What is the GB staff doing with their time?

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By kashif1

@ajamafalous said:

@MattyFTM said:

Playing games to the point where they have enough knowledge of the game to run a quick look takes a large portion of time.

I hope you're kidding about that one Matty. It's pretty apparent that they've put less than two hours into about 75% of the games they QL.

There is a reason, previewing games they quick look isnt it. My pet example is dissidia, brad barely had a clue about how to play it and the game's combat system did not get its due because of it.

brownsfantb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 30

#102  Edited By brownsfantb

Well now there's 3 QL's, TNT and more of Dave's Dwarf Fortress coming up this week. Maybe another QL that they haven't put on the coming soon yet too.

And, remember, there's only a handful of dudes working on this site that mainly does videos. There's probably the same amount of people, if not more, working just on the Up At Noon show at IGN and they do it once a week. Destructoid does their show 2 or 3 times a week (can't remember exactly). I bet if you took the video content from every site and divided it by how many people work at that site, GB would be near the top of hours of content per person.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#103  Edited By Brendan

They usually put up two or three quicklooks a day. If each quicklook is around 30-40 minutes, that's an entire afternoon right there. I don't think there's as little content as people assume.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By BrockNRolla

@Brendan said:

They usually put up two or three quicklooks a day. If each quicklook is around 30-40 minutes, that's an entire afternoon right there. I don't think there's as little content as people assume.

That's no where near true. Maybe 6 months ago that was true but 2-3 quick looks a day has not been the norm for a long time.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

I agree not alot of content. Nothing was posted on the weekend.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By bybeach

You know, this site does have it's ups and downs, I've noticed it. But it seems lately there has been some days they are banging out the QL's. That and including their other work. Then premium content after that. But it shows on mondays, you feel a 'getting back into the grind' and not something pops in early morning. Well, this is still my favorite site, and anyways this doesn't come anywhere near that hole they had going some years back. That started the new years with half the staff (generally speaking) at some event and in effect never coming home ..damn!!!!!!!!! It was great when they popped out of that, and it happened pretty quick.

I have faith in these guys. They pull it together and they amaze me. Not to blanket forgive, but rather that I simply have no interest in being elsewhere, and I have looked around. I'm used to GB having periods where the gears grind. And this isn't that bad.

Geralt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Geralt

I'll try to take this conversation to other perspective...what do you think George Clooney do most of the time? Hanging out in his lake cabin and making one movie a year (at most)?

But he's Clooney and he can definitely do that kind of things. I'll support his endeavor for times to come.

Now these guys work in a gaming journalism and not many people can do what they did in this godforsaken business. So I think they can discuss sandwiches or studying for ham radio license during their work hour all they want.

While normal people like you and me are working under balance scorecard, KPI's and other business acronyms or what have you. Is that making any sense?

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#109  Edited By AngelN7

@brownsfantb said:

Well now there's 3 QL's, TNT and more of Dave's Dwarf Fortress coming up this week. Maybe another QL that they haven't put on the coming soon yet too.

And, remember, there's only a handful of dudes working on this site that mainly does videos. There's probably the same amount of people, if not more, working just on the Up At Noon show at IGN and they do it once a week. Destructoid does their show 2 or 3 times a week (can't remember exactly). I bet if you took the video content from every site and divided it by how many people work at that site, GB would be near the top of hours of content per person.

You're right but at the same time those sites (at least Destructoid I don't know about IGN) puts a lot of written content that's pretty much the bulk of their work, the DTOID show is like Giantbomb's equivalent to a Quick Look (well kinda is just a news/opinion piece of the week) and Zack and Tara work on the Rev3 youtube channel doing videos and other stuff like casual fridays and new challenger that doesn't show up on Destructoid so maybe now that Patrick is back we will be seeing more written content to compensate? I don't know I don't notice the lack of content all that much because I mostly visit the site at nights.

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#110  Edited By endless_void

I think this is just a plea for the endurance run in disguise.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By BrockNRolla

@endless_void said:

Ha, I hadn't actually been thinking that during the original post, but upon consideration, you have a point. An endurance run, for whatever the time sink it may be, is guaranteed daily content. Maybe the page views don't bear out the time, but it certainly makes the site feel more content rich.

