What Have I Missed This Gen? (PS3)

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Pessh

During the second half of this generation my interest in gaming waned a bit and I missed out on a lot of titles. Now I've recaptured that enthusiasm and I'm looking to fill in some holes with your help in the form of recommendations, doesn't have to be a critical darling, or belong to any specific genre, just has to be available on PS3/PC. Could just go through the highest-rated titles on metacritic but I'd prefer to know what YOU personally feel I missed out on.

What I have played

• Assassins Creed: Original-Revelations
  • Arkham Series
  • Bioshock
  • Borderlands
  • Burnout Paradise
  • Modern Warfare 1 & 2
  • Catherine
  • Dark Souls
  • Devil May Cry 4
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • Eternal Sonata
  • Fallout 3 (Not a fan of Bethesda games)
  • Far Cry 2
  • Final Fantasy 13 & 13-2
  • God of War 3
  • GTA 4
  • Gran Turismo 5
  • Heavenly Sword
  • Heavy Rain
  • Infamous 1 & 2
  • Killzone 2
  • L.A. Noire
  • Littlebigplanet
  • Mass Effect 1-3
  • MGS4
  • Mirrors Edge
  • Motorstorm Pacific Rift
  • Portal 2
  • PoP 08
  • Few Ratchet and Clanks
  • Rayman Origins
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Resident Evil 5
  • Resistance 1 & 2
  • Few Rockbands
  • Skate 2
  • Sonic Generations
  • Soul Calibur 4
  • SSF4
  • Tekken Tag 2
  • UMvC3
  • Uncharted 1-3
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Vanquish
  • Wipeout HD Fury

As well as most 360 exclusives, Fable 2&3, Gears, Forza, Halo, Viva Pinata, some other multiplat stuff but pre 08/09 so probably nothing that will come up here, only a couple of PSN titles like Walking Dead and Hotline Miami, and my steam library which isn't that big, and I'm not really looking to expand it, more of a console gamer.

Thanks but no thanks

• Skyrim - Don't think that they're at all bad, but Bethesda games just don't do it for me
  • Saints Row - Played some of 1 & 3, neither grabbed me

Thanks very much, I realize this could be quite a sizable list, but like I said, I just want to know what you personally think I should sure I play before November rolls around.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

Good lord, comma splices.

Sorry. Anyway, play Tokyo Jungle. It's hilarious.

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By bushpusherr

If you enjoyed Dark Souls, Demon's Souls is great game on the PS3. If you enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles, look into XCOM on the PC. If you enjoyed the God of War style gameplay, try Bayonetta.

I also notice that there is a massive lack of smaller "indie" games on your list. Some of these may only be available to you on PC, but ones that immediately come to mind: Super Meat Boy, Limbo, Braid, Antichamber, The Swapper, Mark of the Ninja, and Journey are all games that can't be recommended too highly.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pessh

@jjweatherman: It's, fine, I'm, pretty tired, so, you'll have to excuse, my writing.

Thanks for the recommendation.

@bushpusherr: Really want to play Bayonetta but I heard performance on PS3 is so-so, will definitely add X-Com and Demon's Souls to the list. You're totally right about indie games, it's partly because I don't play PC much, but mostly because I prefer physical media. I have played some titles like SMB, Binding of Isaac, Trine, Limbo. There's a disc version of Journey now bundled with Fl0w and Flower, maybe I'll pick that up. Thanks dude.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

I'll recommend Resistance 3 every time one of these threads comes up and I see it. The first one is all right, the second one is kinda poo, but the third one is pretty good in my opinion. It's one of the few shooters with a well-written and voice acted main character, and it's one of the few games I've played where the post-apocalyptic, nearly dead human race really feels desperate and impactful instead of more whimsical or Mad Max-ish. Metro 2033 is like this as well, where it's clear that humanity is *this* close to being dead instead of almost standing up on its feet like in the Fallout games.

