• 134 results
#1 Edited by Alyssia (340 posts) -
#2 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -

To be honest I can't remember. I'm mainly on GB because of the forums. I watch some of the vids every now and then if it interests me.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I think it was the Klonoa Quick Look. I remember having trouble telling who the hell was who.

#4 Posted by Wolfgame (845 posts) -

Deadly Premonition endurance run it probably was a year after that i actually started watching quick looks. I'm not sure why i avoided them, maybe i thought they would be super serious previews. At that point i wasn't fully aware of how GB worked, it took me awhile to start frequenting the boards and live streams too

#5 Posted by zeppelinracer (49 posts) -

My uncle told me about this new startup out of the silicon valley area named "Giantbomb" because I was interested in videogames. Their MGS4 review was the first video of theirs I watched.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/metal-gear-solid-4-review/2300-22/

I got hooked shortly after. I must have been 12 at the time? How the years have gone by and how things have changed. Mostly for the better.
*Side note: I need to listen to the Bombcast more often.

#6 Edited by Milkman (17172 posts) -

Video? How to Build a Bomb Episode 1.

#7 Posted by SgtSphynx (1535 posts) -

I honestly don't remember, I just know that it was a quicklook that I was linked to and then I ended up making an account because I spent the next several hours watching random quicklooks.

#8 Edited by Hunter5024 (5893 posts) -

I've been visiting this site since before the proper launch, back when it was just a blog. The oldest video stuff I remember is How to Build a Bomb. They're awesome videos about them getting set up at their first location, and showing the website gradually come together. They posted all sorts of weird stuff back then. I remember Ryan wrote a top 10 list for video game ghosts, all the Pacman ghosts were on there, but in completely different spots (I can't seem to find this anywhere, I think it probably doesn't exist anymore).

#9 Posted by HatKing (6058 posts) -

I've followed the guys since their GameSpot days, so my first content would be, the conception of building GiantBomb, Arrow Pointing Down. That's a lazy answer though. So, I'll say that the first thing I really remember (outside of Bombcast), was the GTAIV stream they did. This was before they had a proper capture setup, so it was just a camera aimed at a TV. It was fucking awesome.

#10 Posted by Alyssia (340 posts) -

It was weird at first putting faces to the people in the bombcast. So glad I did though.

I still need to go finish watching that DP endurance run. I feel like I should focus on one group instead of watching each of them and seeing the same thing twice.

#11 Posted by mosespippy (4364 posts) -

The Arrow Pointing Down podcast or the wordpress blog. If we're going back to before Giant Bomb I think the first thing of Jeff's that I read was the Vice City review on Gamespot. So yeah, I've been reading these guys since 2002.

#12 Posted by Slaps2 (304 posts) -

If you haven't seen it yet, go check out the Rogue Warrior Quick Look. Fucking classic! I pity anyone whose first piece of content is from the post-Ryan era.

#13 Posted by AthleticShark (1193 posts) -

@milkman: yup same here. I was so done with GameSpot even before gerstmanngate

#14 Posted by FinalDasa (1973 posts) -

A bombcast though I don't know which one. I had been looking for a good podcast to listen to while playing games or walking to work and the Bombcast was perfect. After maybe a week or two I eventually ventured onto the site, started in on the Endurance Run, and have been coming back daily ever since.

#15 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -

How to Build a Bomb Episode 1.

The site has come a long way since the days of Jeff awkwardly fumbling with keys outside the original office space.

#16 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4866 posts) -

I'd always heard about Giant Bomb through smash-and-grab articles via Kotaku, but I resolved to actually check the site out one day and the first thing I saw was the 2Human Video Thing.

That was it for me.

#17 Edited by mosespippy (4364 posts) -

@alyssia: After 7 or 8 episodes one team starts to pull ahead and you can see the race happening. I think it's more interesting to see how they diverge based on the rewards of different side quests. You sort of miss out on that back and forth if you don't watch them in parallel.

#18 Posted by lun49gameon (151 posts) -

I remember it was probably the beginning or middle of 2011 and I was very happy with my internet after 3 years without it. I had started listening to podcast beyond and game scoop from IGN and I needed more podcasts to listen to, I checked the gaming section and saw Giantbomcast. At first I was a bit scared because I saw that the podcast was more than two hours, but then I realized that these were the funniest people I had ever heard. A few weeks later I finally went on the website and then I watched the persona 4 endurance run.

#19 Edited by pyromagnestir (4333 posts) -

One of the Arrow Pointing Down podcasts. Oh, video content. Um... One of the quick looks I guess? Maybe the Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts one? Or maybe the 2Human video thing. Can't remember. I know for the first few months I didn't pay much attention to the video content because my internet was garbage.

