What difficulty do you usually choose to play your games on?

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mikey87144
Avatar image for deactivated-5eedc15bc689f
deactivated-5eedc15bc689f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Normal first and if a game was really good I will give hard or higher a go for a second play. 

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By MEATBALL

Normal most of the time, sometimes easy if I know a game is particularly hard and I have the option.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By zyn

Normal first.  If the game is great, replay the game with increased difficulty.

xpxTomxqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By xpxTomxqx

Usually go for normal if it's a game I know quite a bit about however, if a game has been notorious for high difficulty then I will pick easy. The best example would be Gears of War, I heard that game was hard so started on casual.

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Crono11

I'll play on hard first but I'm not afraid to lower the difficulty if it gets too rough.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mikey87144

I play my games on hard mainly because on easy the game practically plays itself. On normal difficulty much less so. On hard it feels like a lot of the hand holding is gone and you're left to your own devices. I wish more modern games designed the gameplay better around your difficulty choice instead of making your enemies take more damage and you less.

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By christ0phe

There are already several threads about this

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BraveToaster
@christ0phe said:
This.
dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By dillonwerner
@christ0phe said:
mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mikey87144
@christ0phe: I've never seen them. Sorry
sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sameeeeam

Whatever the default is.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Maajin

It depends on the main motive I am playing the game for. If the game has weak mechanics and I'm on it for the story, like Alpha Protocol, I go on the easiest. If the gameplay mechanics are fine but I don't think I want to play it a second time (like Darksiders) I go on the hardest, that way I also get most of the achievements on one run. If it's a game I love everything about, like Uncharted or Arkham Asylum, I tend to play multiple times on every difficulty.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Karl_Boss

Hard most of the time....I will only choose normal if its a genre I'm not familiar with....most modern games are so fucking easy that even hard is a joke.

Frenchie108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Frenchie108

normal, i'm an average gamer so i just go with the average difficulty. I usually tell myself i'll play it after on hard but once i've beaten a game, i can't go back (rachet and c;ank only exception).Only game i've played on a hard difficulty was halo reach and i stopped playing the campaign because of how frustrating the game was (gonna play it on normal one of these days). 

AnimalPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By AnimalPixel

Without a doubt normal. Easy: It's just too easy. Most games don't have a challenge in this mode. Hard: Sometimes the game seems to be unfair. Nothing it balanced, and everything is a bit off putting. Normal: Everything is perfect.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By UnrealDP

It really depends, i mean, i play every first person shooter on the hard option (not that i play on the one after hard like insane) but everything else on normal.
Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#18  Edited By Dimsey

Pretty much always normal.
Might go to hard if you can play the game through on co-op, it's what we did with Gears of War.
But if I'm by myself normal is fine.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Red

Normal, unless I'm replaying the game.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hourai

Second from hardest.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iam3green

i play it on normal. i hate playing on hard. i rage when i play on hard because of how cheap the game is usually is. the hardest difficulty i've played on was hardened on modern warfare 2. that was pretty hard.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Getz

I can count on one hand the number of games where my first run was on the hardest difficulty, and those were games where someone recommended I do it. Splinter Cell: Conviction and Metal Gear Solid 3, and maybe one or two others I can't think of right now. I like to place my trust in the developer that their normal difficulty will provide me a challenge, but one that I can easily overcome with enough knowledge and patience. Sometimes, it doesn't work out quite that way (I'm looking at you Bungie), but most developers seem to work around that kind of model.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NTM

I'm in the minority here. I NEVER play on normal, I hate middle difficulties; always have. I often go to the easiest, then the most difficult. Playing on easy first is the best way to get used to a game so it makes it even easier to get through on hard. I think the way I play makes it so no game I face is actually that difficult in the end. I don't think I can say any game (nowadays) is hard, as long as you are determined to get through it. For example, I don't see Demon's Souls as difficult, but more time consuming since you have to keep upgrading, but as long as you stick to it, you won't have a problem. There are games that can be cheap because of the way a section is made by fault (which I gladly rarely run into), or there's games that are time consuming which will make someone say "I... I just can't do it.", and I think their mixing concepts up. OK, I don't want to get into all of this now since it'll get nowhere and some people just tend to argue over others opinions. Anyways, everyone excited for Deus Ex: Human Revolution? I know I am.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Yanngc33

Normal and then I go back and play it on hard if I enjoyed it

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Hizang

Normal, not to hard not to easy.
Spoonybard37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By Spoonybard37

I usually start off with normal, then chose a higher difficulty if the game is worth running through again.

