No Caption Provided
louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By louiedog

What's up with people creating this exact thread over and over? Stop it. His QL performance nerves are probably shot from jerks telling him that he sucks every day in the comments.

duskvamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By duskvamp

I enjoy Brad quick looks. The only time that I've gotten at all frustrated was when he was playing L4D2 on TNT... Spawn damnit!!!! Now! Get him now!! Ahhhh you're dead arghghgh

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I like how the idea is that the problem is Brad is talking during QLs that cause him to ignore instructions. If that was the problem, why have they never thought to shut up and watch the game instead of spending all their time having an unrelated conversation about the game? Why even play it at that point, if it's just "Brad says that he doesn't understand the mechanics and says it would be better on PC", why not just have him say that against a black screen?

Playing Deadly Premonition for the ER, he pays attention and talks to react to events on the screen. Playing Bioshock DLC, he ignores the yellow arrow telling him where to go next because he's too busy talking about the powers that you get later. Like, what?

Revenant86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By Revenant86

being good at games is so mainstream. Brad is just expressing his inner rebellious teen in the quicklooks 

no but srsly, I love brad. he makes quicklooks interesting

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By Jimbo

When Brad plays Snakes & Ladders, it's just called Snakes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Jimbo

When Brad plays Snakes & Ladders, it's just called Snakes.

Brad lost his license to play operation.
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#58  Edited By rjayb89

Brad wants to seem vulnerable to women, so he dies a lot on video and uses it to his advantage. The sensitve, irresistible type he is.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By hwy_61

@rjayb89 said:

Brad wants to seem vulnerable to women, so he dies a lot on video and uses it to his advantage. The sensitve, irresistible type he is.

LOL

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By lockwoodx

Brad has one foot out the door. It sounds like he's ready to move on from gaming when I hear him in quicklooks.

WilyBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By WilyBoy

Quick Looks used to be the thing I came to Giant Bomb for, but lately Brad has been driving so many that I can barely watch them. I understand that talking and playing is difficult, I've tried it myself and it is hard to divide your attention like that. I don't mind so much that he dies, but it's really frustrating that he barely seems to understand how to play the game he is supposed to be demonstrating. It seems that, more often than not, his answer to any question from whoever's in the passenger seat is "Um, I'm not really sure...". I wouldn't mind his playing poorly if he could at least talk about the game intelligently, but he doesn't seem capable of doing either. It's frustrating when I can SEE how the game works just from watching the Quick Look, but he doesn't seem to get it even when he's put time into the game before they turn the cameras on.

I don't mean to bash Brad, I do enjoy his articles and his reviews. He's just not good when he's put on the spot, and I don't think he should be driving Quick Looks as frequently as he is now.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By emkeighcameron

I just wish Brad wouldn't do so MANY of the quicklooks. It seems like he's in every damn one lately. I miss the Ryan/Jeff team-up.

wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#63  Edited By wrathofconn

I don't really care if whoever is playing the game is bad at it or has a hard time doing it while talking, it would just be nice if the dudes glanced at the manual or the game's page on their own website before starting a QL. Five minutes of research can't be worse then twenty minutes of not knowing what the fuck you're doing. It seems like Jeff and Vinny (when he's actually at the controls, which is rare) are the only ones who bother to learn what's going on before recording footage of a game that they're not actively reviewing.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#64  Edited By DeeGee

Ocarina of Time 3D quick look.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#65  Edited By Claude
Oh yeah, well, fuck you too.
Oh yeah, well, fuck you too.
deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66  Edited By deanoxd

wow the narcissism is thick in thread, i know i don't have to stand up or defend Brad, he is a big boy and if he chooses to he will. so i say this to all that think they are better, know better and can do better then get it done. get your web site running get the QL section going and start posting and i am sure there will be no body in the comments critiquing your actions and abilities because it will be the best we ever saw.

and for the record i don't consider myself good at games, i play games and do my best when i am.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#67  Edited By Ramone

The whole point of quick looks is to show people something they might not have seen otherwise (either because they haven't heard of the game in question or there isn't a demo e.t.c). Generally Quick Looks are unrehearsed so that the viewer is essentially getting the same experience that they would have had had they actually been playing the game for the first time. I don't think it is particularly unlikely that many people who played (SotC) may have been confused by the grip meter, and this is coming from someone who has never played the game, as it does not seem to be explained in the slightest. Although many people in the comments section were saying it was obvious I imagine that all of those people have played the game and are extremely familiar with it. Brad said during the QL that the last time he played it was a year after it's release (about 5 years ago) so I do not blame him for forgetting some of the mechanics. I am not saying that it is not frustrating watching Brad or any other member of staff fail at something which seems easy however we must remember that they are in front of a camera trying to both play and talk intelligently about a game. I would wager that every single person who said 'Brad you're stupid it's so easy it's a big ass pink circle' would probably have failed to do or notice something similar in a different game under those circumstances. We must also take into account that Brad and the rest of the crew play a lot of games so expecting them to be great at everyone would be ridiculous and finally and most importantly Brad is a good reviewer and general personality at Whiskey Media and I would much rather endure his antics than watch someone speed run every QL.