@alyssia said:

I feel like I should focus on one group instead of watching each of them and seeing the same thing twice.

Yep. That's probably for the best.

#20 Posted by kalmia64 (95 posts) -

I listened to the Bombcast for a bit before checking out the site. My first video? The Farmville series with Kessler and Lemon.

#21 Edited by Tom_omb (414 posts) -

I discovered Giant Bomb when I saw the podcast on the top of the iTunes video game chart. Can't remember the first show I listened to, but I do remember being impressed early on by their approach to game of the year deliberations. So I'm guessing I started listening late in 2010. It might have been a year or two before I started visiting the site regularly. Not sure if I could peg the earliest video content I saw since I've gone back and watched much of the archived stuff.

#22 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Uh, i think E3 late night livestream from years ago. Like 3-4 years ago.

#23 Edited by ajamafalous (12121 posts) -

@milkman said:

Video? How to Build a Bomb Episode 1.

#24 Posted by Itwongo (1231 posts) -

My first bombcast was the batmanbatmanbatman.com one. My first video was the quick look for Test Drive Unlimited 2.

#25 Edited by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

How to Build a Bomb? Something really early at least.

#26 Edited by Twisted (236 posts) -

I listened to a bombcast or two in 2009. I could be wrong but I remember watching the Rogue Warrior quick look when it came out, and I think that was the first video content I saw.

I was very on and off with my use of GB, mostly off, until around 2011 when I started to listen to more bombcasts and watch more video content.

Edit: I think the first episode of the bombcast I listened to was in 2008, because I remember the guys saying 'happy inauguration day' at the start and I thought it was hella funny and the U.S. Election was 2008 right?

Also I think the first video was the 'giantbomb.com! It's a site!' video but I don't think that counts as content.

#27 Posted by EVO (3929 posts) -

Been here since How To Build A Bomb. Those were the days...

#28 Posted by baka_shinji17 (292 posts) -

Chrono Trigger Endurance Run. I couldn't beat Lavos's final form so I did a quick google search and ended up here. After that I just started regularly checkin' out the site. Though in the beginning I could not tell who the hell was who. Brad was Jeff, Ryan was Vinny, Drew was...I don't know what. Eventually I figured it out and since then I've been glad to be a duder.

#29 Edited by DeadpanCakes (1040 posts) -

The first QL I watched was Scribblenauts: Unlimited. I remember thinking at the time, "this Ryan guy is kinda a jerk. He keeps griefing this Patrick guy and the dev," (totally great in hindsight). That brought me to the Cherry Tree High Comedy Club QL, which came out around the same time. It wouldn't have stuck with me so much if I hadn't noticed Vinny making Persona 4 references which caught my attention. I found out they did a playthrough of my favorite game and the rest was history.

I remember the first Bombcast I listened to had talk of the Super Mario movie.

It wasn't until down the line after I'd put voices to names to faces (I'm terrible with names) that I realized I'd heard about them from gamespot, years back.

#30 Posted by csl316 (9237 posts) -

Their Red Faction: Guerrilla review showed up on a Google search at work. Then I backtracked into the Quick Look (which was sub-10 minutes!). So I stuck around.

Granted, if that video didn't feature a Geo-mod hammer, my first impression of this site would've probably been way different.

#31 Edited by Aegon (5759 posts) -

Welp, I remember reading the first couple of blogs posted here before there were any videos.

Something about MGS4 and maybe a poker game?

I watched quick looks pretty much since their inception (before they were named as such), but I remember getting into the endurance run after a few episodes in. I wasn't too sure what it was...people playing an entire video game? Who would want to see that? (Me, apparently).

I also got into the bombcast after there were already a few episodes out. Didn't listen to most the arrow pointing down episodes. I was actually pretty hesitant to listen to a podcast. It was a new form of entertainment for me that I wasn't sure I was going to like.

#32 Posted by Greonhal (14 posts) -

My first video was Noby Noby Boy. I wanted to see what the hell that thing was, and the Quick Look was the first video I found. My friends and I still sometimes yell "Press Pac-Man Pac-Man!" at each other when trying to figure out the controls of a game.

#33 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5983 posts) -

Rogue Warrior

#34 Edited by Bipa (119 posts) -

For years my friend would link me to random GB videos and youtube compilations people made but it never occurred to me to actually check out Giant Bomb until last year. No idea why it took me so long. I think the first major piece of content I consumed when i finally came here would have been one of the free live streams, got me to buy a sub and binge watch all the Unprofessional Fridays.