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By endless_void

@BrockNRolla said:

@endless_void said:

Ha, I hadn't actually been thinking that during the original post, but upon consideration, you have a point. An endurance run, for whatever the time sink it may be, is guaranteed daily content. Maybe the page views don't bear out the time, but it certainly makes the site feel more content rich.

I totally agree, although the term endurance run raises the expectations alittle too far in my opinion. Perhaps a video feature specific to one member? I wouldn't mind watching Jeff (or any one of the GB staff) play a runthrough of Amnesia and put that up onto the site (or even better, stream it). Even if it's once or twice a week of 20-40 minute segments, would be great content and hell doesn't even require the person to be at the office. All you need is a webcam and something like XSplit. Other ideas include possibly some sc2 laddering from Brad, or maybe Vinny doing a runthrough of some old rpg. Honestly it doesn't matter what it is, because most of the community will watch it for their personalities anyway.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Feanor

I don't get why they are always so tired. They sit in an office and play video games.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#114  Edited By williamhenry

@Clonedzero said:

@ZeForgotten said:

Stuff takes time, people think(not saying you think this) that throwing out a video is super easy. It's not, it's really not, also, everyone have drinking problems thanks to the Mods, I hear.

its really not as hard as they make it out to be though. yes its not super easy. but its not that hard either. don't tell people its super hard to put up a 30 minute unedited gameplay video with voice over and a 4 second intro thing..

its kind of annoying to constantly hear them complain about how "its so hard guys!" when you actually know the process of taking videos, editing them slightly and uploading them. recording the quicklook should take longer than editing and uploading combined.

seriously for how awesome the GB crews jobs are. they complain more than ANYONE i know, and i know alot of people who work retail.

You completely forgot about compressing the video. The site uses many different compression settings. Then they have to upload each individual one. That stuff takes time.

Has anyone in here actually worked in a creative office? If so, you would know just how long it takes to get anything done. I understand people are bummed that we aren't getting as much content as we were, but I'm sure there are very good reasons for that. What do you think the staff is doing, nothing all day?

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Clonedzero

@WilliamHenry: are you saying they watch the video compress? thats like sitting there watching the progress bar when your game downloads off steam. no one does that. you click compress then do something else. its not complicated lol

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Pie
@BrainSonata said:
Someone post that "How to make a Monday" time lapse video that shows just how long it takes to make ONE video. I'd do it if I wasn't on my iPad.

That obviously takes a while but they don't really do anything like this anymore  
mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By mekon

@Sooty: I'm speaking from my experience really - I'm lucky to own a lot of games, and if I commit to a game then I'm fine until I find something that pisses me off and then I go back to something else. Then I have to go back through the learning process, controls and tactics included. For example I tried playing Supreme Commander after playing Dawn of War for a while, and I can never remember which order the buildings have to be made after the stompy thing that gets you resources in SC, or likewise in DoW. The same applies to all types of game (TPS/FPS/Sim etc) really, except for the ones I've played to death or come from the same developer. I used to have a lot of time, not so much anymore, although having WSAD+mouse for controls is a start. I used to own a playstation (R.I.P.), and I could never get into the whole combo thing for Tekken 2 because I'm shit at remembering facts at that level. But that's just me. I think their work life must be weird, I've never spent 3 hours in a meeting talking about stuff that's happening for something like a bombcast. How much would it improve if they didn't though?

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love how this question or a reworded variant of it is asked every month, not because I view it as entitlement (if you do you're an idiot; people pay for this site and have every right to voice an opinion on what they expect and ask questions of what they are paying for) but because the excuses are always basically the same. Before E3 people were asking "why has content been so anemic?" and the response was that they're still settling in, they need new equipment, they're dealing with a new environment, etc. Month and ahalf later, and the excuses are basically still the same as that. At some point that no longer holds water. 

