Trouble choosing between a PS3 and building a new PC.

• 87 results
Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Sdoots

Hey guys, 

I got a summer job this year through my state government. Unfortunately, I live in Minnesota, and if you follow the news you may know that our state government has shut down as of about a week ago. I have one paycheck for about 246 dollars, and another coming soon for about 120. If the state gets its shit together before the planned last day of my job, August 19th, I'll get my job back.  I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and keep saving that money so I can build a new PC, or if it's worth getting a PS3 this late in the game. I already have a 360, and my Steam account has around 59 games on it, but I can only hold about 6 on my hard drive at a time, because I'm running Windows on an older Macbook Pro.

So is it worth it to buy a PS3 at this point, or is saving my money for a nice PC the smarter idea here?

BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

easy choice PC, more bang for the buck in my opinion cause you can do more with a PC

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Marcsman

PS3 gets my vote
N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By N7

Uncharted 3.

Get a PS3.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By JoeyRavn

Since you already have a 360, I'd go for the custom PC. PS3 and 360 overlap a lot, and as @BUCK3TM4N said, you'll get a much better bang for your buck with a PC. With so many games on Steam you won't be needing to spend any money in more games for a long, long time :)

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FritzDude

"Building"? Hell yes! It's a blast to build a new PC, but if you just want to play games, well... You'll get a blast playing PS3 exclusives too. The choice is yours. But if you ask me i'm leaning towards building a new PC.

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By CosmicQueso

You have a Steam account with a seemingly good selection of games. A PS3 is great, but within the next 2 years new consoles will be coming out. A decent PC these days will last you up to 4 years.

Games on Steam now if you wait for the sales are dirt cheap. PS3 games will cost you much more. Even new games at $50 on PC feature a $10 savings vs the PS3. Don't even get me started on the Summer/Black Friday Steam sales where great games are a couple bucks.

Do yourself a favor and build a decent PC.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Jams

@Biohazardous: @BUCK3TM4N said:

easy choice PC, more bang for the buck in my opinion cause you can do more with a PC

Basically this. Your options (of what you can do on a computer) are near limitless. Especially if you build it yourself. It should be cheaper in the long run too if you're replacing your mac with it. Hardware lasts a lot lot longer now than it ever has before. I can still run max settings in the newest games on my 4 year old PC. It probably has another good 4 years in it before I need to consider upgrading.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Grissefar

Why don't you look at which games that purchase would enable you to play, pick those you are interested in and weigh them against eachother? Would you really let that choice be decided by random fanboys on the internet or have you already made your choice and are just wanting some confirmation?

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By kingzetta

PS3 it'll play everything well and be cheaper.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Aronman789

PC, we get sales pretty much daily.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By benpicko

This shouldn't even be a question. PC.

Auswin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Auswin

I think the choice is simple: build a PC. 

I own a 360 and a PS3 and just finished building my first true gaming PC two days ago. Throughout the process all I could think was "why didn't I do this sooner?" 

Ultimately, I'm saying PC is the route to go for you for one major reason: Bang for your buck. Because of the shaky financial situation you're in you'll be able to benefit far more from getting AAA titles on Steam than from a brick and mortar. As a gamer, the back catalog of truly astounding PC only games are remarkable. Yes, Uncharted 2 was amazing and so will UC3, but right now I'm getting to enjoy the Dawn Of War II games, Total War Shogun 2, Civ V, The Witcher 1 and 2... and all except Witcher 2 I got at really low prices- heck, Shogun 2 came free with my video card. 

All in all I managed to make an amazing PC with parts from New Egg for a total cost of $840. It was the best decision I made as a gamer in a long, long time.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nekroskop

Build the PC, it's definitely worth it.

Da_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Da_Madness

I'd also pick PC as you already have a wide selection of games. a PS3 is fine but you need to invest in games which you may or may not be able to afford what you want when it comes out.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jimbo

If you desperately want to play another competent TPS then get a PS3. If you want to play games which your 360 doesn't already have more than adequately covered then get a PC.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Doctorchimp

PC....

Easily....

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Sdoots

Alright, looks like I'm saving my money for the PC. Thanks for the quick feedback everyone, I really appreciate it.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Vodun

@Biohazardous said:

Alright, looks like I'm saving my money for the PC. Thanks for the quick feedback everyone, I really appreciate it.

No wait! I wanna say PC too first!

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SlasherMan
@kingzetta said:
PS3 it'll play everything well
Enslaved, Bayonetta and Castlevania LoS say hi.
Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Damian

Hard to say. It'd help if I had more to go on, like, what games do you most enjoy? 
This choice is only "obvious" to fanboys.

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By endless_void

Both are fantastic but I'd go with the PC. Too many good games comin for PC and I feel like consoles should always been secondary to the main platform :PC.

I'm an owner of both.

willylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By willylo

My vote goes for a PC, a lot of developers have been saying they're starting to hit a limit with the 360 and PS3 at this point. They're pushing a lot more into PC games cause of that now too, I also think PC games age better then console ones, a recent example would be GTA 4, I tried to play that on 360 a couple months back but thought it looked god awful, but I got it on PC recently via the summer steam sale and it looks fantastic on PC.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kingzetta
@SlasherMan said:
@kingzetta said:
I had no problems with Enslaved or Castlevaina, no idea what your even talking about there. Bayonetta got patched and now runs well.
NickBOTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NickBOTT

Coming from someone who doesn't have a good enough PC to play PC games and mainly uses his PS3 for blu-rays/netflix, I'd say go with a PC.  You've got a Steam account already and you've lived this long without a PS3 so why start now?  We're probably going to hear about next-gen systems for PS and XBOX in the near future any way so getting a PS3 now just seems like a waste. 

