What is Giant Bomb's most controversial review?

• 111 results
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I'd be interested in seeing what people think were the most controversial, official Giant Bomb reviews. Reading through review comments full of debate, anger and frustration is really fun and I'd be interested in seeing anything I missed.

Inspiration for this thread came from Brad's recent Resident Evil 6 review and the comment section underneath. Then I thought back to Jeff's Catherine review, which has more than double that of RE6's current amount of comments and which I'd say was probably the most controversial review on GB. The comment section linked to Jeff's BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger review is also a fun read.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Phatmac

Probably the Catherine review.

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Sbaitso

Catherine, easily.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By laserbolts

Yeah Catherine the comments were pretty sad.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By EquitasInvictus

Catherine was big, but Kane & Lynch: Dead Men was a controversy that practically conceived Giant Bomb in the first place! (Not really but kind of?)

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

But Catherine sucks...

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By nightriff

Well now I'm going to go read the comments on the Catherine review, see you in 20 minutes

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By colourful_hippie

@EquitasInvictus: K & L doesn't count cuz that's still Gamespot.

I would have to say Catherine for sure. There are some whiny vocal minorities shouting down Brad's review but it looks tame compared to when the review for Catherine was up.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't people freak out over Lost Planet 2 as well?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@MAN_FLANNEL said:

But Catherine sucks...

I think I recall you being in the comment section and being part of the reason it was so entertaining to read.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Animasta

@MAN_FLANNEL said:

But Catherine sucks...

nah he just wasn't good at it

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lost Planet 2 immediately came to mind. There was a HUGE shitstorm over that that resulted in a couple high-profile users ending up being eventually banned because of how they started acting after that review. Might have been another game that started that and I could be misremembering however.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By beargirl1
nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By nightriff

Sadly a lot of the funny/flaming comments in the Catherine review were removed, damn!

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By napalm

Jeff's BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger and King Of Fighters XII review, because all of the runoff of the insufferable fanboys who couldn't get enough bitching for the BBCT score, decided to muck up the KOFXII review by complaining it also got a three/five stars. And who cares about BlazBlue now? Absolutely nobody.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By cornbredx

Japanese developed game reviews tend to be controversial in general on this site just from my perception. 

Now that I think about it Japanese games in general seem to have controversial reviews. Rabid blood eating fan base them games have.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

@FluxWaveZ said:

@MAN_FLANNEL said:

But Catherine sucks...

I think I recall you being in the comment section and being part of the reason it was so entertaining to read.

Just checked ... never posted in it. You're probably thinking of a different guy that also idolizes Al Borland.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TruthTellah

@FluxWaveZ: Probably Catherine and Lost Planet 2. In the long run, I don't think Brad's RE6 review will be too controversial. It's a very different kind of situation.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Petiew

Jeff reviewed BlazBlue? After suffering through that quicklook I would preferred to have never known this.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By Barrabas

@Napalm said:

Jeff's BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger and King Of Fighters XII review, because all of the runoff of the insufferable fanboys who couldn't get enough bitching for the BBCT score, decided to muck up the KOFXII review by complaining it also got a three/five stars. And who cares about BlazBlue now? Absolutely nobody.

I do. I love that game. In fact I'd put its sequel down as one of the top 3 fighting games this generation (along with SSFIV and MK9). KoF XII was super bad though. People saying otherwise are crazy.

Anyway, I never really understood why people get so incensed over bad review scores for games/series they like. It shouldn't impact your enjoyment of the game at all. It's never bothered me when a reviewer didn't like a game that I enjoyed.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Ace829

I remember Halo: Reach getting 4 stars instead of 5 put a lot of panties in a twist.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By csl316

Pretty sure the Syndicate review had some people scratching their heads.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By NoobSauceG7

Catherine in my opinion. RE6 is deserving of that score so not that...

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@MAN_FLANNEL said:

Just checked ... never posted in it. You're probably thinking of a different guy that also idolizes Al Borland.

Ah, that must be it.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By golguin

I would say the Catherine Review. Can't think of any other one.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By nightriff

@FluxWaveZ: You know if anyone has sent them an email on this? I would be curious to see what the crew thinks is their most controversial review and the one that got the most backlash that surprised them.

On kinda a side note: What games do you think would've gotten a controversial review? Dragon Age 2 was probably a damned if you do, damned if you don't. If it got a low score people would've been displeased because it is, in its own right a fine game, and if it got a high score people would've been pissed because it changed so much and was obviously rushed (I would be one of those people sadly).

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By awesomeusername

@Nightriff said:

Well now I'm going to go read the comments on the Catherine review, see you in 20 minutes

@TruthTellah said:

I don't think Brad's RE6 review will be too controversial. It's a very different kind of situation.

I hear Brad is going to get fired and make a new website...

