#1 Edited by Sgtpierceface (619 posts) -

He was on Twitter a bunch until Fez released, and then just stopped. Where did he go?

EDIT: I'm hijacking my own comment and saying that I've always liked Phil Fish. He seems just as loud-mouthed and arrogant as the Penny Arcade guys, but chose the wrong time to make a big deal out of something. He also might've been a tad bit immature about it.

P.S. In the special edition of Indie Game: The Movie, there is apparently a "Phil Fish Epilogue". So I guess they filmed something after FEZ was released?

EDIT AGAIN: I hate the Internet. We could have had Fez II you fuckers! Why'd y'all have to screw it up? I hate you all. Also, the "Special Edition" of IG:TM just got released and The Phil Fish epilogue is great. Makes the recent news even worse.

#2 Posted by Hailinel (24423 posts) -

Fish rage quit Twitter after the internet gave him shift for being an asshole at GDC and the IGF Awards.

#3 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Hailinel: Srsly?

He fell down a fan shaft.

#4 Posted by Sweep (8845 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Fish rage quit Twitter after the internet gave him shift for being an asshole at GDC and the IGF Awards.

In fairness, he was a massive asshole.

#5 Posted by Metzo_Paino (318 posts) -

I've been wondering about this. I knew he stopped using Twitter because people wouldn't stop saying crap to him, but I would have though some sort of interview would have surfaced by now as a Fez postmortem.

After watching Indie Game: The Movie and seeing how both Jonathan Blow and the Team Meat guys became depressed after it was released, and Fez's super hard puzzles being brute forced quickly rather than becoming a rare and mystical thing I hope he is happy with what he created.

#6 Posted by Jrinswand (1705 posts) -
@Sweep: Nah, he just made an insensitive remark. There's a difference between being a dick and acting dickish.
#7 Edited by Fattony12000 (7310 posts) -

@Sweep said:

@Hailinel said:

So Sayeth The Wise Sweep

#8 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

Alex pretty much defeated him single tweet, that escalated.

#9 Posted by Vitor (2815 posts) -

@Sweep said:

@Hailinel said:

Was it just the comments about Japanese games? That's all I ever heard about and the backlash seemed excessive if that was purely the reason.

#10 Posted by Sweep (8845 posts) -

@Vitor: There's that, and the way he handled the backlash on twitter.

#11 Edited by Hailinel (24423 posts) -

@Vitor said:

@Sweep said:

@Hailinel said:

Was it just the comments about Japanese games? That's all I ever heard about and the backlash seemed excessive if that was purely the reason.

After that happened, he subsequently won the top IGF award for Fez (for the second time in four years) and then basically told everyone on Twitter to suck his dick. As a winner, he demonstrated no grace nor class.

#12 Posted by Donkeycow (556 posts) -

@Vitor said:

@Sweep said:

@Hailinel said:

Agreed, especially considering to a certain extent he was right, the japanese game industry for the most part isn't innovating or exciting

#13 Posted by coaxmetal (1607 posts) -

He died, stung by wasps. RIP Phil Fish. (Yeah, rip)

#14 Posted by CookieMonster (2416 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Vitor said:

@Sweep said:

@Hailinel said:

After that happened, he subsequently won the top IGF award for Fez (for the second time in four years) and then basically told everyone on Twitter to suck his dick. As a winner, he demonstrated no grace nor class.

He didn't tell everyone to suck his dick. It was one guy being a bellend.

#15 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

@Sweep said:

@Hailinel said:

Sweep speak truth.

#16 Posted by Nilhelm (28 posts) -

-Badmouth japanese games

-"borrow" mechanics from japanese games

-????

- Stupidity

#17 Posted by Metzo_Paino (318 posts) -

@Nilhelm said:

-Badmouth japanese games

-"borrow" mechanics from japanese games

-????

- Stupidity

He was badmouthing the current Japanese AAA games, not the classics that he obviously holds dear because Fez is an homage to them.

#18 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

I like Phil Fish. *shrug*

#19 Posted by Jimbo (9804 posts) -

He swam up his own asshole.

#20 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

Anyone have any pictures of his dickhead antics, it would have to be a pretty bad backlash to send him off the internet. And that can't be a good feeling.

#21 Posted by Sweep (8845 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

He swam up his own asshole.

"He's so far up his own ass, that lump in his throat is his nose."

#22 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

He had a twitter tantrum because he's the world's smuggest manchild :)

#23 Posted by Nentisys (889 posts) -

@Donkeycow said:

Agreed, especially considering to a certain extent he was right, the japanese game industry for the most part isn't innovating or exciting

The games industry as a whole isn't innovative or exciting for the most part.

#24 Posted by TMThomsen (2072 posts) -

He only spoke the truth in my honest opinion.

#25 Posted by MattyFTM (14370 posts) -

@Sweep said:

@Hailinel said:

Well they say that it takes one to know one.

