Very high quality headphones?

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Djeffers03

So at the moment I have a pair of Astro A30's and I really like them, they're the best headphones I've ever owned, they have great high's and mid's but im often found wondering if Im missing out on bass. I've tried Solo Beats by Dr Dre, they have have really booming bass but the rest seems to get lost behind it which is not what Im looking for. I want some really high quality headphones that deliver on all sound quality fronts. I wouldn't mind paying anything up to around £150/$250. Are Sennheiser HD 595's good? Any Astro owners also own other headphones? Any other suggestions?

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Djeffers03

Nobody?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

Yes, Sennheisers are good, and the ones you pointed out are very good. I have some cheaper model Sennheisers and I'm happy with them. I can only imagine how great those would sound.

Chobbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Chobbit

I second the Sennheisers, I use them at work and love them, both comfy and the best sounding headphones I've owned...

That includes the iphone earbuds ;-)

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Djeffers03
@cbonner1847: Were they HD 595's or another type?
GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY

I really like my audio technicas. 

paudle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By paudle

I like my  beyerdynamic dt 770 pros. You could probably find a good pair of beyerdynamics that would work for you.

Sn1PeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sn1PeR

Grados are suppose to be awesome.  I don't own any, but I have used them and they sounded good.  I personally use an old set of AKG studios.  Remember to invest in a headphone amp.    

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By metalmoog

I have the White Astro A40's & 2010 MixAmp. I have been hugely disappointed with them overall for the money I spent.  They have no bass, the voice chat quality is shitty (people have problems hearing me, volume constantly goes low to high while I'm talking).  The voice chat and overall sound quality of my Turtle Beach X1's were far superior to these for a measly $40 instead of $250+.

I've tested these on my Xbox 360, PS3 & Macbook Pro and it's always the same results - shitty voice chat quality.  

To anyone interested in Astro's, I say save your money, or go with a different company entirely.  These are way over-hyped, and under deliver.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Djeffers03
@MetalMoog: I can't say my A30's have the same problems. One of the things astro changed with them was to pump up the bass and it certainly isn't bad, I just get the feeling listening to certain stuff like Drum and BASS that it could be a little more prominent.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrKlorox

NO NO no! For Bass you want to supplement your headphones... not replace them. I have two of these for my Sennheiser HD-595's. They're tactile transducers, also known as bass shakers. Attach one to your seat and you will have more low end than you ever knew you could have without all the ear damaging sound pressure. Check this thread for more than a couple lengthy posts about them (don't forget page 2).

Seriously, you don't need new headphones for awesome, thick as molasses bass.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Three0neFive

skullcandy bro

seinhasers are poop, real bros wear skullcandy like an epic over 900 boss

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Djeffers03
@MrKlorox: Cheers for the reply, I'll check that thread now.
Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Djeffers03
@Three0neFive: But does the bass cover up the rest of the sounds like with the Solo beats? 

@MrKlorox: As much I can take your word for the effectiveness of the Buttkicker it's not really of much use to me seeing as I listen to my music all over the place, at school, on my bed, on my laptop, in the car and so on. 
Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Obsidian

How about you get some actual audiophile headphones?  Grado's SR225 and 325's are nice.  Avoid Skullcandy like the plague.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BBQBram
@Three0neFive: Yeah, it's just that Skull Candy's designs are the most atrociously urban hipster shit ever.
Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Three0neFive
@Djeffers03 said:
" @Three0neFive: But does the bass cover up the rest of the sounds like with the Solo beats? 

@MrKlorox: As much I can take your word for the effectiveness of the Buttkicker it's not really of much use to me seeing as I listen to my music all over the place, at school, on my bed, on my laptop, in the car and so on.  "
@BBQBram said:
" @Three0neFive: Yeah, it's just that Skull Candy's designs are the most atrociously urban hipster shit ever. "

If it wasn't evident, I was being sarcastic. Skull Candies are fucking terrible, yet are inevitably mentioned in every audio thread here.
septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By septim

I use the 595s for PC gaming. They're lovely.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Djeffers03
@septim: Excuse me if this is a stupid question but do you just plugs yours into the headphone jack or do you use a mix-amp or something?
GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By GeekDown

AKG makes some great headphones and they're pretty affordable too.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MrKlorox
@Djeffers03:  Sure, they're certainly not portable. But neither are bulkier home-listening headphones like the HD-595s.

I've read that many in-ear models are excellent for bass due to the isolation. But that comes with a higher risk of hearing damage as well. I don't own any worth mentioning though.

I came across the transducers when I was in your situation looking for bassier cans after having recently bought a pair of relatively expensive headphones that didn't live up to my expectations. And I ended up liking the solution so much that I bought another one to use in stereo ,which didn't work so well. So I put it in the living room.

Transducers work for more than just music and synergize with speakers nearly as well as they do with headphones.

edit: dude the 595's aren't very bassy. i'm telling you don't go there for bass or for portability.
BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BBQBram
@Three0neFive: Good because I was worried for a minute there.
Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Anything with long strange names are usually good. The uglier the better too. None of that hipster shit. I'd say the ones you are looking at are good, one of the best brands around. But getting good lows out of headphones is hard, always remember that. You won't get the best lows unless you go with a great set of proper speakers. Bass tends to be a bit off on most headphones, so I'd suggest doing everything you can to test a pair to see what you think sounds the best. It can be tricky with cans, but you can always send em back and say they didn't work =p

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Emilio

WOah woah, that's expensive for super headphones. And they won't even be used for producing music... 

I bought a Behringer HPS3000 off Amazon a while back for around 25 dollars. It sounds good, and there is a good amount of bass. 
It also helps to work with an equalizer.

RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By RavenX302

Are you just listening to music or are you recording....If all your doing is listening to music, then I don't see the point of outrageously expensive headphones. Actually, in both cases the money is better spent on a higher end stereo set up as headphones will never give you the full range of music you would be looking for.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Djeffers03
@Emilio: @RavenX302: No Im not producing music. I just want to get the most out of the music that I can and not feel like Im missing out due to hardware. 
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Karl_Boss

Sennheiser is a safe bet....I have a pair of HD280s and I love them...but when you said super high quality I was thinking these.