#35 Posted by crusader8463 (14426 posts) -

No idea. I came over when 1up was bought out/imploded years ago and I was reading people in the comments saying giantbomb was where the kool kids are at so I gave it a look. My first thought was one of disgust, as I remember trying gamespot many years before and absolutely hated these guys. I thought they were super obnoxious and annoying but for some reason it clicked on this site and I just stayed. As my post count can attest to; for a long time it was the forums having some interesting conversations that kept me here, but that has all but gone away in the last few years and I'm kind of just here out of habit more then anything. I waste so many hours of my week watching gb stuff that I couldn't imagine not having gb in my life. While I don't enjoy the content even a 1/4 of what I used to, there's always enough sprinkled here and there that I keep coming back. Used to be a time when I had watched literally everything. Never missed a single video, ql or anything that went up. Now I find myself skipping most QLs, or falling really far behind and just not getting around to watching them for awhile. Mostly because the video player has been fucking atrocious forever and everything looks like ass unless I d/l it in HD. Which takes FOREVER.

#36 Posted by ThunderSlash (1906 posts) -

It was probably the 4 player Borderlands quick look they did. Although I did know who Jeff was due to 8.8-gate and Gerstmanngate. I didn't really follow them until after GameSpot though.

#37 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4733 posts) -
#38 Posted by Rand (53 posts) -

The first content on giant bomb i watched was the quick look for 3d dot game heroes a firend of mine randomly linked back in 2009. I really like long videos and giant bomb has that in spades, then i found the endurance run for persona 4 and have loved the site ever since.

#39 Edited by BisonHero (6789 posts) -

I was reading a Kotaku article about Borderlands, and in the comments somebody posted a link to a Youtube rip (pre-Giant Bomb having a proper Youtube channel) of the Borderlands: Mad Moxxi's Underdome Quick Look. It was also just about the first time I'd seen anything like a Let's Play that wasn't just immediately pulled off of Youtube for copyright issues, so the idea of "Holy shit, I can just watch guys play a game and tell me about it" fucking blew my mind compared to just reading articles about a game I'm considering checking it.

To some extent, it still kinda blows my mind how useful Quick Look (and Let's Plays) are as a resource to tell if a game is the kind of thing I would like or not.

#40 Edited by flasaltine (1694 posts) -

Before the site launched there was a review for Condemned 2. Also the How to Build a Bomb episodes.

#41 Posted by believer258 (12081 posts) -

The first thing that I watched from Giantbomb was the FEAR 3 Quick Look, actually. I was searching for some gameplay video of it. I saw "Giantbomb" and I thought "wait a minute, isn't that the Gamespot guy's thing that he made after leaving Gamespot?"

So I watched it. Then I watched some more Quick Looks. Then I joined. Then I posted.

#42 Posted by ShaggE (6625 posts) -

Y'know, I haven't the foggiest. It was... fuck... 2010...? Maaaybe late '09? No idea what I watched or what made me the duder I am today, though.

I knew of Jeff "Jeff Gerstmann" Gerstmann and his various -gates, and that he had created some sort of large explosive website that was a game wiki or somesuch, but that was about it.

I do believe "The Giant Bombcast" (every Tuesday at whenever! Catch the wave!) was my first podcast, as I had previously written off the concept of an online radio show, but I needed more Giant Bomb Dot Biz in my life. So in a way, Giant Bomb is indirectly responsible for my love of MBMBaM and Welcome to Night Vale, which means... nothing, really.

#43 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11994 posts) -

The wordpress blog, a month or two after they officially started calling themselves Giant Bomb instead of Arrow Pointing Down, and even before they brought on Brad and Vinny. I've... probably spent too much time here.

#44 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1870 posts) -

#45 Posted by Shaunage (722 posts) -

It was probably episode 1 of How to Build a Bomb. Got in on ground floor.

#46 Edited by Ezekiel (513 posts) -

I think the only Giantbomb video I've watched is the 12 minute MGS V gameplay demo. I don't remember watching any original content.

Oh, and the Quick Look of Dark Souls II (Steam), after someone posted it on another forum. The first five minutes or so.

#47 Posted by deadeyes (71 posts) -

Mine was the Shank Quick Look I think. Saw that and decided I needed to browse the site.

#48 Posted by afabs515 (1258 posts) -

Persona 4 Endurance Run: Episode 1

#49 Edited by Steadying (1411 posts) -

I believe it was some Hulk Hogan kinect game quick look. " I'M GONNA MAKE SWEET LOVE TO 'EM, FROM THE BACK! " ....or something like that.

#50 Posted by Capum15 (4960 posts) -

It was either the first episode of the P4 ER (though they had about 15 or so out at the time), or a Quick Look. Not sure, been a while.