RafaelMei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By RafaelMei

No need to be so harsh duders. But still, they could at least play a little of the game before recording, that would prevent a lot of embarrassment.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By AgentofChaos

Some people are not great at video games. And really, who cares?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Milkman

For the last month or so, it seems like we can''t go one day without a huge thread popping up bitching about SOMETHING. It's fine to be critical of things but I feel like this community has become a bunch of incessant whiners.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Milkman

@Buzzkill said:

Brad has one foot out the door. It sounds like he's ready to move on from gaming when I hear him in quicklooks.

This is the dumbest shit. People have been saying this since the site launched and it's completely retarded. Apparently, everyone of these boards is a fucking psychiatric who knows exactly what's going through Brad's mind at all times. Get a grip.

Avatar image for relentlessknight
RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#72  Edited By RelentlessKnight

there's nothing wrong with brad

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By McGhee

What's funny is instead of thinking, "yeah, I should have figured this game out a little before the QL," The whole GB crew will probably start making jokes about all the nerd rage over Brad's gaming shortcomings.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By iam3green

i don't think so. maybe yoou people are just blind... nah, i don't know what his problem is with playing and talking with video games. he did do pretty bad in the quick look. i do remember in shadows falling even though i was holding the grab button.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By cstrang

It's just Brad being Brad, pulling Brads.

herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By herocide
@DeeGee said:

Ocarina of Time 3D quick look.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

STOP HITTING THE BOX BRAD, DAMMIT.
Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Ghostiet
@Ventilaator said:

@benjaebe said:

@CptBedlam said:

Are these threads really necessary? I think a fewhundred comments full of rage are kind of enough.

I would agree. It's been said before but it's difficult to talk and play at the same time. It wouldn't hurt for them to brush up for a few minutes before a quick look to cover some basic mechanical stuff like the grip meter in SotC, but I'm honestly not too bothered by it.
Yup, playing and talking is hard. For everyone. That's why tne phrase is "Pulling a Brad" and not "Pulling a guy who tries to film while playing", and that's why the community is constantly whining about Brad and not any other member of the staff.  Because everyone sucks at it. All the time always.

"Pulling a Brad" is a running gag from the GameSpot era, so it has little to do with Giant Bomb. Also, someone made "pulling a Brad" lists for other staff members and as far as I remember, Ryan or Jeff has GREATLY surpassed Brad's death count.

I think it's more of a case of Brad not paying attention or not giving a fuck, since he often sounds bored in QLs. If you watch stuff like some Mortal Kombat, the Quake TNT or the Doom QL, he can be pretty good actually.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Sayishere

This is very true in the Deadly Premonition ER, i can sense a few moments were Ryan was gonna snatch the controller out of his hands!

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#79  Edited By grilledcheez

Brad may not be able to pick and play games as well as the others, but he's also able to dominate at games he cares about.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By musclerider

Trying to describe a game while playing it can often be difficult. Nothing wrong with being bad at a game as long as everyone gets a good idea of what its like from the QL. If I tried to carry on a conversation while playing Street Fighter I would probably lose every match I got into.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I like Brad quick looks, I never get the vibe that he's uninterested in something like a lot of you guys seem to.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By soldierg654342

I don't begrudge Brad for not picking up on the grip meter and constantly falling off. I've tried carrying conversations while playing a game and things did not go so well. I do begrudge Ryan for not figuring it out and making Brad aware of it.  

Unless this site has shifted it's purpose to being solely a source of entertainment, in which case it's all good. 

wafflez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By wafflez

I think he just gets really nervous.  I know he gets butterflies during the live podcasts.  Going from playing the game in private to  having hundreds (thousands?) of people watching you play a 10 year old game for the first time in 10 years.. might be a little stressful 

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think its pretty entertaining

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By ViciousReiven

I can't stand Brad QLs anymore, yes I realize' playing games and talking is hard lol', but the rest of the GB crew is better at it than him. 
That being said I'd rather watch him on TNT, he does so much better when he's just playing.  

The one thing that really bothers me though is misinformation and when they simply don't know what they're doing, mainly happening in games they don't play before doing a QL.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#86  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I love my Quick Looks as much as the next guy, but it's a little crazy when I can predict exactly how it will go because Brad is in it. SotC had me crying on the inside.

