Unhappy People

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Edited By Vigilance

So in scanning the Fallout: New Vegas forums I was blown away by the rage directed at Fallout 3.  

If you think Fallout 3 sucks, do you like anything?  

Would nothing with the Fallout name please you except a pixel perfect port of Fallout 2, only with new missions?  

I just don't get this attitude.  

I love Fallout 2, I re-played it like a month ago. But that doesn't blind me to how awesome Fallout 3 is.  

I don't need to party like it's 1999 ALL the time. 

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Vigilance

So in scanning the Fallout: New Vegas forums I was blown away by the rage directed at Fallout 3.  

If you think Fallout 3 sucks, do you like anything?  

Would nothing with the Fallout name please you except a pixel perfect port of Fallout 2, only with new missions?  

I just don't get this attitude.  

I love Fallout 2, I re-played it like a month ago. But that doesn't blind me to how awesome Fallout 3 is.  

I don't need to party like it's 1999 ALL the time. 

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By EpicSteve

"I don't need to party like it's 1999 ALL the time."'

I'll use this for myself another time. Go Fallout 3!!

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

It's called "preference". While I like F3, it does have it's fair share of faults.

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Vigilance
@eroticfishcake said:
" It's called "preference". While I like F3, it does have it's fair share of faults. "
Sure, but you could say that about anything. 

I'm not puzzled that someone might say "I like Fallout 2 better than Fallout 3".  

I'm puzzled by people straight up saying Fallout 3 SUCKS.  

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

That I'm not entirely sure why anyone would say that but then again people just like to hate things. I know that's a bit of a cheap answer but it's beyond me why anyone would say stuff like that. I mean why do fanboys are so stubborn to begin with?

And why is your text bold?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@eroticfishcake said:
" And why is your text bold? "
Heh
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @eroticfishcake said:
" And why is your text bold? "
Heh "
Funny enough that was the first thing that came into my mind when I said that.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By breadfan

I think a lot of it has to do with some sort of elitism.  A lot of people seem mad mainly because Fallout is now a very popular title and they want it to stay their own.

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vigilance
@eroticfishcake said:
" That I'm not entirely sure why anyone would say that but then again people just like to hate things. I know that's a bit of a cheap answer but it's beyond me why anyone would say stuff like that. I mean why do fanboys are so stubborn to begin with?  And why is your text bold? "
Not sure what happened with the bolded text.  

And really, what exactly do you think I'm a fanboy of?  Fallout 3? 

I guess that's true, but I am also a huge fan of Fallout 2. In fact, on a list I made for GB, I listed it awhile ago as my favorite RPG of all time. 
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Vigilance: Oh no I wasn't accusing you of being a fanboy or anything. I just threw it out there as an example. But like Br3adfan said it could just be the elitism of some people. I've noticed this with certain games and even just non-game related trends. When something becomes mainstream it tends to breed hatred among the "orignal" fans of a genre or style.
Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Vigilance
@eroticfishcake: Ah, I see that now, sorry about that.  

Yeah, I guess it could be elitism. I also think people just being resistant to change might be the cause. 

I mean, FO2 is party based, isometric, turn based, while FO3 is solo (mostly- anytime I have a follower in FO3 I *wish* I was by myself), first person and real-time.  

So it always seemed to me that some folks just wanted the same game all over again. 

These folks also seem to throw around the phrase "post-apocalypse Oblivion" like that is a bad thing too. 
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By cstrang

I think it's just a bunch of anger that Fallout 3 didn't stick to the traditional Fallout form.  Vigilance said it best.  The other Fallout games were party-based, had the isometric point of view, and just kinda all the way out there.  Fallout 3 was a FPRPG, was arguably meant to be played in real time, and really reigned in the kinda over-the-top-ness of everything.

I loved Fallout 3, but I can see the anger, 'cause they did kinda turn it into a post-apocalyptic Oblivion.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Vigilance: No worries. Anyway yeah I think it could also be that people just don't want to change. I mean Fallout 2 is an old game and since it was such a good while ago, people tend to look at older games through nostalgia, which clouds their opinion of it. While that's not bad, it only further solidifies all the good things that they liked about it as opposed to Fallout 3. While I do like Fallout 3 a lot. I just wouldn't consider it as a spiritual successor to the Fallout series since it's just too different. There's no familiarity between them. It's still a good game that can stand by itself but to me, it just feels like another game then a sequel.

If you think about it. A post-apocalypse Oblivion isn't bad. Afterall Oblivion is fantastic, no?
Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vigilance
@cstrang: Well, FO3 had a lot of that Fallout "feel" to me, it was just a modern game. 

I mean, did people really expect there to be a holy hand grenade?  Did they want to run across Buffy the Vampire Slayer in the wastes? 

I don't think that Duke Nukem style humor has aged well myself. 

On the subject of "post apocalyptic Oblivion", that just seems dumb to me. Let's assume that A) using the Fallout 2 engine was not an option and B) making a completely new engine specifically for FO3 was not an option. 

Cause let's face, it A) would look kind of crappy today (and been unusable on a console) and B) would probably mean we'd STILL be waiting for FO3 to come out.  

This again leads me to ask what would have made people happier- the Unreal Engine? 
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By cstrang
@Vigilance: You don't need to tell me.  I enjoyed the game.  But, yes, I think people were expecting more of the pop culture humor and general craziness.  And say what you want, but the game does feel and handle a lot like Oblivion, and I think that is something that people picked on just because, to them, Fallout is supposed to be like Fallout, not Oblivion.
Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Lowbrow
@Vigilance said:
" So in scanning the Fallout: New Vegas forums I was blown away by the rage directed at Fallout 3.   If you think Fallout 3 sucks, do you like anything?   Would nothing with the Fallout name please you except a pixel perfect port of Fallout 2, only with new missions?   I just don't get this attitude.   I love Fallout 2, I re-played it like a month ago. But that doesn't blind me to how awesome Fallout 3 is.   I don't need to party like it's 1999 ALL the time.  "
This is hate directed at people who play games, revere them, and when a sequel comes out at  a later date, don't know what they want anymore.

They want nostalgia, but want something new. They want improvement, but they don't want a full next step towards modernization of a game. 

There are just some people out there who like something so much, they never want to see it change, and can't really be made happy.
toast_burner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By toast_burner

Fallout 2 is much much better then fallout 3 and it makes fallout 3 look like shit in comparison 
but fallout 3 is still a great game and i enjoyed it alot
Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Slippy

Fallout fanboys are the worst fanboys.