#1 Posted by mikey87144 (1649 posts) -
#2 Posted by Murtaug (308 posts) -

Normal first and if a game was really good I will give hard or higher a go for a second play. 

#3 Posted by MEATBALL (3020 posts) -

Normal most of the time, sometimes easy if I know a game is particularly hard and I have the option.

#4 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Normal first.  If the game is great, replay the game with increased difficulty.

#5 Posted by xpxTomxqx (138 posts) -

Usually go for normal if it's a game I know quite a bit about however, if a game has been notorious for high difficulty then I will pick easy. The best example would be Gears of War, I heard that game was hard so started on casual.

#6 Posted by Crono11 (1635 posts) -

I'll play on hard first but I'm not afraid to lower the difficulty if it gets too rough.

#7 Edited by mikey87144 (1649 posts) -

I play my games on hard mainly because on easy the game practically plays itself. On normal difficulty much less so. On hard it feels like a lot of the hand holding is gone and you're left to your own devices. I wish more modern games designed the gameplay better around your difficulty choice instead of making your enemies take more damage and you less.

#8 Posted by christ0phe (952 posts) -

There are already several threads about this

#9 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@christ0phe said:
This.
#10 Posted by DillonWerner (1522 posts) -
@christ0phe said:
#11 Posted by mikey87144 (1649 posts) -
@christ0phe: I've never seen them. Sorry
#12 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

Whatever the default is.

#13 Posted by Maajin (1052 posts) -

It depends on the main motive I am playing the game for. If the game has weak mechanics and I'm on it for the story, like Alpha Protocol, I go on the easiest. If the gameplay mechanics are fine but I don't think I want to play it a second time (like Darksiders) I go on the hardest, that way I also get most of the achievements on one run. If it's a game I love everything about, like Uncharted or Arkham Asylum, I tend to play multiple times on every difficulty.

#14 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Hard most of the time....I will only choose normal if its a genre I'm not familiar with....most modern games are so fucking easy that even hard is a joke.

#15 Posted by Frenchie108 (52 posts) -

normal, i'm an average gamer so i just go with the average difficulty. I usually tell myself i'll play it after on hard but once i've beaten a game, i can't go back (rachet and c;ank only exception).Only game i've played on a hard difficulty was halo reach and i stopped playing the campaign because of how frustrating the game was (gonna play it on normal one of these days). 

#16 Posted by AnimalPixel (31 posts) -

Without a doubt normal. Easy: It's just too easy. Most games don't have a challenge in this mode. Hard: Sometimes the game seems to be unfair. Nothing it balanced, and everything is a bit off putting. Normal: Everything is perfect.

#17 Posted by UnrealDP (1220 posts) -

It really depends, i mean, i play every first person shooter on the hard option (not that i play on the one after hard like insane) but everything else on normal.
#18 Posted by Dimsey (946 posts) -

Pretty much always normal.
Might go to hard if you can play the game through on co-op, it's what we did with Gears of War.
But if I'm by myself normal is fine.

#19 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

Normal, unless I'm replaying the game.

#20 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

Second from hardest.

#21 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i play it on normal. i hate playing on hard. i rage when i play on hard because of how cheap the game is usually is. the hardest difficulty i've played on was hardened on modern warfare 2. that was pretty hard.

#22 Posted by Getz (2986 posts) -

I can count on one hand the number of games where my first run was on the hardest difficulty, and those were games where someone recommended I do it. Splinter Cell: Conviction and Metal Gear Solid 3, and maybe one or two others I can't think of right now. I like to place my trust in the developer that their normal difficulty will provide me a challenge, but one that I can easily overcome with enough knowledge and patience. Sometimes, it doesn't work out quite that way (I'm looking at you Bungie), but most developers seem to work around that kind of model.

#23 Posted by NTM (7235 posts) -

I'm in the minority here. I NEVER play on normal, I hate middle difficulties; always have. I often go to the easiest, then the most difficult. Playing on easy first is the best way to get used to a game so it makes it even easier to get through on hard. I think the way I play makes it so no game I face is actually that difficult in the end. I don't think I can say any game (nowadays) is hard, as long as you are determined to get through it. For example, I don't see Demon's Souls as difficult, but more time consuming since you have to keep upgrading, but as long as you stick to it, you won't have a problem. There are games that can be cheap because of the way a section is made by fault (which I gladly rarely run into), or there's games that are time consuming which will make someone say "I... I just can't do it.", and I think their mixing concepts up. OK, I don't want to get into all of this now since it'll get nowhere and some people just tend to argue over others opinions. Anyways, everyone excited for Deus Ex: Human Revolution? I know I am.