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I can't imagine the amount of games you'd miss by not having all three, so get whichever you feel like.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SlasherMan
@kingzetta said:
@SlasherMan said:
@kingzetta said:
I had no problems with Enslaved or Castlevaina, no idea what your even talking about there. Bayonetta got patched and now runs well.
Bayonetta only had the loading times fixed, the framerate is still crap (see 360 version for proper comparison). Enslaved... Don't get me started. And Castlevania runs at an average of 25 FPS with very frequent fluctuations, making the experience inconsistent and annoying. But sure, if that type of stuff is fine with you, then yeah no problems whatsoever.
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By subject2change

Save. and pending on your current PC may just skip PC for a while. I own a 360 and PS3 and am primarily a PS3 user, I've been one since the PS1. I sort of regret purchasing the 360 and will prob sell it after Gears 3.
kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kingzetta
@SlasherMan: I thought both Enslaved and Castlevaina ran great and looked amazing. I feel very sorry for you and all other frame counters.
smfE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By smfE

PC without a single doubt, Steam, Blizzard games and Valve games :). Always daily sales, games modding and who doesn't love keyboard+mouse control more than controller :)

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SlasherMan
@kingzetta: It's called having a functioning set of eyes. Admittedly, they may be a bit too sensitive for this stuff but hey, I did still enjoy those games despite the issues so don't be feeling sorry just yet.
Silock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Silock

PC everytime : )

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kingzetta
@SlasherMan said:
@kingzetta: It's called having a functioning set of eyes. Admittedly, they may be a bit too sensitive for this stuff but hey, I did still enjoy those games despite the issues so don't be feeling sorry just yet.
ok I won't just yet
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Azteck

I see you chose PC.

I came into this thread to say PC.

Good choice.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sayishere

PC since you can always just upgrade your hardware when its becoming obsolete.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By theguy

PC is a good choice, since you have a 360 its not worth the money for a few PS3 exclusives.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Franstone

PC
You'll be thankful you did once all the holiday games are out this year.
Never mind the endless titles and sales on Steam.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Surkov

If you already have 59 steam games, i'd suggest buying a PC to actually play them. 

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RsistncE
@Damian said:
Hard to say. It'd help if I had more to go on, like, what games do you most enjoy? This choice is only "obvious" to fanboys.
LOL butthurt console only player is butthurt
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I own both. I have a king sitting on my desk, and a black box sitting underneath my TV 

Sure, the PS3 has about 10 really remarkable exclusives, but its awesomesauce ends there.. Multiplats? most of them run better on PC, with better visuals and controls (you can either use M+KB or a controller). PC has better and more stable internet in the games (no host migration bullshit), there are ALL kinds of awesome mods to add to games and experiment with, mods that enhance games and change them around.. I could count so many more things 

like Ken Levine said, a PC is a crystal ball sitting on your desk

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By niamahai

honestly at this point of the console's life cycle, its better to get a PC.

Unless you reallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreally love UC3, then get a PS3.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MrKlorox

Yeah, PC is the right choice since you already have a console.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MrKlorox
@kingzetta said:
@SlasherMan: I thought both Enslaved and Castlevaina ran great and looked amazing. I feel very sorry for you and all other frame counters.
And I feel sorry for the suckers who spend $50+ on an unused copy of every full sized game. Some people just don't know how to handle their money.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New PC. There's no denying it.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By defaulttag

PC

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kingzetta
@MrKlorox said:

@kingzetta said:

And I feel sorry for the suckers who spend $50+ on an unused copy of every full sized game. Some people just don't know how to handle their money.
Yeah, that's nice. Your little vendetta against me is getting old.
Also I never said I played $50+ for them.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MrKlorox
@kingzetta said:
@MrKlorox said:
@kingzetta said:
Great, so I can't slay a troll if I've done so in the past. Respond with something relevant instead of trying to victimize yourself.
kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By kingzetta
@MrKlorox said:
@kingzetta said:
@MrKlorox said:
@kingzetta said:
Great, so I can't slay a troll if I've done so in the past. Respond with something relevant instead of trying to victimize yourself.
I never said I payed $50+ for them, so your post was out of the blue and angry.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MrKlorox
@kingzetta said:

@MrKlorox said:

@kingzetta said:

@MrKlorox said:
@kingzetta said:
Oh so you buy used instead? That's worse than piracy.  What's this ignorant comment supposed to mean?

@kingzetta

said:

I guess you're just an idiot, but I think we've covered this.
kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By kingzetta
@MrKlorox said:
@kingzetta said:
@MrKlorox said:
@kingzetta said:
@MrKlorox said:
@kingzetta said:
Oh so you buy used instead? That's worse than piracy.  What's this ignorant comment supposed to mean?

@kingzetta said:
I guess you're just an idiot, but I think we've covered this.
New games do go on sale, you know that right? K-mart is the steam of physical games, they have a sale every week.
A PS3 will play whatever PS3 game you put in it and costs $300.  You really need to calm down. I know you hate me because I hurt your PC elitist feeling months ago, but relax.