What is your current multiplayer shooter?

• 63 results
DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll What is your current multiplayer shooter? (382 votes)

Overwatch 42%
Gears of War 4 3%
Battlefield 1 20%
Titanfall 2 37%
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare 3%
Modern Warfare Remastered 2%
Destiny 3%
Halo 5: Guardians 2%
Rainbow Six Siege 4%
Counter-Strike: GO 4%
H1Z1 KOTH 1%
The Division 1%
Star Wars Battlefront 3%
Splatoon 3%
Other 9%

2016 has arguably been the the "year of the shooter" with several fantastic new games released, as well as older titles that have continued to receive support from their developers. What has been your go-to multiplayer shooter this year? I decided to narrow the question down to multiplayer specifically and allowed for multiple choices, starting with 2016 releases and then other current games that have maintained a following this year. I tossed in Splatoon because that's the only Nintendo shooter I can think of and that game is rad. Apologies if I left out your favorite.

Right now my answer would have to be Gears of War 4. I've sunk a ton of hours into the multiplayer already and plan on continuing to do so until the game ceases to be enjoyable. Which, judging by my love for the previous game and how 4 is essentially a more polished and refined version of that, means this game will have some serious longevity.

Titanfall 2 occupies a very unique space from other shooters that I normally play, so even if I'm not the best at it, the variety of game modes and loadout options guarantees there's plenty of creative ways to make my own fun. I've been dabbling back into Halo 5 after watching some pro league matches (another game that I suck at, but a plethora of community features and custom games make up for it). Rainbow Six Siege just had a new map and operators added to the game, but I haven't had time to fully explore it yet.

• 
monosukoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's weird. I've probably sunk more hours into Overwatch than I have Battlefield 1 or Rainbow Six Siege this year, but I think that's primarily down to buyer's remorse with OW. I was extremely excited for it and preordered the "no frills" version for PC, but actually pretty much every time I've spent time with it, I've come away not whole-heartedly enjoying the experience. I find a lot of the matches end up feeling very samey and the limited roster of characters, while stylish, ends up in fatigue quite quickly. As someone who plays a lot of DOTA, going from 112 characters to ~20 means that I don't get the same sense of variety in OW. And to be honest.. I find a lot of the abilities and maps and modes pretty underwhelming and creatively lacking. I also don't find the actual shooting that much fun, either. It's never quite felt like the full package to me and I have yet to understand why some people hail at as the most innovative and incredible FPS for many years. In many ways it feels just like a 2016 interpretation of Team Fortress 2 and not a whole lot more. Also while we're here, the loot system in that game is total garbage.

I've found myself enjoying the limited time I've had with Rainbow Six: Siege the most, I think. With a group of friends on Discord it's a real blast and it combines some of the ability-focused gameplay of Overwatch with the brevity and speed of something like Counter Strike, but without being insufferably dry and self-serious. I think it captures a great competitive environment to be in where you're at risk at any moment and where good teamwork pays off extremely well.

I also spent a good 8 hours or so with BF1 as part of the EA Access trial you receive, and.. it's a really good Battlefield game. I think my biggest passion for Battlefield (probably in the days of 3) has left me but I don't think anyone can deny the sheer scope and resources put into that game are impressive. If I had a crew that wanted to play it regularly, I could definitely see myself getting into BF1 a whole lot more, but that's not really available to me and my brief experience with it was probably enough to last me until the next iteration.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Spoonman671

Not really a shooter, but I haven't been able to tear myself away from Paragon in months.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bf1 has it's hooks in me, but killing floor 2 has dominated my weekend.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Does anyone have a link to the poll that was created about a week ago or so that was essentially the same as this? I forgot what the title was.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Titanfall 2. I still prefer the first game but i've come around on some of the changes. I liked Splatoon but kind of lost interest after they stopped doing Splatfests.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DharmaBum

@mike: Uh, there was this one, but the topic was kinda vague and I figure now would be a good time for an updated one with everything that's come out this year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't get enough Titanfall 2.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DharmaBum

@mike: Oh right, forgot that existed. I guess they are fairly similar other than being in a post-CoD November world now. Up to you, though.

