What's the best feeling FPS?

• 61 results
qnnplmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm looking for something with chunky-ass guns. Hard hitting, lots of bass, the like. Battlefield isn't bad for that but I feel like we could do better.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Csgo?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I really liked the "gun feel" of Rage by ID Software. Bulletstorm also controlled great. And credit where it's due, what I played of the Destiny beta felt pretty nice.

qnnplmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mortuss_zero: Oh man Bulletstorm! Hell yeah. Time to boot that back up for sure.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By monetarydread

This post makes me think of the fact that you are looking more for sound-design than anything else. You mention that Battlefield is okay, but that is the pinnacle of hard-hitting, lots of bass, shooters. Killzone was alright, but I wouldn't put it in the top 50 best-feeling shooters out there. If anything I would put it in the bottom-five worst feeling shooters of all time (with the caveat that I played the game at launch and I hear that patches have fixed some of the awful input-lag that was present).

If Battlefield doesn't do it for you, then maybe try out the PC version of Max Payne 3. The game is awful if you are playing with a controller, but a good mouse & Keyboard setup and you have the one of the best feeling shooters of the last generation. The sound design of the shootouts pushes my 7.1 setup further than Battlefield 4 can, and the whole thing is reminiscent of the Foley work in the movie Heat. I love how there is an exaggerated, yet grounded in real-life gun sound to the game and the low-end is real punchy instead of thumpy.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NTM

Perhaps not the best in terms of big, heavy guns, but my favorite shooters are F.E.A.R., Riddick, and Crysis. Try those maybe. Killzone 2 was mentioned and yeah, I'd agree with that one. Are you looking for a game that has weapons that'll make your room rattle due to bass, and it feels great to shoot dudes still? Well, I mentioned three, and while I love them, they're again, perhaps not the best for what you're looking for, but they are certainly good feeling shooters, F.E.A.R. most of all, while Riddick and Crysis have weapons that feel good to shoot, but it benefits through other gameplay elements, which does (in case of Crysis) and doesn't (in case of Riddick) pertain to the topic here.

qnnplmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monetarydread: I do actually love the weapon feel in Battlefield, sorry. I should've been more clear. It does feel and sound amazing, but I don't like multiplayer online shooters (because I'm not particularly good at them) and the campaigns in those games are mediocre at best.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By coaxmetal
No Caption Provided

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I don't play that many FPS's, and it's likely not what you're looking for, but I've always really enjoyed the shooting in Borderlands 2+Pre-Sequel. The Jakobs shotguns in particular are an absolute beast.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I finished Far Cry 4 recently and I thought that had some great feeling guns, mainly due to the sound. In particular, the shotguns and LMGs sound great and pack a good punch.

qnnplmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By qnnplmr
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#13  Edited By Yummylee

@ajayraz said:

I finished Far Cry 4 recently and I thought that had some great feeling guns, mainly due to the sound. In particular, the shotguns and LMGs sound great and pack a good punch.

Oh yes, Far Cry 4 has a superb sawn-off shotgun.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Quake

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Heavy Bullets is pretty good. It has bullets and they feel pretty heavy.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

DOOM

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

F.E.A.R. felt super good, and I really liked the handling of the new Wolfenstein.

FranticRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

FEAR was good at the time, Killzone 2 was good once they fixed those movement issues (Killzone 2 is still the best game in the series). I've always thought that Call of Duty 2 and Call of Duty 4 were great as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

F.E.A.R. Obviously my choice I never get bored of the gunplay all the weapons feel unique can't believe it's ten years old and still doesn't feel dated to me nothing has top the firefights in the game.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

• Doom 2
  • Rage (really only positive thing about the game was the gunplay)
  • Bulletstorm (really want to see a Bulletstorm 2, dick lips!)
Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Justin258

FEAR, and every id game ever.

Halo also tends to have guns that sound pretty meaty.

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nonono. What you want is

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FEAR is up there, for sure. I'd also throw out Syndicate as a contender, actually. Maybe not the bass stuff, but goddamn the actual shooting and guns in that game felt great. I think Half Life 2 should get an obvious shout out here, too. The shotgun, the pulse gun, the gravity gun - all felt so goddamn amazing at the time. Hasn't aged the best, but fuckin' A it was incredible.

In terms of pure sound design, Battlefield is probably the pinnacle of melding good-feeling and great sounding guns. I'd have to say that, strangely enough, the best sounding weapons I've ever shot in a game is a mod replacing the sound effects of the guns in Fallout 3 and NV. LOUD AS FUCK. Yet unfortunately that does nothing to solve the gunplay feeling like a flaming pile of garbage. Win one fight, lose another.

also doom shotgun

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say F.E.A.R. It's too easy, but the controls are great.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WELCOME TO QUAKE III ARENA. HUNT CRASH TO WIN THIS ARENA.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By gundogan

Any id game really (and Brutal Doom). Bad Company 2 + wartapes (has a decent singleplayer). The Soldier of Fortune games are alright in combination with the gore effects. The first Blood has cool hardhitting stuff too.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#30 fisk0  Moderator

Quake, Doom 1/2 and F.E.A.R all feel and sound fantastic. I thought the weapons felt like garbage in Quake III Arena though, nothing felt powerful and the sound design was pretty underwhelming. Q3A had the same ridiculously poor plasma rifle sound we got to hear in that new Doom 4 gameplay. And while the weapons sounded great in Quake II, the actual gunplay always felt weird in that one.