#24 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

Normal and then I go back and play it on hard if I enjoyed it

#25 Posted by CandiBunni (465 posts) -

If normal is too easy, I'll up the difficulty to the next, whether that be medium or hard. But I usually start out on normal or medium (some games have both)

#26 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Normal, not to hard not to easy.
#27 Posted by Spoonybard37 (300 posts) -

I usually start off with normal, then chose a higher difficulty if the game is worth running through again.

#28 Posted by Rebirth1337 (795 posts) -

I used to pick the hardest to get all the achievements and such but I don't care about achievements anymore so I'll play on normal or easy so I can get throw it with my ADHD. Hard mode about 99.9% of the time just makes the game un-fun. Like in CoD it's just nade spam one shot kill.

#29 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -

Normal, then hard when I replay the game.

#30 Posted by PieGuy (313 posts) -

Normal because I have it in my head that it is the difficulty the devlopers wanted you to play.
I will play on hard for trophies or if I love the game.

#31 Posted by buft (3300 posts) -
@Murtaug said:
Normal first and if a game was really good I will give hard or higher a go for a second play. 
I second this, though i normally just move on to the next game halfway through the hard playthrough.
#32 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Normal but if I hear(early reviews) that the game is too easy I will start on HARD(Dragon Age 2). On my second playthroughs I always play on HARD or VERY HARD.

#33 Posted by Rongaryen (268 posts) -

I usually play on normal but, there are exceptions like Dead Space where I started on Hard and Red Faction: Guerrilla where I started on Casual.  Neither game I finished, by the way, which I guess says something about me.

#34 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Getz said:
I can count on one hand the number of games where my first run was on the hardest difficulty, and those were games where someone recommended I do it. Splinter Cell: Conviction and Metal Gear Solid 3,
Why was Splinter Cell: Conviction recommended on hard?
#35 Edited by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Normal, always. I want the challenge to be the secondary thing, while still being there, when the first playthrough is for story and atmosphere. Second round, I like to crank the difficulty up. 

#36 Edited by PenguinDust (12443 posts) -

"Normal" or default except in Halo titles which I bump up to "Hard" because that's actually "Normal" for those games.  

The only time I play "Easy" is when I am trying to unlock characters and stages in a fighter.  Although, there were a few times I dropped DA:O down to easy during my first run-through.

#37 Posted by Getz (2986 posts) -
@Napalm said:
@Getz said:
I can count on one hand the number of games where my first run was on the hardest difficulty, and those were games where someone recommended I do it. Splinter Cell: Conviction and Metal Gear Solid 3,
Why was Splinter Cell: Conviction recommended on hard?
The way it was explained to me was, when you can only take a few hits, the pressure to remain hidden at all times makes the game much more enjoyable and rewarding. I found that to be mostly true in my run through Realistic mode, but some missions were exercises in endless frustration because of it. Still, totally beat that fucker and I'm glad I did.
#38 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2181 posts) -

Easy because I like to enjoy the game's atmosphere and story (also hate being frustrated), but if the gameplay is a bit too easy then I put it up to hard.  
If I enjoyed the game enough to want to play it again then I go to hard.

#39 Posted by TooSweet (374 posts) -

I play on the harder mode when I got the time for it. But if I have a backlog of games then I do normal in order to go through them all.

#40 Posted by Kombat (2205 posts) -

Normal almost always. I played both Dragon Age games on easy, because I really just wanted to experience the story and didn't really give a damn about the combat, especially in the second one. It's pretty rare that I'll go back and do a second play-through on hard or higher; that usually only happens with co-operative games. It's even more rare that I will finish said play-through, rather than simply dabbling in the increased difficulty.

#41 Posted by redbliss (647 posts) -

I always start on normal, unless it is a game that I play a lot of and I know I can handle the extra difficulty. Any new games from Halo I start on Heroic and New GH games I start on expert.
#42 Posted by Empirepaintball (1389 posts) -

Usually hard.

#43 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -
@theplatypus said:
It depends on the main motive I am playing the game for. If the game has weak mechanics and I'm on it for the story, like Alpha Protocol, I go on the easiest. If the gameplay mechanics are fine but I don't think I want to play it a second time (like Darksiders) I go on the hardest, that way I also get most of the achievements on one run. If it's a game I love everything about, like Uncharted or Arkham Asylum, I tend to play multiple times on every difficulty.
Yep.