Also of note are the InFamous games, the Ratchet and Clank games, and Journey. The Killzone games are big, dumb, stupid shooter fun, if you need that, but most people have had enough of that this generation.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You should really play Journey. The multiplayer servers won't be around forever.

jayu26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By jayu26

@believer258 said:

I'll recommend Resistance 3 every time one of these threads comes up and I see it. The first one is all right, the second one is kinda poo, but the third one is pretty good in my opinion. It's one of the few shooters with a well-written and voice acted main character, and it's one of the few games I've played where the post-apocalyptic, nearly dead human race really feels desperate and impactful instead of more whimsical or Mad Max-ish.

This man knows what's up. Disregard what you feel for Resistance 2 (probably you hate it) and play Resistance 3 right now. I see you have not played Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite, so those are obvious. Ni no Kuni if you like JRPG. People seem to like Spec ops and Sleeping Dogs. Honestly just get PS+, in few months your library will explode.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Maybe check out The Witcher 2.

If you like RPGs on the PC check out Drakensang: River of Time. The optional fight at the bottom of the river temple is a challenge.

Deus Ex!

Demon's Souls is GREAT! The Old Monk boss fight is awesome if you have multiplayer enabled.

Bayonetta & Metal Gear Uprising - the two action games this generation that do it right.

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 is on PC - not quite as good as Xbox360 version but good still.

Avatar image for razoredraspberry
razoredraspberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

The only PS3 exclusive I really liked was Yakuza 4, but I'd recommend just tracking down a copy of Yakuza 2 for the PS2 instead because it's still the best game in the series.

tyler1285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tyler1285

YAKUZA THOUGH

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By DarthOrange

@jayu26 said:

@believer258 said:

I'll recommend Resistance 3 every time one of these threads comes up and I see it. The first one is all right, the second one is kinda poo, but the third one is pretty good in my opinion. It's one of the few shooters with a well-written and voice acted main character, and it's one of the few games I've played where the post-apocalyptic, nearly dead human race really feels desperate and impactful instead of more whimsical or Mad Max-ish.

This man knows what's up. Disregard what you feel for Resistance 2 (probably you hate it) and play Resistance 3 right now.

RESISTANCE 3! DO IT!!!!!!

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@taku128 said:

The only PS3 exclusive I really liked was Yakuza 4, but I'd recommend just tracking down a copy of Yakuza 2 for the PS2 instead because it's still the best game in the series.

Word. I am still bummed there is no word of the HD release of 1 and 2 for either Wii U or PS3.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By musubi
  • Yakuza 3
  • Yakuza 4
  • Yakuza Dead Souls
  • Folklore
  • Demon's Souls
  • Playstation All-Stars
  • Twisted Metal
MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By MetalBaofu

I'll second the Yakuza games(except for Dead Souls), and also throw in Guacamelee, Dragon's Dogma, and Sleeping Dogs. And if you care at all for JRPG's you might like the Atelier games on the PS3. Personally, I thought the Atelier games got better with each installment.

Edit: Thought of a couple more. No More Heroes is kinda interesting, if you've never played it on the Wii. Also, the Sly Cooper HD collection and/or the new Sly Cooper game. Oh, and for another JRPG Tales of Graces f, or maybe the upcoming Tales of Xillia.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

yep i second the yakuza games as well.

id also add asura's wrath, bayonetta, and bioshock infinite.

oh and metal gear rising.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:
id also add asura's wrath

That one slipped my mind. I'd definitely recommend that one, as well.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you lack a lot of memorable indie titles. If you have a PC available go for Bastion (PC), Journey (PS3) and FEZ (PC). So you have no interest in typical PC titles?

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing through the new Tomb Raider right now and having a blast.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Humanity

@pessh: I see a clear lack of METAL GEAR SOLID 5 on that list.

ImaTreee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Last of Us is something you definitely must play if you haven't yet. Also since you played Heavy Rain, you may enjoy the upcoming Beyond: Two Souls.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Seppli
  • Max Payne 3
  • Dragon's Dogma : Dark Arisen
  • Warhammer 40k : Space Marine
  • Criterion's Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (2010) and Most Wanted (2012)
  • Demon's Souls
  • XCOM - Enemy Unknown
  • All of the Battlefields (at least if you can get behind multiplayer, but BF:BC 1 was quite unique singleplayer-wise too)
  • ...and lastly The Last of Us.
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@seppli said:
  • Max Payne 3
  • Dragon's Dogma : Dark Arisen
  • Warhammer 40k : Space Marine
  • Criterion's Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (2010) and Most Wanted (2012)
  • Demon's Souls
  • All of the Battlefields (at least if you can get behind multiplayer, but BF:BC 1 was quite unique singleplayer-wise too)
  • ...and lastly The Last of Us.