And this question in specific is a great one, and one that I can't imagine has any good answer. I'll go ahead and say the assholish thing that is almost certainly the case; they don't put out as much content as they could because they're obviously not motivated enough to do so. Most of their video content (Quick Looks) require very little time, and even their most substantial time investments in a video feature (Random PC game) is a couple hours you could easily bang out off the clock once a week. Their time isn't being used up by researching games before they do a QL of them, you can view most QLs and tell they have very little prior experience, and it can't be that they're doing reviews, because there's barely any games worth reviewing right now.   

What I think is the bigger issue is what they keep promising year in and year out. A bigger and better site with more and more content they can do greater and greater things with. They've made these promises for as long as I can remember and it's almost never beared fruit. How they sold the CBSi acquisition was as something that would give them the resources to provide more content in greater ways to their community. They would be able to do more things and the things they currently do, better. This has not been the case whatsoever. I wish they would level with their community and stop treating us like idiots. More than 4 months, now, and 'bigger and better than ever' hasn't even hinted at existing in any way shape or form. The community deserves sober explanations of their current daily operations rather than continued assurances that they will take us to the promised land.

@Anwar said:

The interaction with the community is in general really weird to me. I don't expect them to post daily in threads like these or any threads for that matter, but they are barely in any threads at all. And when Jeff mentions how some people didn't like the PSO2 TNT Brad's acting annoyed and dismissive, really now?

Ever wonder why they're practically always talking about Neogaf threads and never a Giant Bomb thread? Me too. I can't think of any other word for how Brad, especially, feels toward the community except utter contempt. The community they ask to pay them money on a monthly or yearly basis. The community can be petty and selfish, but their opinion still matters because we are their consumers, and it should be, at least, considered. Not immediately dismissed. I don't see that as so unreasonable.
laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By laserbolts

@Feanor said:

I don't get why they are always so tired. They sit in an office and play video games.

Out of shape from doing this I assume.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Meowshi

@YoThatLimp said:

@Old_Corncob said:

I THINK ABOUT THIS QUESTION A LOT.

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THEY COULD BE PUTTING UP AN HOUR OR TWO OF VIDEO CONTENT EVERY DAY.

JUST SIT DOWN AND PLAY A FUCKING VIDEO GAME AND TALK ABOUT IT FOR FUCKING SAKE.

I THINK THESE GUYS ARE IN LA-LA LAND IF THEY THINK PEOPLE ARE GOING TO KEEP SUBSCRIBING FOR THE BONE THEY THROW US ONCE A WEEK (OR LESS).

HOW HARD CAN IT BE TO GET TWO GUYS TO SIT DOWN AND PLAY A VIDEO GAME ON CAMERA, FOR AN HOUR OR TWO, 5 DAYS A WEEK?

THERE SHOULD BE A FUCKING SUBSCRIBER VIDEO EVERY GODDAMN DAY.

WHAT THE FUCK!

One piece of subscriber content a week and you are talking about on average ~60 hours of premium content a year. Get real and put it in perspective, that is a ton of content.

Not really. It's one video a week. How ever many hours it adds up to over the course of a year seems irrelevant.

Of course I'm not a subscriber, so this really doesn't matter to me. There's very little difference between one video being uploaded a week that I don't have access to and five videos being uploaded a week that I don't have access to. :p

The_Lord_Fagan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By The_Lord_Fagan

@Marokai said:

I love how this question or a reworded variant of it is asked every month, not because I view it as entitlement (if you do you're an idiot; people pay for this site and have every right to voice an opinion on what they expect and ask questions of what they are paying for) but because the excuses are always basically the same. Before E3 people were asking "why has content been so anemic?" and the response was that they're still settling in, they need new equipment, they're dealing with a new environment, etc. Month and ahalf later, and the excuses are basically still the same as that. At some point that no longer holds water.

And this question in specific is a great one, and one that I can't imagine has any good answer. I'll go ahead and say the assholish thing that is almost certainly the case; they don't put out as much content as they could because they're obviously not motivated enough to do so. Most of their video content (Quick Looks) require very little time, and even their most substantial time investments in a video feature (Random PC game) is a couple hours you could easily bang out off the clock once a week. Their time isn't being used up by researching games before they do a QL of them, you can view most QLs and tell they have very little prior experience, and it can't be that they're doing reviews, because there's barely any games worth reviewing right now.