That's what makes it so much fun! Plus you learn to not come to Giant Bomb if you want anything deeper than a QL EX.

Just imagine all those Farming Simulator 2011 people. WHAT ABOUT THEM!?

Well Ryan did at least make his clueless mind enjoyable to watch.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#87  Edited By The_Nubster
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Cheesebob said:

I do find it hilarious that in pretty much every Quick look with brad in it, he either dies, fails or loses in some way

And blames the game, someone or something else for it more than half of the time. The most recent Quick Look, for example:  "I just went through the entire quick look not realizing that the letters were weighted." -Brad
That's not blaming the game. He admitted he didn't know about the mechanics, so that's why he wasn't doing well. He didn't know which letters to look for. He didn't say, "If these letters weren't weighted, I would have won!" 

And he says a few times he's not as good at the game as he thought he would have been. He isn't blaming other things, he's clearly acknowledging his shortcomings.
MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By MeierTheRed

Well talking and recording your game at the same time, may not be the easiest feat for most people. I would probably fuck up a few time also if i had to answer questions or make interesting banter while playing/recording.

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Brad is doing a public-service, dying so you don't have to...learn from his mistakes.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@The_Nubster said:

And he says a few times he's not as good at the game as he thought he would have been. He isn't blaming other things, he's clearly acknowledging his shortcomings.

That was one example out of several, but the implication was that he would have done better had he known about the letters being weighted, which surprised even the developer because he had said it in the beginning of the Quick Look. By blaming other things, I meant things like lack of information that is clearly stated. 

Others are Brad blaming his team mates in the Ms. Splosion Man QL when it was his fault, blaming the controls in the SotC QL even though it was he who wasn't understanding a simple mechanic, blaming his team mates for some of his manoeuvres during the end of a TNT when he was playing ITSP, complaining about his gun being poor when choosing a melee class in the Warhammer 40k QL... The list goes on. 
fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#91  Edited By fobwashed

@Meowshi said:

I don't think it's too ridiculous to get annoyed when he goes, "Now I remember just how frustrating this game can be", because he's blaming the game for his own shortcomings.

These are the only times I'm annoyed by his deaths or failings. Aside from blaming the game for his own mistakes or inability to play, I have no problems with his mistakes or inability to play. "A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else."

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By sdharrison

It does seem oddly counterintuitive to assign a lot of quicklooks to the one member of the staff MOST infamous for his inability to effectively play games while talking. 

I think the negative feedback is coming on the heels of what seems like more than the usual amount of Brad run videos, and it came to a head after he went out of his way to blame the game for being "fucking frustrating"  when it was his own inept play dragging the experience down.  

So...  There you have it.  For whatever reason the folks at GB want Brad running a lot of quicklooks.  A task which does not play to his strengths and irritates a lot of viewers.  

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

#93  Edited By Chocobodude3

Its not easy playing games and talking at the same time.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@stoodspoon said:
Its not easy playing games and talking at the same time.
People keep saying this. If that was his problem, why would he blame the game and label it as "frustrating" instead of just acknowledging that talking and playing isn't that easy and explain that he might be missing something or not paying enough attention to what was going on?
Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Barrock

I was actually thinking "What's up with Ryan and the quick looks"? He's in almost all of them now.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#96  Edited By ThePickle

Ryan is even worse at games than Brad. Brad at least has the banana mouth to keep playing. Fuck the haters, Brad ruuuuuuulllllllllllleeeeeez.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By swoxx

It would seem he had problems gripping the game mechanics in the sotc quick look

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I don't think it means he doesn't care or is bad at games, it's just that his thought process is different. I know people in real life who inadvertently tune things out and never seem to take the easy route to solving a problem, and it can be incredibly frustrating watching them do something. I think Brad is sort of the same way.

But it is a little irritating when he blames the game even though it's his fault.

Zolfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Zolfe

Brad is the reason Valve hires behavioral psychologists to help out with level design.
he's just to quick too rush into things, just doesn't explore other possibilities beyond whatever carrot is in front of him.  just think, whenever you start a game, there's usually not much action, not much to talk about, not much to show, Brad usually tries to show a lot of action fast, so he might be missing instructions or whatever thing that we're usually yelling at our TVs about.

he definitely knows what he's doing once he's played the game for a few hours. but if the game is new to him or he hasn't played the game in awhile (SoTC), then prepare yourself.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#100  Edited By Dagbiker

the problem i have with Brad, and not just Brad, but all reviewers who do this, they pass up a part of the game as useless without giving it a second look. the example i have is Brad in the EYE quick look, where he says the tutorials are useless, and 10 seconds later he is learning basic game functions from them. that kinda pisses me off.