The weapons in SiN and Half-Life 1 weren't bad either.

Casey25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Casey25

I've always felt Gears has some of the most impactful, visceral gunplay in a shooter. The shotguns tearing up torsos and the satisfying POP of a headshot have stuck with me.

Killing Floor (and the early access no. 2) with its punchy guns and death metal soundtrack might hit the spot. Best game for tearin up zombies (er, "specimens").

Tripwire's Red Orchestra 2 offers the MG42, which is pretty fun to shoot, being the bonesaw that it is.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Painkiller and/or Bulletstorm in a somewhat modern context

keith7198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Feeling" is so objective. Personally, while the game isn't perfect and it has detractors, I think the weapons of Destiny feel absolutely wonderful. But then again it all depends on how you interpret "feel". It seems like the op is indeed looking for something like Quake. I would definitely through Painkiller in there as well.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I adore the gun feel of Killing Floor. It's fantastic. CoD has had some pretty fantastic feeling weapons, but I'm sure you've brushed with that before because who hasn't at this point.

F.E.A.R. and Far Cry 4 are both good picks, too. I'm also a big fan of classic DOOM and have been messing with Brutal DOOM lately which is very satisfing gun-wise.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By pweidman

Pure sublime shooting mechanics: Destiny easily. Effects, impact, and 'feel': Gears of War.

Enuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Destiny *duckandcover*

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CSGO, although Killzone 2 has a special place in my heart for being one of the few console shooters to feel right for me

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

FEAR might be the best shooter I've ever played.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killzone 2 was absolutely my first thought, I'm so glad to see I'm not alone in that.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't understand the people saying F.E.A.R I rented F.E.A.R 3 once and hated it, barely played 2 hours.

Bulletstorm is great and Wolfenstein The New Order has great feeling weapons. Halo 4 too.

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Strong disagree on Killzone 2. I hear they patched the handling in MP, but SP is still the same garbage-fest it was in 2009. I mean...if you want to watch a clip of someone excessively gunning down a Helghast, all the hit reactions are super detailed, the sound design is good...it hits the notes in microcosm. But when you have to actually play it, it falls apart. Aiming/moving feels like you're a drunk baby wearing sunglasses at night.

Killzone 3, on the other hand, is a much better game. Campaign is still boring as hell, but it handles way better than its predecessor. If you're curious about the "Killzone feel," 3's a good place to check it out. 2 is obviously a distinctive thing, but in my experience it is the bad kind of distinctive.

I'll second Black, for PS2 and Xbox, though that campaign is also boring and some of the levels are annoying shoot-outs with people way outside of your effective weapon range.

STRONGEST AGREE on F.E.A.R. I never finished the campaign so I don't know how well it holds up, but the shootouts even in the first level are incredible. It's largely helped by the slow-mo, but they do a lot with the lighting on muzzle flashes and hit reactions. They also use some super clever texture work to make bullet impacts seem like you're ripping the damn walls apart. A lot of what makes F.E.A.R. special is kind of a facade that breaks if you look at it the wrong way (e.g. the A.I. isn't actually that smart, they just built the levels to guide them around in surprising ways), but it's pretty rad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

F.E.A.R. shotgun is so satisfying

@pinner458 said:

Don't understand the people saying F.E.A.R I rented F.E.A.R 3 once and hated it, barely played 2 hours.

Bulletstorm is great and Wolfenstein The New Order has great feeling weapons. Halo 4 too.

F.E.A.R 1 2005 PC is the one to play F.E.A.R. 2 and 3 where dumbed down garbage the weapons look like plastic toys and the gun sounds where weak.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jec03: FEAR 2 was still alright. A step down, but it still had the spirit of the original. 3 was just a complete departure that shouldn't of even been called FEAR.

Newfangled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Destiny's gunthetics a whooole bunch.

Gun.

thetics.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going off memory but I really loved how Call of Duty played on the PC way back when.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jec03: Yeah I did some research and obviously I jumped in at the wrong time. Read a review of F.E.A.R 3 that Ryan did, said its nothing compared to the first entry.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Destiny. Nothing comes close.

There's a reason people are still playing it now. If there was a game that had Borderlands' gun controls, movement, "feel", but the overall structure and high-level design of Destiny, no one would be playing it today.

And for TPS - Gears of War.

Weirdly enough, both of those are console exclusives. I've played a lot of PC shooters as well, but none of them are as good in the "feel" department as the above two.

Avatar image for cairnsythebeard
CairnsyTheBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 22

The shotgun in Doom or the shoutgun in Gears of War

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

F.E.A.R was the first game to make me feel, and see the impact of firearms in a video game.