What I think is the bigger issue is what they keep promising year in and year out. A bigger and better site with more and more content they can do greater and greater things with. They've made these promises for as long as I can remember and it's almost never beared fruit. How they sold the CBSi acquisition was as something that would give them the resources to provide more content in greater ways to their community. They would be able to do more things and the things they currently do, better. This has not been the case whatsoever. I wish they would level with their community and stop treating us like idiots. More than 4 months, now, and 'bigger and better than ever' hasn't even hinted at existing in any way shape or form. The community deserves sober explanations of their current daily operations rather than continued assurances that they will take us to the promised land.

@Anwar said:

The interaction with the community is in general really weird to me. I don't expect them to post daily in threads like these or any threads for that matter, but they are barely in any threads at all. And when Jeff mentions how some people didn't like the PSO2 TNT Brad's acting annoyed and dismissive, really now?

Ever wonder why they're practically always talking about Neogaf threads and never a Giant Bomb thread? Me too. I can't think of any other word for how Brad, especially, feels toward the community except utter contempt. The community they ask to pay them money on a monthly or yearly basis. The community can be petty and selfish, but their opinion still matters because we are their consumers, and it should be, at least, considered. Not immediately dismissed. I don't see that as so unreasonable.

Yep, I think I'm in this boat. They're all great guys, and I've been enjoying the antics since most of them were Kasavin's underlings. Still, there was a certain unpredictable energy around the summer of the very first BLLSL that's given way to a rather formulaic format. Maybe it was the sale to CBSi, maybe something else, but we're now literally counting QL's like there's some unspoken quota they haven't been hitting. Where's the new features? Red phone, rebuilding arcade cabinets, drunk webcam streams, this is the kind of stuff that I don't expect to see on Kotaku, or Destructoid. Sure, it doesn't always work, but who would have thought that watching people just play a game straight up for 20-40 minutes alongside uncensored banter would be more compelling and informative than a carefully edited video review, or that watching a dude talking for over an hour in a messy house waxing philosophical about the inside baseball of the industrial gaming complex would become the epic human drama we make it out to be(check out the comments below Jeff's vids yourself if you think I'm embellishing on this). Point is, I go other game blogs for news, and I come here to be entertained. I guess what I want is for Giant Bomb to be a little more Wayne's World, and a little less Anderson Cooper 360.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#122  Edited By csl316

@Pie said:

@BrainSonata said:
Someone post that "How to make a Monday" time lapse video that shows just how long it takes to make ONE video. I'd do it if I wasn't on my iPad.
That obviously takes a while but they don't really do anything like this anymore

Yep, you can't say that this one video is representative of all the others. I usually link the behind-the-scenes videos that Rorie and Joey did on Screened a while back, but I don't feel like searching at the moment. That sort of intensive stuff takes a while, of course, but a QL is basically an unedited run through of a game. Many other videos are just live streams. Reviews and event interviews probably take the most time, but how many of those do we really get anymore?

Whatever, though, I'm busier these days than I was a couple years ago so I guess I can deal with less content.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Feanor

I saw something on Jeffs forumspring a little while back, he thinks that they need to expand the team. Apparently in their mind they don't have enough people to provide the content. Personally I think that's a bit crazy, if anything they have to many people. I don't understand how a gaming site that isn't focused on news, requires two people to report. Patrick seems to pull his weight, as does Jeff. I have a feeling Ryan does more behind the scenes than we know. They have two video editors, but not much content that requires a lot of editing. I'm not sure how Brad keeps busy, he always seems to be disinterested and exhausted. Watching him sit on a couch looking bored during a TNT has always been a little disheartening. I would really like to give them all the benefit of a doubt, but its tough.

