Volume of peoples voices

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Edited By GunstarRed

Why is it that when I am talking to someone in first person shooters  I cannot hear them or their vocal range drops when my back is turned? 
I was playing the Allo Allo-ified Wolfenstein demo earlier and realised how absolutely annoying it is to  have to stand in a certain place to hear what on earth someone is saying. It's my only real issue with the Half life(2) games. It becomes increasingly more ridiculous the more and more videogames strive for realism, It really bugs me in a game when I have to follow a certain character at a certain pace if not I will miss out on dialogue. Fable 2 had this  a couple of times and its incredibly strange to suddenly get within a certain zone and catch the final few words of someones sentence...Like I wouldn't be able to hear anything they were saying because I was one centimetre out of range.. I dont want to have to stare at some shitty lip synching and bad facial movement  because the game demands me to do so if I want to hear story or tutorial points. A game that doesn't fall for this is Bioshock with the sounds and voices of the enemies echoing in from other rooms. It's one of those things in games that just make absolutely no sense yet seems to be standard within the genre.

Although I think if i was argueing with someone and disagreed with their point I could just turn around and the volume of their  voice would drop out... that might be pretty awesome.
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By GunstarRed

Why is it that when I am talking to someone in first person shooters  I cannot hear them or their vocal range drops when my back is turned? 
I was playing the Allo Allo-ified Wolfenstein demo earlier and realised how absolutely annoying it is to  have to stand in a certain place to hear what on earth someone is saying. It's my only real issue with the Half life(2) games. It becomes increasingly more ridiculous the more and more videogames strive for realism, It really bugs me in a game when I have to follow a certain character at a certain pace if not I will miss out on dialogue. Fable 2 had this  a couple of times and its incredibly strange to suddenly get within a certain zone and catch the final few words of someones sentence...Like I wouldn't be able to hear anything they were saying because I was one centimetre out of range.. I dont want to have to stare at some shitty lip synching and bad facial movement  because the game demands me to do so if I want to hear story or tutorial points. A game that doesn't fall for this is Bioshock with the sounds and voices of the enemies echoing in from other rooms. It's one of those things in games that just make absolutely no sense yet seems to be standard within the genre.

Although I think if i was argueing with someone and disagreed with their point I could just turn around and the volume of their  voice would drop out... that might be pretty awesome.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

HEY GUY, BILLY HERE AND I ADVISE YOU TO BUY SOME 7.1 HDMI AUDIO...IT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE AND YOU CAN HEAR EVERYTHING CRYSTAL CLEAR!

I use 7.1 Audio for my PS3 and it sounds amazing...and the ranges are awesome too.  Running through Uncharted 2 and it's perfect.  Buy some speakers and a reciever for around $5000 and you'll be fine.  :)

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By penguindust
@KaosAngel said:
"  Buy some speakers and a receiver for around $5000 and you'll be fine.  :) "
Yeah, I'll get right on that. ;-p
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GunstarRed
@KaosAngel:
Y'WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaa!?????, no, this has nothing to do with speakers. 
I haven't a clue what youre talking about... 

uncharted ISN'T one of thse games anyways... you can hear people just fine wherever you are. 

...here is a picture. and yeah I have a Really fuckin awesome sound setup on a nice tv...so y'know 
speakers don't fix this..... 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By xyzygy

Sometiimes it's the actual game. It's meant to do that to add realism... Because IRL if you stand close to someone and face them you can hear them better than when your back is turned. Usually a headset helps this though, you can hear everyone through that.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GunstarRed
@xyzygy:
but It doesn't add realism... I shouldnt have to be standing near someone to hear them fully, I stand in  my kitchen and someone is across the room I can hear them as well as if i'm standing right next to them not like they have a pillow smothering their face.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake

I hate and I love it when games do this. It's kind of amusing how they manage to put such detail into something like that. I normally get over this by turning on subtitles (but not everyone likes that) which most games these days have anyway.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By natetodamax

They try to be realistic but fail miserably. When your back is turned to someone that's talking to you, it's not supposed to block their voice. Makes no sense.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By iam3green

i know what u mean. it's alright though sometimes it is good for it while other times it is bad.