What You Think Is The Most Biggest Scams In The Gaming Industry?

• 167 results
Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#51  Edited By Sooperspy

@Thegore said:

MS Points 1600 for $20, 4000 for $50 I know I am beating a dead horse but really?

I don't get it what you're saying here. What is the big deal? That you can only buy it in $20 and $50 cards? Or do you think that there is something wrong with the math in the cards?

theslothking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By theslothking

Eventually it will be kickstarter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5998b7e12fabb
deactivated-5998b7e12fabb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The packs you buy in games like Mass Effect 3 multiplayer or FIFA Ultimate Team. I can't express how much I hate them. While in FIFA they can be ignored entirely, in Mass Effect 3 it can't and it's only there to create a grind, make it harder for people to get the stuff they want, appeal to some physiological effect associated with opening them packs and of course, make it much preferable to buy them using real money essentially.

They make the packs so much that it could take upto an hour of playing to unlock a pack, or you can unlock it for 240 MSP. I hate it and it should never be only method to getting items in a game. I never support them but I heard anecdotally that they make good money, so I don't see them going anywhere soon. Pity.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Scooper

Paying to play games online then raising that price for no reason.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Sooperspy

@Scooper said:

Paying to play games online then raising that price for no reason.

But they added Netflix and Hulu and HBO Go, etc.... All things that Ps3 gets for free...

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By williamhenry

@skyline7284 said:

@WilliamHenry said:

@falserelic said:

Gamestop is another one I don't like the way they do business.

Thats fine, I don't like how they push stuff on their customers either, but how is Gamestop a scam?

Well they buy your games for like $3.00 (Okay, $3.50 if you're lucky) and then turn around and sell them for $30 - $40...

Prove to me they flip games for that much profit and I might agree with the original statement. I get that they don't pay you what a game is actually worth, but if they did, they couldn't sell the game for a profit either. They're a business, they have to make money. If you don't like how much they pay, then don't trade your games in at Gamestop. You'll always get more money on Amazon or eBay.

@falserelic said:

@WilliamHenry said:

@falserelic said:

Gamestop is another one I don't like the way they do business.

Thats fine, I don't like how they push stuff on their customers either, but how is Gamestop a scam?

You trade in games and not get much out of it. I had a few people wouldn't let me buy a new game, unless I had pre-ordered something. I've bought games that didn't work tried to get my money back, but gamestop wouldn't let me.

They have to turn a profit on the games you trade in. If they gave you what the games were worth, they wouldn't make any money. I don't see how them refusing to sell you a game is a scam. It sucks, but how is it a scam? If that actually happened, which I don't fully believe. I also don't believe you saying they wouldn't take back a defective game. Last I checked, they have a seven day return window.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#57  Edited By Bones8677

Probably releasing a game unfinished and then fixing it later through patches.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I hate not being able to deposit exact cash amounts into a distribution service. For instance, you can only deposit money into steam in $5, $10, etc. Just let me pay the exact amount do I don't give you money that will just sit in my e-wallet for months.

mitsuko_souma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By mitsuko_souma

Most of the things listed in this thread are the preferred business methods of EA. Coincidence, I think not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When games get dumb downed pisses me off more then anything in the gaming industry example FEAR 2 the first game was epic on PC the second game everything good from the original game was gone I'm still waiting for a true sequel to FEAR.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By falserelic

@WilliamHenry said:

They have to turn a profit on the games you trade in. If they gave you what the games were worth, they wouldn't make any money. I don't see how them refusing to sell you a game is a scam. It sucks, but how is it a scam? If that actually happened, which I don't fully believe. I also don't believe you saying they wouldn't take back a defective game. Last I checked, they have a seven day return window.

I can understand that they have to make money. But for some games that are still new they still give you little. Like when Max Payne 3 came out and I traded it in a few weeks later, I only got 15 bucks out of it. As for the broken game I never understood why I didn't get my money. I had the receipt, but then again I didn't return the games after a few days later.

Ronin147

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Ronin147

Call of Duty Elite and map packs for shooters

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By AngelN7

@VaddixBell said:

The packs you buy in games like Mass Effect 3 multiplayer or FIFA Ultimate Team. I can't express how much I hate them. While in FIFA they can be ignored entirely, in Mass Effect 3 it can't and it's only there to create a grind, make it harder for people to get the stuff they want, appeal to some physiological effect associated with opening them packs and of course, make it much preferable to buy them using real money essentially.

They make the packs so much that it could take upto an hour of playing to unlock a pack, or you can unlock it for 240 MSP. I hate it and it should never be only method to getting items in a game. I never support them but I heard anecdotally that they make good money, so I don't see them going anywhere soon. Pity.