And all these complaints have to do with the same old content they've been doing for years now. Where is the new stuff? I thought all this CBSi money was going to unleash them from their shackles so they could do what they really wanted. So far that's been a video of Dave playing Dwarf Fortress, pretty sure they had the bucks at Whiskey to do that.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#124  Edited By JJOR64
endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By endless_void

@JJOR64 said:

Jeff streams in his spare time. Like right now! :O

http://www.twitch.tv/gbjg

This is what I like to see, I don't care about any flashy video editing, I just want to see the editors stream/upload some vods of the games they play in their own time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Feanor:  You're not wrong that it's crazy. It's completely fucking bonkers to need more people to even just provide the same  amount of content that they were capable of pre -acquisition. Hell, it's not just misguided, it's straight up lazy. I refuse to believe for a second that they actually need to add two or three more people to what is already an incredibly small staff when compared to other websites, to provide a consistent level of content when they were perfectly capable of it beforehand. I heard about Jeff stating his desire to hire some more people before, so I'm not shocked to hear it here or anything, but it's utterly baffling to me how they seem to be increasingly less and less capable as they get more people and more resources. How completely fucked must their time managing abilities be to not be able to provide a comparable level of content?   

I realize so many in the community want to always remain starry eyed positive about Giant Bomb and it's future, but what possible excuse could there be for that? I ask that question genuinely, because I don't enjoy  being negative about shit like this. It's not as if I find it fun. I just can't imagine how the answer to all of these issues isn't just the most depressing, cynical view that naysayers have always thought it was. How could it be anything but them just not feeling like putting the same amount of time and effort into the site that they once did? Or that all the promises of this "bigger and better" Giant Bomb wasn't all just empty bullshit designed to ease a nervous community about WM being sold? There really just aren't any positive answers to these questions, and that's the only reason I can think of as to why the community have gotten none.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#127  Edited By sjschmidt93

I haven't really noticed a decline in content, to be honest.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Tesla

Mountains and molehills.

Some people need to take some initiative in their life and figure out other ways to occupy their time. Giant Bomb is not a genie that will conjure up brand new entertainment for you at your demand. Get over this fact and move on.

I'm not trying to sound too cool for school with that comment either. I mean it...if you find yourself refreshing this website every 30 minutes or less in a desperate attempt to cure your boredom, maybe you should find other things to do.

Call me when we go a week without multiple quick looks plus a three hour posdcast, and maybe I'll start to worry.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Pie

I know it's kinda bullshit for me to post this but on this page  https://auth.giantbomb.com/upgrade/ they do promise new premium content every day for subscribers. 
I know that that's the stuff from back when it was whiskeymedia but on that page they only mention Giant bomb and comic vine and that seems like something that should probably be updated so they're not lying about what you get for giving them a subscription. (Unless they do secret premium stuff I don't know about :P)

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By BrockNRolla

@Tesla said:

Some people need to take some initiative in their life and figure out other ways to occupy their time. Giant Bomb is not a genie that will conjure up brand new entertainment for you at your demand. Get over this fact and move on.

I'm not trying to sound too cool for school with that comment either. I mean it...if you find yourself refreshing this website every 30 minutes or less in a desperate attempt to cure your boredom, maybe you should find other things to do.

Call me when we go a week without multiple quick looks plus a three hour posdcast, and maybe I'll start to worry.

I'm really disappointed by people responding like this. Not only because it seems like someone trying to demonstrate their superiority over others by claiming they have... more hobbies, I guess? But more because it's entirely dodging the question. If your favorite show suddenly changed its schedule and was only putting out 6 episodes a year, or if a movie got delayed, or if an episodic video game wasn't releasing on its typical schedule, and a fan asked, "Hey, what's the deal with that? What are the makers doing?" do you really think the proper response is, "Get a life! Find something else to do!"

This is a question about how the staff at Giant Bomb are spending their time because their output has decreased from what it has been in the past. If it's, "All hands on deck for site design," or "They've got a ton of meetings now because of the way CBSi is structured," those are fine answers to a legitimate question, but "Get over this fact and move on" is an insult rather than an answer. I just don't get it.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By mnzy

Something that's not mentioned enough here: playing games. I guess people forget it, because it's their hobby, but it's these guys jobs.