I would like to back this list as it is filled with goodness. Dragons Dogma.. such an amazing game.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#24  Edited By StarvingGamer

This is what I could think of. I starred the ones that I think you really really really should play. Feel free to ask if you want me to expand on my feelings about any of these games.

ftomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ftomato

Alpha Protocol (buggy but otherwise phenomenal), Spelunky, Binding of Isaac, Orange Box, La Mulana (supposedly 2D Dark Souls), pretty much any HD remake that came out this gen of games you haven't played yet

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not a PS3 game, but since you did mention games available on the PC, I feel like I should recommend The Book of Unwritten Tales. If you have any interest at all in adventure games, it is an absolute delight.

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I definitely reiterate these.

Also, I personally really liked:

• Red Faction Guerrilla - One of my favorite open world games of all time
  • Blur - One of my favorite car combat/racing games
  • Dead Space 1 & 2 (didn't really like 3)
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SXX is pretty baller too. Not all of it, but trick-centric tracks are a hoot and a holler! Second Dead Space 1 & 2. Didn't get around to the third one yet, but the demo was fine too. Red Faction Guerrilla has gaming's best sledge hammers, so if wrecking shit with a sledge hammer sounds like a good time to you - you should definitely play it.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the recommendations. Are the Demons Souls servers still up?

@mrfluke: @metalbaofu: @demoskinos: @tyler1285: Never played Yakuza 1 and 2, would I be alright just jumping into 3/4/Dead Souls? Is it still worth it at that point?

@starvinggamer: Wow thanks dude, interested in Max Payne but concern was not enough baggage. Never played the first 2. Where would you recommend I start with out of Bayonetta/Rising/DmC?

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Max_Cherry

Play Metal Gear Solid 4. It's the last proper Metal Gear game ever.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By Yadilie

@pessh: Eh, you can watch the movies at the beginning of 3 or 4 to get the run down of plot. But I would highly suggest if you ever want to play 1 or 2 to play them first. As the game has evolved quite dramatically and playing 1 after 4, or 5 if they ever think America gives two shits about Yakuza, will probably hurt your head a lot. Avoid Dead Souls at all costs unless you fall deeply in love with the series. Even then..

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Regardless of whether or not you played them on the PS2, you should definitely play the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD collection. The higher resolution and improved framerate do wonders.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pessh: I jumped in with Yakuza 3 first with no problem. As mentioned, I felt the summary things they have did a good enough job filling in what happened previously.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@pessh: Hmmm, if you're sure you're going to play them all, I'd say Rising > DmC > Bayonetta. All three are solid story-wise in their own ways, but that order will give you a nice progression of gameplay. I honestly have no idea how bad the PS3 version of Bayonetta is though, so it's hard to say whether or not you'd be able to appreciate it fully.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By huntad

@believer258: I agree. Resistance 3 is a solid game, and I had a good time playing it all the way through. Resistance 1 wasn't great, and Resistance 2 was good for it's co-op mode. But the story/campaign in Resistance 3 is great. Doesn't hurt that it's a great looking game either.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd also suggest Bayonetta. The combat engine is brilliant fun and full of depth, and I love the over the top, tongue in cheek humour laced throughout the game's design. That said It does run like ass on the PS3. Had it drop to 1fps quite a few times. Sega botched the port job apparently.

Other than that you've listed pretty much everything I would've recommended.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None. You played Valkyria Chronicles. That list is as perfect as it'll ever get. Otherwise I'd say Far Cry 3, Demon's Souls, Witcher 2, and a few others.

But... Valkyria Chronicles. It's done already. Go. Rest. Save your strength.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Folklore - it was mentioned before, but this is probably one of the most hidden gems of the generation. A monster-collecting JPRG.