Ok now that's false , a silver match will earn you 30,000 Credits, 1 silver match last about 20-25 min even when playing with random people (I have only played with random people) so 2 matches (40 min of play) will earn you 60,000 credits wich enough to buy a Specter pack so you can play 4 matches in a single night for 2 packs that give you the rare stuff you want or if you're feeling brave then play 2 gold matches and buy 2 Premium packs , I haven't spend a single dime on the multiplayer because you don't need to , the game encorages you to play don't want to play but instead have all the gear? then pay if you don't want the hastle of you know... playing the game (wich is weird why would you avoid playing the game where you want to use the gear you're paying for) again is totally up to you to play as much as you want and get something out of it.

mitsuko_souma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By mitsuko_souma

@falserelic said:

@WilliamHenry said:

I can understand that they have to make money. But for some games that are still new they still give you little. Like when Max Payne 3 came out and I traded it in a few weeks later, I only got 15 bucks out of it. As for the broken game I never understood why I didn't get my money. I had the receipt, but then again I didn't return the games after a few days later.

If you traded in Max Payne 3 right now at Best Buy they would give you $27. Lol this is why nobody should go to Gamestop. Ever.

Thegore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Thegore

I guess I am more concerned with the exchange rate. I like the idea of the MS points, but it is the process of paying $10 for 800. Why can't it be $10 for 1000?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#66  Edited By musubi

@mitsuko_souma said:

@falserelic said:

@WilliamHenry said:

If you traded in Max Payne 3 right now at Best Buy they would give you $27. Lol this is why nobody should go to Gamestop. Ever.

Well, many places don't have access to Best Buy. I know I don't have a Best Buy within reasonable driving distance. Its gamestop or nothing for me if I want to trade in games.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By BaneFireLord

Retailer exclusive pre-order bonuses are pretty heinous. Actually, pre-order bonuses in general are pretty heinous.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Cloudenvy

I don't know if I'd call it a scam, but the whole notion of pre-ordering to access the demo is craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy.

mitsuko_souma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By mitsuko_souma

@Demoskinos said:

@mitsuko_souma said:

@falserelic said:

@WilliamHenry said:

Well, many places don't have access to Best Buy. I know I don't have a Best Buy within reasonable driving distance. Its gamestop or nothing for me if I want to trade in games.

Ok so you don't have access to Best Buy, but trading it to Amazon.com as of today is worth "up to $20.25" according to their site. And this and the Best Buy prices are current, he traded it in at Gamestop less than a month after release and only got $15. That place is a total scam.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By musubi

@mitsuko_souma said:

@Demoskinos said:

@mitsuko_souma said:

@falserelic said:

@WilliamHenry said:

Ok so you don't have access to Best Buy, but trading it to Amazon.com as of today is worth "up to $20.25" according to their site. And this and the Best Buy prices are current, he traded it in at Gamestop less than a month after release and only got $15. That place is a total scam.

I wouldn't trade at amazon either. The hassle of actually sending it in isn't worth it. If I'm trading games its usually a situation where I want results NOW. I hardly ever trade games anymore. Last time i did was in Febuary and was only because I was without a job and wanted twisted metal. I knew I was getting ripped off but I also wanted the game and was willing to accept the loss to get what I wanted.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By falserelic

@Cloudenvy said:

I don't know if I'd call it a scam, but the whole notion of pre-ordering to access the demo is craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy.

I never understood that either.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By SmilingPig

Money pit games (like all Zynga games), any game that lets you spend 1000$ in a month (or a day for that matter) takes advantage of compulsive addicts witch are mentally ill people.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By No0b0rAmA

The Ouya.

KingPossum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By KingPossum

Ouya might end up being the biggest scam of them all for the consumers who attribute. Only time will tell.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#75  Edited By Slag

Having to rebuy previously purchased downloaded content on the next generation of consoles.

I bet that's going to happen.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By NegativeCero

Limited editions. For what is included in them, most games don't warrant them on top of the regular version. At least I don't think so, but then again I only own like two

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xbox Live

joke

DLC is probably not the most blatant and offensive but it is the most common, shit like horse armor...

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By SexyToad

The 1$ Xbox live ads. You'llhave to pay 3.99 I believe each month afterwards until youn cancel.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By iam3green

pretty much DLC, monthly fee xbox live. xbox live don't even have servers. it's all peer to peer. preorder exclusives. people from development lie about what some stuff that's going to be in the game.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#80  Edited By LordAndrew

Anti-virus HDMI cables. They don't actually protect your TV from Xbox viruses!

Tomzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#81  Edited By Tomzombie

pre-order bonus stuff specific to stores FUCK You.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By DrPockets000

Well I think that the biggest grammatical travesty is that thread title. 