Jeff put what into PSO2 now? 70 hours? A review takes atleast 10 hours just to play for a short game, up to maybe 80 for bigger ones. That's not really all in their spare time, you know. 

They recently hit 500 reviews, more than 100 every year. It comes down to about 2-3 a week. That's where their time goes. 
Jeff is actually quite impressive, he wrote over 200 of those reviews. I sometimes wonder a little bit about Brad, because he's not doing news or podcasts, but I think he plays the most time consuming games usually.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Feanor

@mnzy: I forget that they only play games in office.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By mnzy
@Feanor: Well no, so what? They probably wouldn't get anything else done if they did that. So technically, they probably work longer hours than most people.
Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Feanor

@mnzy: Ah I forgot that they wouldn't play video games if their jobs didn't revolve around it.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By mnzy
@Feanor: It's just terrible thinking. By that logic you could say somebody in a garage should be happy to repair your car if it's his hobby, too. Maybe you're too young to understand that even working in video games can be a tough job.
viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#136  Edited By viking_funeral

My educated guess based on what they say & record:

• Dave & Alexis are working non-stop to get the new website up around October (?). Plus, Dwarf Fortress.
  • Vinny & Drew spend most of their time editing footage, more so Drew, as Vinny also does some work on the other side of the camera. Plus, new kid.
  • Patrick & Alexis do news, and some light video game playing.
  • Brad, Jeff, & Ryan all play games, with Brad doing the most game work, Ryan doing most of the old intern work, and Jeff somewhere in the middle with additional meetings. Actually, since Ryan is the other co-founder of Giantbomb, maybe he has a lot of meetings as well.

It may not appear that they're playing that much of games before the do some QLs, but they do collectively play a lot of video games to provide us with their informed views & opinions on both the games and the industry at large. I also imagine that the lack of interns gives them less free time for hijinks to ensue.

That said, I'm still going to harp on a Pokémon Conquest QL. C'mon guys, we saw it in the the I Love Mondays a while back. Don't make me go to YouTube. (Please don't make me go to YouTube).

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Feanor

@mnzy: You haven't worked a tough job if you think playing a video game is hard work.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By mnzy
@Feanor said:

@mnzy: You haven't worked a tough job if you think playing a video game is hard work.

I said it can be and now I'm sure you're too young. Please don't reply to my posts if you don't read them anyway.
gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By gunslingerNZ

I have to agree with this sentiment, the quality and quantity of content has gone down since the buyout and the opposite should be true. I still enjoy what's being put out there but I feel like there must be something in the new setup that's causing this.

Hopefully it's only a temporary problem but it's been long enough since the transition that I would have thought those issues could have been sorted out by now...

@mekon said:

First off they have to research stuff. For a QL they have to schedule Vinny or Drew, install the game, sometimes I'd guess it takes more time beyond that to get it to some sort of useful menu screen and create a character. That eats time.

Oh man you're totally right, they have to install the game and create a character, that takes HOURS. No wonder I never get any real gameplay done!

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By gunslingerNZ

@BraveToaster said:

None of us know the answer.I will say that the first mistake that some of you made was assuming that the staff is somehow obligated to answer you just because you have a premium membership.

They're not obligated to do anything because of my premium membership but they'd be mistaken in thinking they can safely ignore the opinions of subscribers. I do have other places I can spend my money after all...

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#141  Edited By krazy_kyle

'avin a wank

aajf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By aajf

With the amount of video content we're actually getting right now I'm surprised this has come up again. There was a noticeable lull in content prior to E3, but listening to podcasts and watching jar times I got the impression the goal was to have Giant Bomb back up to normal speed once E3 was done, and then to take things up a notch with new content. I'd say, with a glance at the latest videos and what's still to come at the end of the week, that we've got a pretty healthy flow of regular content going right now, plus the new live set is in place and looking pretty damn swanky, and there's new Dave-oriented premium content. This feels like pretty much the standard speed of things before the Whiskey split. Now they've reached that point, I'm looking forward to the expansions that were hinted at. Maybe my memory is just out of whack and things are much less frequent than they used to be, but right now it doesn't feel that way to me, though it certainly did a few weeks ago.