Moderator Online
#26 Posted by Hunger (19 posts) -

After watching Indie Game: The Movie, it's easy to see why he acted the way he did. Jonathan Blow gained a reputation of being arrogant and kind of an asshole post-launch of Braid because he felt people didn't understand his game. Phil Fish I'm sure is the same way, judging by his passion when he was making it. He made Fez for so long, it's hard for him to see the mistakes as he said in the movie, and also I'm sure he feels no one truly understands Fez and is upset about it.

#27 Posted by pyromagnestir (4300 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

@Sweep said:

@Hailinel said:

Mod fight!

It's like a cat fight, only less sexy. Or more sexy?

#28 Posted by MattyFTM (14370 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

@MattyFTM said:

@Sweep said:

@Hailinel said:

Mod fight!

Definitely more sexy.

Moderator Online
#29 Posted by Hailinel (24423 posts) -
@TMThomsen

Even if you agree with him, you at least have to admit that the time, place, and manner of his words were very poorly chosen. You don't just insult people to their faces when they've been nothing but polite and appreciative toward you.
#30 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10919 posts) -

Maybe he just got back to work. It took him forever to make Fez, it'll probably take a long time to make whatever he makes next.

#31 Posted by buft (3316 posts) -

Any time i write anything to one of the Giant Bomb staff on twitter i get several snarky message from other users of this site with the same basic twitter etiquette that phil fish showed in his posts. what the fuck are we judging him for? are we so high and mighty, i put my hand up and say if i won something i could be proud of, everyone else can suck my dick and choke on it!

#32 Edited by SeanFoster (866 posts) -

He was at a screening of Indie Game: The Movie I attended about a month ago. He seemed like he'd had enough of internet culture for the time being. He's working on a new game that he wouldn't talk about much since he felt like he revealed Fez way, way too early.

#33 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -

I hope he didn't die, because he has yet to give the go ahead for PC Fez.

EDIT: Also, because I'm a good person.

#34 Posted by wewantsthering (1564 posts) -

After watching Indie Game: The Movie, he seemed like a real jerk so I'm not surprised by any of this...

#35 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

1 less asshole on the internet, not much to complain about there.

#36 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

@Riboflavin said:

He died, stung by wasps. RIP Phil Fish. (Yeah, rip)

/fart

#37 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -
@Hailinel
@TMThomsen

Even if you agree with him, you at least have to admit that the time, place, and manner of his words were very poorly chosen. You don't just insult people to their faces when they've been nothing but polite and appreciative toward you.
Yep
#38 Posted by AlexW00d (6240 posts) -

I like how when presented with the supposedly dickheadness he carried out, people ignore it and continue to be hypocrites. Oh internet.

#39 Posted by Cerialthriller (20 posts) -

damn I thought this said Phil Flash.

#40 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@buft said:

what the fuck are we judging him for?

Being an asshole?

@buft said:

are we so high and mighty,

It's high and mighty to call somebody out for being a dick?

#41 Posted by EuanDewar (4899 posts) -

Yup, I probably would have told that dude to suck it too.

#42 Edited by sixpin (1287 posts) -

What Phil Fish said was dickish and he reacted poorly, but I write it off just as I do when Jeff tells people to "Fuck off idiot" on ForumSpring. Neither are completely unjustified in what they have said in a public forum, even if staying silent would have been more mature. Doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the things they create.

Edit: But to the OP's original point. I dunno about Fish. Dude just disappeared after Fez released. Maybe he's working on more puzzles and fake alphabets.

#43 Posted by OneManX (1687 posts) -

Just seeing is antics a few months ago on Twitter... dude just came off as the biggest Dbag around. I just unfollowed him.

Like I'm happy you released this game and it is a success for you, but fuck you.

#44 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Part of the reason I didn't buy Fez, and don't care to is how much of a giant dick hole he seems to be.

#45 Posted by Sweep (8845 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@MattyFTM said:

@Sweep said:

@Hailinel said:

Mod fight!

Definitely more sexy.

#46 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -
@wmaustin55
I like Phil Fish. *shrug*
#47 Posted by CrazyBagMan (841 posts) -

I like Phil. I guess I get the hate, but I definitely think it's way bigger than it should be. He spoke his mind as, and has a history of doing such. There's nothing actually wrong with that, especially when he's basically right.

#48 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

@ckeats: What did he say to Fish?

#49 Edited by ckeats (489 posts) -

@Ace829: Alex made a non-direct tweet, which led to a breakdown.

#50 Posted by Milkman (16680 posts) -

The internet likes to make sweeping judgments on strangers they know nothing about but I like to say that he made a fairly dickish comment on Japanese developers, one that had a lot of truth behind it but could have been articulated better. Also, 

@CookieMonster said:

@Hailinel said:

@Vitor said:

@Sweep said:

@Hailinel said:

He didn't tell everyone to suck his dick. It was one guy being a bellend.

This is absolutely the correct response to some asshole GAF troll.