Damn, and I was hoping this game would be awesome. "

Yeah me to. 

I'm just saying games that are this linear are mostly becuase of hardware limitations of yester year. But now it is almost accepted to be a great rpg you kind of have to have some open feel of play how you want. And developers started doing this several years ago when they had the power to do so. 

I'm just saying when Square said hey we want to be more western and appeal more to the western market most of us was like GREAT Square will bring FF to current standards. Sadly they have not done so. 

I expect Western reveiws to dock this game for this in review points. I expect an 8.0-8.5 at best.
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By cstrang

Commercial flop != Critical flop, guys.  Stop acting as if it does.  People buy shitty games if they have big names attached to them.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Phished0ne

and now our weekly "Rules of the internet" segment... 

todays rule:

"if the post says, "not a troll"  it definitely is a troll."

Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Colin

OP is just a hardcore troll.
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By Whisperkill
@Hailinel said:
" @Whisperkill said:
" Wait what? There aren't any towns? Ok maybe it is very linear  Damn, and I was hoping this game would be awesome. "
Since when did linearity equate to guaranteed suckage? "
Since I really just don't like the characters and world of most modern Final Fantasy games. The rpg elements and exploration is what makes the games good for me. If its more linear than its going to be more cutscene and character focused.

Which is exactly what people thought they were going to change about this game. I remember SE saying that XIII is going to be a dramatic change from the Final Fantasy formula... so much for that.
Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By MachoFantastico

A Japanese friend of mine as played much of Final Fantasy 13, he seemed to be enjoying it. Admitted that it's very very Japanese so I'd be interested to see how well it does in the west.  

Japanese developed games that don't consider Western audiences have struggled the past few years, why do you think Mr Kojima changed Metal Gear Solid 4 so much. Me personally, well I'm done with the Final Fantasy series so I'll probably pick it up when it makes financial sense rather then being a day one purchase.

Solarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By Solarus

In terms of sale it isn't a flop (nor will any Final Fantasy game ever likely turn into a flop). In terms of gamer reaction / Review, the only official one I know of so far is Famitsu, which gave it a 39/40. Famitsu is one of the few review publications that I trust, so from my perspective, it seems pretty damn good to me. Unless they screw up the NA localization (somehow...), I predict most RPG gamers are still going to have FFXIII pre-ordered, will wait in a huge line for a midnight release and will probably end up loving it.

In other words, it's not a flop on either account.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By m1k3

If i remember correctly, the trailers for XIII never showed any towns just industrial areas, and a forest.

With the Versus XIII trailer, i think they showed cities and what not. Which is just one of the many reasons that makes me think that Versus XIII is still the true FF:XIII. I'm and real believer in that. Why else would they call it "Versus" XIII

Tiger_Got_Wood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Tiger_Got_Wood
@TrueEnglishGent said:

"A Japanese friend of mine as played much of Final Fantasy 13, he seemed to be enjoying it. Admitted that it's very very Japanese so I'd be interested to see how well it does in the west.   Japanese developed games that don't consider Western audiences have struggled the past few years, why do you think Mr Kojima changed Metal Gear Solid 4 so much. Me personally, well I'm done with the Final Fantasy series so I'll probably pick it up when it makes financial sense rather then being a day one purchase. "

Yes and this is what really bugs me now. Square even said they were changing things to be more focused on the western market? They have apparently been talking out of there ass. 

I just think this will be the first FF game to bite Square in the ass. Just wait I expect Western review sites to really let Square have it for being to old school and not going with the current times. 

Look at What Lost Oddessey scored. I loved that game myself. But it even had some open feel and towns and stuff. Even Star Ocean has this. You watch the western review sites and a lot of it's former western market fans are going to speak there minds in a bad way on FF13. I say this becuase the western market has been spoiled with great RPG's in recent years and most if not all offer some sort of open feel to them.
empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By empfeix
@Mgsfreak said:
" Overall: very good out of 10, lol I like that! Anyway empfeix dropped a knowledge bomb on your ass. "
lol I like that line :D