To a degree I'm also reserving judgement until the new site is finished. I appreciate that the content team aren't working on that, but I'd be surprised if the new look site didn't bring with it a whole bunch of new look content.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Tesla

@BrockNRolla said:

@Tesla said:

I'm really disappointed by people responding like this. Not only because it seems like someone trying to demonstrate their superiority over others by claiming they have... more hobbies, I guess? But more because it's entirely dodging the question. If your favorite show suddenly changed its schedule and was only putting out 6 episodes a year, or if a movie got delayed, or if an episodic video game wasn't releasing on its typical schedule, and a fan asked, "Hey, what's the deal with that? What are the makers doing?" do you really think the proper response is, "Get a life! Find something else to do!"

This is a question about how the staff at Giant Bomb are spending their time because their output has decreased from what it has been in the past. If it's, "All hands on deck for site design," or "They've got a ton of meetings now because of the way CBSi is structured," those are fine answers to a legitimate question, but "Get over this fact and move on" is an insult rather than an answer. I just don't get it.

I'm not trying to insult anyone so much as assert that there isn't an issue to begin with. I think this community is spoiled frankly, and doesn't realize how much content they are actually getting. Add to that the fact that there really isn't much going on as far as exciting new releases, and I am doubly confused.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I just feel like people expect the world from this website without actually having any clue as to how much time and effort goes into something like this. People on the internet are entitled to everything they demand, at no charge to them.

There are days when I'm like "Hey, there isn't anything cool on Giant Bomb." You know what I do? Find something else to entertain me. That's just me. Sorry if this offends anyone.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Clonedzero

@Tesla said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@Tesla said:

I'm not trying to insult anyone so much as assert that there isn't an issue to begin with. I think this community is spoiled frankly, and doesn't realize how much content they are actually getting. Add to that the fact that there really isn't much going on as far as exciting new releases, and I am doubly confused.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I just feel like people expect the world from this website without actually having any clue as to how much time and effort goes into something like this. People on the internet are entitled to everything they demand, at no charge to them.

There are days when I'm like "Hey, there isn't anything cool on Giant Bomb." You know what I do? Find something else to entertain me. That's just me. Sorry if this offends anyone.

well thats exactly the point. there is'nt anything going on game-wise, so its not like their time is being eaten up covering and reviewing those games. so they could do an endurance run, or quicklook old games, or whatever i dunno its not my job to come up with content, its theirs.

you're acting like people are freaking out and demanding more content and throwing tantrums and stuff. but no, people are simply asking "hey, whats the deal with the lack of content?" you're insulting everyone by saying they have nothing else to do or they wouldnt be asking this. others are getting WAY over defensive about it and trying to explain in detail the work they do. its silly.

people are just asking why, its a valid question, theres no reason to demean people simply because "i got better things to do".

remember kiddies, criticism isn't always a bad thing!

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Tesla

@Clonedzero: My main issue is that at the heart of all this is the implication that the Giant Bomb crew is slacking off in some way. This discussion exists during a week where GB has provided a 3 hour podcast, and no less than 5 quick looks in 4 days. This question of "What are they doing in the office, sitting around all day?" can only come from individuals who don't have any knowledge of the working world that the crew inhabits.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Tesla

You know what I did today? I went back and watched an old archived Giant Bomb video. Believe it or not, the current rate of content output does not nullify the hundreds of videos you can choose to watch at any time.

You know what else I did today? I *gasp* actually played some video games myself. Pretty crazy stuff I know.