Edit: should have read your advice in that thread when making the poll options here haha.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Primarily Overwatch and Siege, but I play them both a lot less than other games. I can only play so much shooter.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If your answer isn't overwatch then what are you doing with your life

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easily Overwatch. The main reason is that my wife enjoys it. We play with a group of non-serious friends which is the best part. I'm not sure how you could take that game seriously anyway...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing Paladins? Because that's what I seem to be doing every weekend lol.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

COD3, same as it ever was

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DharmaBum

@frostyryan said:

I'm interested in getting into Overwatch eventually, but it's so mechanically dense that I know it would take a lot of time investment to truly savor. I'm sure it's also good for casual consumption too, but I can only keep so many different games and their mechanics in my head at once. The good thing is I know the game will be as active if not more a year from now and maybe they will have added more community features (map/mode editing) by then.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

I suppose it's between titanfall 2 and the new call of duty. I like games where I can just jump in and have fun without worrying too much about team make-up, positioning, communication, etc. I also like a lot of variety and smaller maps.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, Overwatch and DOOM. Overwatch is alright again with one hero limit quickplay, TF2 and BF1 are still new enough and DOOM is still fun, although the high number of games with bad connections are becoming a bit annoying.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dharmabum: I think you underestimate how easy-going Overwatch is!

Easy to learn, hard to master. The "mechanics" are simple. Plus they just added an arcade mode for more casual play so there's that.

Avatar image for deactivated-63c06c6e81315
deactivated-63c06c6e81315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan said:

Playing better games, like Rainbow Six Siege.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Primarily Battlefield, though Halo 5 is updated enough to keep me playing Firefight.

Overwatch fell off for me really quick, but I'll log in once or twice a month

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overwatch, 180+ hours worth.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

It seems like I just bounce off of every shooter I try out these days. All I wanna do is play more Rocket League.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Playing Titanfall 2.

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Titanfall 2 for me. Would have said Overwatch, but work fatigue and an active community/balances left me in the dust. It's cool. Overwatch is awesome and I'm happy Blizzard is there to hand out the balances like candy to keep the game fresh, but yeah. Titanfall 2 is my cup of tea. I can come home and tell myself "remember how to play CoD4? Well that's sorta all you need, win or lose".

That Titanfall 2 PC player base though. *sighs*

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DharmaBum

@frostyryan said:

@dharmabum: I think you underestimate how easy-going Overwatch is!

Easy to learn, hard to master. The "mechanics" are simple. Plus they just added an arcade mode for more casual play so there's that.

It's more an "already too much on the plate" sort of issue rather than being intimidated by the learning curve or anything. I look forward to diving into it soon; already bought it on sale this weekend.

(Edit: I'm honestly afraid of how deep its hooks will get into me.)

@gundogan: Whoops, I knew there'd be something popular I'd forget to include in the list - Team Fortress 2. I also forgot DOOM had a multiplayer component.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battlefield 1.

I'm not a multiplayer guy. I don't play multiplayer games. EXCEPT Battlefield. I've been playing since 1942 and there's just something about the series that feels very different from every other game. If I had to guess it's the emergent moments and the way it feels like you're writing your own story sometimes. And BF1 has gotten me sort of obsessed with WWI history so I'll be at it a long time I imagine.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

@frostyryan: Playing Titanfall 2!

I've been going to town on Titanfall 2. That game is so good. I will probably stick with it for 2 years just like the first game.

jrodrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought Rainbow Six Siege yesterday and I have loved the 5 or so hours I've spent with it. I also have Gears 4 and Titanfall 2 waiting brand new on my shelf, but right now I'm hooked with Siege, so I might spend some time with it now.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Warframe

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Titanfall 2 (PC) and it's not even close.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:
@frostyryan said:

Playing Titanfall 2.

Absolutely. I haven't enjoyed a mutliplayer shooter this much since the first Black Ops.

Loading Video...

It's pretty cool that they put the Giant Bomb score in the very center of those accolades.