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By nightriff

@awesomeusername said:

@Nightriff said:

Don't bother, it looks like a lot of the funny comments were removed

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By AngelN7

Hmm so controversial means some people don't like when a certain game gets a bad score but they don't care if other game gets a high score, I would say some games don't deserve a good "score/review" but in the end only crazy people cares about scores... hell I'd say only crazy people cares about reviews but that's just me.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By awesomeusername

@Nightriff said:

@awesomeusername said:

@Nightriff said:

Why tank you(See what I did there?). I guess I'll proceed to my usual things-to-do-tonight list then.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By nightriff

@awesomeusername said:

@Nightriff said:

@awesomeusername said:

@Nightriff said:

Why tank you(See what I did there?). I guess I'll proceed to my usual things-to-do-tonight list then.

Unless you want to read through 619 comments commenting on comments that don't exist anymore, could be fun?

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ShadyPingu

Most of the good ones have already been mentioned.

In general, reviews for Japanese games tend to draw the most controversy on this site--various factors this gen have combined to give some fans of established Japanese franchises a persecution complex, which I'd say is the main cause of this sort of uproar.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Nightriff said:

@FluxWaveZ: You know if anyone has sent them an email on this? I would be curious to see what the crew thinks is their most controversial review and the one that got the most backlash that surprised them.

No, I don't remember them ever discussing a topic like this. Doesn't seem like something the GB guys would really talk about, either.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#34  Edited By gla55jAw

I remember after reading Brad's Final Fantasy XIII review, I thought it sounded more like a 4 than a 3, but I guess the answer has to be the Catherine Review.

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Cramsy

Red Dead Redemption

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AuthenticM

For me ? Resident Evil 6.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By zombie2011

The Catherine review has some of the worst comments.

Also Diable 3, getting 5 stars brought out a lot of the haters on GB.

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RuthLoose

Brad's Diablo III in retrospect might seem a bit crazy to have received a 5 star review what with how little content is in the game and how auction house-driven everything is.

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SuperWristBands

Yeah, I'd go with the original BlazBlue.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#40  Edited By Icemael
@Napalm said:

Uh... what? BlazBlue is quite popular amongst fighting game players.
DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By DoctorWelch

I didn't really know there was all that much controversy over the Catherine review. The one that comes to mind for me was the Lost Planet 2 review. I will not deny, and am not ashamed to admit, that I had a very large hand in the criticism towards Brad's LP2 review (considering I started one of the very large threads about it if not THE thread about it).

It's weird to think how much I've changed in two and half years, and even though I still stick to some of those philosophical points about how to approach games criticism it was easy to realize how it was stupid of me to

1. Write up a heated reaction at 2 in the morning

2. Think I was knowledgeable enough at the time to question how industry professionals did what they do best

(though now I feel I am knowledgeable enough to have mature debates or discussions about the way reviews are written and approached, and it's something I'd love to do with the GB guys if I ever had a chance)

and 3. Expect the internet to understand where I was coming from and have a rational and civil discussion, even if I was misguided.

In conclusion, I guess I always try to think about what Jonathan Blow said about interacting with people on the internet. That often times I won't really understand what you are trying to say, and you probably won't understand what I'm trying to say, but we'd all be a little better off if we didn't act like crazy people and simply try to have a calm conversation. So yeah, there are still times when I slip up and react poorly, but I think everyone does. We'd just be better off if we all remembered that fact. Yeah, someone may be saying something that you think is childish and stupid, but maybe instead of acting like a dick and making the situation worse, you should try to break the trend of the "well, it's the fucking internet", and try for a reasonable conversation.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GnaTSoL

Forget the reviews! That vomit of a article Patrick wrote about feeling like a pussy infront of boothbabes has to be the dumbest thing I ever read. Don't fear boobs, whereever they may be.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#43  Edited By apathylad

Catherine and BlazBlue come to mind. On the other hand, you had people complaining that Jeff's review of Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe was too positive.

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RuthLoose

@GnaTSoL said:

Forget the reviews! That vomit of a article Patrick wrote about feeling like a pussy infront of boothbabes has to be the dumbest thing I ever read. Don't fear boobs, whereever they may be.

BUT FAUX-FEMINISM!

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GnaTSoL said:

In all honestly though, they are kinda dumb.  It seems so awkward in that kind of environment and its just.....  weird.  
Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: Everything that happens at conventions and press shows is dumb, awkward, and weird

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By napalm

@Icemael said:

@Napalm said:

Uh... what? BlazBlue is quite popular amongst fighting game players.

No it isn't. It wasn't at Evolution 2012 because of an embarrassingly low player turnout.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Fredchuckdave said:

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: Everything that happens at conventions and press shows is dumb, awkward, and weird

exactly
DizzyMedal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DizzyMedal

@Nightriff said:

On kinda a side note: What games do you think would've gotten a controversial review? Dragon Age 2 was probably a damned if you do, damned if you don't. If it got a low score people would've been displeased because it is, in its own right a fine game, and if it got a high score people would've been pissed because it changed so much and was obviously rushed (I would be one of those people sadly).

Vinny said on a bombcast he probably would have given it 3 stars if he'd reviewed it. He said 2 would have been too low and 4 would have been too high. If anyone was going to disagree they might have made their points in the comments there. I don't remember which one it was though, sorry. Hell it may have even been in one of the GOTY discussions, I just don't know.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@MAN_FLANNEL said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@MAN_FLANNEL said:

But Catherine sucks...

It bothers me that I know there is another such man on the site...