SocietySays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By SocietySays

Just stop. Stop making excuses for them. This topic has come up too much for something not to be done. I personally don't care as I don't sub. I don't sub because the content is not there. If you visit this site two or three times a month you can blow through most content within a few hours. (Excluding podcast) It is what it is..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tesla: I recently started re-watching the BR Endurance Run of Deadly Premonition again, which I've been enjoying. I've also been playing through Final Fantasy 12 again, which is.. less enjoyable, but I find value in revisiting my opinion on that game after a few years have passed. What those who ask questions about GB do with their time isn't the issue here, and you know that, I'm sure. I find it strange that you feel the need to try and characterize simple statements of confusion or disappointment (disappointment, meaning they have a pre-existing high value of Giant Bomb and are not here to hate it all day) in the most negative and insulting way possible. There are two central questions here that a lot of people wish were directly and suitably answered: 

1. What is a normal day in the CBS offices like in comparison to your previous workplaces? Does it slow you down? 
2. Why is it apparently necessary to expand the team just to put out a comparable or identical level of content to when you had less manpower and resources? Will said expansions mean we get less or more of the crew we have now?

What a lot of people fear in that answer is the unfortunate truth; working in the CBS offices stymies the normal production process and speed of content that we've gotten used to and it does so inherently by virtue of your generic corporate workplace structure. I can't imagine any world where that isn't true, but saying that doesn't exactly jive with "everything will be cool forever! we're going to be bigger and awesomer, don't you worry!" There should be a greater amount of content, particularly subscriber content, not because the community is spoiled and always needs more more more, but because, that's what they promise and it's what they keep telling us will happen. That's what they're selling. For money.  

That sentiment isn't born out of selfish demands, it's born out of wondering when the hell they're even live up to their own standards of what Giant Bomb is supposed to provide. A lot of people are just wondering why that's apparently even harder now in a more manpower and resource rich environment where the opposite should be true. Hell, a "content drought" isn't even the real issue, if for the sake of argument there wasn't one. In what they sold us as an upsell and a positive development, they are apparently struggling to keep their heads above water in less or equivalent content. The issue is why, and why we shouldn't worry about it. 
Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Maybe it's because I work an actual high-impact job and so I'm oblivious to office stress, but I don't see how reading and replying to e-mails and scheduling your week completely prevents producing content. I understand how it can take time, but not to the point where nothing is going up all day. It's not like Ryan goes home and is so exhausted he can hardly move, the only difference I can discern is he tweets direct messages at work and public messages at home. Nothing goes up on the weekends, and very little goes up on Monday or Friday. That leaves about three days a week that you can expect more than a single piece of content. That's a bummer. That's why we like Endurance Runs or special MMO features, or event Bombcasts; at least we can expect some daily content.

I don't think it's that that kind of content is time consuming or hard to do, I think they just don't want to do it. And mostly because of the industry; if Giant Bomb isn't focused on reviews, previews, interviews and trailers of new stuff, then publishers and developers won't give them access and attention. That's why SNES shows and Endurance Runs are rare, because playing old games gives them no credibility with the industry. I usually reject the "they're just pushing for the publishers!" but this is a case where it's true. They need the publisher support more than their own audience, they tried the audience angle but apparently we just aren't enough. The audience has been pretty clear that we find Endurance Runs and old game marathons more entertaining than Lost Planet 3 previews and yet they spend far more time trying to get those previews and interviews.

As much as they like to shit on the interns, so far the only staffing difference from this time last year (or two years ago) is 0 interns. Production crew is the same, news crew is the same, editors are the same. Apparently they did do a bit more than just get sandwiches.

I don't expect it to 'get better' or 'things will become more stable and there will be more content'. Things pushed for E3 will get pushed for PAX, and then pushed for Holiday game crush, and then pushed for Holiday break, and then pushed for GDC, and then pushed for PAX East.

I just think the shine is gone for them and this has gone from dream to job. Making stuff is a chore rather than fun. That's the real aversion to weekly content like the 'old game segment' they talked about on TNT. It's not that they'd 'run out of games' it's that they'd run out of enthusiasm pretty quickly. Even stuff they want to do like the Jeff Gerstmann Wall of Fame were talked about like 9 months ago and are nowhere to be seen. I know "it's been hectic" but it's _always_ going to be hectic, it always was. Unless the energy level of the staff suddenly increases (a lot to expect from dudes past 30), this is how much content will be made from here on.

I'm rambling. I'm sure they're disappointed with the production lately, and I'll admit I am too.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Tesla

@Marokai: Well said, I think I understand you guys' point much better now. Cheers!