What makes someone a fanboy?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I think I have the answer.  It's not someone who doesn't own all current systems, it's not someone who's critical of consoles that they think could be better, and it's not even someone who feels one system is better than the others.  The one thing I feel truly makes someone a fanboy is a genuine interest and personal desire for the failure of a specific game company or console.  With that also comes becoming upset when a specific game company or console finds success.

If you've ever been upset by a 3rd party publisher releasing a once exclusive title on another platform...
If you've ever been upset to see a console fix something that was wrong with it, or become otherwise improved...
If you've ever actively wanted to see a console or console publisher fail...

You're a sad, sorry little fanboy, and you're giving the hobby of video games a bad name.  Video games are not a zero sum game.  For one company to succeed, it does not mean another has to fail.

Anyone think I've got it right, or do you think something else makes someone a fanboy?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Exactly, so, so true. This and the fact that someone who ignores facts, stuff like that.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Illmatic

Couldn't you also include those who are such huge fans of a certain game/console they view obvious shortcomings as simply artistically genius choices?

blue74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By blue74

yaay imma fanboy so what biiiiiiiiiiiiiitch

jlaudio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By jlaudio7
SpaceInsomniac said:
"I've been thinking about this for a while, and I think I have the answer.  It's not someone who doesn't own all current systems, it's not someone who's critical of consoles that they think could be better, and it's not even someone who feels one system is better than the others.  The one thing I feel truly makes someone a fanboy is a genuine interest and personal desire for the failure of a specific game company or console.  With that also comes becoming upset when a specific game company or console finds success.

If you've ever been upset by a 3rd party publisher releasing a once exclusive title on another platform...
If you've ever been upset to see a console fix something that was wrong with it, or become otherwise improved...

You're a sad, sorry little fanboy, and you're giving the hobby of video games a bad name.  Video games are not a zero sum game.  For one company to succeed, it does not mean another has to fail.

Anyone think I've got it right, or do you think something else makes someone a fanboy?

"
basically, yeah.
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By weltal

I agree but I'd like to add the type of fanboy that will defend their own console games blindly and attack other console's games without a reason beyond the fact that it's on a system they don't own/like.

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Blu_Magic
SpaceInsomniac said:
"I've been thinking about this for a while, and I think I have the answer.  It's not someone who doesn't own all current systems, it's not someone who's critical of consoles that they think could be better, and it's not even someone who feels one system is better than the others.  The one thing I feel truly makes someone a fanboy is a genuine interest and personal desire for the failure of a specific game company or console.  With that also comes becoming upset when a specific game company or console finds success.

"
You've summed it up pretty well.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Jayge_
SpaceInsomniac said:

"
I would say that's a little bit fanboy, but a lot more hater. You forgot the inability to accept rational thought and criticism regarding a product they support to illogical extremes. That would make it perfect.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By atejas
Jayge said:
"SpaceInsomniac said:

"
I would say that's a little bit fanboy, but a lot more hater. You forgot the inability to accept rational thought and criticism regarding a product they support to illogical extremes. That would make it perfect."

Couldnt have said it better.
Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By Termite

You should add disregard for genuine pros of other consoles

Whittico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Whittico
Jayge said:
I would say that's a little bit fanboy, but a lot more hater. You forgot the inability to accept rational thought and criticism regarding a product they support to illogical extremes. That would make it perfect."
Yeah, it's more hater than anything else.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rowr
atejas said:
"Jayge said:
"SpaceInsomniac said:

"

Couldnt have said it better."
yep thats it.

Post this up on the wiki and call it a sucess.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By Vaxadrin

What makes someone a fanboy?  An ego association of identity with possessions.

There are Ford & Chevy fanboys...Patriots & Cowboys fanboys...and America & UK fanboys.

The only thing that's really new as far as game consoles go is the term fanboy, which is actually kinda sexist.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jayge_

Given that most fangirls inhabit nintendo forums in the rank underbowels of the internet, I don't think anyone cares.

cakeorrdeath_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cakeorrdeath_
Sentry said:
"Exactly, so, so true. This and the fact that someone who ignores facts, stuff like that."

