What game hosts your favorite voice overs?

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By the8bitNacho

Honestly, I have to hand it to Resident Evil for GameCube.  It definitely doesn't have the best voice actors in the world, but it's such a substantial upgrade in quality (much like the rest of the game) over the original that it holds a very special place in my mind.  Jill was no longer the master of unlocking, Barry sounded considerably less like a muscle-head, and Wesker's monotone voice worked wonders over the girly-man one used in the original.  Hell, the rest of the cast weren't improved any less.

Other than that, Grand Theft Auto IV seems like an obvious choice.  It seems to me that almost every character in the game was voiced rather flawlessly.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

Kombat said:

Other than that, Grand Theft Auto IV seems like an obvious choice.  It seems to me that almost every character in the game was voiced rather flawlessly."

Grand Theft Auto 4 is one of my favorites, but along with that the Metal Gear games are up there (even if sometimes the dialogue seems a little out there)

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jayge_

John C. McGinley in Dead Head Fred.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By RHCPfan24

I love the voice overs in GTA IV and Bioshock from a story perspective, but I love Portal's "voice", as well as the Halo series, Mercenaries 1, and Fable 2 just because of the crazy British tone.

Avatar image for theuncannygiraffe
theuncannygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By theuncannygiraffe

The voice acting in the legacy of Kain series was pretty awesome! Michael Bell and Simon Templeman are like gods. heh heh. Also, it has the late, great Tony Jay, so .... yes.

However, I am a big fan of David Hayter's Solid Snake voice, and lately the Final Fantasy series games have being having voice acting of a very high standard. Ellen McLain did a terrific job on Portal.
A couple of my older favorites are Deckard Cain, (of course. lol "Stay awhile and listen...." ) and the Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines cast were very, very good.

I'm glad to see that more and more game developers seem to be investing in a high quality voice cast and voice track in their games these days. For me, in most games anyway, if the voice acting isn't right I just can't get into the game. Voice acting is a very specific skill, which doesn't get the credit it deserves. Two Worlds is an good example of what you end up with when you don't bother to cast talented actors who know what they are doing (appreantly the designers did it themselves. It's dire.). I just hope that video games don't get too bogged down on getting a 'celebrity' to do the voices. A lot of known screen actors are very good physically but just can't bring it all to their vocal performance. Also, a big part of getting lost in the game must surley involve you not thinking of Jack Bauer every time your commander shouts an order (for example).

Wow - forgive the ramble there. I loves me some good voice acting. :)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187

The only voiceover in games that ever mattered: