What is the best console RTS game?

Eli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Eli

Also, what is the best RTS to start with if you don't play RTSs?

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Gmanall

Hmm ether Halo Wars or LOTR both are good

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By randiolo

red alert 3 on ps3 is pritty fun.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Diamond
Gmanall said:
"Hmm ether Halo Wars or LOTR both are good "
randiolo said:
"red alert 3 on ps3 is pritty fun."
I wouldn't count any of the Dune-clone RTS as the best RTS on a console.  No matter what, the best RTS on consoles is going to be a game that controls well on a gamepad.
SenatorSpacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5  Edited By SenatorSpacer

Well, from the demo Halo Wars.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Godwind

There happens to be none because all RTSes suck on the console and they suck equally.  Therefore, they are also equally good.  To put it in a sum of words, use a PC.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Diamond
Godwind said:
"There happens to be none because all RTSes suck on the console and they suck equally.  Therefore, they are also equally good.  To put it in a sum of words, use a PC."
Dune-clones dude.  Dune-clones.  Games that play like Warcraft and C&C are pretty bad on a gamepad.

I think Halo Wars was a really pathetic effort personally.  Developers need to branch out from making these clones that they've been creatively dependent on for years.  Even PC games have become nearly all clones and it sucks.

Developers need to look at stuff like Myth, Valkyria Chronicles (not all RTS, but it's a good example), Pixeljunk Monsters, Advance Wars (TBS), and other good titles to see the right direction to take RTS on consoles.
CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By CenturionCajun

I personally quite enjoyed Halo Wars. They simplified the controls and units enough that you can quickly navigate about and switch between them using a controller. While a console RTS is never going to match the complexity and options of its PC brethren Halo Wars is a good time. And that's about all the matters.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By StarFoxA
Diamond said:
"Gmanall said:
"Hmm ether Halo Wars or LOTR both are good "
randiolo said:
"red alert 3 on ps3 is pritty fun."
I wouldn't count any of the Dune-clone RTS as the best RTS on a console.  No matter what, the best RTS on consoles is going to be a game that controls well on a gamepad."
It's okay to have a Dune-clone RTS if the creators of Dune are making that RTS (EA Los Angeles, developers of Red Alert 3, consists primarily of former Westwood employees).
KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By KnifeySpoony

Just throwing it out there but, do you guys think a Dawn of War II could work on consoles? That is, just managing units, no base building at all.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By CL60
Godwind said:
"There happens to be none because all RTSes suck on the console and they suck equally.  Therefore, they are also equally good.  To put it in a sum of words, use a PC."
Agreed
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Meowayne

Surprise: Anno 1701 on the DS.

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

Halo Wars is pretty good and has very good multiplayer too.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Green_Incarnate

I doubt anyone still plays any of those games, besides Halo Wars of course.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By maxszy

Sadly I would agree with others saying that most RTS on consoles just suck.

I was really hoping I was going to enjoy Halo Wars a lot. It was quite fun through the campaign but after that...ugh. They really just over simplified it and were missing some key things like control groups. I realize they tried to build the game around a system that didn't need to require control groups, but that kind failed.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Godwind
Meowayne said:
"Surprise: Anno 1701 on the DS."
I probably wouldn't even bother with it.  Even with the DS and Wii being the closest to a controller with "mouse like design", I would never play an RTS on a console.  I played ff12 for the DS and I was miserable.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King
Godwind said:
What about Starcraft on the N64? Is that any good? It's freaking Starcraft!

(And are there any beginner's RTSes? I would REALLY like to know.)
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StarFoxA
Video_Game_King said:
"Godwind said:
What about Starcraft on the N64? Is that any good? It's freaking Starcraft!(And are there any beginner's RTSes? I would REALLY like to know.)"
Pretty much none of the console RTSes are any good, but you can go download Command & Conquer: Red Alert for free from EA's site. And if you like that, get Red Alert 2.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King
StarFoxA said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"Godwind said:
What about Starcraft on the N64? Is that any good? It's freaking Starcraft!(And are there any beginner's RTSes? I would REALLY like to know.)"
Pretty much none of the console RTSes are any good, but you can go download Command & Conquer: Red Alert for free from EA's site. And if you like that, get Red Alert 2."
Is that a good way to break into the genre, or am I screwed in that regard?
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Meowayne
Godwind said:
"Meowayne said:
"Surprise: Anno 1701 on the DS."
I probably wouldn't even bother with it.  Even with the DS and Wii being the closest to a controller with "mouse like design", I would never play an RTS on a console.  I played ff12 for the DS and I was miserable."
I played Anno on the PC and on the DS. I liked the DS experience significantly more.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#21  Edited By Vinchenzo

Well.... there is no "good" console RTS to begin with. So this thread will go nowhere. Play it on PC for fucksake.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By StarFoxA
Video_Game_King said:
"StarFoxA said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"Godwind said:
Pretty much none of the console RTSes are any good, but you can go download Command & Conquer: Red Alert for free from EA's site. And if you like that, get Red Alert 2."
Is that a good way to break into the genre, or am I screwed in that regard?"
Red Alert was my first game when I was like seven, so I doubt it's too complicated.
Smike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Smike

I think the easiest RTS for beginners is AoE II due to the ease that one can turtle in that game... The game was on one of the consoles but getting it on the PC would proably be a better idea.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By REDRUN
Vinchenzo said:
"Well.... there is no "good" console RTS to begin with. So this thread will go nowhere. Play it on PC for fucksake."
i agree with Vin