@mike: Oh right, forgot that existed. I guess they are fairly similar other than being in a post-CoD November world now. Up to you, though.

As the person who made that other thread, I'd say it's makes a huge difference now that all these games have actually been released, and I'm glad that you made this thread.

Mr402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Titanfall 2. Just pure action and fun. Just pains me that EA did them such a disservice with the release window. Early Aug or Sept release would have given Titanfall it's deserved time to shine in the spotlight.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

Battlefield 1, I'm approaching 200 hours spent in it. It's the best Battlefield, and probably the most solid mainstream military shooter I think I've ever played... which is saying something because there's been a lot of those.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

@spaceinsomniac: I'm really enjoying it too. I imagine I will play this game for the next 2 years just like the first Titanfall. The control of the movement is unreal when you're at top speed. I feel like I'm going 100 mph at all times, but I know exactly what I'm doing.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'm not a big shooter guy, I'm intrigued by a few that have come out this year, but haven't picked them up yet. Doom and Titanfall 2's campaigns look interesting, but I'm not sure I'd sink much time into online multiplayer. That said I've been dabbling with Battlefront splitscreen lately, but not really enjoying it.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BF1, Titanfall 2.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really having a good time in Titanfall 2 currently. I was talking to my brother about it the other day and I came to the realization that I love Titanfall 2 for a lot of the reasons that I loved Tribes 2 back in the day. It controls in a completely different manner obviously but the there's something about the mobility and speed you can build up that scratches an itch that misses the unique dynamics of Tribes skiing.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Destiny. Trials of Osiris is still where it's at for me. I don't think that will change either for the coming year.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I fell for Overwatch pretty hard. This is the first competitive online shooter I've played with random people since Halo 1 on PC. I've played fewer games in 2016 than I normally do, because I keep playing Overwatch and it's to the point where I'm not buying other games like Titanfall 2, because I already have my multiplayer game. If I ever do get TF2, it will be a marathon session over a weekend and then probably back to Overwatch.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f39c75856922
deactivated-5f39c75856922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overwatch is just so polished and stylish it's hard not to enjoy for me. Also, I'm still waiting for a new Unreal Championship and this is the closest I have seen.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare... 1

I used to be a pretty hardcore Halo player years ago but I'm pretty casual now. Mostly single player games and co-op. Plus PvZ:GW is one of the only ones I can do well in, I'm mostly playing against kids.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to play Halo 5 more but I keep hopping to other games, I also really don't like Overwatch on my own. So I've been mostly playing BF1 until I can get my copy of Titanfall 2

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Tesla

Battlefield 1 and Overwatch

I am quite interested in picking up Titanfall 2 and Rainbow Six Siege though. I just have to get some of my group of 4-6 friends that play online to take the plunge with me, I don't really play online shooters by myself any more.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Team Fortress 2

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TF2 w/ some supplemental OW

Avatar image for lobster_johnson
lobster_johnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By lobster_johnson

I'm still playing Battlefield 4.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Overwatch, always overwatch. I'm trying to play other games, but I just keep playing overwatch.

I didn't have internet for a week and got to play other games, that was fun, but internet is back and now more overwatch.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By hippie_genocide

Been playing Modern Warfare Remastered pretty heavily lately. It's kind of striking how much COD has changed over the years. MWR is very camp heavy, whereas the most recent one is boost-jumping, wall-running, knee-sliding all over the place. All run-n-gun. I still play a bit of Black Ops 3 and just now getting into Titanfall 2. I bought it on PC but kinda wishing I bought it for console. Hopefully there's a good deal on Black Friday or something. I bounced off of Overwatch pretty hard just before Ana came out, but thinking of doing some casuals with that again.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Planetside 2 has been my competitive shooter of choice since it came out 4 years ago.

PKB_Noitwont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just jumped back in to Arma 3 and have been playing quite a bit. Messing around in co-op multiplayer and trying out some new mods this time around. Haven't bought the new expansion yet, but their in game watermarking is slowly brainwashing/irritating me into doing it. I'll grab it during the winter sale most likely.