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rebirth1337

I used to pick the hardest to get all the achievements and such but I don't care about achievements anymore so I'll play on normal or easy so I can get throw it with my ADHD. Hard mode about 99.9% of the time just makes the game un-fun. Like in CoD it's just nade spam one shot kill.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By PerryVandell

Normal, then hard when I replay the game.

PieGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By PieGuy

Normal because I have it in my head that it is the difficulty the devlopers wanted you to play.
I will play on hard for trophies or if I love the game.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31  Edited By buft
@Murtaug said:
Normal first and if a game was really good I will give hard or higher a go for a second play. 
I second this, though i normally just move on to the next game halfway through the hard playthrough.
phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By phrosnite

Normal but if I hear(early reviews) that the game is too easy I will start on HARD(Dragon Age 2). On my second playthroughs I always play on HARD or VERY HARD.

Rongaryen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By Rongaryen

I usually play on normal but, there are exceptions like Dead Space where I started on Hard and Red Faction: Guerrilla where I started on Casual.  Neither game I finished, by the way, which I guess says something about me.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By napalm
@Getz said:
I can count on one hand the number of games where my first run was on the hardest difficulty, and those were games where someone recommended I do it. Splinter Cell: Conviction and Metal Gear Solid 3,
Why was Splinter Cell: Conviction recommended on hard?
PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#35  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Normal, always. I want the challenge to be the secondary thing, while still being there, when the first playthrough is for story and atmosphere. Second round, I like to crank the difficulty up. 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By penguindust

"Normal" or default except in Halo titles which I bump up to "Hard" because that's actually "Normal" for those games.  

The only time I play "Easy" is when I am trying to unlock characters and stages in a fighter.  Although, there were a few times I dropped DA:O down to easy during my first run-through.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Getz
@Napalm said:
@Getz said:
I can count on one hand the number of games where my first run was on the hardest difficulty, and those were games where someone recommended I do it. Splinter Cell: Conviction and Metal Gear Solid 3,
Why was Splinter Cell: Conviction recommended on hard?
The way it was explained to me was, when you can only take a few hits, the pressure to remain hidden at all times makes the game much more enjoyable and rewarding. I found that to be mostly true in my run through Realistic mode, but some missions were exercises in endless frustration because of it. Still, totally beat that fucker and I'm glad I did.
Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

Easy because I like to enjoy the game's atmosphere and story (also hate being frustrated), but if the gameplay is a bit too easy then I put it up to hard.  
If I enjoyed the game enough to want to play it again then I go to hard.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TooSweet

I play on the harder mode when I got the time for it. But if I have a backlog of games then I do normal in order to go through them all.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#40  Edited By the8bitNacho

Normal almost always. I played both Dragon Age games on easy, because I really just wanted to experience the story and didn't really give a damn about the combat, especially in the second one. It's pretty rare that I'll go back and do a second play-through on hard or higher; that usually only happens with co-operative games. It's even more rare that I will finish said play-through, rather than simply dabbling in the increased difficulty.

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By redbliss

I always start on normal, unless it is a game that I play a lot of and I know I can handle the extra difficulty. Any new games from Halo I start on Heroic and New GH games I start on expert.
Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By Mighty

Usually hard.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theplatypus said:
It depends on the main motive I am playing the game for. If the game has weak mechanics and I'm on it for the story, like Alpha Protocol, I go on the easiest. If the gameplay mechanics are fine but I don't think I want to play it a second time (like Darksiders) I go on the hardest, that way I also get most of the achievements on one run. If it's a game I love everything about, like Uncharted or Arkham Asylum, I tend to play multiple times on every difficulty.
Yep.