............says the biggest fucking Fanboy on the site.

LMAO!!! cant believe this kid still tries to act like he's not a ps3 fanboy. Hey kid, heres a hint, this thread is making fun of people like YOU
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jayge_
cakeorrdeath_ said:
"Sentry said:
"Exactly, so, so true. This and the fact that someone who ignores facts, stuff like that."

LMAO!!! cant believe this kid still tries to act like he's not a ps3 fanboy. Hey kid, heres a hint, this thread is making fun of people like YOU"
Here's a hint- no.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rowr
cakeorrdeath_ said:
"Sentry said:

LMAO!!! cant believe this kid still tries to act like he's not a ps3 fanboy. Hey kid, heres a hint, this thread is making fun of people like YOU"
yeh ive got to agree.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By Vaxadrin

I don't think he's trying to hide it...his name is blue.  One of the great things about this site is it gives you the option to wear your preference on your sleeve, and most do.

Keano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Keano
Rowr said:
"cakeorrdeath_ said:
"Sentry said:

yeh ive got to agree.
"
I second that.

This Sentry kid Trolls on the 360 board all day and posts negatives about the other 2 consoles while worshiping the ps3.....and now He's acting like he is not a fanboy? Lol
TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Yeah, I agree fully.

Adam_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Adam_West
Sentry said:

wait, and youre the one to talk??????? wow. umm if you havent noticed, we are making fanboys like you look silly......not celebrating them
Earthbounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Earthbounder

I think fanboys are those who don't see any flaws on their console of choice and just can't admit a game that is only going to be released to other systems is good.

Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Giantkitty

Quoting Wikipedia:

"Fanboy is a term used to describe an individual who is devoted to a single subject in an emotional or fanatical manner, or to a single point of view within that subject, often to the point where it is considered an obsession."

Your definition:

>The one thing I feel truly makes someone a fanboy is a genuine interest and personal desire for the failure of a specific game >company or console.  With that also comes becoming upset when a specific game company or console finds success.

I would put your definition under hater or hayter.

And many fanboys are haters of other systems. Or you can be just one or the other.

[Vaxadrin]
> ... the term fanboy, which is actually kinda sexist.

I'd go with fangirl, then. For fanperson doesn't sound too good.

[Jayge's reply to Vaxadrin]
>Given that most fangirls inhabit nintendo forums in the rank underbowels of the internet, I don't think anyone cares.

"Nobody" cares because it's a derogatory term. But look at things like mailmen, now they're mail delivery personnel or something like that. I think there should be equality for everything for everything, good and bad. Well, once bigger problems are solved, we'll work on this one.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jayge_

My old bus driver is a mailwoman now. People usually refer to them as such.

It's like saying "you guys" to a mixed group, but "you girls" to a group of women. It's acceptable.

bigpig33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bigpig33
SpaceInsomniac said:
"I've been thinking about this for a while,

YOU HAVE BEEN WASTING YOUR DAMN TIME
Keano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Keano
bigpig33 said:
"SpaceInsomniac said:
"I've been thinking about this for a while,

YOU HAVE BEEN WASTING YOUR DAMN TIME"
this
bigpig33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bigpig33
SpaceInsomniac said:

another thing, i want to see two consols fail so i dont have to spend so much money, but i dont care which ones
ajarbuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ajarbuckle

basically you won't give any concessions to the competing system. take the 360 vs. ps3. PS3 games (sometimes) have better graphics. a fanboy would argue different. And I am talking about comparing the exclusive games.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#29  Edited By OGCartman

Well theres alot of X factors, but i would say that a system you have fun memories with, your favorites games and a system u got really involved with

Adam_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Adam_West
bigpig33 said:
"SpaceInsomniac said:

another thing, i want to see two consols fail so i dont have to spend so much money, but i dont care which ones"

competition = consumer wins