• 111 results
#1 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

I'd be interested in seeing what people think were the most controversial, official Giant Bomb reviews. Reading through review comments full of debate, anger and frustration is really fun and I'd be interested in seeing anything I missed.

Inspiration for this thread came from Brad's recent Resident Evil 6 review and the comment section underneath. Then I thought back to Jeff's Catherine review, which has more than double that of RE6's current amount of comments and which I'd say was probably the most controversial review on GB. The comment section linked to Jeff's BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger review is also a fun read.

#2 Posted by Phatmac (5723 posts) -

Probably the Catherine review.

#3 Posted by Sbaitso (514 posts) -

Catherine, easily.

#4 Posted by laserbolts (5314 posts) -

Yeah Catherine the comments were pretty sad.

#5 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2011 posts) -

Catherine was big, but Kane & Lynch: Dead Men was a controversy that practically conceived Giant Bomb in the first place! (Not really but kind of?)

#6 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2462 posts) -

But Catherine sucks...

#7 Edited by Nightriff (4931 posts) -

Well now I'm going to go read the comments on the Catherine review, see you in 20 minutes

#8 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4331 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus: K & L doesn't count cuz that's still Gamespot.

I would have to say Catherine for sure. There are some whiny vocal minorities shouting down Brad's review but it looks tame compared to when the review for Catherine was up.

#9 Posted by ToTheNines (667 posts) -

Didn't people freak out over Lost Planet 2 as well?

#10 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@MAN_FLANNEL said:

But Catherine sucks...

I think I recall you being in the comment section and being part of the reason it was so entertaining to read.

#11 Posted by Animasta (14651 posts) -

@MAN_FLANNEL said:

But Catherine sucks...

nah he just wasn't good at it

#12 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Lost Planet 2 immediately came to mind. There was a HUGE shitstorm over that that resulted in a couple high-profile users ending up being eventually banned because of how they started acting after that review. Might have been another game that started that and I could be misremembering however.

#13 Edited by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -
#14 Posted by Nightriff (4931 posts) -

Sadly a lot of the funny/flaming comments in the Catherine review were removed, damn!

#15 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Jeff's BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger and King Of Fighters XII review, because all of the runoff of the insufferable fanboys who couldn't get enough bitching for the BBCT score, decided to muck up the KOFXII review by complaining it also got a three/five stars. And who cares about BlazBlue now? Absolutely nobody.

#16 Posted by CornBREDX (4875 posts) -

Japanese developed game reviews tend to be controversial in general on this site just from my perception. 

Now that I think about it Japanese games in general seem to have controversial reviews. Rabid blood eating fan base them games have.

#17 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2462 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@MAN_FLANNEL said:

But Catherine sucks...

I think I recall you being in the comment section and being part of the reason it was so entertaining to read.

Just checked ... never posted in it. You're probably thinking of a different guy that also idolizes Al Borland.

#18 Edited by TruthTellah (8578 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Probably Catherine and Lost Planet 2. In the long run, I don't think Brad's RE6 review will be too controversial. It's a very different kind of situation.

#19 Posted by Petiew (1334 posts) -

Jeff reviewed BlazBlue? After suffering through that quicklook I would preferred to have never known this.

#20 Edited by Barrabas (325 posts) -

@Napalm said:

Jeff's BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger and King Of Fighters XII review, because all of the runoff of the insufferable fanboys who couldn't get enough bitching for the BBCT score, decided to muck up the KOFXII review by complaining it also got a three/five stars. And who cares about BlazBlue now? Absolutely nobody.

I do. I love that game. In fact I'd put its sequel down as one of the top 3 fighting games this generation (along with SSFIV and MK9). KoF XII was super bad though. People saying otherwise are crazy.

Anyway, I never really understood why people get so incensed over bad review scores for games/series they like. It shouldn't impact your enjoyment of the game at all. It's never bothered me when a reviewer didn't like a game that I enjoyed.

#21 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

I remember Halo: Reach getting 4 stars instead of 5 put a lot of panties in a twist.

#22 Posted by csl316 (8195 posts) -

Pretty sure the Syndicate review had some people scratching their heads.

#23 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1236 posts) -

Catherine in my opinion. RE6 is deserving of that score so not that...

#24 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@MAN_FLANNEL said:

Just checked ... never posted in it. You're probably thinking of a different guy that also idolizes Al Borland.

Ah, that must be it.

#25 Posted by golguin (3849 posts) -

I would say the Catherine Review. Can't think of any other one.

#26 Posted by Nightriff (4931 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: You know if anyone has sent them an email on this? I would be curious to see what the crew thinks is their most controversial review and the one that got the most backlash that surprised them.

On kinda a side note: What games do you think would've gotten a controversial review? Dragon Age 2 was probably a damned if you do, damned if you don't. If it got a low score people would've been displeased because it is, in its own right a fine game, and if it got a high score people would've been pissed because it changed so much and was obviously rushed (I would be one of those people sadly).

#27 Edited by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

Well now I'm going to go read the comments on the Catherine review, see you in 20 minutes

@TruthTellah said:

I don't think Brad's RE6 review will be too controversial. It's a very different kind of situation.

I hear Brad is going to get fired and make a new website...

#28 Posted by Nightriff (4931 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

@Nightriff said:

Don't bother, it looks like a lot of the funny comments were removed

#29 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Hmm so controversial means some people don't like when a certain game gets a bad score but they don't care if other game gets a high score, I would say some games don't deserve a good "score/review" but in the end only crazy people cares about scores... hell I'd say only crazy people cares about reviews but that's just me.