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By PillClinton

I still think on-disc DLC is some real bullshit. Does that make me a crank?

@DrPockets000: Also, yes.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By me3639
@Bones8677 said:

Probably releasing a game unfinished and then fixing it later through patches.

Exact reason i never buy a game day one any more. Its sad how it has become pretty much accepted and expected. i would also add DLC that is obvious it was cut from the game ala Catwoman.
me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By me3639
@Tomzombie said:

pre-order bonus stuff specific to stores FUCK You.

Crap forgot about this scam. Totally agree.
Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Online passes, it's such a horrible idea, and yet a small amount of people still bring it up to remind people it's a needless, greedy protection. In the end it's just harming the consumer.

NickyDubz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#87  Edited By NickyDubz

@me3639: That was basically their idea of an online pass which im totally ok with....anything that helps give devs some of that used game money Gamestop is hoggin

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By MikkaQ

I don't mind paying for Xbox Live, but I don't think it's fair to show ads on the dash if you pay the subscription.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By LikeaSsur

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@IkariNoTekken: I want it, but I want to unlock it, not pay for it.
Back in my time...ramble ramble.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Anything that changes the aesthetic of something really shouldn't be paid for, it should be earned.

I don't care if I had to kill 10 million Locust with the chainsaw to unlock the pretty pink skin, as long as I had the option to do so.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By toowalrus

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Skin packs, DLC that's barely a hour long or pre order bonus nonsense.

Absolutely. I rarely but cosmetic DLC, though I'd have paid good money for this, the Obama/Palin skins looked hilarious. Too bad they never got around to releasing it. Poor Pandemic (yeah, I'm one of the few people who actually liked Mercs 2.)

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By hippie_genocide

Microsoft Spacebucks. Its not even that I mind the microtransactions of this gen of consoles, but why do I have to prepay for their stupid points that I'll never use? Inevitably I always end up with a small balance of points that I can't buy anything with. They already have my credit card information, so just bill it for whatever the thing I want costs. Its a total scam.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#92  Edited By Lazyaza

I can usually ignore or find a way around the bad dlc and shitty pricing scams. The general practice of bad games selling for the same price as good games however is the biggest scam that irritates me. I can look at a game that seems terrible and ignore it but seeing them succeed so frequently (thus breeding many more) while countless great original creatively interesting ones fail is depressing at best. Marketing and brand recognition is truly awe inspiring with how powerful it can be and it is deeply saddening how many people let it control their lives so easily.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@DrPockets000 said:

Wow, didn't even notice it.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#94  Edited By shiftymagician

@BabyChooChoo said:

This is a bit of a stretch considering it's not technically a scam in and of itself, but my pick is for all the cg trailers and shit we've seen over the years. Don't get me wrong, I love all those crazy cg trailers...but c'mon

How the fuck does this

represent this?

SWTOR is by no means the only game to do this, but still. Wouldn't this be false advertising for almost anything else?

I'm with you that this is one of those things that I hate a lot. I'll never let this taint my view on the game when it releases, but man it is so pointless. All it does to me personally is wish there was an action game made to represent what is done in the trailers instead of having a game that won't give you anything resembling what was shown in the trailer.

I may be a huge minority in thinking this, but I would love to see Blizzard make an action game that actually tries to replicate the scope and excitement that their CG work shows. I would love to fight against that giant monster that came out of that mountain in a 3rd person action game in a size like Shadow of the Colossus, but no I am reduced to a limited isometric view, interacting in a way that (to me personally) will never give me the excitement I get in seeing their CG videos.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#95  Edited By kalmis

I don't mind DLC normally, but that GoW gun skin stuff is pretty bullshit. Then again they wouldn't ask for that money if no one paid.

First thing that came to my mind when I saw the thread was of course Ouya, maybe too early to tell. There sure are some serious flaws in that.

Other serious contendor is free to play games. Sure there games that handle it well (like LoL, Tribes), but mostly it is just awful. Like pretty much all of Android marketplace, which funnily enough what Ouya will probably use.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#96  Edited By Hunter5024

@DrPockets000 said:

Maybe english isn't his first language rude... face.

bakumatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#97  Edited By bakumatsu

Zynga.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#98  Edited By beargirl1

i don't like retailer specific / retailer exclusive pre-order content. it always makes me feel like i'm never getting the complete package. i don't really like online passes either. it makes me skip out on games that i don't have enough interest in to buy at full price.

Thanatos3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Thanatos3

@VaddixBell: It on lt takes like two matches to get enough in game money to buy the most expensive packs in me3. It never seemed like that much of a problem, its not like someone is buying an advantage over other players.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Vodun

Hello [PLAYER_NAME]! I need you to kill [#] of [ENEMY_TYPE] and bring me their [ITEM_NAME].