#30 Edited by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

@awesomeusername said:

@Nightriff said:

Why tank you(See what I did there?). I guess I'll proceed to my usual things-to-do-tonight list then.

#31 Posted by Nightriff (4931 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

@Nightriff said:

@awesomeusername said:

@Nightriff said:

Why tank you(See what I did there?). I guess I'll proceed to my usual things-to-do-tonight list then.

Unless you want to read through 619 comments commenting on comments that don't exist anymore, could be fun?

#32 Posted by Encephalon (1240 posts) -

Most of the good ones have already been mentioned.

In general, reviews for Japanese games tend to draw the most controversy on this site--various factors this gen have combined to give some fans of established Japanese franchises a persecution complex, which I'd say is the main cause of this sort of uproar.

#33 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

@FluxWaveZ: You know if anyone has sent them an email on this? I would be curious to see what the crew thinks is their most controversial review and the one that got the most backlash that surprised them.

No, I don't remember them ever discussing a topic like this. Doesn't seem like something the GB guys would really talk about, either.

#34 Posted by gla55jAw (2687 posts) -

I remember after reading Brad's Final Fantasy XIII review, I thought it sounded more like a 4 than a 3, but I guess the answer has to be the Catherine Review.

#35 Posted by Cramsy (1164 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption

#36 Posted by AuthenticM (3700 posts) -

For me ? Resident Evil 6.

#37 Posted by zombie2011 (4969 posts) -

The Catherine review has some of the worst comments.

Also Diable 3, getting 5 stars brought out a lot of the haters on GB.

#38 Edited by RuthLoose (784 posts) -

Brad's Diablo III in retrospect might seem a bit crazy to have received a 5 star review what with how little content is in the game and how auction house-driven everything is.

#39 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Yeah, I'd go with the original BlazBlue.

#40 Posted by Icemael (6312 posts) -
@Napalm said:

Uh... what? BlazBlue is quite popular amongst fighting game players.
#41 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

I didn't really know there was all that much controversy over the Catherine review. The one that comes to mind for me was the Lost Planet 2 review. I will not deny, and am not ashamed to admit, that I had a very large hand in the criticism towards Brad's LP2 review (considering I started one of the very large threads about it if not THE thread about it).

It's weird to think how much I've changed in two and half years, and even though I still stick to some of those philosophical points about how to approach games criticism it was easy to realize how it was stupid of me to

1. Write up a heated reaction at 2 in the morning

2. Think I was knowledgeable enough at the time to question how industry professionals did what they do best

(though now I feel I am knowledgeable enough to have mature debates or discussions about the way reviews are written and approached, and it's something I'd love to do with the GB guys if I ever had a chance)

and 3. Expect the internet to understand where I was coming from and have a rational and civil discussion, even if I was misguided.

In conclusion, I guess I always try to think about what Jonathan Blow said about interacting with people on the internet. That often times I won't really understand what you are trying to say, and you probably won't understand what I'm trying to say, but we'd all be a little better off if we didn't act like crazy people and simply try to have a calm conversation. So yeah, there are still times when I slip up and react poorly, but I think everyone does. We'd just be better off if we all remembered that fact. Yeah, someone may be saying something that you think is childish and stupid, but maybe instead of acting like a dick and making the situation worse, you should try to break the trend of the "well, it's the fucking internet", and try for a reasonable conversation.

#42 Posted by GnaTSoL (791 posts) -

Forget the reviews! That vomit of a article Patrick wrote about feeling like a pussy infront of boothbabes has to be the dumbest thing I ever read. Don't fear boobs, whereever they may be.

#43 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

Catherine and BlazBlue come to mind. On the other hand, you had people complaining that Jeff's review of Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe was too positive.

#44 Posted by RuthLoose (784 posts) -

@GnaTSoL said:

Forget the reviews! That vomit of a article Patrick wrote about feeling like a pussy infront of boothbabes has to be the dumbest thing I ever read. Don't fear boobs, whereever they may be.

BUT FAUX-FEMINISM!

#45 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -
@GnaTSoL said:

In all honestly though, they are kinda dumb.  It seems so awkward in that kind of environment and its just.....  weird.  
#46 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: Everything that happens at conventions and press shows is dumb, awkward, and weird

#47 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Icemael said:

@Napalm said:

Uh... what? BlazBlue is quite popular amongst fighting game players.

No it isn't. It wasn't at Evolution 2012 because of an embarrassingly low player turnout.

#48 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -
@Fredchuckdave said:

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: Everything that happens at conventions and press shows is dumb, awkward, and weird

exactly
#49 Posted by DizzyMedal (399 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

On kinda a side note: What games do you think would've gotten a controversial review? Dragon Age 2 was probably a damned if you do, damned if you don't. If it got a low score people would've been displeased because it is, in its own right a fine game, and if it got a high score people would've been pissed because it changed so much and was obviously rushed (I would be one of those people sadly).

Vinny said on a bombcast he probably would have given it 3 stars if he'd reviewed it. He said 2 would have been too low and 4 would have been too high. If anyone was going to disagree they might have made their points in the comments there. I don't remember which one it was though, sorry. Hell it may have even been in one of the GOTY discussions, I just don't know.

#50 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@MAN_FLANNEL said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@MAN_FLANNEL said:

But Catherine sucks...

It bothers me that I know there is another such man on the site...